PDA

View Full Version : Old Disney World Promo Film

Ian
10-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Man .............. for those of you who first visited WDW in the early 70's like I did ... head over to You Tube and search for "Walt Disney World Promo 1970's."

Some of you may have seen it before, but boy will it make you totally nostalgic for the "old" Disney World. It has great footage of a lot of the extinct attractions, like 20k Under the Sea, Mr. Toad, the Skyway, etc. It also has some "old school" footage of change attractions like Hall of Presidents and the Tiki Room.

Plus the park just looks so different. I can't really explain it ... just go see for yourself and then tell me if you agree.

JPL
10-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Ian
What's the title of the video?

Melanie
10-24-2007, 07:52 PM
What's the title of the video?

"Walt Disney World Promo 1970's."

That was interesting. I was hoping to never have to see 'The Mickey Mouse Revue' again after seeing it in Tokyo. It needs to be retired altogether, sorry.

Wow, what about that Mad Hatter riding the Tea Cups? Eek!!!

JPL
10-24-2007, 09:03 PM
I didn't mean the title on Youtube I meant the actual film title was curious to see if I already have it in my collection and for some crazy I have problem with audio and youtube on my computer so I never bother going there

CU Tiger
10-24-2007, 09:34 PM
This film was great! :thumbsup: There is so much I forgot about. It is also amazing how much DW has changed. Thanks for the info.:mickey:

Ian
10-25-2007, 11:37 AM
I didn't mean the title on Youtube I meant the actual film title was curious to see if I already have it in my collection and for some crazy I have problem with audio and youtube on my computer so I never bother going thereI think it was just called "Walt Disney World Promo Film"

jetsdc
10-25-2007, 11:43 AM
There's the "A Dream Called Walt Disney World" promo video too - but I think that's from the '80s. I've seen You Tube clips of it -- totally agree about how different some things looked back then in the park. Especially the clothing we wore! But at the same time, some things look very similar, which is reassuring.

If you've ever seen "Dream", you'll be thinking of the theme song now for the rest of the day. It's catchy in a Small World-mildly-annoying kind of way. I mean that as a good thing, of course. ("There's something magical about a parade...")

JPL
10-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Actually was able to catch it when I had a break at work

It's titled the Magic Kingdom at WDW an 8mm film. These were sold as souvenirs much like VHS and the DVDs. They were available with sound and silent. People often used them and edited them in with their own footage especially the silent versions. What was really cool about these 8mm films they had shorter reels that focused on particular attractions. The Promo Film part was misleading in the guys description.

century3
10-25-2007, 12:20 PM
There was a nice video that was shown on the Disney Channel way back during the WDW 15th birthday :party: celebration. It was narrated by Mason Adams (who also did the Smuckers Jam commercials). It gave a pretty thorough overview of each area and nice background information about the park in general and it’s history. I can’t remember what the video was called, but I recall watching it over and over (and over and over…) :cloud9: It was a very good snapshot of WDW in the mid 80’s. It even included conceptual models and drawings of the then un-built MGM Studios, with some things having changed quite a bit by the time the park actually opened a few years later.

LibertyTreeGal
10-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Oh my goodness, talk about video coming a long way! I just sat there thinking about how much more clearly a toddler with a modern camera could tape all of that.

That was awesome! Being 2 at the time, I never would have had a chance to see some of that stuff otherwise. thanks for posting it! It was also good to see some of the characters out and about that I remember as a child, who you don't see anymore.

irish1967
10-26-2007, 08:05 AM
Thanks - this was a lot of fun to watch!

Ian
10-26-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure if it's just because of the minimal crowds or what, but the Magic Kingdom looked much neater and more ordered than it does now.

I think not having that big Aladdin ride plunked down in the middle of Adventureland made a big difference, too.

And, of course, everything is brand spankin' new so the parks look very clean and neat.

JPL
10-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Oh my goodness, talk about video coming a long way! I just sat there thinking about how much more clearly a toddler with a modern camera could tape all of that.

Actually that is a very poor quality transfer of
8mm film and it it looks like the film wasn't taken care of properly causing it to degenerate even more. Add to that the Youtube compression and it's a mess. I have a few that look about as good as an older VHS tape.

mttafire
10-26-2007, 03:36 PM
I've actually seen this film before just "surfing" you tube. It is neat to see all the nastalgia. First time i visited Disney that i can sort of remember was in 76..I was 6.

Natazu
10-27-2007, 05:27 AM
Thanks Ian. That was a ride down memory lane, in a 1972 Ford Gran Torino.

Ian
10-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks Ian. That was a ride down memory lane, in a 1972 Ford Gran Torino.Avacado green, no less.

MickeyandTink
10-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks Ian. That was a ride down memory lane, in a 1972 Ford Gran Torino.

That would be a '74 Gran Torino for me, like the one I had in college. Blue with the white vinyl hardtop, AM radio in the dash, and a 351 V-8 under the hood. :car:

mac badger
10-31-2007, 03:39 PM
thanks for the trip down memory land