PDA

View Full Version : sitting up front in monorail

apequet
10-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Hey there everyone! Does anyone know if you can sit up front on the monorails? And if you can, how do you go about doing it? Is there a line you wait in? My son is really looking forward to this and I'm curious how I'm going to pull this off. Thanks for any tips! (This is our first visit to the World.) 44 more days to go!:mickey:

Narawen
10-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Yes you can, all you have to do is ask. You may have to wait it out a few times, if another family has already asked they get to go first, and if another family is upfront already you have to wait for another monorail. Just tell the CM for the monorail you want to sit up front and they will arrange it. There is a max. # of people that can do it, I think it's 4 or 5.

Also, I can't recall if you get to ride all the way to your destination or just to the next stop. To play it safe, you should probably try this on the monorail from TTC to Epcot, it's a good 10 min ride, and you'll get the most benefit from it.

Harkleroad
10-24-2007, 09:56 PM
My husband and I had the chance to ride upfront on a previous trip. It was just by chance though. We were in line near the front. I believe that they only allow like four people with no strollers. I could be wrong but I think that's the case. I'm sure someone will come along soon with the exact info. but I just wanted to let you know you can. Have a great trip and good luck.:D

TinkiTime1989
10-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Yes, you can sit up front in the monorail. All you have to do is ask a CM when you get ready to get in line. If there isn't anyone already waiting they will tell you where to go to wait and you will get to sit up front with the driver. Don't be discouraged if you don't get to ride up front the first time you ask. Just keep asking. It is usually easier to ride up front when there are less people as well. Have fun! :mickey:

Mousemates
10-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Just ask...its great...we try to each trip...easiest to do when the crowds are light and when you boarding someplace like the polynesian or Gf....for maximum effect do it after dark.

pogo
10-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Yes, you can sit up front if there is room. :thumbsup:

You just ask the CM at the loading platform and they will put you there if it's available. There is only room for four people.:mickey:

We did this once from the TTC to Epcot and it was great ! Enjoy ! :D

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-24-2007, 09:58 PM
We've had lots of luck sitting in the front, we've just asked and although we've had to wait for a monorail or two, it has always worked out.

For a first-ride, I would try for the ride from the TTC to Epcot...a nice long ride, and you get to see part of Epcot on the way in :thumbsup:

apequet
10-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Oh thank you all for your quick repies! I am SO relieved! I know my son would have been pretty bummed if they said no, so we'll have to keep trying when it's not so busy. Are they pretty patient with the kids, if they have any questions? I can just see my son asking a million questions and the driver not be able to keep up with actually driving and answering all his questions. He is facinated by things like that. He is 9. There's only going to be 4 of us, so we all should be able to sit up front. Thanks again!

crazeedizneefinatic
10-24-2007, 11:38 PM
We have sat up front a few times. Some drivers are talkative and some are not. My son is 7 and asks lots of questions. Oh and don't forget your son with get his monorail license when he exits. It just a little cardboard card about the size of a business card. It's really cute and something for the scrapbook!

AbeeNormal
10-24-2007, 11:39 PM
Have a great time Apequet!!!!:mickey:

I sure hope you'll tell us all about your trip and I really hope you get to sit up-front:hi:

Hayden's Dad
10-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Is there room for a stroller or wheelchair? We would love to take Hayden, but if his wheelchair won't fit one of us will have to stay with it in the other compartment, then I guess we would just have to ride twice :blush: so each of us could hold him during the ride.

jclightchasr
10-25-2007, 09:58 AM
I have rode up front on my past 3 trips all from TTC to MK and in peak season. Even though the crowds were heavy we didn't have a problem. It was cool seeing the inside of the contemporary from this vantage point. I would like riding it through Epcot at Night and will have to try this in Dec. when we go back. The capacity is 4 and there are no strollers allowed. Oh, and we never got a monorail liscence nor was it even mentioned. Maybe this was implemented after our last trip in Dec 04'.

BriarRose0708
10-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Is there room for a stroller or wheelchair? We would love to take Hayden, but if his wheelchair won't fit one of us will have to stay with it in the other compartment, then I guess we would just have to ride twice :blush: so each of us could hold him during the ride.

I was in the front recently and I think if the wheelchair is collapsable you could carry hayden into the car and fold up the wheelchair and still have room.

It's a fantastic experience to sit int the front! I did this on my last trip and it made my ENTIRE vacation!!! Good luck!

brownie
10-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Just ask; you may have to wait for the next monorail though. It's a neat experience.

Hayden's Dad
10-25-2007, 11:44 AM
That's okay when we get on one of us will hold him and then at the next stop we will switch. :D That way Hayden gets to ride twice.

luvdiznee
10-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Be the First one there, then ask. :mickey:

WVParkfan
10-25-2007, 12:57 PM
We did it once, while "going against" traffic.

We had reservations for Chef Mickey's very early in the morning. We rode the Monorail from the T&T center to the MK. EVERYONE got off the monorail at the MK (the park was getting ready to open), and we had planned to walk to the Contemporary so we got off, too.

Nobody got on the monorail at the MK (it was 8am), so we asked the CM if we could ride over to the Contemporary. The CM said "sure" and then asked us if we wanted to sit up front with the conductor. We did, and it was GREAT!

So, perhaps you could try to be one of the first people going the "opposite way" from the crowd to try to get to ride up front. It worked for us.

King Triton
10-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Sure, just ask.

I would recommend going at an "off" time. Don't expect to ride in the front from TTC to MK for instance in the morning when the monorail is crowded. But if you're quitting early or taking a break, you've got a much better chance.

We've been able to do it the last two trips (about a week each), just noticing when no one is at the very front and asking a CM. It's fun to ride up front, but I wouldn't wait a huge amount of time in order to do it.

mdricks
10-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Make sure your kids get their honorary conductors license when the trip is over. Every kid (and some adults :blush:) get a card size memo of the ride. Its a neat keepsake.

And take a video cam with you as well. Its very neat to get home and put the video of the ride up on your TV and live it all over again.....

wedway76
10-25-2007, 03:19 PM
You will probably have to wait a bit but remember, even if you are the next in line waiting for the first car. It may already be occupied by other park guests that aren’t getting off at the stop that you are getting on, so you will have to continue to wait. So you may have to let several trains go by.

irish1967
10-25-2007, 07:21 PM
We've rode up front several times...

Like people have said, non-peak times are best. Like the time when we arrived at EPCOT 15 minutes before opening and my SIL forgot her medication at the Poly. I offered to go back with her to get it and as we walked up to the monorail, the CM asked us if we wanted to ride in the front! We were the ONLY passengers on the train :mickey:

Talking to the driver, well, it depends... If it is raining, for example, the driver may be busy concentrating on other things. We take the cue from the driver, if he/she starts a conversation, then we talk and ask questions. If not, we assume that there is a reason and let him/her do the job.

They are VERY strict about numbers. One time we had 5 people, including an infant, and only 4 were allowed. No big deal, safety first is my motto.

Not sure about strollers/wheelchairs - I think that they might be considered a hazard and not allowed, but have no basis on which to judge (we fell strictly into the rent the Disney stroller crowd!)

DisneyFan1979
10-26-2007, 09:47 AM
Have people asked to ride in the front when they are only a group of adults? I've always wanted to ask, but felt a little foolish because we're all adults - there's always a focus on families with children.

King Triton
10-26-2007, 10:33 AM
You will probably have to wait a bit but remember, even if you are the next in line waiting for the first car. It may already be occupied by other park guests that aren’t getting off at the stop that you are getting on, so you will have to continue to wait. So you may have to let several trains go by.

That's especially true on the hotel loop, since there are several stops.

I've had the best luck riding up front leaving from the MK to TTC. Plus you get a pretty long ride...over the lagoon and thru GF and Poly before hitting TTC.

BriarRose0708
10-26-2007, 11:03 AM
Have people asked to ride in the front when they are only a group of adults? I've always wanted to ask, but felt a little foolish because we're all adults - there's always a focus on families with children.

Sure! I didn't have any kids with me and I was jumping up and down like I was five years old when I rode in the front! No one's going to judge, and if they do, who cares?

FlaTinkRAMESAM
10-26-2007, 11:14 AM
We ride up front almost every time we go out there... Middle of the day (usually when we get to the parks) is much less crowded and very easy to get on. My daughter loves it because you get an amazing view of Cinderella's castle and we get to see "fairies" (what we called dragonflies when she was little [and still do!]--and no matter how many times we tell her different, she insists that they are fairies! So it is even more magical at Disney to see "fairies.").

You get a co-pilots license too, and ask for the collector's transportation cards! They are fun!

crazykids
10-26-2007, 12:11 PM
We rode in the front both routes (MK & Epcot) on our last trip. They are very strict w/ the 4 person rule - we are a family of 5 w/ the youngest being 1 years old. My husband ended up both times taking the baby & rode in another car while I took my 2 older children in the front seat. There was also no strollers/wheelchairs allowed. We also did not get any souvenier from the pilot as others have commented on (guess it depends on the pilot). I did take a video of the trip & it was pretty cool to watch afterwards :thumbsup:

Vickie46
10-26-2007, 03:57 PM
We also did this when my little girl was still in a stroller.. that is not a problem.. they just fold up the stroller and place it in the car next to you.. and they tell that cabin what is going on.. its not big deal at all..:thumbsup:

mrsHerbie53
10-26-2007, 09:52 PM
This is a GREAT experience!!! We have done it a few times and only the last time did we get the "co-pilot license" card at the end of the ride. It may depend on the pilot and/or if they still have a stack of cards in that particular monorail.

DisneyorBust
10-27-2007, 09:48 AM
We try to ride with the Monorail Pilot each trip. Like others have posted sometimes you may have to wait for a couple of Monorails other times (like our trip this past August) we were able to ride up front 7 out of 8 attempts! I was amazed at our luck! We have received the Monorail Co-Pilots license and Monorail stickers in the past.
Good luck! I hope your family has a great time at WDW:mickey: and riding up front in the Monorail!

garymacd
10-27-2007, 11:23 AM
One night as we were leaving MK, a cast member came up to our youngest daughter and whisperingly asked how many people were with her. She answered there were four of us. He then said, "Can you ask me if you can ride up front?", which she promptly did, and, of course his answer was, "Yes you may!" Up 'til then I didn't know you could do that.

On our 25th anniversary trip, we were wearing our anniversary pins and a CM took it on himself to get us into the cockpit. Cool.

Usually I am too shy to ask.:blush:

DONROCK
10-27-2007, 08:36 PM
We'll be at Epcot for opening then plan on catching the monorail over to MK around 11am. Do you think we stand a pretty good chance of sitting up front at that time of day?

Dsnygirl
10-28-2007, 02:35 AM
:mickey: Absolutely you can sit up front!! We'd heard about it for ages, but didn't know how to approach doing it... then we had if offered to us on our last trip, quite out of the blue!! The CM at the monorail directed us up to the front gate, and when the monorail stopped, the driver opened the door to his "cockpit" and we climbed in with him -- it was amazing!! We hope to get to do it next time w/ our DD's -- they'd LOVE it!! Have fun!! :thumbsup:

irish1967
10-28-2007, 07:59 PM
We'll be at Epcot for opening then plan on catching the monorail over to MK around 11am. Do you think we stand a pretty good chance of sitting up front at that time of day?

You may have to wait for a couple to go through, but I would think that you would be able to do so. Just ask the CM and tell him/her you are willing to wait and you should be good to go!

Sweezy
10-29-2007, 04:41 AM
honestly its really fun for someone who loves disney...and its worth waiting for at least 1 or two times in my opinion. its a fun little experience, and i think theyll even give you a little business card type thing comemmorating the experience...i remember i used to want to be the 'monorail captain' as a career.

dteed
10-29-2007, 04:53 PM
We did it on our first try and first trip (as a family). We just happened to walk up and the CM asked us if we would like to ride up front.

MickeyandTink
10-30-2007, 12:33 PM
In addition to the cool little conductor card (if they don't offer, ask the CM about it), if you have a really nice CM driving they may let you sit in the driver's seat (while stopped at a station) and take a couple of pictures as if you are driving.