PDA

View Full Version : New Canada Film...

Main Street Jim
10-23-2007, 10:07 AM
OK, so we went and saw the new Canada film a coupla weeks back.

Don't like it.

It's worse, in my opinion, than the original film. The original at least showed the beauty of the Great White North. The new film relies more on Martin Short's "comedy" (I don't find him all that funny) and the tying-in of "other Disney attractions" ("I'm late for my Soarin' FastPass...") :ack: There's also points in the new film where all nine screens are just FILLED with Short's face(s); I enjoyed the scenery and music of the original much better. I thought the whole point of a "Circle-Vision" film was so that you could look all the way around on all nine screens and not see the same picture twice. They also redid the "Canada (You're a Lifetime Journey)" song with someone from their version of American Idol, and I don't like it, either.

I've seen the original film quite a few times, and loved it. I doubt I'll see this new one more than twice.

xipetotec
10-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Hey Jim,

I can't give my two cents yet as I haven't seen it. I do agree that Martin Short's face taking up too much space on a movie about Canada kind of misses the point. However, my understanding is that this movie focuses more on the cities and nightlife in Canada.

As a Canadian I always found it a little embarassing that it made us look like a bunch of woods dwelling lumberjacks.

Either way, this is definitely on my list for our trip in March.

poeticeclipse
10-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Oh no! I just hate hearing this because i've only seen the original video once and I fell in love with it. I was hoping that they would not make it worse but it sounds like it's gone down hill. Nothing against Martin Short but, I just can't see him doing the video! And if they don't use the circle-vision then it's just silly. That was some of the most entertaining material used!

So sad to see the original gone :(

Imagineer1981
10-23-2007, 10:32 AM
I truley enjoy Martin Short and I look forward to seeing the movie, and eating cheese soup!

faline
10-23-2007, 10:38 AM
I saw the new version in the last couple of weeks and I really liked it!

MNNHFLTX
10-23-2007, 12:07 PM
I saw the new "O Canada" Circle Vision 3-D with some friends a couple of weeks ago and we all thought it was terrific! Not only does it update the original nicely, but with Martin Short narrating I thought it had an element of humor in it that was very entertaining. I was a fan of the old version for nostalgic reasons, but there are a few scenes in the new film that were preserved from the old, like the sledding/skating on the canal and the Mounties forming a circle on horseback. And of course, there's the "Canada" song, which I thought was beautifully redone by Eva Avila.

I would be interested to hear what Canadians think after they see the new version. :)

JohnHMCWYG
10-23-2007, 12:09 PM
I look forward to seeing the new version of this next year. I'm somewhat of a Martin Short fan and it'll be interesting to see him back in Epcot, considering that the Wonders Of Life is only seasonal now.

Canada is interesting to me. I've always wanted to know what country it's tied to, considering that there are elements of British and French culture in the country.

Rather puzzling...Maybe some of our Canadian members could help me out on that one?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Flower
10-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Canadian here!!!!

We saw the new movie at the beginning of October and really enjoyed it.

I think the new film portrayed a better Canadian feel than the old one did, to me personally anyway. They left a lot of the old film footage in, and I liked how they broke a lot of Canadian 'myths' (Snows 24-7 and is always dark, etc).

I am not a Martin Short fan either, and I feel they could have picked a better-known Canadian singer, but I think Eva Avila did a fantastic job on the re-make of the song (I could not tell you anything else she sings!)

Overall, we were very happy with the new film and wished we had of seen it more than once.

I was disappointed to learn they actually did a 're-dedication' ceremony for Canada, we were at EPCOT that day and had no clue it was going on or we would have been there.

Polynesian Dweller
10-23-2007, 12:35 PM
considering that the Wonders Of Life is only seasonal now.

Canada is interesting to me. I've always wanted to know what country it's tied to, considering that there are elements of British and French culture in the country.

Rather puzzling...Maybe some of our Canadian members could help me out on that one?

Ok, first about the film. As a Canadian, this is a vast improvement in showing our country. It shows the cities and multicultural flavour of the country. The first film played to unrealistic stereotypes of Canada and Canadians and was an annoyance and an embarassment.

Ok, about Wonders of Life, when we walked into it for the wine festival (its being used for that) last week, there was little left of the original. I doubt that its even seasonal now.

Canada has its routes in both the UK and France and we are not 'tied' to either. Generally, the French established Lower Canada (Quebec) and the British, upper Canada (now Ontario). There is a beautiful French for (Louisbourg) in Nova Scotia, and a magnificent British Fort (the Citadel in Halifax)) also in Nova Scotia. Both cultures led to our multicultural nation.

That continues today as our country welcome other cultures as part of a multicultural society and not the melting pot nature of the USA. Neither is better, just different.

The Oh Canada film captures that multicultural nature in the film along with the beauty of our landscape and the sophistication of our cities.

Loved that soapbox.:D

Flower
10-23-2007, 12:35 PM

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

John, just wondering whereabouts do you live? Canada, to me, is actually very American-ized. Most of our television shows and stations are US, the majority of us speak English (Quebec & New Brunswick are mainly bi-lingual). I notice no real difference when we travel to the US, except we pay almost double for everything and our dollar is now above par!

Mr. Tom Morrow
10-23-2007, 01:18 PM
I haven't seen the new movie yet, but I am excited about the update. I have to agree that the old movie, while being nostalgic was outdated.
When ever my family went to watch it we felt a little embarrassed about how we were portrayed.

The old film was beautifully shot and had amazing scenery and I will miss it but the update was needed in my opinion:thumbsup:

DisneyDudet
10-23-2007, 01:33 PM
I thought the update was rather good. There are still shots from the old film, plus a lot of new scenes. I liked seeing all the shots of the cities, seeing how modern they are and actually very neat! It makes me want to go visit all of them!

My only qualm is that there seemed to be a limited amout of 360º spots. There were a lot of one shot per screen, a lot more than the previous film. Thats pretty much it!

I didn't know the song would be the same as the original, except that Eva Avila is singing it. The male part should have been in there, but, that's a pet peeve of mine!

xipetotec
10-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Canada has its routes in both the UK and France and we are not 'tied' to either. Generally, the French established Lower Canada (Quebec) and the British, upper Canada (now Ontario). There is a beautiful French for (Louisbourg) in Nova Scotia, and a magnificent British Fort (the Citadel in Halifax)) also in Nova Scotia. Both cultures led to our multicultural nation.

That continues today as our country welcome other cultures as part of a multicultural society and not the melting pot nature of the USA. Neither is better, just different.

The Oh Canada film captures that multicultural nature in the film along with the beauty of our landscape and the sophistication of our cities.

Loved that soapbox.:D

Beautifully said. however, we *ARE* tied to Great Britain actually through the commonwealth. Granted we are pretty much independant, but not *completely* whereas we no longer have any affiliation with France ( other than through inherited culture ).

kbean
10-23-2007, 05:27 PM
I cried when I saw the film. Because I couldn't beleive I stood there and watched it.

GrmGrninGost
10-23-2007, 05:56 PM
After seeing the new version, I definitely like the original better. I'm not a big fan of Martin Short. And, I agree, the song was much better in the original version!

disneydeb
10-23-2007, 06:41 PM
I like Martin Short. I can remember wanting to hop on the first plane to Canada after the first film. I didn't have that compulsion after this film .

devoted93
10-23-2007, 07:59 PM
My only qualm is that there seemed to be a limited amout of 360º spots. There were a lot of one shot per screen, a lot more than the previous film. Yeah, that was my major problem with it. What's the point of a 360 movie if all of the screens are showing the same thing?

hoop de do
10-23-2007, 08:12 PM
I just saw the new version and really liked it. I thought it was a refreshing change. The old version was great also but I think it was definitely in need of a change. Canada is a beautiful country. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

PirateLover
10-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Haven't seen it yet, but generally I do like Martin Short, and if I'm being honest the old Canada film bored me to death and was my least favorite circlevision film. I'll check this out in December.

ILoveLegos
10-23-2007, 10:09 PM
I liked the new film a lot better than the sleepy original, to make up my mind, I watched it a lot during our recent visit. I liked the old film too but, it was obviously outdated and lacked in the diversity of the people. The updated song is more soulful now, a welcomed change - the french is sung a little better this time around I think. I did kinda of miss the male singer's counter point though, as another poster pointed out. I think Martin Short is so funny, but then again he reminds me of a childhood friend so, I'm probably a bit more partial and nostalgic. The only thing I really missed were the night skiers holding lanterns really, but I have a copy of the original on my computer - so it will surfice when that nostalgic feeling kicks in. The film made me want to "keep on walking north past the big silver ball, and tell them Martin sent me". :thumbsup:

Carol
10-24-2007, 08:19 AM
I've seen the original film quite a few times, and loved it.I've seen the original more than "quite a few times".

Regardless if one loved it or not -- it was in dire need of updating.

I think they did a wonderful job with the new film. Martin Short does a great job introducing visitors to his Country.

ChipnDaleGal
10-24-2007, 08:34 AM
I just saw the new film during the Intercot Meet week and I really liked it. It was gorgeous to watch, very informative, and Martin Short brought such a lively and engaging element to the film. I had several laugh out loud moments from Martin as well as getting goosebumps a few times from the awesome beauty. It is the kind of film I could view multiple time and enjoy. I give it a big:thumbsup:

LibertyTreeGal
10-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Martin Short? Yuck -- why didn't they use Rick Moranis? I used to love him on SCTV and he's already a Disney veteran -- plus he can play it straight. I was really looking forward to the new flick :(

I wouldn't have even insisted on Doug and Bob MacKenzie -- although now they are Disney too (for you poor people deprived of SCTV, they are who the Moose brothers in Brother Bear were based on, same performers, only dressed in animated Moose suits) :D

Oh, and I wonder why they didn't try to get Celine Dion to sing??

John
10-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Saw it with a bunch of the INTERCOT staff and the consensus was, it was a great addition. Informative, fun, playful and entertaining.

Big thumbs up from us and a perfect example of how to keep a world showcase country interesting and up to date!

Main Street Jim
10-24-2007, 09:54 AM
I just think that the new film didn't need all the "theme park" references in it, the "comedy", and all the "single-shots on one screen" type pictures, especially Martin Short on all nine screens...:ack: The park references didn't need to be in a film about Canada, and it just made it seem really cheesy to me; in my opinion, I just didn't like it (the new one). I liked the old one better, and didn't feel that any "stereotypes" were played out in the original. The old film certainly didn't make me think of Canadians as "backwoods Northern redneck lumberjack" types; the shots were gorgeous; and the theme song was much better in the old one.

Call me "old skool"...I miss Horizons, Journey Into Imagination with DreamFinder and Figment, World of Motion, El Rio del Tiempo, the Living Seas...I'd hate to see what they've done to Spaceship Earth.

Oh - and for what it's worth, I have NOT seen the updated American Adventure show yet.

AwPhooey
10-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Call me "old skool"...I miss Horizons, Journey Into Imagination with DreamFinder and Figment, World of Motion, El Rio del Tiempo, the Living Seas...I'd hate to see what they've done to Spaceship Earth.

Oh - and for what it's worth, I have NOT seen the updated American Adventure show yet.

I agree with you, Jim. While I haven't seen the updated Canada film, American Adventure or El Rio del Tiempo (or whatever it's called these days), I really miss the original attractions.

Sure, theme parks are supposed to be fun (which, I admit is true for Mission:Space and Test Track), but I really enjoyed the educational/informative aspects of the original rides.

Gottaluvgoof
10-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Well, I went to the new movie, but I couldn't tell you much about it. All I know is I don't like the circle vision theater. It made me sick and I couldn't watch it. I had to get out of there before the movie ended. I wish they could have at least put benches in there. That standing, especially at Epcot when walking all day, is ridiculous. Everyone in our group agreed that we would probably never go back to this one.

offwego
10-24-2007, 11:17 AM
canal and the Mounties forming a circle on horseback. I would be interested to hear what Canadians think after they see the new version. :)
The Mounties still do this in several locations for people to see in person..and I am a Cdn. who really loved the new show!

I too felt the old one was not showing us in our best light..the majority of the population (in numbers) does live in urban areas and it was nice to see a better balance between them in this film.

John, most CDN's will say we have roots in these cultures (and ties via the commonwealth system) but are primarily identified with Canada as a whole vs a prev. relationship (by and large exceptions prove rules as ususal).

Re the not using the circle vision thing I suspect that's in part cause using the whole things is so hard to watch..you just get dizzy!

garymacd
10-24-2007, 11:34 AM
I would be interested to hear what Canadians think after they see the new version. :)

We saw it in September. I thought it was very well done - except they skipped over our hometown. Some would say that is just as well. Marty Short grew up in this area and it explains his sense of humour.

My only dislike of the entire film was his pronunciation of Quebec. It is not Kwebec. It is more correctly pronounced Kebec. But that is just me picking nits.

KODABEAR
10-24-2007, 12:15 PM
We saw it in Sept and really enjoyed the new film. The music, color and scenery were great. :pine:

tomorrowschild
10-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Speaking as a Canadian I really liked the updates. The movie was in great need of this update. I am very happy with the job that Martin Short did. I still feel that the film shows the beauty of our nation- just a more up-to-date version. I really enjoyed that they showed more of the prairie and farm land (being from Saskatchewan that is a huge, huge part of our culture). I also enjoyed that they mentioned Moose Jaw (yay MJ!!!!!!).
And about the Mounties on horse back- we see it here (The Musical Ride)- it is a wonderful display and tourist attraction. We have one of the RCMP training academies in Regina.