PDA

View Full Version : Bklyn Chick's DL Trip Day 7: 10/20/07 and final thoughts

BklynChick
10-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Up at 6:30am to finish packing before we leave for the airport. Super Shuttle was due to pick us up at 7:55am but called at 7:40am to say they were downstairs if we were ready. We had already checked out so we were good to go. There was one other family in the van but they were headed to LAX, so we were the first stop. Found that Long Beach Airport is a bit lacking for breakfast beyond muffins and pastries (apparently there is a restaurant on the 2nd floor that is being renovated). Since we weren’t going to be back in New York until 7:30pm local time and there were no meals on the flight, I would have liked to have a hot breakfast. Our flight was delayed 45 minutes because...wait for it...they didn’t have pilots! They told us there was a schedule mix-up and they ended up having to pull pilots off another flight. To make up for it, they gave us free movies (I watched “The Simpsons Movie”). We landed at JFK without incident and were home by 8:30pm.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

- October is much busier than it used to be, thanks to HalloweenTime. Try to hit the parks Mon-Thurs if possible, otherwise be patient. If this is what it is like in October, I can’t imagine what it looks like in the summer months. As much as I enjoyed HalloweenTime, I might plan my next trip for September, since I’ve done Halloween at WDW and DL.

- GCH is amazing. I’m probably spoiled now and won’t be able to stay anywhere else when I visit DLR!

- White Water Snacks is really a hidden gem (I should probably stop talking about it so it stays hidden!). Even I you aren’t staying at GCH, it’s a great place for a quick breakfast or lunch. I just wish they stayed open later at night for an after park coffee or snack.

- I was very satisfied with Fantasmic Riverside Seating and would recommend it. I was afraid it would be a letdown after balcony seating but it wasn’t.

- Didn’t see any Dream Team members but did see many people walking around with Dream Fastpassess at both parks.

- As far as character meals go, I would pick Ariel’s Grotto over Goofy’s Kitchen.

- Having the Disney Visa turned out to be a good deal. Maybe not as good as some of the deals we used to get with other cards (i.e. Disney Club) but still... between the discounted room package, the freebies, the DD discount card and our reward cards, we probably got about $800-$900 worth out of it.

NotaGeek
10-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Thank you SO much for the great reports! You made a very boring day at work almost (yeah, just almost) tolerable! :thumbsup:

I am so glad that you had a great time on your trip. I have never stayed at GCH, I always choose the Disneyland Hotel but I swear after reading your report I am going to have to give the hotel a try!

:mickey:

Melanie
10-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Thank you so much for reporting. I've really enjoyed reading about your trip with your mom. :thumbsup:

And I'm not really surprised you didn't see any Dream Team folks, since we seem to hear that more and more. It seems to me to be more of the Year of a Million Letdowns.

tinkwest
10-29-2007, 11:22 AM
What a wonderful trip you had! Thanks for all of the details.

Don't feel bad. You're not the only one that didn't see a Dream Team. I was at DLR quite often during the first six months of "YOAMD" and I never saw a Dream Team. I did see guests with the special Fastpasses and Mickey ears, so they must have been there. But I always got the feeling that if you didn't arrive at opening you would miss it all.

Your vacation sounds like it was just perfect as it was! No Dream Team necessary!

disneydrmr
10-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks for sharing your trip! ANd your tips (on White Water Snacks...:D)... maybe everyone visited in October and we'll have small crowds only during my visit this week...

Lacy
10-31-2007, 11:04 PM
- Having the Disney Visa turned out to be a good deal. Maybe not as good as some of the deals we used to get with other cards (i.e. Disney Club) but still... between the discounted room package, the freebies, the DD discount card and our reward cards, we probably got about $800-$900 worth out of it.

Just curious....what are the freebies and DD discount card? I knew about the free 5X7 character photo but are there other freebies? Do you just use your Visa to pay at DD to get the discount or do you need another card?

Thanks again for your trip reports!

ChipnDaleGal
11-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Thank you so much for taking all the time to write up all your wonderful reports. I so enjoyed reading all of the adventures that you and your mom had together. :mickey:

BklynChick
11-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Just curious....what are the freebies and DD discount card? I knew about the free 5X7 character photo but are there other freebies? Do you just use your Visa to pay at DD to get the discount or do you need another card?

Thanks again for your trip reports!

In my travel documents for the Disney Visa Rewards package, I had vouchers for:
- lanyard and two free pins (1 to keep, 1 to trade)
- Disneyland backpack

I also got a Downtown Disney Fun Card which gave me discounts at many of the restaurants and shops. All I had to do to get the discount was show the card.

MegaDisney
11-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Great reports! Thanks again for posting, but I do have one tiny complaint....

Your reports make me wanna go to DISNEYLAND NOW!!!!

Sounds like you and your Mother had a fantastic time!