PDA

View Full Version : Accomodating senior mobility

kdkhopper
10-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Hi all, we'll be travelling to DLR with my mother who at 71 is beginning to have some mobility issues. She has a difficult time being on her feet for more than about 20 minutes at a time and we're considering renting a wheelchair at the parks for her. We're a bit worried about lengthy waits in line though and she would hate to have to sit out some of her favorites. Are there any kind of special passes we can get at City Hall that might help with this? Do you need a note from her Dr. or do they take your word for it? (She doesn't use a walker or cane - she just has to sit and rest frequently.) We've been going to DL since I was little but never had to worry about this kind of thing before so I know nothing about the resources offered. Thanks for any info!

NotaGeek
10-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Some of the rides at Disneyland were built prior to required accessibilty laws so they do not have room for wheel chair access through the queues. Most do however allow wheel chair access via the exits and since your mother can stand and walk to the cars it shouldn't be a problem to get in the lines. I don't think you even need anything from City Hall to use the wheel chair lines, you just need a wheel chair.

At DCA all of the rides are either accessible or have easy wheel chair access so there won't be any problems there.

It might be a good idea for some rides to utilize the fast passes since some fast pass queues allow quick access to the actual front of the line (as opposed to a ride like Indy that barely gives the fast pass a lead against the regular queue). Sometimes it also seems that the wheel chair access at Pirates (which is that long line of chairs and guests that line up by Blue Bayou) is longer than the actual regular line.

Good luck, and no doubt you will get much more advice! :mickey:

DoomBuggyDude
10-24-2007, 01:33 AM
By all means stop by City Hall and get the
guide for guests w/disabilities. It will save
you a lot of frustration.

New attractions and newly remodeled
attractions have been built wheelchair accessible,
so all she will need to do is transfer
from the wheelchair to the vehicle most of the
time.