PDA

View Full Version : New Disney's Hollywood Studios logo Unveiled & Name Change Date Specified

Patricia
10-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Moving toward the big name change coming up in January, Walt Disney World has unveiled the new logo for Disney's Hollywood Studios -- featuring Mickey Mouse holding a clapboard.

The logo replaces the MGM lion logo that has graced Disney-MGM Studios since it opened in 1989. "Mickey still plays a prominent role for us," said Studios vice president Michael O'Grattan, "and Hollywood now truly is our middle name." Even as it announced the name change back in August, Disney revealed several entertainment changes that will debut at about the same time.

The new "Toy Story Mania"! ride -- the only major attraction currently under construction or announced at Walt Disney World -- will open.
The current Disney Stars and Motor Cars parade will be replaced with "Block Party Bash," a higher-energy play, party and dance show that has been a hit at Walt Disney Co.'s California Adventure theme park in California. In addition, new characters from Playhouse Disney, notably those from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Little Einsteins and Handy Manny, will perform in the "Playhouse Disney-Live On Stage!" show. And this fall's release of the new Disney Channel movie Disney High School Musical 2: School's Out will coincide with a new theme-park street show to replace the existing "High School Musical Pep Rally."

The name change not only gives the park a broader, updated image, as Disney officials maintain, but also drops a name that caused some legal problems in the 1990s.

Disney officials insist that dispute, with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., is behind them and had no bearing on the decision to rename the park. In the 1990s, Disney and MGM were locked in lawsuits for many years over the name, until courts ruled that Disney could continue using the name at Walt Disney World.
The name MGM was originally adopted for the park through a 1985 licensing agreement with the MGM and some related corporations. In addition to giving Disney rights to the name, the contract offered rights to some of the more famous images and characters from famous MGM movies such as The Wizard of Oz.

However, in the 1990s the two corporations sparred off and on over Disney's use of the name. In 1992, a Los Angeles Superior Court judge ruled that Disney retained rights to the name for Disney-MGM Studios at Walt Disney World. Another ruling in 1997 concluded that MGM had rights to the name in most other uses.

Even after the name change, Disney will continue to use some MGM properties. posted by Scott Powers (Orlando Sentinel) on Oct 25, 2007 11:07:41 AM

Figment!
10-25-2007, 03:23 PM
In addition to the image release, it has also the exact date of the name changed has been specified beyond "January 2008".

Here's the Press Release:

LIGHTS, CAMERA... LOGO!

Walt Disney World Resort Press Release

October 25, 2007

Disney-MGM Studios transitions to a new name -- Disney's Hollywood Studios -- effective Jan. 7, 2008. On Oct. 25, 2007, Walt Disney World Resort unveiled the new official logo the renamed theme park will take. The bright, new logo features a clapboard-holding Mickey Mouse. "Mickey still plays a prominent role for us," said Studios vice-president Michael O'Grattan, "and Hollywood now truly is our middle name."

Ian
10-25-2007, 03:46 PM
Eh.

PirateLover
10-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Eh.

:ditto:
The logo doesn't do much for me.

Marker
10-25-2007, 04:17 PM
I like it! :thumbsup:

I think it's long overdue to lose the MGM from the park name.

Here's to looking forward by remembering DISNEY'S Hollywood past, instead of MGM's.

Eeyore's Pal
10-25-2007, 04:27 PM
I like it too. It does a good job of combining Disney with the look of old Hollywood.

poeticeclipse
10-25-2007, 04:44 PM
I get this really nice old time feel from it... the old glamour of the font is fun. I enjoy it!

DisFan01
10-25-2007, 05:03 PM
I think that people will still casually call it "MGM Studios", or even "MGM"... that's what we do. :D

Crow
10-25-2007, 05:21 PM
:ditto:
The logo doesn't do much for me.
agree.
and not much "new" that im interested in except for the Toy story ride depending on how it turns out.
maybe if that NBC ride rumor were true or something..
or the animation studio returned.
Ill give them the benefit of the doubt for now

Melanie
10-25-2007, 05:41 PM
I really like the new logo too! :thumbsup:

kakn7294
10-25-2007, 06:17 PM
I like the logo - it's the name change that I'm having trouble with. I think it will difficult for me to change my thinking and will call it MGM for a long time to come.

JWDisneyFan
10-25-2007, 06:24 PM
When I first looked at the new logo, I didn't like it, but after coming back to it a couple times, it's starting to grow on me!

IloveDisney71
10-25-2007, 06:37 PM
I like the new logo. I'm in the category of people who will probably still be calling it MGM because that's what I've always called it. It takes me time to adjust. :mickey:

Ian
10-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Here's to looking forward by remembering DISNEY'S Hollywood past, instead of MGM's.Sorry ... I guess I don't get your point here.

They're changing the name of the place, not the contents. It will be a park called "Disney's Hollywood Studios" filled with attractions based around MGM properties?

Makes no sense ... the logo I could care less about. It's okay, I guess. I just think the entire re-naming thing is sort of pointless. I mean if they were going to do what they're doing with DCA, maybe. But to me this is just going to cause confusion with guests who walk in expecting to see something ... well ... Disney. :confused:

PirateLover
10-25-2007, 06:58 PM
To add my full thoughts.. The logo is OK but it's not something that makes me go WOW! And Mickey just doesn't look right to me, like something is missing. Maybe if he had an old timey director's hat to fit the old timey font? I dunno.

JPL
10-25-2007, 07:08 PM
With the Studios much like with DCA Disney is in Salvage mode as far as I'm concerned. Both parks lacked or lost their identities and became unimaginative and boring very quickly. They are looking at what stays and what goes most of the attractions will be in the scrap heap. The only thing that kind of saves the Studios is the fact it's grouped in with 3 other parks and in more of a destination resort than DCA.

As for logo it's ok but nothing special, it will be interesting to see if DCA comes out with a similar logo to link the parks.

pdrlkr
10-25-2007, 08:09 PM
:thumbsup:

Marker
10-25-2007, 08:13 PM
It will be a park called "Disney's Hollywood Studios" filled with attractions based around MGM properties?

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong (like I needed to say that :mickey: ), but the main thing that is MGM properties would be some of the scenes in The Great Movie Ride. Ok, I know there is also the "Singin' In The Rain" umbrella that you can take your picture with, but I really can't think of any other MGM property, except the name.

And, I'm not trying to bring up an old, often heated, topic but if they had to change out those scenes from The Great Movie Ride, it would eliminate all MGM references. If we want it to be more "Disney", then put Disney owned properties in TMGR. And other Disney Live Action references around the park. Just my opinion of course.

But to me this is just going to cause confusion with guests who walk in expecting to see something ... well ... Disney. :confused:

Well, if the name change causes people to be confused..... maybe they are just confused to begin with. :D

Marker
10-25-2007, 08:18 PM
With the Studios much like with DCA Disney is in Salvage mode as far as I'm concerned. Both parks lacked or lost their identities and became unimaginative and boring very quickly. They are looking at what stays and what goes most of the attractions will be in the scrap heap. The only thing that kind of saves the Studios is the fact it's grouped in with 3 other parks and in more of a destination resort than DCA.

Wow, makes feel kind of foolish for liking that park.

Could it be better, sure. And I think it lost something when its use as a production studio went away. But I still like the park, and look forward to going there each trip. Even with the name change, I think I'll still like it.

LCPZA
10-25-2007, 09:40 PM
I like the new sign. The name will grow over time I am sure. I just hopes that this can open a whole list of new rides and options for this park. This park has gotten better over the years but can do so much more.
When is Toy Story opening??

EPCOT84
10-25-2007, 10:17 PM
I like it too. It does a good job of combining Disney with the look of old Hollywood.

:yes::encore::director::sun: Hooray for Hollywood !

brownie
10-26-2007, 11:36 AM
I like the new logo, although I think they should've just stuck with Disney Studios and left Hollywood out of it.

Ian
10-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong (like I needed to say that :mickey: ), but the main thing that is MGM properties would be some of the scenes in The Great Movie Ride. Ok, I know there is also the "Singin' In The Rain" umbrella that you can take your picture with, but I really can't think of any other MGM property, except the name.True, I suppose. I guess was thinking of all the other "non-Disney" attractions at the Studios (like Indy, Star Wars, Muppets, Aerosmith, etc.)

But yeah, you're right really. MGM is just as confusing as Disney, based on that mish-mash!

And, I'm not trying to bring up an old, often heated, topic but if they had to change out those scenes from The Great Movie Ride, it would eliminate all MGM references. If we want it to be more "Disney", then put Disney owned properties in TMGR. And other Disney Live Action references around the park. Just my opinion of course.An opinion I happen to agree with. Disney has so many great movies of their own I never really understood why they didn't use them in TGMR.

Well, if the name change causes people to be confused..... maybe they are just confused to begin with. :DBased on what I know of the general population, that's highly likely. ;

Patricia
10-26-2007, 01:15 PM
For me MGM Studios lost it`s Movie Studio feel when they closed the back lot tour and the animation tour. I hate to say it, but we got talking last night (kid and I) and thought we could start skipping this park on subsequent trips (I`m not a ToT fan), but realized we still enjoy Muppets, TGMR, the Walt Disney Museum and the fun places to eat. And my kid has decided that roller coasters are fun now. So, looks like it remains on the list, for at least a partial day visit, for now.

I do like the new logo. :mickey:

JPL
10-26-2007, 01:17 PM
And my kid has decided that roller coasters are fun now.

Did I have something to do with that :thumbsup:

mttafire
10-26-2007, 01:27 PM
I like it alot. As another poster stated. It has an "old Hollywood look to it." Kudos Disney, GREAT job on this one.:mickey:

SurferStitch
10-26-2007, 01:31 PM
I like the logo....simple, elegant and uncluttered. I do think Mickey would look cuter with a little plaid director's hat, though.

We love the Studios, and apparently it's not as boring and useless as some here may think, considering lines are long and restaurants are packed even during value seasons, so I guess at least a few others like the park. :shrug:

Goofy Dad 13
10-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Bummer on the date. We will be down for the fisrt few days of January and I was hoping to get something with the new name/logo. Not sure when we would be going back.

SurferStitch
10-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Bummer on the date. We will be down for the fisrt few days of January and I was hoping to get something with the new name/logo. Not sure when we would be going back.

Fear not....Chances are you will be able to find items with the new logo. Last December I saw plenty of items throughout the resort with a 2007 logo, so you'll probably find the new logo on some things, too.

JPL
10-27-2007, 12:22 AM
, and apparently it's not as boring and useless as some here may think, considering lines are long and restaurants are packed even during value seasons, so I guess at least a few others like the park. :shrug:

When you only have 2 attractions worthwhile it's easy to have long lines. And the restaurants are packed for the simple reason of the DDP. Every restaurant is packed everyday since it's inception.

luvdiznee
10-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Well, glad I got some "MGM" souvies with the old logo on it, before it's gone. Just like the specific resort refillable mugs. :thedolls:

magicofdisney
10-28-2007, 02:17 PM
For all those adjusting to the name change, rest assured you'll be made fun of 15 yrs from now. I'm one of the FL natives that took quite a bit of time adjusting to MK not being called Disney World. ;)

Disneyglamour
10-28-2007, 05:18 PM
So has anyone heard what will come of The Great Movie Ride? I know that it is mainly centered around MGM movies. Are there any rumors going around?

DisneyorBust
10-30-2007, 09:18 AM
I agreee with poeticeclipse...the new logo does have that "old time Hollywood " look to it. I like it!
I am hoping that this is the beginning of a revamping of this park. We really enjoy this park but have been disappointed with the the overall decline of the park, ie the vacant "Doug'' stage show bldg, the Backlot tour that became so dull and boring.
Hopefully, WDW will add more 'E'-ticket attractions (as have been rumoured).
I normally called it Disney Studios, so hopefully the name change won't be that dificult for me to master!:D

prprincess
10-30-2007, 11:10 AM
That was my exact thought!!

merlinmagic4
10-30-2007, 11:38 AM
I guess all I want to know is.......what will our new abbreviation be? DHS or HS? Hmmmmmmmm.........And when should we start the change ;)

Sweezy
10-30-2007, 11:24 PM
its a little sad to see the old name go...i wouldnt be bothered by that nearly as much as if they were to start changing old attractions like tgmr around. that ride is a classic...from singin' in the rain to the aliens (my favorite by far) and indiana jones scenes.

SurferStitch
10-31-2007, 12:23 PM
When you only have 2 attractions worthwhile it's easy to have long lines. And the restaurants are packed for the simple reason of the DDP. Every restaurant is packed everyday since it's inception.

Let's not forget very long lines to see the characters. There are gads of people all around the Sorcerer's hat waiting to see them. 50-80 people in line waiting for Donald and Daisy, or Mickey and Minnie is a long line (and people can go to any park to see characters).

And, we find many worthwhile attractions there, not just the two big ticket rides. There are excellent shows (Indy, Beauty/Beast, Little Mermaid, One Man's Dream, Muppets, Lights Motors Action, Osborne lights, etc.).

If DHS wasn't worth the visit, people wouldn't go, and lines wouldn't be long even on the "only two worthwhile things" there. I highly doubt DH and I are the only people who love DHS.

Ed
10-31-2007, 04:22 PM
...(I`m not a ToT fan)...

Gee, why not? :confused:

I seem to recall you turning a very attractive shade of green :sick: after a ride on it a few years ago, although I think Janet is still picking pieces of your fingernails out of her arm. And I understand your picture is shown to all new CMs there due to your insistence on playing with the electric switches in the queue.

Hey, green worked wonders for Princess Fiona and Shrek, and it certainly hasn't hurt Kermit's career...

;)

Patricia
11-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Gee, why not? :confused:

I seem to recall you turning a very attractive shade of green :sick: after a ride on it a few years ago, although I think Janet is still picking pieces of your fingernails out of her arm. And I understand your picture is shown to all new CMs there due to your insistence on playing with the electric switches in the queue.;)

Thanks Tigg. How sweet of you to bring that up.:rolleyes:

Sorry that I hurt you Janet. :blush:

Sorry John.. for the bruising you took on a subsequent meet ride. :blush:

And just for the record, I wasn't "playing" around with the electricity.. I was quite seriously trying to turn the elevator off. :plot: If not for that CM interrupting me I'd have had success. I only needed one.. more.. minute.

I do have to mention that my favorite place in The Studios is at the exit of ToT... right outside of the shop (lots of fun purchases here), there is a lovely ice cappuccino kiosk. You can sip, while sitting on a bench and people watch (funny as they are all in a fluster after being dropped faster than gravity, go figure), listen to the screams and wait for your family and friends to come out of the Hollywood Tower Hotel.

Ahhh.. :thumbsup:

John
11-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Sorry John.. for the bruising you took on a subsequent meet ride. :blush:

Funny you mention that - the bruise just went away last week...

That means it's time for you to go again! :thedolls:

MegaDisney
11-07-2007, 08:11 PM
It will be interesting to see if DCA comes out with a similar logo to link the parks.

I really am confused as to how the logo for DCA and DHS have anything to do with each other...DCA has a Hollywood section but the park is not and is not becoming a "Studio" Theme park.

Park Hopper
11-08-2007, 01:29 PM

I kind of felt this way about the park several years ago. However, each time I go again, it grows on me. The last time I was at Disney World, I chose to go to MGM by myself on one of the days when it was my wife's turn to watch the kids during their nap. Although I only had about an hour of actual park time and did not go on a single ride, I thouroghly enjoyed it.

Going to MGM with the kids is great, but limited in my mind. As I was there alone, I got to enjoy several of the street actors (somehow they do not appeal much to the 3 and under crowd!). It gave me a new appreciation for the park and really solidified it in my mind as a true Disney experience.

tennantsrwe
11-08-2007, 02:30 PM
I think the new logo is nice. I wish it would have more color though. On my screen it seems like Mickey's ears blend in with the writing. I think maybe they could have 'brightened' it up a little more by using another font color, but thats just my opinion. I'm excited about the new attraction and the shows, etc. I think some of the things needed a little revamp. Guess we'll have to wait and see!

2Epcot
11-13-2007, 02:29 PM
For me MGM Studios lost it`s Movie Studio feel when they closed the back lot tour and the animation tour.

The new logo is OK, nothing special. While I have liked the park, I never liked the name from the very beginning. I'm sure it will take me a little while to get used to the new name, but I beileve it is closer to what the name should have been from the start.

I also agree the park lost a lot when it got rid of the real production taking place. Since the park really isn't a studio, I don't think that should be included in the name at all. Something more along the lines of "Disney's Hollywood Movie Park" would be more appropriate.