PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Butter for sale at resorts?

ILoveLegos
10-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Just an observation, my family arrived September 30, 2007 and made a stop at the POR general store and bought some room snacks. Like bread, milk and we tried to find it but there was not any peanut butter. None for all 7 days that we stayed there. There was a lot of "Cheese Whiz", salsa and jelly but no PB. It became our silly running quest to find a jar of peanut butter on property. We checked the shops at the Polynesian, the Grand Floridian and Animal Kingdom as well. We finally did turn up one jar on a shelf at AKL - it was our next to the last day in the park, LOL. We didn't buy it to save it for the next family that wanted to have some peanut butter. I think the brand was Jiff. Any chance that Disney has pulled peanut butter off the shelves due to the containmination earlier this year and have decided not to restock it? Well, I dunno but our next trip in January will be B.Y.O.P.B. - hehehe. Well not really nut I thought is was funny to write it. Seriously though, I thought I'd check to see if any others have noticed this trend or if we happened to be there with a lot of other peanut butter eaters who put a run on the stuff? (It happens to the milk and bread in NJ whenever they forecast a snowstorm- LOL) Basically I'm just curious about it, and it's not something that I've seen another post about so I thought I'd put it "out there" for intercoters.

Tink#64
10-26-2007, 10:22 PM
That's funny! We've packed our jar of peanut butter before! DS (11) is a peanut butter addict! He often gets the box lunch at Everything Pop that comes with a Smuckers PBJ! I can understand the search!

Sorry, I've never looked for a jar of PB at WDW so I can't help, your post just caught my eye because of our PB crazy kid!:mickey:

BronxTigger
10-26-2007, 11:23 PM
I had a similar quest in August at WDW for Icy Hot or something similar to soothe my aching muscles. No luck...ANYWHERE! I actually asked first aid at MGM where I could find it and she looked in a book of all the first aid type things for sale at all the resort gift shops....nothing of the sort on any on-site list. I even walked to the Hess station across the street from Pleasure Island ...none their either! NOTHING!

Fast forward to my October trip and I don't need the stuff and I'm not looking for it...and there is a tube of Bengay in CSR's gift shop.

Go figure.

disneydeb
10-26-2007, 11:35 PM
We ALWAYS bring PB & crackers in our suitcase to WDW for those emergencies!:blush:

mickeysworld
10-26-2007, 11:57 PM
We were there 9/10-9/14 and we bought a jar at POFQ! And there were a couple of jars on the shelf so I guess there must have been a run on pb before you arrived! :tasty:

LibertyTreeGal
10-27-2007, 06:34 AM
I had a similar quest in August at WDW for Icy Hot or something similar to soothe my aching muscles. No luck...ANYWHERE! I actually asked first aid at MGM where I could find it and she looked in a book of all the first aid type things for sale at all the resort gift shops....nothing of the sort on any on-site list. I even walked to the Hess station across the street from Pleasure Island ...none their either! NOTHING!

Fast forward to my October trip and I don't need the stuff and I'm not looking for it...and there is a tube of Bengay in CSR's gift shop.

Go figure.

You should have taken the hint and treated yourself to a massage at the spa ;)

Carol
10-27-2007, 07:16 AM
We've purchased peanut butter at Saratoga Springs.

BronxTigger
10-27-2007, 08:13 AM
You should have taken the hint and treated yourself to a massage at the spa ;)

Funny you say that....that's the same thing ElenitaB said when I called her from POFQ to tell her I was indulging in some beignets....and that the POFQ gift shop didn't have any Icy Hot either!

mykidsmom
10-28-2007, 08:35 AM
I found the single serving packets (like jelly) at POFQ where you buy the beignets and bagels...love PB on a toasted bagel, mmmmm...it would be enough to make a sandwich with plenty extra. I was not charged for it. One year I remember a basket being out either at the condiment section or on the counter near the beinets. I'll be headed there in January, again looking for my PB.

wedway76
10-28-2007, 11:26 AM
It probably has nothing to do with PB not being available in the parks, but because it seems like soooooo many kids are allergic to peanut butter lately, many places are careful not to have peanuts and peanut butter around.

My DW recently started helping out at the cafeteria of a local school and the kids are forbidden to bring in peanut butter. If a child brings in a PB sandwich they eat at a table alone, when they are done the table is cleaned with hot soapy water and a letter is sent home reminding the parents not to send them in with PB anymore.

mousetrapper
10-29-2007, 12:35 PM
I found the single serving packets (like jelly) at POFQ where you buy the beignets and bagels...love PB on a toasted bagel, mmmmm...it would be enough to make a sandwich with plenty extra. I was not charged for it. One year I remember a basket being out either at the condiment section or on the counter near the beinets. I'll be headed there in January, again looking for my PB.

I believe I've seen the single serving "pods" of PB at the CBR food court as well - alongside the free packets of sugar, ketchup, etc. - so perhaps these are available at all the resorts.

Cinderelley
10-29-2007, 08:44 PM
I believe I've seen the single serving "pods" of PB at the CBR food court as well - alongside the free packets of sugar, ketchup, etc. - so perhaps these are available at all the resorts.

They had the single serving pb containers at CBR when we were there in Sept. BUT, they were 50 cents a piece. They were right at the cash register.

LONESTAR
10-29-2007, 11:40 PM
Wildneress lodge has the PB pods also but when I was there last jaunary there was no charge. The Meadows trading post in Fort Wildneress had the jars of PB for sale.

Tink#64
10-29-2007, 11:49 PM
It probably has nothing to do with PB not being available in the parks, but because it seems like soooooo many kids are allergic to peanut butter lately, many places are careful not to have peanuts and peanut butter around.

My DW recently started helping out at the cafeteria of a local school and the kids are forbidden to bring in peanut butter. If a child brings in a PB sandwich they eat at a table alone, when they are done the table is cleaned with hot soapy water and a letter is sent home reminding the parents not to send them in with PB anymore.

I'm sorry, that sounds a little over cautious! Unless the person that has the allergy eats the other childs lunch, is this something to be concerned about? My oldest DS would starve! He takes a Smuckers PB & J every single day! I don't think I'd like the school telling me what kind of sandwhich my child can bring from home. Not bringing things like cokes, yes I completely agree, but PB & J! I'm shocked!

MNNHFLTX
10-30-2007, 08:54 AM
I'm sorry, that sounds a little over cautious! Unless the person that has the allergy eats the other childs lunch, is this something to be concerned about? My oldest DS would starve! He takes a Smuckers PB & J every single day! I don't think I'd like the school telling me what kind of sandwhich my child can bring from home. Not bringing things like cokes, yes I completely agree, but PB & J! I'm shocked!It's unforunate, but a lot of schools are having to follow these strict policies. Some kids are so allergic to peanuts that even a trace of them (or peanut butter) left on a table can cause a severe allergic reaction.

Anyway, to get back to the topic at hand, I have seen the peanut butter packets at the food courts at the resort too, although I don't recall seeing containers of peanut butter in the resort stores. :mickey:

vamaggie
10-30-2007, 09:31 AM
I'm sorry, that sounds a little over cautious! Unless the person that has the allergy eats the other childs lunch, is this something to be concerned about? My oldest DS would starve! He takes a Smuckers PB & J every single day! I don't think I'd like the school telling me what kind of sandwhich my child can bring from home. Not bringing things like cokes, yes I completely agree, but PB & J! I'm shocked!

It has become a fact of life in our world. My DD's preschool is a peanut free school since some kids have really bad reactions. My DS's elem school (900 kids) has a special "peanut free" table in the cafe where kids with allergies that are severe can sit. The kids who sit there get to invite 1 friend to sit with them and it has become somewhat of a "status" thing to be asked to eat there. Nice to see that the school has made a way for the kids w allergies to be safe but not seem ostracized.