PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Sickness, Help!

pink
10-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Hey everyone! Last night I was on the computer working on a project when all of a sudden I got really dizzy, I started shaking, and I felt that I was going to :sick:. Not the greatest feeling. So I sat in bed waiting for hours and nothing happened. But you just know that feeling when you're going to be sick. I woke up this morning still feeling queasy, but not as much as the night before. However, when I drove to work this morning the naseau came back but nothing happened!
My boyfriend has been complaining of his glands being swollen and his mother thinks he might be getting mono, as he had it once before. So now I'm worried I might get it also. We didn't get any blood tests done yet but I plan to.
Does anyone know if extreme nausea is a syptom of mono or any other sickness?

Thank you so much!
:mickey:

disneydeb
10-21-2007, 03:46 PM
When Amy had mono she was just way tired and fatigued all the time. Generally sore throatbut not nauseous. I hope you feel better soon!

Ian
10-21-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm not aware of extreme nausea as a symptom of mono, but we're really not the ones to be telling you.

You're doing the right thing by seeing your doctor and getting a blood test.

BronxTigger
10-21-2007, 03:52 PM
I see you're from NY, is that city or state?

That thing you describe is making its way around town here in the Bronx. I was sick like that for about 2 weeks, but I never did make it in to a doctor. It went away one its own; it was pretty bad for a week then tapered off by the end of the 2nd.

I had headaches, I was really tired, I would have dizzy spells and like you I would have times when I thought I would throw up but I never did. I also had a dull ache in my tummy area on and off throughout the time I was sick, and I also got shaky sometimes too. Maybe it's the same thing I had?

pink
10-21-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm from Long Island. That interesting, I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this. I guess I'm just going to have to wait it out. Thanks everybody! :mickey:

SBETigg
10-21-2007, 04:42 PM
It could be low iron in your blood. If it persists, you should see a doctor to find out if you should start iron supplements. The only time I felt quite like that, I was pregnant. But maybe it's just a touch of flu.

mickey&missy
10-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Sounds a lot like what went around our house recently! If it is the samething is a mystery virus. You'll feel yucky for a week or so and then start to get better.

If its not the samething it may be an ear infection or fluid behind your ear drums. My kids dr told me that a lot of time when you have and ear infection you get nauseous. I get extremely dizzy when I get a sinus infection and end up with fluid behind my ears! Its terrible!!

In any case, feel better!

MNNHFLTX
10-21-2007, 04:58 PM
With such a sudden onset of symptoms, I would doubt that it was an infection of some sort, unless you had been having other symptoms prior to the ones you mention. I have heard of people experiencing motion sickness symptoms with longterm use of their computers, sort of a version of eye strain. Or maybe it could even have been low blood sugar. If it is viral related, it definitely does not sound like mono, but like something associated with the inner ear.

It's good that you'll be seeing your doctor, so that you hopefully find a cause for your distress.

DDBird
10-21-2007, 05:02 PM
We are all the way in Bermuda and that weird sickness has been going around. DD went to bed fine on night and woke up vomitting the next morning. DH and myself got it also....think it is the 'bug of the month':)
Hope you both feel better soon.
P.S. DS had it also with the swollen glands.

pink
10-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Hey everybody thanks for your responses!

That night after work I felt so much better. I think the work distracting me from thinking about it. So I didn't even go to the doctor because I felt 100% better.

Also, someone said they feel like that when they have a sinus headache. Lately, I get a sinus headache about every other day. So that could definitley be it. I just didn't think of it.

Thanks again!

DisneyDudet
10-28-2007, 01:53 AM
Hey everybody thanks for your responses!

That night after work I felt so much better. I think the work distracting me from thinking about it. So I didn't even go to the doctor because I felt 100% better.

Also, someone said they feel like that when they have a sinus headache. Lately, I get a sinus headache about every other day. So that could definitley be it. I just didn't think of it.

Thanks again!

I had some bouts with dizziness while looking at the computer about a week ago, then developed a really bad cold, with nausea (from swallowing drainage....I know.. glamorous). If you have been feeling like you are having a sinus headache, maybe you are working on a cold. The fact that you have felt better, is a good indication that it is not bacterial. I have had this issue for a few weeks now, and I'm starting to shake it, after lots of rest.

If it is, indeed, an inner ear problem like Vertigo or Meniere's Disease, you should see an ENT. This is a disruption in a fluid in the inner ear, that triggers your brain to know how you are standing, lying, etc. It is what makes you aware of yourself. Hard to explain. But if there is a disruption in this fluid, it causes you to become disoriented, and usually dizzy. My grandmother has this, and when she was first diagnosed, she had a bad case. But now has fast acting drugs she keeps with her, if it starts to act up.

My guess is you are working on a cold or similar virus. If you do not feel better in a week, I would then go to an MD, as it could progress into a sinus infection. I say give it a week, since antibiotics do nothing to improve a viral infection. Also, if you start to have muscle aches and a fever, go to the dr. Muscle aches usually indicate the flu, and you can get anti virals that can ward off or lessen the symptoms and length of the flu, but only if taken in the first 48 hours of symptom onset.

Ok... sorry for my nurse rant!

As always, wash your hands!

Oh, and, hope you feel better soon!

Cinderelley
10-29-2007, 09:10 PM
To answer your original question, yes, an upset stomach can be a symptom of mono.