PDA

View Full Version : Terminator tv series.

caryrae
10-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Anybody heard anything about the new Terminator TV series? Every once in a while I see little clips on tv but it doesn't tell much.

caryrae
10-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Nevermind I found some stuff out, I just didn't know what the title was called. Here's a little info from Wikipedia:

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles is an American television series scheduled to begin on January 14, 2008 on the U.S. television network Fox. It is a continuation of the Terminator film franchise. Produced by Warner Bros. Television and C2-Pictures, it will revolve around the life of Sarah Connor, and her son, John Connor after the events of Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

The series is being executive produced by Terminator 3 producers and C2 Pictures co-presidents Mario Kassar and Andrew G. Vajna, C2 Senior Vice President James Middleton, David Nutter, and Josh Friedman, who is also writing.

The series will also air on Virgin 1 in the United Kingdom, TV3 in Ireland and on the Nine Network in Australia.

Production

Development
On November 9, 2005, it was announced by Variety that a television series based on the Terminator franchise is being produced by C2 Pictures, which produced Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, in association with Warner Bros. Television. Fox Broadcasting Company had also joined the project by making a commitment to the pilot with Josh Friedman set to write the pilot and to serve as an executive producer for the series. Among the executive producers are C2 Pictures' Andy Vajna, Mario Kassar and James Middleton.

The series, initially titled The Sarah Connor Chronicles, will focus on the character Sarah Connor, who is on the run with her son after the events of Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Regarding the character, Middleton says, "She has the weight of the world on her shoulders and also has to raise a teenage son who may be the salvation of humanity." Friedman comments that the series will contain fewer action sequences due to the smaller budget of television in contrast to feature films.

Production was officially greenlit by Fox Broadcasting Company on August 28, 2006 after Warner Bros. Television hired David Nutter to direct the pilot. The series was among seven new TV shows picked up by Fox on May 13, 2007 for their 2007-08 television season.

In a June 20, 2007 interview, Friedman revealed that the writers and producers are going to avoid the Terminator of the Week plot device and that Sarah, John, and Cameron will have other threats than just Terminators. Skynet will also come into play as the series progresses. Furthermore, Friedman stated that the events of Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines have no bearing on this timeline, but do occur in an alternate timeline. In addition to having planned the entire story arc for the first season, Friedman has a rough idea for the plot of the following three seasons.

At the 2007 summer Television Critics Association press tour, Fox Entertainment Chairman Peter Liguori revealed that certain parts of the pilot, involving a Terminator posing as a teacher attacking John at school, would be changed following the shooting at Virginia Tech. Friedman's reason for having the segment initially was to explain Sarah's powerlessness to protect John while he was at school. Liguori could not say what the new version would be.

Casting
The casting process of the series took sixteen weeks during which the producers auditioned actors not only from America but also from Australia, Canada, and England. Over 300 actresses auditioned for the role of Sarah Connor, the heroine of the Terminator series. Series creator Josh Friedman described the actress he was looking for was someone "who embodied that spirit and who was believable in that role and not just some glammed up, Hollywood, actressy thing." After a friend recommended English actress Lena Headey for the role, Friedman watched her audition tape, and thought she was "a tough, tough woman." Headey was officially cast on November 7, 2006.

On December 7, 2006, the actor cast in the role of fifteen-year-old John Connor was announced to be Thomas Dekker. Regarding the Terminator films, Dekker says, "They are like my favorite films when I was younger. So it's very ironic that I'm getting to do this. And I know for the younger generation and for myself, John was equally important to me as Sarah was, and I know a lot of the people that I hear from really, really care about John."

The remaining two principal cast members of the series, Richard T. Jones and Summer Glau, were announced in January 2007 and February 2007 respectively. Jones likens his character, an FBI agent, to that of Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive. Moreover, he is allowed to improvise a few lines to provide "a little bit of comic relief" to the show. Unlike Dekker, Glau had not seen the Terminator films prior to being cast as Cameron Phillips, whose role in the series was initially kept concealed but was later revealed to be a Terminator sent back from the future to protect John. Friedman had previously wanted to cast Glau in a pilot he wrote four years prior to The Sarah Connor Chronicles but she was already committed to Serenity. Glau admitted she felt "intimidated" by the role because the character is comprised of both human and robot characteristics.

The role of Cromartie, a Terminator sent back to kill John Connor, first went to Owain Yeoman, who appeared in the pre-broadcast pilot. On September 24, 2007, it was announced that Garret Dillahunt has joined the show as a recurring guest star in the role of Cromartie.

Filming
The pilot episode was primarily filmed in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The principal photography started on January 24, 2007 and took approximately one month to complete. Subsequent episodes in the series are filmed in the backlot of the Warner Brothers Studios in Burbank, California, where the set was previously used by Gilmore Girls to depict their fictional town, Stars Hollow.

[edit] Plot

Back story
Main article: Terminator 2: Judgment Day
At the end of Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Sarah, John and the Terminator successfully destroy the T-1000 and the arm and computer chip from the first Terminator. Sarah and John then watch as the Terminator is lowered into a molten steel pit in an attempt to destroy all future technology that could be used to create Skynet. Sarah and John now find themselves alone in a very dangerous and complicated world. As fugitives from the law, they are confronted with the reality that still more enemies from the future, and the present, could attack at any moment.

Summary
Prompted by the return of the Terminators into their lives, Sarah and John decide to stop running and focus on stopping the birth of Skynet. They are aided by Cameron, a Terminator who poses as a student at John's school and whose mission is to protect John. Meanwhile, an FBI agent named James Ellison pursues Sarah and John with the belief that Sarah is deranged.

An advanced script review by TV Squad revealed that time travel will play a major role in the series premiere including a temporal leap for the main characters from 1998 to the current year. This was also confirmed by the trailer posted on the Fox Fall Preview page for the show. Three video clips from the upcoming series premiere published on the IGN website included the evil Terminator using Sarah's voice over the phone to find John, Sarah and John fighting over their current situation, and the evil Terminator looking for John, Sarah, and Cameron at the Dyson residence.

Characters
Sarah Connor (portrayed by Lena Headey) is a major character in the Terminator series and is seen as a deranged fugitive by the authorities, who do not believe her story about the Terminators.
John Connor (portrayed by Thomas Dekker) is the son of Sarah Connor and a major character in the Terminator series. He is fifteen years old in the show.
Cameron Phillips (portrayed by Summer Glau) is a girl who attends school with John. She is an unknown Terminator model, the most human yet,[19] programmed to protect him.
James Ellison (portrayed by Richard T. Jones) is an FBI agent pursuing Sarah Connor.
Cromartie (portrayed by Owain Yeoman[21] and Garret Dillahunt[22]) is an unknown Terminator model sent back to kill John in the pilot episode. He is shown to take damage to his biological covering, similar to the Model 101.