PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Food & Wine Festival Recipes

TheSorcererofFantasia
10-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Those of you who truly know me know I LOVE food. It goes without saying I collect cookbooks and read them as if they are regular novels. :blush: This past trip managed to find two fantastic African cookbooks, Disney's newest cookbook, a signed Walter Staib book (from The Cook, The Book and The Bottle) and of course I found the 2007 Food & Wine Festival Cookbook!! This book contains all the recipes for each of the tastings available at the various Kiosk's around the World Showcase.

If you happened to try any samples and would love to make it at home let me know as I now have the recipes.

Dawneeeey
10-25-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm leaving on Sunday for a week at the world, I will let you know when I get back.

I'm dying to try Boxty!!!

:wave:

BugeyedMuggy
10-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Does it have the recipie for the Red Cocktail in France? I tried to ask them but the language barrier and the fact I had some wine before :D may have diminished my recolection. Also the Monfongo in Dom Republic was a good one to try again. Thanks for your help.

Natazu
10-27-2007, 01:54 AM
Hey Cher, I bought some of the Moroccan Tagine spice the I forgot to get Nirmala's cookbook. Are there any recipes using that spice? I'll trade you some pictures of Ian singing "Uptown Girl" for them.

teamblackwell
10-27-2007, 03:11 AM
Hey,
Could you post the recepies for cheese soup and Zuppa Inglese soup.
Thanks in advance,
Teamblackwell

Kairi_7378
11-01-2007, 09:24 AM
I'd love the recipe for the Canadian cheese soup if it is in there.

azdisneymom
11-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Here is a link for the soup. http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/recipes/default.asp I will be trying it for the first time. Hope it is as yummy as everyone says. :mickey: I know this isn't the cookbook but who can wait to try new recipes!

luvdiznee
11-02-2007, 06:18 AM
If you happened to try any samples and would love to make it at home let me know as I now have the recipes.

That's very kind of you to offer. I won't overwhelm you but 2 of my favorites were the Grilled Lamb Chop from Australia and the Durban Spiced Chicken from South Africa :cloud9:. Even if I just get the ingredients/spices they used in each, that would be helpful. Thank you so much. :mickey:

Caroleh
11-02-2007, 09:02 AM
Do they only offer the cookbook during the food and wine festival? Or better yet, do you think I can find the cookbook when I go in Dec.?

offwego
11-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Any chance it has the bobotie from south africa in it? Or the India's booth receipes? I would love those!

jedigrrrl
11-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Were they selling it at the Festival center?!?!? We didn't really go in there. I WANT IT!!!! Where did you get it?!?

If I can't get it then I might bother you to send me a few recipes. I ate some really yummy stuff this trip.
thanks!
:mickey::mickey:

TheSorcererofFantasia
11-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Hey Cher, I bought some of the Moroccan Tagine spice the I forgot to get Nirmala's cookbook. Are there any recipes using that spice? I'll trade you some pictures of Ian singing "Uptown Girl" for them.

Hi Jym, I don't recall specifically seeing tangine spice in the Food & Wine Festival Cookbook. Did purchase two fabulous South African cookbooks and sure I will find something in those. Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to look for you. BTW just send the pics :thedolls:

TheSorcererofFantasia
11-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Do they only offer the cookbook during the food and wine festival? Or better yet, do you think I can find the cookbook when I go in Dec.?

Doubtful it will still be available in Dec. You could try calling Disney Merchandise and see if they will send you one?

I purchased mine in Food & Wine Festival Center for $13.50. :)

TheSorcererofFantasia
11-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup
Serves 6

¼ pound smoked bacon, finely chopped
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
½ cup celery, finely sliced
1/3 cup carrots, finely chopped
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups whole milk, scaled
2 cups chicken stock
12 ounces grated white cheddar cheese
3 dashes hot sauce
½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
½ cup Canadian Ale, room temperature
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon chives, thinly sliced

1 Sauté the bacon in a large heavy bottom, non-reactive soup pot over a medium heat until wilted but not browned.
2 Add onion, celery and carrots and cook until onions are translucent and bacon has crisped.
3 Sprinkle in flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Stir in milk and stock, a little at a time, blending well to ensure that there are no lumps. Bring liquid to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
4 Remove from heat and whisk in the cheese, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and ale. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5 Divide the soup among six serving bowls and sprinkle each portion with a few chives.
6 Serve Immediately

NOTE: This recipe is different from the one posted in Info Central. Not sure which is correct but I love this one.

TheSorcererofFantasia
11-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Zuppa Inglese
Rum-Soaked Cake with Vanilla Cream, Candied-Fruit and Meringue
Serves 6
Beverage Selection: Braida Moscato de Asti

For Vanilla Cream
6 egg yolks
¾ cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1-inch piece of vanilla bean
1 lemon, zested

For Simple Syrup
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons rum
2 tablespoons triple sec liqueur

For Meringue
6 egg whites
pinch salt
½ cup superfine sugar

1 9-inch sponge cake, store bought or homemade
½ cup assorted diced candied fruit
3 candied-cherries, halved

1 For vanilla cream, beat egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Add flour and blend well. Scald the milk in a medium-sized pan with the vanilla bean and lemon zest. Gradually add the strained milk to the egg mixture and place all the ingredients back to the pan. Stir constantly over low heat until the sauce nearly reaches the boiling point. Continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes, but do not let it boil. Strain and leave to cool, stirring occasionally to prevent a crust from forming. (I use plastic wrap placed right on top of cream)
2 For simple syrup, place water and sugar in a small pan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Boil the syrup for 5 minutes or until slightly reduced. Add rum and triple sec. Set aside.
3 Cut the sponge into three layers. Set one layer on the bottom of a 9-inch spring form pan lined with plastic wrap and liberally brush with simple syrup.
4 Sprinkle ¼ cup candied fruit and cover with ½ of vanilla cream
5 Repeat with another layer of cake, syrup and remaining fruit and cream
6 Add the remaining sponge, brush with syrup and refrigerate until well chilled
7 Just before serving, make the meringue. Place egg whites and pinch of salt in a bowl set over a water bath and whisk until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until the peaks are stiff and shiny.

TheSorcererofFantasia
11-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Grilled Lamb Chops with Caramelized Onions
Serves 4
Beverage Selection: Wolf Blass President’s Selection Shiraz

Marinade
¾ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon lime zest
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
¼ cup finely chopped mint
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
½ teaspoon salt

8 Australian Lamp Chops

Shiraz Glaze
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup thinly sliced onions
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
3 cups Shiraz Wine

1 Combine all the items for the marinade in a shallow dish large enough to place the lamb chops in one layer. Coat both sides of the chops in the marinade and leave for 2 hours at room temperature or up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
2 Heat the butter in a medium size sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are golden brown. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the wine to the pan and bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the wine is reduced to approximately 1 cup or until you have a syrup consistency.
3 Meanwhile, grill the chops for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until desired doneness.
4 To serve, allow two chops per person and pass the Shiraz glaze in a sauceboat

TheSorcererofFantasia
11-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Durban Spiced Chicken on Sugarcane
Makes 4
Beverage Selection: Goat Door Chardonnay

2 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon cloves
½ teaspoon cloves
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

4 sugarcane skewers or bamboo skewers or metal skewers

1 Trim the chicken and cut into large chunks, about 1 ½” large. Transfer the pieces to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
2 In a small bowl, combine all the spices and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the oil to make a paste.
3 Rub the spice paste all over the chicken and leave the meat to marinate for 1 hour.
4 Meanwhile, stand the wooden portion of the sugarcane sticks in a small pitcher and add just enough water to cover the wooden section. Leave to soak while the chicken is marinating. If using bamboo skewers totally soak.
5 Preheat the broiler.
6 Remove the sugarcane sticks from water and divide the chicken on each one, covering only the wooden section.
7 Broil the chicken for 20-25 minutes, turning occationally, or until the chicken is golden.

The skewers are traditionally served with warm squares of cornbread and if you like, a honey mustard sauce.

Personally, I have served this with polenta, Boma’s Mealie bread and Boma Mustard and it was Delish! Have those recipes in my secret stash if you need them.

TheSorcererofFantasia
11-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Bobotie with Mango Chutney
Traditional Beef and Potato Casserole
Makes 6
Beverage Selection: Fairview Sauvignon Blanc

2 slices white bread, 1 inch thick, broken into small pieces
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup finely chopped onions
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 ¾ pounds ground beef
2 tablespoons garam masala (it is a spice)
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
Salt to taste
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon brown sugar
¼ cup lemon juice
1 egg
½ cup golden raisins
½ cup blanched almonds, coarsely chopped
4 bay leaves

For the Topping
2 eggs, beaten
Reserved milk

For Serving
3 cups cooked white rice
Mango Chutney

1 Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Combine the bread and the milk in a small bowl and let the bread soak for at least 10 minutes.
2 Meanwhile, in a heavy 12-inch skillet, heat the oil and butter over moderate heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until the onions are soft and translucent, but not browned. Transfer the onions to a large mixing bowl with a slotted spoon.
3 In the same skillet, without draining the oil and butter, add the beef and cook it, stirring constantly to break up the meat until it is brown. Add the garam masala, turmeric, cumin, coriander, salt and black pepper. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes. Then stir in the sugar and lemon juice. Pour the entire mixture into the bowl with the onions.
4 Drain the bread and squeeze it completely dry. Reserve the milk. Add the bread, egg, raisins and almonds to beef.
5 Combine the ingredients well with a wooden spoon. Taste for seasoning.
6 Pack the beef mixture into a 3-quart soufflé dish, smoothing the top with a spatula. Tuck the bay leaves under the surface of the meat.
7 Make the topping by beating the eggs with the reserved milk (top up to make 1 cup) for 1 minute or until frothy.
8 Slowly pour the mixture over the top of the meat and bake for 30 minutes or until the surface is brown and firm to the touch.
9 Serve the Bobotie at once, accompanied by hot boiled rice and Mango Chutney.

TheSorcererofFantasia
11-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Tomatican con Manchego
Tomato, Corn and Garbanzo Bean Stew with Manchego Cheese
Serves 6
Beverage Selection: Montes Cabernet-Carmenere

For the Vegetables
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups diced onions
1 cup garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
4 cups drained canned tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn kernels
4 cups tomato juice
1 chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
½ cup coarsely chopped cilantrol
½ cup coarsely grated Manchego cheese

For the Salsa
¼ cup coarsely chopped cilantro
¼ cup finely diced green onions
¼ cup finely diced red pepper
¼ cup finely diced celery
¼ cup key lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
Hot sauce to taste
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
2. For the stew, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add the diced onions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until onions are soft.
4. Add the garanzo beans, tomatoes, and corn and cook for another 5 minutes/
5. Stir in chili pepper, cumin, and tomato juice. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until slightly reduced. Taste for seasoning.
6. Pour the vegetable mixture into an oiled 8” x 9” casserole dish and sprinkle the manchego cheese all over the top of the vegetables.
7. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until the cheese is lightly browned.
8. In the meanwhile, make the salsa by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl. Taste for seasoning and set aside.
9. To serve, divide the vegetables amoung 6 serving plates and pass the Salsa separately.

TheSorcererofFantasia
11-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Hi all I finally found a spare few minutes and typed up and posted some of the requested recipes. Keep your request coming and I will work on typing them up as soon as I can. ;-) Working on the three for India as requested.

For those that are interested I have also included the beverage that was paired with each food item (if it had one).

Barb_A
11-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Thank you for posting these!! :thumbsup:

Here are a couple more when you have time:

Argentina - Dulce de Leche
Canada - Maple Glazed Salmon
Greece - Karidopita
Morocco - Kefta

luvdiznee
11-03-2007, 07:41 AM
Thank You so much! I got my F&W t shirt and a couple pins but so mad I missed the cookbook. Thanks again. :mickey:

TheSorcererofFantasia
11-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Curried Butternut Squash Soup
Serves 4-6
Beverage Selection: Grover Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc

2 tablespoons usli ghee or butter
2 medium onions, peeled and finely sliced
1 teaspoon Madras curry powder
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ginger
2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
4 cups chicken stock or water
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the Garnish
¼ heavy cream
Ground Cinnamon

Paratha bread for accompaniment

1 In a large saucepan, heat the ghee over low heat and stir in the onions, curry, cinnamon and ginger. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to brown, about 8 minutes.
2 Add the squash, stock, and enough salt and pepper to taste. Bring the liquid to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer 25 minutes, uncovered, or until the squash is soft. Set aside to cool slightly before pureeing.
3 Work in small batches, puree the soup in a food processor until smooth. Return the soup to the pan and reheat. Taste for seasoning. (Cher’s note: You can also use an immersion blender to puree or opt to use a potato masher for a rustic chunkier soup)
4 To serve, divide the soup among four serving bowls and drizzle a little cream on top of each serving and sprinkle with a pinch of cinnamon.