PDA

View Full Version : What finally made you say yes?

Dsnygirl
10-22-2007, 04:52 PM
:mickey: So -- for those of you who sat on the fence for awhile -- okay, a long while -- what finally clicked for you to be able to decide to buy into a DVC?

My Dh and I are definitely considering it, although even though we're a lot closer to it than ever before, it'll still be awhile for us, as we've got other major stuff to do first.

But, in order for us to be able to put the $$ aside for it, we want to feel totally committed to doing it. (We don't want to finance it - we feel that would defeat the purpose of having a "prepaid" vacation out there....)

We're thinking of staying at our chosen resort (most likely OKW) next time we go, just to see what we think... but other than that, I'd like to hear from other people who waited and then bought in on what it was that finally made the decision right for them.

(I hope this is considered a different thread than the sticky on "reasons why to buy in..." I did already read that through! :blush:)

Okay - so... let me have it, guys!! :thanks::thanks:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
10-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Our DD turned 3. :thumbsup:

Once our family of 5 could no longer stay in one room at a Value or most Mod's we decided that DVC would be the right move for us.

We had debated it for years. More like DH had debated it. I was a given from the start.

Dsnygirl
10-22-2007, 06:04 PM
We had debated it for years. More like DH had debated it. I was a given from the start.
Sounds familiar... I would've done it years ago, but it's just getting to my DH now that it might be a good idea for us. Of course, we've just started to go more, so that's probably why -- but he's still the "thinker" and I'm the "jump in right away and never look back" kind of person. :D

Maleficent's Dad
10-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Knew we were starting a family and we got tired of trying to get Disney's best prices.

We knew a long time ago that we'd be visiting Disney often. That was the clincher.

Zippy_D_DooDah
10-22-2007, 07:55 PM
If I had the chance to go back and buy in at the beginning I would. We were averaging one Disney trip per year. Now we can go 2-3 times a year. We may go even more once we get our in-laws to buy in. We did finance, but will pay it off when we sell our house (hopefully) next year when the housing market recovers. I feel so much more relaxed going as a DVC member. We are not as rushed. If we miss something, we try to catch it next trip. It's so nice to have a relaxing stroll down mainstreet. There is so much you miss when you don't "stop and smell the roses."

NewmanFamily6
10-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Well for us it was a no brainer b/c as a family of 6- we looked at what we had spent in 3 years on vacations and said better to pay that once for years of fun:mickey:

tundramom
10-22-2007, 08:29 PM
We were going more often and then we did a huge trip to WL (10 nights plus brought an extra guest) and realized we were spending in one trip what we could use for 2 or 3 trips! Best decision we ever made:cloud9:

vizsla
10-23-2007, 05:37 AM
We were going to WDW every year and we took a look at what we were spending each trip. For us we figured if we bought in, it would pay for itself after 5-6 trips, and save us money in the long term.

DISNEYFIX
10-23-2007, 07:54 AM
What convinced me was ,after looking at the BILL :sick:from the Poly. for the week:ill:. as well as atttending a MVMCP in Nov. of 06' :cloud9:, and understanding we probably will not miss another one for the rest of my life.

HOLITRIN
10-23-2007, 08:02 AM
What put us over the top was that we wanted to go every year versus every 3 - 4 years. The cost to go for us was approximately $5000 per trip for a family of 5. We could not justify spending that kind of money every year.

The biggest expense is the hotel. Now that we own, we can go every year and that expense is cut in half or more! :party:

We have gone and just relaxed at the resort and visited the other resorts, gone to DTD and played miniture golf. That trip, we did not visit the parks and there was a lot to do!! :D

Good luck on your decision and hope to Welcome you Home very soon. :cloud9:

PrincessASquared
10-23-2007, 12:57 PM
A couple of years ago, my DW and I were discussing making Disney an annual family vacation. So last March we took DD and a family friend to WL for a 10 day trip. We had never even heard of DVC. Everywhere we went we were meeting DVC members. Every one of them said that joining DVC was "the best thing they've ever done". It was at that point when we decided to look into DVC. We scheduled a tour and the rest is history. It was a no brainer considering were wanted to come here annualy anyway. Good luck.:thumbsup:

DVC2004
10-23-2007, 01:54 PM
I wasn't on the fence at all, I would have joined the day we toured! DH wanted to think about it. We were also seling our home at the time. He agreed a little more than six months later and we joined. The savings are great if you plan to vacation every year. We take two trips per year where we used to take one and are staying in the best accomodations. For us it really makes sense and we are so glad we joined.

MickeyMousse
10-23-2007, 01:58 PM
I made the decision while down in Florida on business. I was alone-no DH or DS's-and had the time to stop at a DVC kiosk at The Marketplace and really talk to someone about it. The cost of us going to Disney as often as we had wanted to go was climbing every time, so after the tour it was a no brainer. DVC makes it possible for us to go really as often as we like and I liked not being tied into a specific week like other timeshares. :number1: I remember calling my DH and saying "You're not going to believe what I have just done.":mickey:

Tink&Goofy
10-24-2007, 01:55 AM
Hi Blythe! :hi:
OK, so we are a little weird. We bought in sight unseen! In fact, we had never even been to WDW! :blush: But we had been to DL MANY times, and knew that we would like WDW just as much, if not more. I was planning a trip for us, and with 5 of us (who all like our SPACE), it was going to be really spendy to get either two rooms, or a suite - especially since we are very picky people - and like to stay in nice places! The cost savings for that one trip was about 1/3 the entire cost of the membership! (granted, we didn't have points for awhile, since we used them all). We were not disappointed in the least! It was everything we had hoped for. Just beware. Once you decide to buy, you will likely want to add on....and on....and on.....

disneycouple2004
10-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Our family had been DVC members since 1991.
After our wedding we made a promise to return every year to Disney for our anniversary. We decided to do the value resorts instead of DVC for now, being newlyweds and no $$ you know..so that 1st year staying at the value resort..being cram packed into one bus for all 3 resorts..dealing with rude unruly just plain unhappy folks..it was all we could take... so at the end of that first trip we bought our DVC @ SSR and could not be happier..it makes everthing so much more relaxing, and its cheaper in the long run since we go every year..:thumbsup:

princessjojo
10-24-2007, 06:35 PM
For DH & I, it took a while. We thought about it on our first visit and everytime a WDW commercial came on t.v. we talked about going back. Our second trip, HE actually stopped and spoke to a rep. who actually told that others that we spoke with knew nothing compared to him with regards to DVC & if we weren't sure what we wanted to do right then, that he had other things he needed to do; if we weren't able to commit right then, we were probably not DVC people. But most of all he had the cahoonas to tell DH that, not knowing anything about our finances, it was fine if we couldn't afford things like that in life, not everyone could. We just turned and walked away. But we were still interested, especially since DVC is not made up of people like him.

We thought and thought, all the while every time DH found himself in the dog house, he brought up buying it.

Then one day, I had a REALLY, REALLY bad day. Spent the day before upset & crying about an upcoming exam and 4 hours after the exam crying. Between the crying spells I made the binge purchase from the car driving down the road. There was nothing left but to tell DH what I had done. All I can say is he had a really great dinner waiting when he got home. Especially since I was pulling the $$ from his account.

I have never regretted the decision to buy. Now I have an excuse to go back. He now talks more about going than I ever thought he would. I just had to promise to never, ever get that upset again. We couldn't afford it to happen too many times.

Dsnygirl
10-26-2007, 10:06 AM
:thanks: Thank you so much, everyone, for all the insight... we are still a ways away from the final decision, but it's been great to read about everyone's experiences. I think once we sit down and talk to someone, it'll be a done deal -- and putting the $$ aside every month certainly doesn't hurt in the meantime!! ;) thanks again to everyone who answered -- and I'll take more input, too! :thanks:

For DH & I, it took a while. We thought about it on our first visit and everytime a WDW commercial came on t.v. we talked about going back. Our second trip, HE actually stopped and spoke to a rep. who actually told that others that we spoke with knew nothing compared to him with regards to DVC & if we weren't sure what we wanted to do right then, that he had other things he needed to do; if we weren't able to commit right then, we were probably not DVC people. But most of all he had the cahoonas to tell DH that, not knowing anything about our finances, it was fine if we couldn't afford things like that in life, not everyone could. We just turned and walked away. But we were still interested, especially since DVC is not made up of people like him.

We thought and thought, all the while every time DH found himself in the dog house, he brought up buying it.

Then one day, I had a REALLY, REALLY bad day. Spent the day before upset & crying about an upcoming exam and 4 hours after the exam crying. Between the crying spells I made the binge purchase from the car driving down the road. There was nothing left but to tell DH what I had done. All I can say is he had a really great dinner waiting when he got home. Especially since I was pulling the $$ from his account.

I have never regretted the decision to buy. Now I have an excuse to go back. He now talks more about going than I ever thought he would. I just had to promise to never, ever get that upset again. We couldn't afford it to happen too many times.
wow -- I can't believe that rep behaved that way!! I bet he didn't get too many sales... that would have really turned me off. Glad to hear you guys stuck with it!!
I had a similar situation happen with my DH and I while we were selling our house this past spring... he was really looking forward to getting it all over with, and had golf on the brain for his "I can't wait to be able to do this all I want" thing after it sold. I felt like I didn't have anything like that, and was really :( in general b/c all I'd really wanted, before we'd decided to sell our house, was to be able to get to I'cot's 10th anniversary party. So, one day while we were talking, he could tell how upset I was, and he said (in a moment of weakness), "If it means that much to you to be able to go down for the party, let's do it!" Let me tell you, that was all I needed to boost my spirits!! I'm not sure I could have pulled off a DVC purchase, though... :D

lens300
10-27-2007, 10:41 AM

Was this rep older with a bald head and his name George. Our friends had some rep say exactly the same thing. It was there last night staying with us in OKW and they thought they could get some info sent to there house but the guy did the whole if they werent ready to commit to see a salesman then they werent ready for DVC. Just thought I would let people know this isnt a onetime only Occurrence.

princessjojo
10-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Was this rep older with a bald head and his name George...... Just thought I would let people know this isnt a onetime only Occurrence.
I would guess he was 50ish, I really don't remember his name or too much about what he looked like, but he was working in DTD near the sunglass store. I just remember this much because I had broken mine, and was in there buying some more & when I came out DH was standing there talking with him. He was just really rude.

lens300
10-28-2007, 01:19 AM
Sounds like the same guy. He was in the market place. Our friends who thought it was something they would be interested in decided after that they would rethink it. It really made me mad because we had told them how great the people were and there would be no pressure. I called Disney about it and they said they would do something about it. This was in January so if it happened to you after then I guess they didnt do anything.

Horizon93
10-28-2007, 09:10 AM
DW and I had talked about it for years. DW was not completely sold on the idea. Last trip, our 19 yo DD noticed the AKV sign in World Showcase. We thought again about DVC. This was trip #14 in 14 years. We started out going every 2-3 years, but soon it became every year and then twice a year. Seeing no end in sight with this addiction and figuring how much we would likely be spending on mod and deluxe accomodations, DVC started to make even more sense. So we took the tour, and when we saw all the numbers and possibilities, and DW saw the model rooms, particularly the AKV models, she was in! Then all we had to do was to decide how many points our buy in would be.

Good luck with your decision!

TooGoofy
10-28-2007, 04:33 PM
We had been thinking about it for a while, waiting for several things to happen.

First, we were waiting for my finances to get well established. This was going to be my purchase, with my money and I wanted to make sure I was making a financially sound move.

Secondly, we wanted to buy at AKV. No where else would do.

Once the announcement about AKV was made, we decided to buy in on our July trip...and that is just what we did!

Now we are looking forward to our first trip during the holidays (Dec 13-18) and also being able to bring family and friends along with us during future trips.