PDA

View Full Version : Bklyn Chick's DL Trip Day 5: 10/18/07

BklynChick
10-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Today was our day At DCA. Since the park opens later than DL, we decided to walk over to La Brea Bakery for breakfast. There was a line for the quick service counter - very popular. I was disappointed in the coffee cake - it was much better last trip. I enjoyed the bacon and egg croissant sandwich much more (comes with breakfast potatoes just the way I like them!).

As far as getting into the parks via the GCH entrance...I read on Intercot that GCH guests could get in at 9:30am using the special entrance and ride Soarin. When I asked at the front desk, I was told that program was ended when they started EE at DL. Still, we got to the entrance at 9:45am and they were already letting people in. I made a beeline for Soarin and waited about 10 minutes to ride (don’t know why Mom won’t try it....). As soon as I got out I grabbed a FP so I could ride later. We went over to Candy Corn Acres and took some pictures (my camera and Photopass). Then we walked over to get our free Disney Visa photo. This used to be at Ariel’s Grotto before they started the princess breakfast, so now it is at the Vineyard Room (or, at least for us, at Seasons of the Vine). One family was finishing up as we entered and there was one more couple ahead of us. We showed the photographer that we each had our own Disney Visa on separate accounts (that way we got 2 free pictures). We were lucky enough to catch Mickey in his vacation gear right before they changed characters. Mickey was very nice and the photos came great.

Next stop was Hollywood Boulevard, where we rode Muppets (best preshow ever!) and Monsters Inc (really enjoyed it). Stopped in the Animation Building to see Crush - is it me, or is the theater here nicer than in Epcot? After some more shopping, I went back to ride Soarin using my FP (45 minute wait for standby). We had just enough time to ride ITTBAB and do the Boudin Bakery Tour before it was time to check in at Ariel’s Grotto.

I had heard mixed reviews on Ariel’s but I was pleasantly surprised by the experience. The food was good - had the salad, fish & chips and cinnamon apples. I liked the orderly way in which you get to see the princesses - Ariel first as you enter, then after you are seated, each of the princesses is introduced in 5-7 minute intervals, then goes round the room. We got to see Cinderella, Belle, Snow White and Aurora. Snow White was particularly fun - she sat with us and chatted for a few minutes. I would have no hesitation recommending this to someone. There was a cute moment when a little girl, about a year old, was toddling around the steps. Ariel crouched down to her level to talk, and then Cinderella saw them and came over as well. Both of them were on the ground playing with this little girl. Awwww!

After lunch we walked around Paradise Pier and rode the Sun Wheel (we wanted a stationary car so we only waited 5 minutes). Then we headed for Greetings from California to get our free 5x7s (you have to pick up same day). Did some shopping, then used our premium seating passes to get in line for the 4:05 showing of Aladdin. Seemed to take forever to get in the theater - they used to seat premium seating much earlier! The show was great as usual. The Genie was fantastic, had us hysterical laughing. I don’t think Mom was expecting such a good show.

DCA closed at 5pm to prepare for Mickey’s Halloween Treat (which we were attending) so we went back to the room for a while. We came back when it reopened at 6:30pm (long lines to get in). When you enter they give you a special park map as well as a trick or treat bag (has Ratatouille on one side, POTC 3 on the other). We were hungry so we went to eat back by Pacific Wharf. This was the one really bad food choice of the trip: Cocina Cucamonga. Be warned, the chicken they use is very spicy! The rice was very dry as well. We should have gotten soup or salad at Pacific Wharf Café. In that area, they had a dance party, crafts and photo opportunities (the line was already very long to see Goofy).

After eating what we could of our dinner, we went to Golden Dreams/Screams and took a Photopass picture with Lady Tremaine and Cinderella’s stepsisters. Then, surprisingly enough, we did a lot of trick-or-treating. I figured Mom wouldn’t be interested but she was the first one to spot the next treat stop and go running over! We ended up with two bags full of candy. There was a lot of hard candy but a good amount of chocolate too. They were also giving out raisins, carrots and flat fruit (kinda like a healthier organic Fruit Roll-Up). We didn’t have costumes (one CM asked what we were dressed as and I told him “New Yorkers”) but lots of adults were dressed up - even those without kids. There were more costumes that at MNSSHP at WDW (probably lots more locals as well).

We went all around the park trick or treating and watching the dance parties (the one in Sunshine Plaza had Remy and Emile, Flik and Atta, Max and Pluto. I took plenty of pictures of Remy since he shares a name with my godson! Before we knew it, it was time to get a spot for the Character Cavalcade. We sat across from Golden Dreams/Screams which was a good spot. It was more like Block Party Bash than a parade, and it was small, but it was still nice. After doing another round of trick or treating along the trail near Grizzly River Run (never mind that we hit that trail on our way to the Character Cavalcade!) we headed back to GCH.

Melanie
10-27-2007, 06:05 PM
I enjoyed reading your description of the party. :mpumpkin: Never eaten at Cocina Cucamonga. Thanks for the warning!

tinkwest
10-29-2007, 10:54 AM
..... We didn’t have costumes (one CM asked what we were dressed as and I told him “New Yorkers”) .....

:haha: I like that response!

disneydrmr
10-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Never eaten at Cocina Cucamonga. Thanks for the warning!

Yeah, thanks for the warning! I had planned to grab a bite here during our day at DCA... and thanks for telling about Ariel's Grotto.. it's another meal we will be doing.. glad you enjoyed the fish - I was debating between the fish and the meatloaf...

Lacy
10-31-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm really enjoying your trip reports. They are getting me very excited for my trip in one month! Thanks for posting.

One question: What is premium seating for the Aladdin show and how do you get it?

ChipnDaleGal
11-02-2007, 06:23 AM
I want to attend one of DCA's Halloween parties. It sounds like you had a lot of fun during the one you were at. Thanks for another great report. :mickey:

BklynChick
11-02-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm really enjoying your trip reports. They are getting me very excited for my trip in one month! Thanks for posting.

One question: What is premium seating for the Aladdin show and how do you get it?

I had the premium seating as part of my Disney Visa package - it came on a voucher that was with my travel documents. I believe Walt Disney Travel Company packages and possibly AAA packages come with it, too.

Basically, you wait for the show in a separate area and you are let in before general seating, meaning you have your pick of the seats. On my last trip, I sat front row center but this time we sat a few rows back, as it is easier to see everything going on.