PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound right for foot orthotics?

merlinmagic4
10-22-2007, 07:10 PM
My son saw a doctor at a large city hospital to get foot inserts because he has a lot of foot pain while walking. He saw the orthopedic surgeon first who referred us to this orthotics office.

They told my husband insurance didn't cover it and the orthotics would cost about 300.00. They called me for an appointment and again told me it would be about 300.00 and I needed to give a deposit of 100.00.

So, we get there today and the bill is 517.00 (for a total of 617.00 with the deposit). I was STUNNED! They are hard plastic inserts, not what they had discussed at the first visit I guess (I wasn't there). My husband said they discussed some sort of "foam" insert. The doctor said they felt my son needed more support than what they thought originally. I just think it would have been nice if he had discussed it with us.

However, I am not in the business of orthotics so I have no idea if this is "normal" or priced appropriately.

Unfortunately, the extra 300.00 I paid today came right out of my Disney fund. That's probably why I am so bummed about it.

Is this cost average for this type of service/foot insert? I'd feel a lot better if someone told me it was a bargain!

I'm thinking we should have tried Dr. Scholls gel inserts first :blush:

AnnieBananie
10-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Thought I would tell you about my orthodics......I LOVE them. My orthopedist wanted me to have extensive ankle surgery. I asked about an alternative to surgery and ended up with a prescription for orthodics. Mine were $250. and my insurance helped. (I only contributed $25. to the cost as I had met my deductible.) But, I would have paid full price if I had known how much they would have helped my feet and ankles!! I now have several pairs of them to put into different shoes. (They only are fitted into my athletic shoes and are thick foam.) So, when I wear shoes without them, my feet don't feel as good. I would advise you to double check with your insurance co. and see if you can get some help with the cost. Other members of my family (sister, nephew) have the hard plastic type. They live in another area and I'm not sure why mine are foam and theirs are plastic.
Hopefully, your son will benefit from them and I do hope you get some help with the cost.
(They have been wonderful to have when I do lots of walking -- like at WDW!!!!

Donald A
10-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Let me first say Dr. Scholls is not the same thing as what your son got. I am not going to discuss on here prices for orthotics, but let me just ease your mind that they are expensive and in a real large city, what you paid may be an appropriate price. However, honestly, your quoted price seems to me as a bit of a bargain while your actual price may be a little steep. I guess if you think about it as something your son will wear everyday it is a necessary evil. My eyeglasses were well over $400 and that is with a decent vision plan.

RenDuran
10-23-2007, 12:09 AM
Did they do a mold of your son's foot to make these orthotics?

My husband has incredibly flat feet, and about 12 years ago he was almost crippled with pain when he walked. He went to a foot doctor who did a mold of his feet and made hard plastic orthotics. They were very expensive....I can't even remember any more, but it was up in the hundreds of dollars. But those orthotics were life-savers. If he doesn't wear them every day, he is almost crippled up again. Good luck to your son.

ldn324
10-23-2007, 07:05 AM
I too need prescription orthotics and my podiatrist told me they would run around $325 for the ones I need. Although insurance will pay a portion, I would have to pay first, then get reimbursed from the insurance company.

The ones I need are a very hard plastic with a vinyl-type of covering and a softer heel cup. Let me back up what Donald A said - Dr. Scholl's are never, ever appropriate for anyone with foot problems. Really, they aren't much good for anyone period. All you need to do is place an insert on the table and place the full weight of your body on it using your hand. You will see that the support caves and that the insert goes flat. Same goes for those over-the-counter inserts you can buy online. They just aren't made to stand up (no pun intended) to the use your body will give them.

While it would have been nice to be told you would have to pay more than originally thought, the comfort and relief that your son will most likely get from the script inserts will be far worth the extra cost. Is he going to WDW with you? If so - trust me - that money did go towards your Disney fund. That's the #1 place you do not want your feet to hurt at.

Good luck! I hope the inserts bring your son much needed relief. I know all too well the perils of foot pain.

merlinmagic4
10-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the input. I sure hope they do help him out! I would pay anything to help him. I was just shocked at the price difference between the quote and actual. Maybe he was quoting per foot but my husband thinks he got a different insert than was in the quote. The doctor was talking about how they make them at the original visit and foam was mentioned. I don't care as long as they work.

I guess I can shop around different places since I am paying cash. It's just that I only had 228.00 actually saved for Disney (in 18 days) so it actually sets me into the negative but it doesn't really matter.

Maybe we'll be able to spend more time in the parks :thumbsup: I always attributed his fatigue to his kidney failure but maybe the foot pain had more to do with it (since we still could only do 5-6 hours a day in April post transplant).

DonaldA,
I DID NOT mean to offend you at all! I was kidding about the Dr. Scholls. I know we got the best for him. Can I see a local podiatrist for this kind of thing or do we need to see an orthopedic surgeon in the future?

Michigander
10-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Both my daughter and my husband wear them. They are ver expencive and my insurance dose not cover them! My daugheter had surgery on both her feet first (she had very flat feet like dad and by age 10 she could hardly walk 1/2 an hr. at Disney without crying her feet hurt!) Dad could use the surgery too but for him it would mean a year of no work after having both of his feet done. That will only happen if we win the lottery. That is the only way we could afford him being off work that long. Anyway they are a God send and have made all the differance in the world for both of they. I can feel your pain about the funding of them it's the same for us.

Donald A
10-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Can I see a local podiatrist for this kind of thing or do we need to see an orthopedic surgeon in the future?

Most podiatrists should be able to obtain a good custom orthotic but you may want to call around first.

brownie
10-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Mu wife and I both had orthotics about 10 years ago. It was $300 for each of our pairs (luckily insurance covered it.)

Donald A
10-25-2007, 07:52 AM
DonaldA,
I DID NOT mean to offend you at all! I was kidding about the Dr. Scholls. I know we got the best for him. Can I see a local podiatrist for this kind of thing or do we need to see an orthopedic surgeon in the future?

Kelly, I was not offended about the Dr. Scholls comment. In fact, for my patients I SOMETIMES recommend them. They are a good first line for an adult with heel pain and the like. I was just saying that Dr. Scholls is nothing like what you got to try and make you feel better about your purchase. Sometimes things come across different online. I hope you didn't think I was offended and it was certainly sweet of you to worry about my feelings. That is what is great about this board. :mickey:

merlinmagic4
10-25-2007, 08:32 AM
I'm glad you weren't offended :blush:

I put the inserts in his drawer (so the dog wouldn't get them and chew them.......imagine that!!!!!!) and he hasn't even worn them yet. The doctor did say to break them in slowly so I need to put it at the front of my mind. We have two weeks until our Disney trip. Do you think he'll be able to wear them for a long period by then? I am going to be so excited if we can stay longer than 6 hours at the parks!