PDA

View Full Version : advice and tips for first time stay

btuskan
10-25-2007, 06:28 AM
I'm helping my teaching partner plan her vacation to WDW in January. She and her family are staying in the cabins at FW as they have a family of 5. I've never stayed at FW, so I can't help her with any tips and advice on how to make their stay easy and enjoyable...she's kind of nervous as she's not the camping type. I have introduced her to intercot and we have found a map and pictures of the cabins on the internet, but If I could give her a list of great tips and good advice, she'd be ecstatic! Thanks for your help.

faline
10-25-2007, 07:11 AM
I love the cabins! Many people have not stayed there as they feared the "camping" factor. Fear not! This is nothing like camping! It's more like have a private home!

You have a full-sized kitchen - including full sized refrigerator and a dishwasher. Even if we left just a cup in the sink, the mousekeepers and put it in the dishwasher and run the dishwasher! Oh yes - you do have daily mousekeeping as well!

Many folks rent a golf cart when staying at Fort Wilderness. It does increase the cost of staying there. We never rented one and did just fine without it.

The biggest drawback to staying in the cabin is that you need to take two forms of transportation wherever you go. There is an internal bus that will bring you to a spot where you can pick up transportation to your park choice of the day. Just build in a little extra time for the transportation. If they have a car, they can park the car right at the cabin and drive to the parks if they wish!

tennantsrwe
10-25-2007, 07:45 AM
:blush: I don't know if this seems silly or not but anytime I think of camping I always think campfires...or actually roasting marshmallows and smores. We LOVE doing this, regardless if we're roughing it or in a cabin. You can buy tons of campfire cooking accessories at WalMart and other stores with an outdoor section. (And they're not very expensive)
It's always fun just to relax outside by the campfire on a crisp January evening with some hot chocolate and roasted marshmallows!

tennantsrwe
10-25-2007, 07:46 AM
By the way...I don't know if Wilderness provides these or not...but a few camping chairs or extra blankets are a must. Nobody wants to have to stand by the campfire after a full day of Disney fun! :mickey:

Mrs.Mya
10-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Your friend and her family will LOVE the cabins. It is not roughing it at all. So much privacy, as in, you don't have to worry about noisy guests in a close room next door or above you. ;) Full kitchen, nice size bathroom, separate bedroom, parking right at your own cabin. We love renting a golf cart. Is it a must have ? ........we think so. Somewhat costly, but so worth it. We love knowing that when we get off the bus, or off the boat from MK, we can just get on the cart and go back to the room, or just driving around enjoying the great scenery and wildlife at FW. We are only a family of four, so we could stay at other resorts, but we love the cabins just that much !! :D And we can hardly wait......we'll be there in a few weeks !!!!

ibrowse17
10-25-2007, 09:29 PM
My biggest suggestion would be to just take some time to explore and enjoy Ft. Wilderness. FW really does offer so much, so let them experience all of it:thumbsup:

LONESTAR
10-25-2007, 11:11 PM
If they cant rent a golf cart then take bikes. Me and the DW love riding through the campgrounds. Best to reserve a golf cart if renting one. When there not in the parks they can watch the fire works from MK on the beach. Plus they can watch the water parade at night. I cant rember the name of it though. Also at the campfire there is a movie also. They have a peting zoo, you can take hay ride, rent a boat at the marina, and there is a walking trail to the wilderness lodge.

HndrdPrcnt
10-26-2007, 12:27 AM
My ALL TIME favorite thing about Fort Wilderness by far is Hoop de Doo Review. It is a MUST DO for us on every trip!! This show has been running for years and years and is one of Disney's all-time best!! The food is great and the show is foot-stomping-fun!! I HIGHLY recommend it!!:thumbsup:

AuntLaura
10-27-2007, 04:24 PM
As said before, they really won't be camping - I think they'll love the cabins. They should take one night to swing by the Chip-n-Dale sing-a-long and the movie which is shown nightly behind the Meadows Trading Post. It's a really neat experience. If they have bikes, or a golf cart ( or even if they use the buses) as soon as they get to FW, tell them to check out the Meadows Trading Post and the Settlement. Regarding getting to the parks: take the boat from the Settlement to the MK. If they have a car, I recommend driving to Epcot, Studios, and AK. We find that less time is wasted on transportaton. Not sure if they've ever been to Disney - check out Downtown Disney also.