PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Chicken Fried Steak

Marker
10-25-2007, 07:55 PM
My daughter just mentioned that she has never see Chicken Fried Steak on any menu at WDW. After thinking for a few moments, I don't believe I have either.

So, that's my question.... Where is the Chicken Fried Steak? Come to think of it, I don't know if I've ever seen a tenderloin on the menu either.

JPL
10-25-2007, 10:08 PM
I have never noticed it either on any menu at WDW. I want to say they use to serve it at Boatwright's but it's not something I would order so I can't be sure. I think this is one dish you would have to go off property to enjoy.

Tinkerfreak
10-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Not to sound dumb but what is chicken fried steak? Is it more of a southern dish?

JPL
10-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Not to sound dumb but what is chicken fried steak? Is it more of a southern dish?

It's basically breaded and fried steak. In the same style you would fry a chicken cutlet.

KarenP
10-26-2007, 10:31 AM
I have not seen chicken fried steak anywhere at Disney World though it seems like something that should be on the menu at 50's Primetime.

Tinkerfreak
10-26-2007, 10:48 AM
It's basically breaded and fried steak. In the same style you would fry a chicken cutlet.

Wow it sounds like something I would love to try. Thanks for the info.

Marker
10-26-2007, 11:34 AM

I guess I never thought about, but maybe it is more of a southern style thing.

Chicken Fried Steak is typically a piece of round steak, pounded and tenderized, then coated in a breading and fried. Typically (at least from what I've seen) served with mashed potatoes and a nice creamy gravy. Mmmmmm!!!!! Definitely a home comfort food.

I guess it's also sometimes called Country Fried Steak

I've looked over several menus at WDW, and have not found Chicken Fried Steak. I did see a Chicken Fried Chicken, but not steak.

It seems like such a common food that it sure seems like some place at WDW should have it. Likewise, I haven't noticed a good tenderloin sandwich anywhere.

dudeman1975
10-26-2007, 12:02 PM
I did not see Chicken Fried Steak at Disney World. Cracker Barrell has Chicken Fried Steak and Chicken Fried Chicken at a reasonable price with three vegetables and it tastes pretty good.

Scott C
10-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Also remember that a tenderloin sandwich is exclusive to our little corner of the world -- unheard of outside Iowa/MO/IL/IN area

Thanks
Scott C
Evansville IN

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-26-2007, 02:23 PM
My daughter just mentioned that she has never see Chicken Fried Steak on any menu at WDW. After thinking for a few moments, I don't believe I have either.

So, that's my question.... Where is the Chicken Fried Steak? Come to think of it, I don't know if I've ever seen a tenderloin on the menu either.
:blush: Try Chicken Fried Chicken at Rainforest Cafe and for tenderloin-Chefs deFrance

Marker
10-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Also remember that a tenderloin sandwich is exclusive to our little corner of the world -- unheard of outside Iowa/MO/IL/IN area

Thanks
Scott C
Evansville IN

Really!! I honestly don't think I was aware of that. Although I'm not surprised, back when I went to college, a simple 2 hour drive north into Iowa and NO ONE had heard of Biscuits and Gravy..... I didn't know how that was even possible.

So, is my mistake that Chicken Fried Steak is also an isolated regional delicacy? If so, holy cow. No Biscuits & Gravy, no tenderloins, no chicken fried steak..... GLAD I'M LIVING HERE IN THE MIDWEST.

dog-ears
10-26-2007, 05:47 PM
No, I don't think chicken-fried steak is a southern dish ... it's really just a dish that was more popular in previous decades before people were so health conscious. I loved this entree as a child. I grew up in So Calif and you could get chicken-fried steak in a lot of restaurants (in the past) .... and traveling across the US I have seen it in the Southwest as well as the mid-West. Think of it more as diner type food.

vamaggie
10-26-2007, 07:01 PM
So, is my mistake that Chicken Fried Steak is also an isolated regional delicacy? If so, holy cow. No Biscuits & Gravy, no tenderloins, no chicken fried steak..... GLAD I'M LIVING HERE IN THE MIDWEST.

I don't know about how regional it is but IMO it is a southern thing. I grew up in NY and had never even heard of the thing til I moved to VA. Same thing with biscuits & gravy. My DH who grew up in VA loves both of them so I guess it is one of those things you have to grow up eating. For me, I can't seem to take either.

Jared
10-26-2007, 07:06 PM
I'm from New York and rarely see chicken fried steak on a menu. Lots of traditional chains like Applebee's and Denny's offer this dish, but it may be more of a regional selection.

Perhaps when Disney became health-conscious, country fried steak was one of the casualties.

LibertyTreeGal
10-26-2007, 11:12 PM
I don't know where to find chicken Fried Steak (I also don't know why anyone would want to :ack: ) but 50's PTC has Pork Tenderloin on their dinner menu.

Natazu
10-27-2007, 01:47 AM
Interesting question. I don't recall ever seeing chicken fried steak on a menu at Disney. You can get it at Cracker Barrel, so I'm sure Chefs de France can make you something similar for around $24.95.