PDA

View Full Version : Bklyn Chick's DL Trip Day 4: 10/17/07

BklynChick
10-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Got to sleep later this morning since we weren’t doing the parks and our PS at Goofy’s Kitchen wasn’t until 9am. As we walked over to DLH, it started to rain :( . Checked in and waited about 10 minutes to be seated. While we were there, we saw Goofy, Chip, Dale, Baloo and Cinderella. Took our time eating so we could see all of them and take pictures. I wasn’t 100% satisfied with my meal here. I know that it is billed as a brunch and not a breakfast, but I thought I remembered much more breakfast foods here on my last trip. Some of the breakfast items were dry and overcooked. I should have made some better choices. Still, I filled up on sweets at the end, and you really don’t go to most character meals for the food.

We exited the restaurant building to find that the rain had stopped and the sun was out :D . Went to the gift shop to look around, then walked the grounds of the hotel so Mom could see. On our way over to Paradise Pier (she wanted to see where I stayed last time), I went to the Walt Disney Travel Company office at the end of DD to redeem my voucher for a free backpack (lots of good stuff with the Disney Visa travel package!). Saw a couple getting married in the DLH gazebo on our way to Paradise Pier. Showed Mom the hotel lobby and the pool area. Can’t believe the huge waterslide they built since my last trip.

Walked back through DD to GCH. The sun was still peeking in and out of the clouds, but we decided to head for the pool anyway and take our chances. The pool area at GCH is amazing. Even if you don’t want to go in the water, the chaise lounges all have huge thick cushions that you can sit on and soak up some sun. The pool wasn’t as warm as we had hoped so we only swam a little while. While we were sitting near the pool drying off, a CM came by to see if we wanted to order food or drinks. Before long, the sun came out in force and it started to warm up. I looked up and saw that there were no clouds nearby, so I took the opportunity to leave Mom at the pool and run into DCA and ride Grizzly River Run (threw on shorts and a t-shirt over my bathing suit). Rode twice, first time with some local teenagers, second time in my own raft by myself. The first time I got wet, the second time I got SOAKED! It was the geyser at the end that got me. Went back to the pool and joined Mom in the hot tub. After we got out, we relaxed in the sun and had a snack (Mickey pretzel with cheese and a soda) before heading back to the room to get ready to go to the spa.

The spa in GCH is a Mandara Spa (they have locations around the world). They were a little short staffed when we were there but we still had a great experience (thank goodness, because it wasn’t cheap!). We had tea in the quiet waiting area while waiting for our appointments. Mom had a facial, I had a Balinese massage. My masseuse was wonderful and did a great job (I was a little sore the next day but in a good way). After we were finished, we were given little bottles of Dasani water with Disney decorations (they were also for sale in the parks) and told we could come back anytime that week to use the sauna, steam room and showers.

We took a break in our room before heading out to DD for dinner. We decided on House of Blues since we had never eaten there. This was one of our favorite meals of the trip. We shared an appetizer (Spinach Artichoke Dip), a side salad, and entrees (I had ribs and Mom had the steak). The ribs are a whole rack, so even between the two of us we couldn’t finish.

After dinner we walked around DD. The temperature dipped once the sun went down so I went back to the room to get a heavier jacket (I LOVE being so close to everything!). We went in all the shops and spent a really long time in WOD. After we were finished shopping, we walked back down towards WOD to get kettle corn at the cart outside the store. You will always find a line at this stand - the smell of the kettle corn draws everyone in! With such high demand, the kettle corn is always fresh. I used to think I didn’t like kettle corn, but that was because the first few times I tried it, it wasn’t made right. You get a small bag for $3.00 and the large is just $2.00 more. The small bag was big enough that I actually brought some of the leftover home with me.

We got back to the room about 9:30pm and watched TV/read till lights out at 11pm.

raevnzno
10-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Great reports. Sounds like you had a terrific time. I love it when the 'east coasters' have such fun at DLR

Melanie
10-27-2007, 06:00 PM
What a relaxing day from start to finish! :)

tinkwest
10-29-2007, 10:46 AM
..... I looked up and saw that there were no clouds nearby, so I took the opportunity to leave Mom at the pool and run into DCA and ride Grizzly River Run (threw on shorts and a t-shirt over my bathing suit). Rode twice, first time with some local teenagers, second time in my own raft by myself. The first time I got wet, the second time I got SOAKED! It was the geyser at the end that got me. .....

In your own raft?! Wow. The convenience of going on this one ride, getting soaked, and then taking a few steps back to your hotel to change is almost reason enough to stay at GCH, IMO.

The Spa sounds wonderful.

disneydrmr
10-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Wow! I'm getting so excited for my own trip by reading about yours. I'd 'heard' that things were quite close together out there.. but the way you describe it sounds like we'll be able to hop to our rooms if we need something and hop back with no issues! Awesome! I"m enjoying your reports and am off to read the next one!

MegaDisney
10-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Another fantastic day, and you didn't even hit the parks..hardly!

BEWARE THE GEYESER!!!!:mickey::number1:

I agree about HOB, I have enjoyed every meal I have eaten there. Another overlooked spot is the ESPN Zone.

ChipnDaleGal
11-02-2007, 06:20 AM
Another great day for you and your mom. I love standing on the side of Grizzly River Run and watching that crazy geyser soak people, especially when they don't know it is coming! :mickey: