PDA

View Full Version : Baby attention getters for photos

Stan
10-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Hi- I just ordered yet another item in another (futile?) attempt to get babies to look my way during portrait sessions. I thought other photographers of all stripes might find my struggles interesting or funny. :rolleyes:

First problem is that my camera and flash rig pretty much covers up my face. When some of my client group is behind me, they work at getting baby's attention (boy would I like to rig a way to take video of them doing that :rotfl:), but when I'm doing the whole group it becomes my problem.

Good old eBay is where I always look for things. A couple of years ago I got a cow hat (http://www.FLmemories.com/IC/71021_01.JPG), every bit as ridiculous as it sounds. I'm not sure what it was made for (football games?), but I'd put it on top of my head, and when I'd squeeze the foot, it would moo and eyes would light up red. "The photographer has no dignity", I'd tell my clients. After a while I tired of this routine, and glued a flashing LED Tweety to the front of my flash unit... worked OK in dim light, didn't look so professional at weddings etc. :blush:

Later I got (from an Australia seller) a quacking duck (http://www.FLmemories.com/IC/71021_04.JPG) and companion mooing cow. When I know I'll be working with small children, I bring the duck and rubber-band him to the top of the flash. Squeeze him, and for about 30 seconds he quacks loudly and sweetly... usually gets the attention not only of the kids, but everyone in the general vicinity. :blush: He just goes on and on... Still, though- babies don't always look. :(

So now I'm waiting for a peek a boo Minnie Mouse (http://www.FLmemories.com/IC/71021_05.JPG). I'm hoping she's small and light enough for me to attach (velcro? rubber bands?) to the top of my flash. She plays peek a boo with her blanket.

What do you think? Will babies look at Minnie (10-15 ft away)? Will they cover their eyes to play along? :rolleyes: Will little girls do peek a boo with their dresses? :blush: :-o We'll see.

kakn7294
10-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Minnie's awfully cute but I don't know how much attention she'll attract. Babies have a poor visual range, especially the younger they are. You'd be better off with something that puts on the ultimate light show (I know, not professional at weddings!) but a man's got to do what a man's got to do! If Minnie doesn't work, maybe try one of those Buzz Lightyear or Sorcerer Mickey toys that spin around and light up that they usually sell all around the parks when it gets dark. Good luck with Minnie!

BTW Stan, GREAT photo of the Intercotee anniversary meet - too bad I couldn't be there!

Stan
10-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Hmmm... maybe I'll have to help Minnie out with some flashing LED lights (http://www.FLmemories.com/IC/71021_08.GIF) and holographic reflectors (http://www.FLmemories.com/IC/71021_06.JPG) (for sunny conditions). And maybe if I did those on my camera rig I wouldn't need Minnie? ...though she'd still help get attention of kids old enough to know who she is. ;) ...and maybe even get a smile out of a grumpy adult or 2?

Thanks for the ideas!

Flower
10-21-2007, 11:02 PM
You know, I had a really bad experience getting the kids pics done at Walmart (Come in for our $8 photo pkg and the next level up from $8 is $99 - FORGET IT!!!!)

Anyway, SORRY TO RANT!!!! :rant:

The photographer was using a plain old feather duster that you could probably buy at a dollar store, or well, Walmart. It was great, she would tickle Ben with it and then slowly pull it up and away from him so he was looking where she wanted him too - I meant to pick one up and still have yet to do it.

Good luck with your new Minnie!!! I really think the duck is quite cute though!!!

DisneyDog
10-22-2007, 11:27 AM
When my DS, now 5, was about 6 months old, I took him to Walmart for photographs. That was down in SW Florida. They also used the feather duster there. Every photo turned out perfectly and gorgeous! Of course, I spent an absolute fortune, but I guess it was worth it. Ha ha.

mjaclyn
10-22-2007, 01:57 PM
I used to work at the Picture People and always used the feather duster or 'tickle stick' as I called it. I'd also make a lot of noise or clap my hands to get the attention of younger children. It worked great for me! (most of the time) :)

Stan
10-22-2007, 11:22 PM
Come in for our $8 photo pkg and the next level up from $8 is $99

I try to avoid that kind of stuff since I don't like it myself. :mad:

a plain old feather duster... I really think the duck is quite cute though!!!

Sounds interesting, but I'd need my camera to be on a tripod (too limiting) or one handed (mine isn't though it's lighter than a DSLR) so I'd have a hand free. Cute & cheap idea though. :) The duck is cute & makes adults laugh and quack. :mickey:

I spent an absolute fortune, but I guess it was worth it

Many's the time I've walked past a family & thought, "Man, if there was just some way for me to show them right now the portraits I could make for them, they'd be happy to pay my prices and then some". Of course, the family probably wondered why's that guy looking at us? :blush:

Minnie came in the mail today. She's not new but in pretty good shape and was inexpensive (never call MM cheap :D). She's a tad dense (don't call her heavy either) for the top of my camera but I think she'll do fine. With a few spangles and blinkies (maybe the flashing blue innards of the lanyard I got last Sat nite?) she'll be even more irresistable than usual. I may have trouble getting her away from the kids. ;) When I have her all set I'll show you a photo.

Flower
10-23-2007, 09:48 AM
I did not realize you don't shoot with a tripod - yes, that makes the difference!

Just wondering, would the blue flashing not interfere with the shot?

Just thinking too, you could always get the feather duster (The long handled type) and show the parents how it works and get them to assist you - just make sure you explain that they need to be away from the shot! Even if you just used it for a few pics.

What do you shoot with?

There is more to the Walmart story - I was completely NOT impressed with them for various other reasons too, LONG.....

Stan
10-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Blue flashing would not matter especially out of frame.
Mostly I need help when client's entire group is in photo so it's up to me to get child's attention.
I use a Sony DSC-R1 (now discontinued)- a unique combination of EVF, fabulous zoom lens, and APS sized sensor. Before that I used a Sony DSC-F828, prior to that a Sony DSC-F717.