PDA

View Full Version : To Hoop De Doo or not?

Cindy'smom
10-24-2007, 07:58 AM
I'm considering Hoop De Doo for our upcoming Feburary vacation mainly because of the excellent reviews I read here. The western theme isn't anything I am generally attracted to. The menu seems like something my family would enjoy, and I'm sure my DH and DDs (13 and 9) would enjoy the show. Anyone out there NOT enjoy HDD? Any thoughts? I'd like to try something new. Anyone else feel like me before going and then enjoyed the show?

scottgr
10-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Hello, I love the HDD. The food is great and the kids will love it. I had never been to till my wife said she loved when she went with her parents. We decided we would go. We had a blast. I ended up on the stage. It was crazy funny. We went again the last time we down and plan to go again next Oct 08. Have a blast.:thumbsup:

LibertyTreeGal
10-24-2007, 09:19 AM
I say.... DOO! :D

It's a riot. You can download clips on you tube, but it doesn't really do it justice.

BBrinkman
10-24-2007, 09:49 AM
HDD is by far the best dinner show you're going to come across at WDW. We make sure to go everytime we visit. And, although there's not a bad seat in the house, being on the ground floor is best. I highly recommend HDD!

jaff87
10-24-2007, 10:19 AM
We have gone 4 years in a row - my kids are now 9 & 11. We all had a blast! You won't be disappointed.

Cindy'smom
10-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Thank you all for the replies. I keep hearing such wonderful reviews. I think the price has me wondering if it is worth it for someone who isn't attracted to western themeing. It is sounding like we need to give it a try. The other option for me is to see Cirque again. We have seen it and I'd love to see it again, but I'm really looking for new experiences this trip. Keep your thoughts coming!:mickey:

elizabeth turner
10-24-2007, 11:00 AM
We were a party of 10 ranging in age from 40ish to 3. Everyone had a good time. It was enjoyable for the 20 somethings in our party who were about sick of character meals by that point in the trip. It was entertaining but yet we weren't being enterupted while we were eating, like some of the character meals. The only thing I didn't like was the sangria. It reminded those of us who have been to branson Mo of something you might see at silver dollar city.

HndrdPrcnt
10-24-2007, 11:25 AM
I would have to agree with all of the previous posters, this is a MUST DOOOO!! Of all of the dinner shows that we have been to, this is far-and-away the best. Obviously we must not be the only ones to think so since it is one of the longest running out there!! The food is great (and all-you-can eat :thumbsup:), the show itself is lots of fun (even if you are not in to the country genre), and it is appropriate for all ages.

We had a party of 10 ranging from 4 - 40+ and every one of us loved it and we will probably do it again on our next trip!!

Just DOOOOOOO it!

SteveL
10-24-2007, 12:09 PM
HDD is good, but I think it is pricey for a fried chicken/rib dinner.
Sometimes there are discounts available for the last seating of the night, somewhere around 9:30.

Disdad13
10-24-2007, 05:51 PM
The western theme isn't anything I am generally attracted to

I was EXACTLY like you! My DW had wanted to try HDD the last few years, but I was VERY reluctant - I am not big on "HeeHaw" humor or anything like that. But, being the good, loving DH that I am, I caved and we went on our trip in September. It was the best dinner experience we have ever had at Disney! Yes, it is pricey (although, we were there during free dining, so all it cost us was 2TS credits each), but it was a BLAST! My DW loved it, my DS5 loved it, and I loved it! You will too - trust me! Give it a try - you won't be disappointed!

ElenitaB
10-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Brooklyn is just about as far from country/western as you can get, and we had a GREAT time at Hoop Dee Doo. I would definitely suggest you go!

LCPZA
10-24-2007, 07:12 PM
I personally did not like the Hoop Dee Doo. It is a little Corny. However the food was amazing. I do however still sing the Hoop Dee Doo song. I would go once just to say you did it. I am even thinking of doing it again to see if I was just having a bad night and was not in the Hoop Dee Doo spirit. Go try it, if you don't enjoy the show you should enjoy the food.

Cindy'smom
10-25-2007, 06:37 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I especially appreciate hearing from all the "non Hee Haw" folks that found it enjoyable. I think we will have to give it a try. :mickey:

RALPH
10-25-2007, 06:43 AM
I don't like anything western ... and I love it. We have done it 3 times. Enjoy it! At least once.

Goofy Pluto
10-25-2007, 12:48 PM
If you can afford it, absolutely, go do it. I wish we were going on our upcoming trip, but we can't afford it and really, with our super-picky eaters (very young children), it wouldn't be worth it on this trip. We'll go again some time in the future when our kids are older. And I'm very much looking forward to it! HIGHLY recommended.

Maleficent's Dad
10-25-2007, 01:01 PM
HDDR is a family favorite. My kids are now 6 & 8 and they love it as much (if not more than) DW and myself.

I will say that the food, while plentiful, is not exactly gourmet. It's decent, good filling stuff. I wouldn't personally go for the food itself. The show is the attraction here.

Brooklyn is just about as far from country/western as you can get, and we had a GREAT time at Hoop Dee Doo.
:funny: Too bad there aren't more Country & Western saloons in Bed Stey...

Mousefever
10-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Are there any alternatives to chicken and ribs for a picky 9 year old? Do they have any hotdogs or PB&J hidden in the back? I know that my son could fill up on the sides and strawberry shortcake, but I'd like to know if I can request something different. Thanks!

Amy

:dory:

Hull-onian
10-27-2007, 02:12 PM
We are going to the HDD for the first time next spring. I thought it would be a good way to kick off our vacation. Our first day there will be at the HDD, and we are truly looking forward to it. 173 days to go, yippee!!!!!:joy:

jpH/keD
10-27-2007, 05:47 PM
I so wanted to do this on our up coming trip (19 days) but I was out voted !:( Our NEXT trip it is at the top of my must doo list!! Have fun and post about it when you get back!! :thumbsup:

Jared
10-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Sorry for sounding negative, but my family did not enjoy the Hoop-De-Doo Musical Revue. I know it's part of Disney tradition and has existed seemingly forever, but we thought the shtick was tired and silly, and the whole experience was too expensive for a mediocre show and bad food.

I suppose it's worth trying once, but I'd pass if I were on a budget.

Vinny
10-27-2007, 07:18 PM
The HDDMR is a great show that is well worth the price. We have been twice before and would not hesitate to go back on a future trip.

In terms of the price, you have to take into account that you are not only paying for the food but also a 1.5+ hour show. The 'western theme' is not that noticeable outside of the costumes worn by the entertainers. I am not big into westerns but I did enjoy the HDDR.

It is not a dinner we book for every vacation but it is well worth it from time to time. Give it a shot, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Enjoy!!

Mom2princesses
10-28-2007, 09:39 PM
I have been dying to see the HDDR and finally we did it this past August. My dh is very picky and he was not looking foward to it but we had a blast including my dh! My 3 yo and 10 yo girls both loved it. I was great family fun. The only thing we didn't like was the sangria (ewwww). But you can get beer (my dh) or diet soda (me).

The show just made you laugh and smile. It was lots of fun. Try it you'll like it! :)

Hull-onian
11-11-2007, 02:58 PM
We are going to the HDD for the first time in April. We are all excited because we are going there the day we get in from Boston. Can't wait. Tried to keep it a secret, didn't work!! I think we made a good choice.:D

CandleontheWater
11-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Thanks for all the mini-reviews! We'll be there next week for the first time in 21 years so I'm really excited to re-experience it. All of your high praise is only making me more excited!

TheMartellFamily
11-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Well worth it. It truly is a good time. We went with a group of 12 of all ages and had a wonderful time. Even my DS is the pickiest eater and they got something for him to eat. Sit and eat and enjoy the show.

blue_sky_phase
11-27-2007, 10:59 AM
DOO it!

Oh man, it's so much fun.

I was worried at first, but it just draws you in.

I went there on my honeymoon with my wife who had never been to Disney and even she loved it.

They made us get up and have our first dance in front of everyone.

It's a blast and worth every penny!

Cheers!

wendy*darling
11-27-2007, 11:17 AM
I am totally NOT a fan of corny, country-western, slapstick, etc.
However, I completely enjoy HDD!
We have been 3 times now. The first time when our boys were 3 & 6- and they loved it! One of the show girls came and sat on my (:blush: very shy) husband's lap and left a big red smooch mark on his forehead! He loved it and the kids loved it (me too.. ;))Next, we went when the kids were 13 & 16 and we were celebrating my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. My parents had a blast and enjoyed dancing the Anniversary Waltz at our table-side!
This past summer we took our Boy Scout troop and chaperones- 38 people in all. Everyone had fun - even those "I'm too cool for this" teenage boys!

I add my voice to those saying- "DOO it!" at least once. You won't regret it- and you'll understand why everyone else raves. :mickey:

Cinderelley
11-27-2007, 01:18 PM
I grew up with "Hee Haw" and never liked it. I don't like Hoop Dee Doo, either. DH & the kids did enjoy it.

It wasn't a horrible experience. It just wasn't for me.