PDA

View Full Version : Planet Hollywood: Opinions?

DisneyorBust
10-25-2007, 08:04 PM
We are going to try Planet Hollywood in December: Any opinions? Recommendations?
It sounds like a good place to try but I always like to read other Intercotee's opinions of the food, sevice and atmosphere.:number1:

nicole48040
10-25-2007, 08:27 PM
If you have never been there before the theme is neat and there are lots of interesting things to see. I thought the food was pretty good. All in all, I would say we had a pretty good experience.

IloveDisney71
10-25-2007, 08:53 PM
I've only eaten there one time and it was in June. We were seated on the top level and we were VERY hot and uncomfortable. However, there was a lot to look at and my two DD's and their friends enjoyed it other than the "heat" problem. The food was typical American rest. food and the service was good. I would try it again if it was a cooler month.:)

Narawen
10-25-2007, 09:04 PM
My opinion of PH is similar to mmost of the opinions of Sci-fi Dine in theater on this board. If you've never been to a Planet Hollywood before, the theme is cool, especially for movie buffs. The props and decor are all great, I thought the service was great too. The food is typical american bar/grill. It's not good; not stellar, not bad, but good. I think after you've been once or twice it's ok not to go back, there are alot more creative food options in WDW, but it's deff. worth going once just for the experience.

dan24
10-25-2007, 09:07 PM
my wife and I really like planet hollywood.. our two trips to wdw it has been one on our must stops.. not to bash any wdw rest.. but there are some of them that don't serve great food.. aloha dinner show at polynesian.. not good.. but planet hollywood has great steak .. fajita's great decor and atmosphere.. :thumbsup:

gerald72
10-25-2007, 09:29 PM
We were at WDW for a week in September. Planet Hollywood and Boma are the two restaurants that my kids want to return to next time we visit WDW.

JPL
10-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Planet Hollywood has food on the Fridays and similar chain scale at much higher prices. When it first opened the food was excellent and slowly went downhill. The atmosphere is cool and they do have some fun things to look at but it also loud and often over crowded.

My favorite thing on the menu used to be their Cap n Crunch chicken but the last time I ate the quality of the chicken as well as the portion had decreased significantly.

If you like movies and want to check it out it is still a fun place to eat just don't expect too much from it and you will be fine.

Marker
10-26-2007, 09:17 AM
I've eaten at that Planet Hollywood once, back in '97. We had to wait about 9000 hours to get in. The theming was entertaining for the first 1275 hours of the wait. For me the food was good but typical of other chain family restaurants.

We now pretty much avoid the chain restaurants at WDW. We figure we can do those at other times. We've eated at other Planet Hollywood restaurants in other cities with a much shorter wait. We also have Rainforest and T-Rex restaurants here in KC so we won't likely be trying those there. Not that we don't like them, but we figure there are so many more unique places that we'd rather go someplace that we can't go to at home.

pox24
10-26-2007, 09:33 AM
:ack:

ThanxForNoticin
10-26-2007, 12:31 PM
PH is not a must-do for us, but it is fun, the food is pretty good, and the service has been good. As stated above (in various ways), it can get pretty busy at times, though! If you go, plan accordingly! Enjoy.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-26-2007, 12:34 PM
We are going to try Planet Hollywood in December: Any opinions? Recommendations?
It sounds like a good place to try but I always like to read other Intercotee's opinions of the food, sevice and atmosphere.:number1:
:thumbsup: We ate there the night before our checkin on our last trip and it was Christmas night 2005. We did not have reservations and waited in line for about 45 minutes. That was the only negative other than it is a bit loud...we were pleasantly surprised as we did not plan to eat there it was just convenient. The waitress was outstanding and could answer almost any of the trivia questions on the tables and the choices were varied. I had BBQ ribs and they were messy but great. I would recommend it highly.

GrmGrninGost
10-26-2007, 01:41 PM
LOUD! I had never been in a restaurant where you had to yell to place your order. Now I have! The food was very good and the service was wonderful! Would I go back? Probably not. I thought it was entirely too loud. Of course, this is only my opinion! :mickey:

Hayden's Dad
10-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Would you recommend making reservations or can you just walk up and wait a few minutes?

biodtl
10-26-2007, 03:09 PM
I would make reservations - we were going to go there (because we had a voucher from AAA) and the wait was 2-3 hours.

Tink#64
10-26-2007, 10:40 PM
We've had dinner there 3 out of 4 trips. The experience has definitely went downhill for us. We thoroughly enjoyed our first visit, of course it was a totally new experience for us. We do enjoy looking around at all of the memorabilia, & watching what's on the big screen.ADR's are a must, but even with ADR's we probably waited about an hour to be seated during our last visit. The staff didn't seem to have a very good handle on things in the wait process. No one seemed to know what anyone else was doing, or where we should go to check in with our ADR's. When we finally got seated, in what appeared to be an overflow area almost in the lobby, we couldn't really see anything. I had never noticed tables in this area during previous visits, maybe they were there, but the location stinks! The place was CROWDED! We will not return there for our next trip. :ack:

I would recommend for the first timer, but don't expect 5 star food or service. It is a cool place and food is decent. We like to look in the gift shop & usually buy t-shirts, etc. But now with the seperate gift shop outside, no need for us to eat there!

DisneyorBust
10-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Just want to thank everyone for their opinions! We are going to give it a try and while we are in the area, we will check out the rest of the DTD area. Thanks!

lockedoutlogic
10-27-2007, 10:39 AM
To be honest....

You're kinda ripping yourself if you choose Planet Hollywood over the vast majority of the locations at WDW...

Planet Hollywood is just an inflated chain...one I might add...the went bankrupt and only has about 3 locations left....

It's not a terrible experience...and the food isn't necessarily bad.....but it is really more of a shopping mall near you kinda place than a Disney site...

There are other non-disney chains...especially at downtown....but House of Blues and Rainforest Cafe are more unique and definitely have better food....
Wolfgang Pucks is an entire class better than those....

hope the advice helps...

Jared
10-27-2007, 11:35 AM
I'd skip Planet Hollywood and eat elsewhere. Disney offers so many special restaurants, and Planet Hollywood is no better than an average chain.

If you decided to try it, bring earplugs. I've never been to a louder restaurant in my life.

brewcrew26
10-27-2007, 11:44 AM
I've been to Planet Hollywood's all across the country. They're nothing overly special food-wise. It's mediocre at best. The only thing that I really ever enjoyed was a veggie lasagna, but I don't even know if its on the menu anymore.

If you want a good meal and you're on the DDP (but I don't think PH is on it anyways), I'd suggest trying somewhere else for more bang for your buck.

You should be able to just peruse the memoribilia. I've done that in the past. Just go during off hours maybe in between the lunch and dinner rush.

But, PH is good if you have picky kids. There's a lot of traditional American food that kids will like.

garymacd
10-27-2007, 11:53 AM
We ate at Planet Hollywood on our latest trip. This was our first night in Orlando and before our reservations started.

The food was passable, I have had better steak, but I ate it anyway. I'm not stupid! It was steak, after all. The atmosphere was great. And since we were on DDP we had a coupon for $15 off our meal. That made it worthwhile.

Of course, we also bought the picture package they offered us which cost us an additional $20. No savings there.

Spaceship Tigger
10-29-2007, 07:33 AM
I like PH. It's a neat experience and quite entertaining. The food is fine - like others have said, it's about the same as other American chain restaurants. But so is the quality at a lot of other WDW restaurants, so I think the place is just fine.

tennantsrwe
10-29-2007, 08:55 AM
We ate there on the DDP back in December 2005 and overall it was ok. The food was pretty good, nothing fancy but decent. The service, on the other hand wasn't good at all. We were seated next to a very large party (15+) and our waitress was too busy with them to really wait on us. Maybe it was an isolated experience though. We don't plan on going back because there are other WDW eateries we're interested in trying. However, if you've never been I say give it a try. The decor is neat, and hopefully your service will be better! :thumbsup:

LoriMistress
10-29-2007, 06:36 PM
DH and I ate at PH twice in 2003 and it was bland. You pay for what you get (cheap food/cheap quality.) There are so many other restaurants that are available at WDW and personally, I wouldn't recommend them.