PDA

View Full Version : Viking exhibit music?

sagitarius
10-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Might need to go in Rumours?

When we were at Epcot on Wednesday, we stoppped into the stave church in Norway which has the viking exhibit inside.
Anyhow, the background music playing was, without a doubt, from the Lord of The Rings soundrack.
Is there any reasoning behind this choice, since Imagineering could have just as easily composed something fitting for it?
I would imagine that they would have to have gotten liscensing to play it. Any thoughts?

ILoveLegos
10-27-2007, 04:25 PM
I spent a good 20 minutes studying the exhibit, I found it facinating. Unfortunately, I never saw the Lord of the Rings Movie (I did read the book) so I didn't know the music score - but the whole exhit was very interesting specially the "red" viking. I like the attention to details on the clothing. Those were some really big guys! Hagar the Horrible, they were not! Great observation about he music though, I'd be interested to hear if anyone can confirm your observations.

WDWGuru77
10-27-2007, 07:03 PM
The music you're referring to is actually NOT from the LOTR soundtrack(especially considering I have the complete recordings for the first two movies and just the reg. soundtrack for the third at the moment). The song you're looking for is by Jan Garbarek & Hilliard Ensemble. Name of the song is Parce Mihi Domine(Officium). The song is very similar to what is used in LOTR, but is not part of it. I do have the song available within my vast reportoire(sp?) of WDW music files if you want. :D

sagitarius
10-27-2007, 07:15 PM
The music you're referring to is actually NOT from the LOTR soundtrack(especially considering I have the complete recordings for the first two movies and just the reg. soundtrack for the third at the moment). The song you're looking for is by Jan Garbarek & Hilliard Ensemble. Name of the song is Parce Mihi Domine(Officium). The song is very similar to what is used in LOTR, but is not part of it. I do have the song available within my vast reportoire(sp?) of WDW music files if you want. :D

I am 100% positive that it was "The King of The Golden Hall" off of the Two Towers soundtrack.
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind what so ever.
There were 2 other people in my party that are HUGE LOTR fans like myself and we all heard the exact same thing.

P.S. I also have the full recordings of all three movies and have seen the florida orchestra preform the score live.

MCFantasia
10-27-2007, 07:46 PM
I remember there being a discussion about this when the exhibit first opened (or shortly thereafter). There is at least one song from TLOTR that plays in the Vikings! exhibit. Disney does use songs that they did not compose themselves in the parks (I've heard some bizarre music choices piped into the Studios for that matter). Only real conclusion found for this scenario is that the song was already composed, fit the need for the exhibit, and it was probably cheaper to buy the rights to the song than to compose something new for a "non-revenue generating" exhibit.

WDWGuru77
10-27-2007, 07:48 PM
Well, then they must have updated the song then since I was last there in Nov. 2006 because I always stop at the stave church since so few people know that you can even go into it. :secret: Although I am correct in the original song that was used lasting just over 6 minutes long. At first though I couldn't find the song you mentioned until I went to the single cd edition of the soundtrack...they don't list The King Of The Golden Hall on the Complete Recordings of The Two Towers set which is a 3 cd + 1 dvd set so it must be mixed in with one of the tracks. I'll be hearing the music for myself though in Nov. this year so I'll be able to compare it. :D

Altair
10-27-2007, 08:10 PM
Here's your buddy:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2100565580053696626npUWjX

ILoveLegos
10-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Here's your buddy:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2100565580053696626npUWjX

Awesome - Impressive dude!