PDA

View Full Version : Downtown LA to DLR?

sigmaqt95
10-22-2007, 07:49 AM
We will be arriving in LA on Thursday for a long weekend trip. We plan to go to DLR on Saturday and Sunday. Are there any safe, affordable transportation services to get us from our hotel in Downtown LA to DLR- maybe a tour bus services or something similiar to Greyline?
I have never been to LA before and am a bit nervous about getting around.
Thanks!

MegaDisney
10-22-2007, 06:02 PM
There are several companies that offer shuttle service, I have only used Super Shuttle and Primetime Shuttle (Primetime is my prefered choice.)

Another options that is fun/different is Amtrak, you can take the train from Union Station (A fantastic Art Deco Building) in Dwntn L.A. and then take the Anaheim Shuttle service from the Anahiem station to your resort. Round trip will cost less than $20.00 per person.

I hope this helps.

sigmaqt95
10-22-2007, 06:16 PM
How safe is the Anaheim shuttle service? I keep having people tell me how dangerous Anaheim is and it is making me a little nervous.

tinkwest
10-22-2007, 06:27 PM
How safe is the Anaheim shuttle service? I keep having people tell me how dangerous Anaheim is and it is making me a little nervous.

There is no reason to fear Anaheim or their shuttle service. Don't know why someone would scare you in to thinking it is dangerous. :confused:

sigmaqt95
10-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Thank you for your help so far. I called our hotel today and they weren't very helpful. They do have a shuttle package, but the hours are less than optimal and they only sell single day, single park tickets. We were going to purchase our 2 day hoppers in advance. The hotel concierge said that the two shuttles mentioned earlier were only airport shuttles???? The told me they had never heard of the Anaheim shuttle and that the the Amtrak would take me no where near the parks. HELP!!!! Our hotel is right downtown by the convention center.

As far as being told it was dangerous, I have been told by several friends from San Diego and others that have been vistors to DL that the neighborhood is not very good and at times downright scary. They all said that once you are in the parks you are fine, but it is the outside Anaheim area that is bad. I would love some clarification.

NotaGeek
10-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Ok, I am not sure what clarifications you are looking for. MegaDisney and I have both taken the train from LA Downtown to the resort. I have also taken the train from San Diego. The train station in Ananheim is located at Angel's Stadium, which is about 10 minutes from the resort by taxi. Or, there is a new bus transfer available which you can read about by going HERE (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=115319).

I have been going to Disneyland for long time. I have never felt unsafe in the area, and I have stayed both on and off property. I have walked back to my hotel long after park closing and never felt unsafe. I have had friends stay around the property and done the same (one of them a mother with her 2 younger sons!). tinkwest lives in SoCal and she also posted and felt the same. Granted, it's a big city and might not be what you are used to, but it is NOT like you are trying to spend an evening walking through the ghettos of East Los Angeles. Anaheim is one of the largest Resort oriented cities in America and at any given time there 20,000+ other people just like you walking to/from the Disneyland Resort, and the city itself is dedicated to tourist safety and comfort. If you would feel safer not walking, most every area hotel offers service (not free) by the Anaheim Resort Shuttle which arrives/departs all day long.

I have no idea what hotel you are staying at, but you can always call Gray Line Tours (http://graylineanaheim.com/sightseeing_tours.cfm/tour_id/1285/mode/tour_detail/location_id/1021) as they do offer service to/from Disney and no doubt to/from your hotel or near by. They will be a lot more expensive then taking the train for $10 and the shuttle to the park for $3 or a taxi for $18.

If you are staying overnight near the park you can purchase DLR tickets at most hotel front desks, there is normally a $10 discount on 2-day park hoppers, so buy them before you get to the park! A great option is buying your tickets ONLINE from Disneyland's Official Website (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/reserve/ticketListing?name=TicketListingPage) and using the E-ticket option and you just present the voucher at the Entrance Stalls and the Cast Member will give you your tickets.

I have no idea why people are telling you the area around Anaheim is scary, but you should seriously consider what we are all telling you here. It's safe and not scary but maybe you have a scary view of big cities? Not sure, but from what you posted you won't be out and about outside the resort area (including the streets around the resort). You'll be fine.

mttafire
10-23-2007, 02:52 PM
There is no reason to fear Anaheim or their shuttle service. Don't know why someone would scare you in to thinking it is dangerous. :confused:
Agreed 100%. Heck, I feel safe in L.A.! Some folks seem to live in a cave or something and woory needlessly all the time...Im NOT talking about the O.P.er Just the folks that tell people these things. I will say this though...If you're renting a car, Thats the easiest way to get there...Drive.

MegaDisney
10-24-2007, 01:43 PM
I understood the O.P. was staying in LA not Anaheim.

Which Hotel? The Concierge there doesn't sound like they know that they are talking about.

sigmaqt95
10-24-2007, 02:27 PM
We are staying in LA at the Wilshire Grand Hotel near the convention center. They were less than helpful when I called. The concierge also warned us of walking in Anaheim. So now, I am very confused! But, from what he has told me so far I am leaning towards not trusting what he says anyway.

We live very close to Chicago so I am used to big cities and take the El every time I am in the city- so public transportation is not the issue. However, I am just going by what I am being told by outsiders. The concierge basically told me the only way for us to get there is by town car or the shuttle service that they have- which requires you to buy a one day one park ticket and only makes one trip there and back. We are considering it but the times aren't ideal by any means.

NotaGeek
10-24-2007, 03:11 PM
We are staying in LA at the Wilshire Grand Hotel near the convention center. They were less than helpful when I called. The concierge also warned us of walking in Anaheim. So now, I am very confused! But, from what he has told me so far I am leaning towards not trusting what he says anyway.

We live very close to Chicago so I am used to big cities and take the El every time I am in the city- so public transportation is not the issue. However, I am just going by what I am being told by outsiders. The concierge basically told me the only way for us to get there is by town car or the shuttle service that they have- which requires you to buy a one day one park ticket and only makes one trip there and back. We are considering it but the times aren't ideal by any means.
In my professional opinon as somone who works in the travel industry and talks to hotel concierge staff every day it seems that this particular concierge is pushing products that might benefit him more financially then you as a traveler. Driving will give you the most liberty to come and go as you please, and if you drive in "off traffic" times from here you are staying to the DLR it would be MUCH less time than waiting on trains or shuttles. If you have worries about driving from the airport and finding your hotel there are a few car companies that will deliver a car to your hotel, and unfortunately, your concierge at the property is the answer to that request. Good luck!

EPCOT84
11-04-2007, 12:17 AM
This is too late for sigmaqt95, but as future reference for anyone else, for those comfortable taking public transportation, in Downtown Los Angeles, near the Wilshire Grand is an MTA stop where one can catch the 460 express bus line whose destination sign is "Disneyland" ! It is a freeway express bus and takes you from Downtown LA, with a few local stops, on the freeway out to Orange County and to Disneyland to a bus area just across the street from the parks on the east side. It is about an hour and half ride depending on the time of day and traffic. The fare is $2.45. There are travellers, both U.S. and foreign who have taken the 460. I'll guess some were from the Wilshire Grand. You can go to the Los Angeles MTA's website for fare and time information.

tinkwest
11-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks EPCOT84! Great info.