PDA

View Full Version : Delta Dreamflight vs. Buzz Lightyear?

darthmacho
10-24-2007, 12:45 PM
I just saw a YouTube vid of Delta Dreamflight. I've never been on it, and it wasn't what I had pictured it to be. Can anyone with experience with both compare and contrast them and describe how they are similar or different?

Also, for everyone else, please give your opinions on either ride, good or bad.

:laundry: Going to transfer some laundry. Hope I have some replie when I get back! :mickey:

offwego
10-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Buzz (for us) is the ride that allowed me to get my DH to keep going back.

On our first trip with then 5 year old ds (how did that happen) he just loved the ride. I mean whole face light up loved it. We park hopped (the only time we did it that trip) the end of our epcot day to MK to ride it again and again during a parade. He carried ds on his shoulders through the main street stores to avoid the crowds etc.

that supper daddy moment (and proud grandma who made that trip possible) have created the desire to save for multiple other trips..no buzz moment and I'd likely being going to some other vacation spot. So for me it's pretty precious!

JPL
10-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Dream flight was a history of air travel type attraction much like WoM in Epcot was for Transportation in general. It started out as If You had Wings sponsored by Eastern Airlines which use the same projection effect El Rio Del Tiempo and the Grand Fiest Tour use. It briefly changed names to If You Could Fly when Eastern dropped their sponsorship due to financial problems. The ride emerged as Delta Dreamflight when the airline signed on to be the Official Airline of WDW much like Eastern was before them. It was a nice quiet dark ride that had some cool effects and there was never a line so it was a great place to cool off and relax on a hot day. Delta pulled their sponsorship of the ride and it bacame Take Flight before Buzz opened. The Buzz ride follows the same exact track and uses similar flat props for the most part and even incoorporates the speed tunnels from the old rides.

jclightchasr
10-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Darth I am glad you asked this question. Dreamflight was one of my very favorite rides and I miss it alot. I am not a huge fan of Buzz but my kids are and they love the ride. Regarding dreamflight, It was one of the most if not the most romantic rides I have ever been on. When it first started you wouldn't think so because it was basically a room with alot of 2 dimension characters and early flying machines all moving, spinning with bright colors. Midway into the ride there were scenes of exotic destinations of travel such as Japanese Gardens, A paris Bistro. There was even a inside model of a classic airliner with a dining area complete with china and crystal. All of these were very detailed with dim lighting and music that complimented the atmosphere. Later the ride had screens of people flying and doing stunts and there was the supersonic flight room which had a had a giant canopy shaped screen as you progressed through your seat would lean back simulating take off and then there was the turbine engine room which was smoke filled (smelled like a fog machines smoke) with lighting effects projected onto the smoke that gave the appearance of turbine engine blades. The ending was a letdown...a giant popup book if I remember correctly. The line was always short but this was a continual motion ride like TTA so it could really cut through the crowds. Regarding Buzz I have only rode it once and would not go back if it wasn't for my kids. The scenes are not magical to me it is still a dark ride but in my personal opinion they should have done a ride that encompassed all of the toystory characters not just the little subplot of buzz vs. zurg. Everything looks the same its either black of glowing. There isn't any themeing change. I think they could have done more such as 1. Andy's Room 2. pizza planet 3. Sids room 4. the move 5. als toy barn 6. als apartment 7. the airport. They could have the whole basic story with 7 themes. Just imagineering a bit forgive me. Sorry for all you Buzz fans out there but I wish they would bring back dreamflight.

IloveDisney71
10-24-2007, 01:23 PM
I've ridden both and I really prefer the Buzz Lightyear ride. It is so much fun because it's interactive. AND I got the high score one time! (Not sure how that happened - LOL). We ride Buzz several times during each trip to WDW.

Strmchsr
10-24-2007, 02:44 PM
Well, I would have previously said Buzz hand's down, but now that WDW is coming out with an almost identical / upgraded Toy Story ride in MGM, I'd like to see Buzz go and something similar to Dreamflight return. I really miss all of the educational stuff WDW used to have.

TKDONALD
10-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Dream flight was a great ride. It is one of those rides that you just cant forget. My favorit part of the ride was the spaceship stuck in the moons eye. It was showing mans early ideas of flying.

Great ride. :mickey:

Ian
10-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Ahhhhhh ... fond nostalgia ...

Quite honestly, I like Buzz and all, but I'd take If You Had Wings/Dreamflight/Take Flight back any day.

There was a certain whimsy to If You Had Wings that is definitely missing from Buzz. Buzz is more shrill and carnival-esque and I'm not sure it necessarily "fits" in Magic Kingdom.

It also has serious maintenance issues that they can't seem to work around. That ride looks TERRIBLE!

AdventurerKim
10-24-2007, 05:09 PM
I prefer Buzz over Dreamflight/If You Had Wings. That was one attraction change that was better than the last. :mickey:

century3
10-24-2007, 06:12 PM
I’d say I prefer Dreamflight. Buzz is fun to ride every once and a while, but Dreamflight was a much nicer attraction, in my opinion. The scenes and music worked well together and provided for a pleasant experience.

Hmm…Does world showcase need an international travel themed attraction? Sorry, just doing a bit of wishful thinking.:blush:

prprincess
10-25-2007, 08:56 AM
I loved Delta Dreamflight. Even moreso when it was Eastern Airlines' If You Had Wings. I've always been interested in aviation, so as a child visiting WDW, it was such an amazing ride to me. I will definitely never forget it.

Buzz is a fun ride. My DSs have yet to ride it, but I'm sure that they will love it. DH loves the interactivity, while I just sit back and enjoy the ride since I score horribly. But while I'm on it I can actually remember what was where during Dreamflight/IYHW and it brings back fond memories. Especially the tunnel portion.

brewcrew26
10-25-2007, 11:53 AM
I was so sad when Dreamflight was gone! It's such a different ride than Buzz Lightyear. It's hard to put the two in the same category of rides except that you may be riding in something.

Dreamflight was more of a historical look at flight. There's one scene in particular that I absolutely loved -- you go into this old 1920s-type jetliner and see how planes used to have dining cars -- just like trains do. It was really cool to see the place settings and everything. It felt like you could almost get out of your tram and just eat dinner there.

It was a lot slower. I don't know if you ever had a chance to go on the old World of Motion ride -- it was similar to that. Just going through a bunch of vignettes.

While I absolutely love Buzz Lightyear and trying to beat Emperor Zurg, there will always be a place in my heart for some of the old departed rides like Dreamflight.

Tink's Mom
10-25-2007, 11:58 AM
It was one of my favorite rides when I was young. I would ride it over and over. I remember how good it felt to come in from out of the heat, and feel the cool breeze. You felt as though you were flying. My favorite part was when you went past the sceneries of different countries. Everyone here gave great descriptions of the expierence. Memories....

Main Street Jim
10-29-2007, 10:21 AM
I'd take If You Had Wings/Dreamflight/Take Flight back any day.
Me too.

I miss the OLD (original) Tomorrowland.

murphy1
10-29-2007, 11:37 AM
I miss Wings AND Toad so much!! Those are two things that I think of when I'm at MK every trip! But my kids love Buzz and Pooh, so I digress:mickey:

biodtl
10-29-2007, 12:02 PM
It's hard for me to say which was better, since they are so different, plus there's nostalgia to factor in. But I really did love If You Could Fly/Had Wings/Dreamflight. I always loved those kinds of rides as a child, because they took something seemingly ordinary and made it magnificent. I do love Buzz, and my kids adore it, but I wish I could show them more of the "old" rides.

Sweezy
10-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Like a few others, i have a huge sentimental attachment to Delta Dreamflight...not to mention Delta has always been my favorite airline and aviation is one of my biggest hobbies/interests. it was really just a nice dark ride to relax on...classic Disney type stuff that as i recall brought you through the history of aviation. i love buzz too...obviously its more involved and active/fun...definitely a cant miss ride for us.

Pigtunia
10-31-2007, 04:42 PM
No contest, Buzz is a WAY better ride than Dream Flight ever was.

"Absence make the heart grow fonder" and all, and I did like Dreamflight went I was little, but seriously...

JasonH
11-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Dream flight was a great ride. It is one of those rides that you just cant forget. My favorit part of the ride was the spaceship stuck in the moons eye. It was showing mans early ideas of flying.

Great ride. :mickey:

Hate to tell ya TK but that was from Horizons, not Dreamflight.

But regardless, I do miss Dreamflight like some other rides that are no longer or have been revamped to where it's nowhere near the original. There was one time that I was at MK during the early days of the EMH and I rode Dreamflight several times in a row...enough to the point the CM at the end of the ride let me stay on it without getting off and having to get back in line. :D:D Now if asking which I like better, can't really say I have a fave. I like Buzz a lot too, especially with a niece that likes to ride a lot of the WDW rides with her uncle more than she does her dad.:rotfl: