PDA

View Full Version : Old EPCOT

Mickey Magic
10-25-2007, 10:45 PM
:mickey:Ok...Tell me I'm not crazy! I barely recall an air/boat show in EPCOT. It was a day time show with stunt gliders, planes, boats...Is this my imagination, or did I really see this WAY back when EPCOT opened? I've searched the net and found 1 possible photo. I want to show some pics to the kids. Does anyone else remember this? :mickey:

JPL
10-25-2007, 11:11 PM
The show was called Surprise in the Skies and along with aerial show it featured daytime fireworks and large ballons of the characters in each country. It was centered around World Showcase Lagoon. The show started in 1991 to help commemorate WDW's 20th Anniversay.

Melanie
10-26-2007, 12:23 AM
Oh yeah, I remember Suprise in the Skies. I have some prints of it somewhere, but they might be in storage. I'll try and find them if I have some time.

WDWGuru77
10-26-2007, 01:03 AM
Oh wow, that is going back a ways there in time. Got some video footage of it somewhere...maybe even the entire show now that I think about it. Now I'm going to have to find it and watch it all over again. :D

AwPhooey
10-26-2007, 08:18 AM
If you search YouTube for "Surprise in the Skies," there are two results. One video is 5:11 and the other is 3:16.

I never saw the show in the park, so I'm not sure if the 5:11 video is the complete show.

pookiebear38
10-26-2007, 03:20 PM
I remember a different show in the mid-80's. It was called "Skyleidescope." (Forgive the spelling). It featured the ultra-light airplanes and there were boats on the lagoon. I would actually have to bug the parents for pics on that one because it was pre-photo time for me. Unfortunately, we got no videos because the video camera we had at the time decided not to work after we waited for 1 1/2 hours for the show! Go fig.... :D

Mickey Magic
10-27-2007, 12:56 AM
I remember a different show in the mid-80's. It was called "Skyleidescope." (Forgive the spelling). It featured the ultra-light airplanes and there were boats on the lagoon. I would actually have to bug the parents for pics on that one because it was pre-photo time for me. Unfortunately, we got no videos because the video camera we had at the time decided not to work after we waited for 1 1/2 hours for the show! Go fig.... :D:mickey:It wasn't the one in the 90's, that's when I first got married and had to take a few years off of WDW(newlyweds with no $$, ya know).If anyone has anything...I would love to see it. I seem to recall they stopped it because a pilot dies during a rehearsal. Anybody else remember this?? This was pre photo taking for me too, so any pics would be great!:mickey:

EPCOT84
10-27-2007, 02:13 AM
Anybody else remember this?? This was pre photo taking for me too, so any pics would be great!:mickey:

When I read your question, I first thought of with this image of several crop dusters streaking across the lagoon leaving a rainbow of smokey colors. I never saw it in person but that image stuck from somewhere, probably PR material. So I googled "Skyleidoscope", thank you pookiebear38, and yes, there are some stuff out there, including the image I was thinking about.

Hope that helps :figment:

WDWGuru77
10-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Speaking of older shows, I checked my archives of WDW music files and came across one that is for Epcot called Laserphonic Fantasy. When listening to it, it is very much 80's sounding type of music using mostly synthesized music...any ideas if this was a true show at Epcot and are there any pics or video footage of it somewhere if it was?

JPL
10-28-2007, 12:15 AM
Laserphonic was the earliest inception of what later became Illuminations.