PDA

View Full Version : More evidence that Disney prices are ok

JohnnyJayhawk
10-21-2007, 12:38 PM
I've posted my thoughts before on my belief that Disney dining prices are actually cheaper than many other entertainment venues (other theme parks specifically), with larger portions and much higher quality.

See: http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=78939

After a visit to Ringling Bros. yesterday, I was reminded of that prior discussion. Not only is Disney dining a better value than that of other events/destinations, but the dollar to enjoyment ratio is much greater as well. At the circus, I dropped $30 per person for a two hour show, $7 per box of popcorn, and $10 (yes ten) per bag of cotton candy. I resisted the pleas from my 5 year old for a lighted-spinny-thingy as they were $20.

Again, Disney isn't cheap, but dollar for dollar has got to be one of the best values in family entertainment/vacationing.

kbean
10-21-2007, 12:50 PM
I agree. I circus cancharge that because it's a one time thing. But when you visit Disney, it's for a few days usually, so they have to make their prices affordable.

PrincessASquared
10-21-2007, 12:53 PM
the dollar to enjoyment ratio is much greater as well.

I could not agree more!!:thumbsup:

mttafire
10-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Yep, I agree 100%. Disney to me, Is in NO way too expensive at all. Not even close. (Absolutely the BEST dollar for dollar vacation value.)
Folks are traveling ALOT the past several years. Disney like Vegas have enjoyed attendence fiqures go up-up-up. Folks have money to spend and im happy that Disney is one of their choices!!

Speedy1998
10-21-2007, 02:58 PM
I run into a similar problem here, there is a place near me called Moody Gardens, (it is a planetary, tropical rain forest, aquarium, and a IMAX theater). We talked about going to it just once. When we called up to find out how much it cost we discovered it was $30 per person not including the IMAX tickets.

Ian
10-21-2007, 03:27 PM
I couldn't agree more. If you put the prices for a Walt Disney World vacation up against just about any other recreation or leisure activity or any other vacation destination, it's going to come out on top or equal.

It's just fashionable to complain that Disney charges too much. It's actually not true.

I mean would you rather drop $125 a person for a 3 hour football game or $75 a person for an entire day in Magic Kingdom? $250 a seat to see The Police from the front row or $75 a person to wander around Epcot all day?

No brainer ...

kakn7294
10-21-2007, 04:46 PM
I still think that Disney charges far too much. Yes, the quality is good and you get a good amount of food for your money in most cases, but it's still a budget buster for some of us. I mean, geez, I've got to save for months just to be able to eat for a week! That's nuts! However, in comparsion to other parks and such that I have been to, when you compare food quality and costs, Disney does come out on top.

mickey&missy
10-21-2007, 05:01 PM
You are sooo right!! Its just the fact that when at WDW its stretched out over a week or so. So, when all is said and done its seem very expensive!

Having taken our kids to events such as Ringling Brothers (BTW, the one we saw was terrible and was NOT worth the price) I would much rather spend my $$ at WDW!

mttafire
10-21-2007, 05:02 PM
This topic gets brought up quite a bit. As stated earlier i feel that Disney is a VERY good value. We are about as middle class as you can get. We travel to Disney with relative ease every 2-3 years. However, Some folks can only afford to goto Disney once every 5 years or even once a lifetime and some will NEVER be able to go...Thats OK. We would love to goto Hawai'i but we will probably just go as a retirement gift to me when i retire from the fire service. It simply cost to much.Disney doesnt have to be affordable to everyone. Besides, If i cant afford something, It's MY responsibility. I chose firefighting as a livelyhood. Because of this some things may not be in reach. Bottom line... A Disney vacation is a great value.:mickey::thumbsup: Regards, Shawn

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-21-2007, 05:05 PM
DH & I have had this discussion a couple of times, and although we agree that Disney is expensive, it isn't outrageous, and to us, it is worth every penny.

Although we have to save to take a trip, we never feel like we've been ripped-off, and always decide that we've had good value for our $$.

Last night, we went on a date night to the OMNIMAX, it was $25 for two of us to see a 45-minute movie...and then dinner...amazing how it adds up so quickly, no matter what you do!

tinksmom02
10-21-2007, 08:13 PM
We live only about a half hour away from 6Flags Great Adventure, but I will only go there once a season. We even get free passes, b/c mom-in-law works there, but for me, once is more than enough. We had to pay FIFTEEN dollars to park!! I think we dropped around $30 for a Nathan's lunch of hot dogs and fries. It's so crowded, and not exactly clean. I'd much rather take my money to the boardwalk. Cheaper to park there, too.

To me, 6 Flags is only worth a visit once a year, even with free passes. WDW, on the other hand, LOL is much further away but I managed to get us there for 2 trips this year! Think you all know where I'd rather spend my money!!

MushuMulan
10-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Disney is definately not cheap, but compared to some things out there it has some very good prices. Sure, the prices have gone up over the years, but so has the demand for tickets gone up.

Even with having to pay more employees, pay for more accomidations, and resources, Disney still manages to keep its price relatively managable for all that it gives.

wdw_bound
10-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Here's our comparison. We went to Atlanta for DD's birthday to attend the grand opening of the American Girl store.We got there Friday evening and left mid-morning on Sunday. Got a good deal on the hotel (CTYD) that included free breakfast. Ate Two suppers and had lunch at the American Girl Bistro (including birthday cake) Also visited the Aquarium. Not including the American Girl Doll and dresses (DD used birthday money for some of this), we still spent over $600. While we loved every minute of the trip, I was very surprised when DH (who is not as nuts about WDW as the rest of us) turned to me and said, "You know, we'd have gotten more for our money at Disney."

We have always said, it's not cheap, but you never feel ripped off. I can't say the same at many, many other attractions.

texasteacher
10-21-2007, 09:41 PM
I've posted my thoughts before on my belief that Disney dining prices are actually cheaper than many other entertainment venues (other theme parks specifically), with larger portions and much higher quality.

See: http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=78939

After a visit to Ringling Bros. yesterday, I was reminded of that prior discussion. Not only is Disney dining a better value than that of other events/destinations, but the dollar to enjoyment ratio is much greater as well. At the circus, I dropped $30 per person for a two hour show, $7 per box of popcorn, and $10 (yes ten) per bag of cotton candy. I resisted the pleas from my 5 year old for a lighted-spinny-thingy as they were $20.

Again, Disney isn't cheap, but dollar for dollar has got to be one of the best values in family entertainment/vacationing.

I agree that Disney is a bargain. We used to have Astroworld here in Houston and I always felt ripped off. It was expensive, dirty, and the food was poor quality and small portions. Disneyworld is worth every penny spent!

MarkC
10-21-2007, 09:42 PM
disclaimer-- the post below is in no way meant to be a political statement of any kind.

It's the good old laws of supply and demand. I wish I could remember back to my economics class 25 years ago what the curve is called. Basically, if they charge to much people will stay away and they will lose money. If they charge too little, too many people will go and the parks will be so crowded that no one will have a good time and they won't return, or they'll complain, etc. So their is some method to their madness, but remember in this capitalist society we can vote with our checkbook or with our absence. My guess is most of us on here vote with our checkbook-- or in my case a Disney Visa.

DessertDivaFL
10-21-2007, 09:47 PM
This is a great topic. In short, I think Disney is a great value when you take advantage of their special discounts, eat free specials, etc. If I didn't get the FL resident specials I would not be able to afford it as I am a single parent.

We also have the luxury of being able to go to DTD if we just want to get a little "magic" and not have to pay any admission to any parks. All it costs is the gas (1 tank), food and a couple purchases from the stores and we have a fantastic day!

IloveDisney71
10-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Disney can quickly eat up your cash but so can other tourist areas/attractions. I don't think Disney is cheaper than other amusement parks but I think it is equal in price. Any tourist places I've ever gone have been more expensive than prices at home.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-22-2007, 01:08 AM
It's the good old laws of supply and demand. I wish I could remember back to my economics class 25 years ago what the curve is called.

You mean the supply and demand curve? Cause that's what my macroeconomic professor calls it. And you are right about the concept. That's how all things work.

I compare Disney to Universal since I work at one and have a seasonal pass to the other. Universal says it's cheaper for a 2 day ticket there than a one day park hopper at Disney. Yes, it is. Why? Universal has 2 parks, Disney has 4. So you actually don't have as good of a value there.

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, it was $13-15 to park at Universal. Disney is $11.

Burger at Universal $9, Disney $7. Coke at Universal $3, Disney $2.

My family isn't the greatest and it's technically a single parent family and my mother is self employed so she scrapes by. But even we manage to save money for a trip to Disney by watching where we spent money. And it's even better now that I work here.

I think it's good that Disney isn't affordable to everyone and yet I know it really wasn't what Walt wanted it to be. I just think it would be abused if it was easy for everyone to go to (and I'm thinking of several people back home who I'm glad to say could never get here - trust me on this).

merlinmagic4
10-22-2007, 05:18 AM
I mean would you rather drop $125 a person for a 3 hour football game or $75 a person for an entire day in Magic Kingdom? $250 a seat to see The Police from the front row or $75 a person to wander around Epcot all day?

No brainer ...

It's even better when you plan ahead, purchase 10 day no expiration passes with the water park option, and pay just over 20.00 per day per person for all that park time! Now that's a bargain! Plus when you use them for multiple trips you protect yourself against inevitable price increases. :D

BMan62
10-22-2007, 10:02 AM
It's even better when you plan ahead, purchase 10 day no expiration passes with the water park option, and pay just over 20.00 per day per person for all that park time! Now that's a bargain! Plus when you use them for multiple trips you protect yourself against inevitable price increases. :D

I'm not sure where you got your numbers, but 10 day No Exp. w/Water Park Fun & More is $455, or $45.40 /day. 10 day base tickets - no options - is $225, or $22.50/day.

In any event, the price of a WDW park ticket is a good deal, in my estimation, just for the stress relief once or twice a year. A heck of a lot cheaper than going to a therapist!!!;)

brownie
10-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Disney really is a good value, it just seems like a lot to spend. You need to look at what you are getting for what you spend.

TheRustyScupper
10-22-2007, 10:38 AM
. . . I've posted my thoughts before on my belief that Disney dining prices are actually cheaper than many other entertainment venues . . .

1) I think your thoughts were in the right place.
2) However, the numbers are not comparable.
3) At least not for this analysis.

4) Admission
. . . single performance circus = $30
. . . single admission WDW Hopper = $123
5) Popcorn
. . . circus = $7
. . . WDW = $3.50
6) Twirly Thingies
. . . circus = $20
. . . WDW = $15

7) One needs to draw a difference between a show and a park.
8) In either event, WDW is still pretty expensive.
9) Plus, they are making HUGE profits and are not cutting guests a break.
10) I still like WDw and go to it, but I am realistic about the pricing.

NOTE: Most of us can well afford to go to WDW, and some more than once per year. However, let us not forget the huge number of people that simply cannot afford $2,500-$4,500 per week, incl transportation, for WDW. WDW raises its prices 8%-12% per year for tickets/resorts, and $10-15% for merchandise. That rivals the increases of colleges, both of which are way out of sync with the cost of living.

MickeyandTink
10-22-2007, 11:29 AM
1NOTE: Most of us can well afford to go to WDW, and some more than once per year. However, let us not forget the huge number of people that simply cannot afford $2,500-$4,500 per week, incl transportation, for WDW. WDW raises its prices 8%-12% per year for tickets/resorts, and $10-15% for merchandise. That rivals the increases of colleges, both of which are way out of sync with the cost of living.

I'm with the Scupper on this one. Our trip last month for a week for two adults and one child ran about $2200, not including souveneirs. That's staying a value resort and using free dining. If we had stayed a deluxe resort it would have easily run double that. It's nice to say it's a better deal (per day) than front row tickets to a big concert or great seats to a big game, but you usually can get reasonably priced seats to almost any event that can put the per day cost lower. Plus, the total cost is much, much less and for some people a few hundred dollars is all they can afford.

I do love Disney and will go there as often as practicable, but not if they continue double digit price increases.

JohnnyJayhawk
10-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Me no math so good but...

Circus: $30 for 2 hour show = $15 per hour.

Disney: $123 for 12 hours in parks = $10.25 per hour.

The numbers get even better for Disney if you don't use the single day pass price (which I'm sure most don't). For example, use the 5 day base plus hopping and you get to $4.55 per hour.

Obviously you can't just look at it on an hourly basis, however. It's still a big expense to go to Disney because of transportation and hotel.

Again, no one said it was cheap, just cheaper than many other sources of family entertainment, and most certainly a better value for what you get.

bleukarma
10-22-2007, 12:11 PM
I agree that Disney isn't cheap, but compared to other parks it's worth the money. I live 15 minutes from Busch Gardens and I would rather drive 45 minutes to WDW. I try to go to Disney at least twice a year. I couldn't tell you the last time I went to Busch Gardens. It's just not worth the extra money like Disney is.

kbean
10-22-2007, 12:40 PM
I read on some about how some most save up for a week just to eat at Disney. I think the magority of people have to save regardless. That's why it's vacation. Even though I live here in Fl, I still save for just a day trip. But Disney still comes out buck for buck even for a day trip.

merlinmagic4
10-22-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm not sure where you got your numbers, but 10 day No Exp. w/Water Park Fun & More is $455, or $45.40 /day. 10 day base tickets - no options - is $225, or $22.50/day.

In any event, the price of a WDW park ticket is a good deal, in my estimation, just for the stress relief once or twice a year. A heck of a lot cheaper than going to a therapist!!!;)

Oh, sorry, I don't have the actual figures but when I bought 10 day "plus" passes in 2005 our daily price was just over 20.00 per day (for 15 admissions). I counted the five water park days as admissions because they are a whole day for us. Sorry if I confused you :)

Rough math: less than 1700.00 for 5 10 day/5 plus passes = about 22.00 per day (for 15 days).

AbeeNormal
10-22-2007, 07:01 PM
I wouldn't say Disney is a inexpensive..... :mickey:

However I am going on a 7 day Land & Sea trip to WDW for half of what it would have cost for my family of four to go to Hawaii...... :captain:

So to me that's value. ( & FUN ):mickey3::minnie:

MickeyandTink
10-22-2007, 07:18 PM
Oh, sorry, I don't have the actual figures but when I bought 10 day "plus" passes in 2005 our daily price was just over 20.00 per day (for 15 admissions). I counted the five water park days as admissions because they are a whole day for us. Sorry if I confused you :)

Rough math: less than 1700.00 for 5 10 day/5 plus passes = about 22.00 per day (for 15 days).

Your numbers back up mine and the Scupper's previous point. It's not that WDW is outrageously expensive now (it's not). It's that with the dramatic ticket price increases over the last couple of years, it's heading that way fast.

A current 10 day, no expiration pass with water park option is $455 ($500 if you add park hopper). Even using the one without park hopper and figuring 15 visits, that's still over $30/day which is over a 36% increase in just two years. Another couple of years of those kind of increases and we'll be going to Hawaii instead because it is cheaper.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-23-2007, 03:53 AM
Hmmm....$500 for a 10 day, park hopper, water park, no expiration pass....

Or...$579 for 365 days, park hopper, water parks, pleasure island, annual pass that will also give you exclusive merchandise, discounts on food and beverage locations, and resorts.

If I wasn't working here, I know what I would pick. Even if you come twice in a year, you'd have a better value with the annual pass. Or even, every 11.5 months, you'd get the value. Granted yes, the annual pass will expire within a year from the purchase date but the 10 day will also run out eventually as well.

I don't know, it just seems like a better value to get an annual premium pass. I've always had a pass to Disney, although I got seasonal (too hot in summer).

merlinmagic4
10-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Your numbers back up mine and the Scupper's previous point. It's not that WDW is outrageously expensive now (it's not). It's that with the dramatic ticket price increases over the last couple of years, it's heading that way fast.

I agree. We won't need new passes until 2009 but I am planning on buying them ASAP just for that reason!

Imagineer1981
10-23-2007, 10:39 AM
biggest thing to remember, you are paying for memories and the experience...not many kids look back and say "Hey mom/dad, remember that awesome vacation we took to Six Flags"

EJS-Houston
10-23-2007, 11:44 AM
I run into a similar problem here, there is a place near me called Moody Gardens, (it is a planetary, tropical rain forest, aquarium, and a IMAX theater). We talked about going to it just once. When we called up to find out how much it cost we discovered it was $30 per person not including the IMAX tickets.

I'm right with 'ya, Speedy! Moody Gardens is nice as far as it goes...but in terms of quality (and in terms of quantity...that is...the numbers of attractions to visit) there's no comparison. WDW in unapproachable.

crazeedizneefinatic
10-23-2007, 12:28 PM
I agree that Disney prices are not too far out of line (not yet anyway). We just visited from September 21-30th stayed at CBR which is a moderate and had the free dining. Cost per person was $650 for 10 days with an 8 day park hopper! Of course that did not include airfare but at $135 roundtrip on Southwest it sure was not that much more expensive. Yes we had free dining but if you need to watch the bucks you need to look for specials. Disney on a budget is possible. It does take some work to look out for deals and specials but it can be done. I have gone places such as the beach for 5-7 days and spent much much more and did not have something to do 12 hours a day. I think alot of people think Disney is expensive because maybe they just don't look for specials or travel during off peak months or maybe any vacation is just not in their budget.

#1donaldfan
10-23-2007, 12:31 PM
I've said that for a long time now.....so, the price is right, however sometimes a little hard to come up with.....

goofysbabe
10-23-2007, 12:37 PM
You know I have to agree too! My friends keep telling me how expensive Disney is - how can you go it's just to much money. I look at going to other amusement parks, the fair, the circus any sporting event and I think I spend more there in one shot than I do at Disney. I look at the whole picture - you know food, room, tickets and the pleasure we get from it and I just think we come out ahead when we go. I also look at how many peoples wages my vacation is paying for. Disney employes alot! And without those people my trip would not be so nice! Some of the events I go to have way less employees, but they want to charge way more. To me Disney is a better value!!!

pdrlkr
10-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Me no math so good but...

Circus: $30 for 2 hour show = $15 per hour.

Disney: $123 for 12 hours in parks = $10.25 per hour.

The numbers get even better for Disney if you don't use the single day pass price (which I'm sure most don't). For example, use the 5 day base plus hopping and you get to $4.55 per hour.

Sorry Rusty, but Disney is a better value. By the way he said it wasn't cheap just not as bad as some other things. :thumbsup:

Dsnygirl
10-23-2007, 08:59 PM
:mickey: I totally agree... we have a Six Flags amusement park near us, and a couple of water parks. To go to any of them for the day, it's at least $80 -$100 for our family, not to mention the food and parking. And that's for one 6-8 hr. day! Add the cost of gas for a 3 hr trip, and you've easily spent over $175 for a few rides and a couple of water slides. Not that it isn't enjoyable, but when we go to Disney, even if it's only a 4-day trip, we spend not quite $200/day to visit 4 parks and get 12-14 hrs of entertainment, non-stop!! Plus, just the feeling you come away with... that's worth the price of admission regardless, in my book.... :cloud9:

DisneyDudet
10-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Ok, my $5.79 hot dog meal fills me up more and tastes a WHOLE lot better than a $4.59 Big Mac Meal at McDonlad's. Same with the chicken strips. It takes two of us to eat one basket of those!

I agree that Disney is the best value. When you look at numbers, that may not always be the case. Now, I'm a numbers freak, and a former math major, but, the numbers are not always constant and aren't always right in this case.

A lot of the "value" people speak of, is relative. I am pretty sure that $1600 min for a trip, in a value, might be VERY expensive to one, might be chump change to another. That will change your value. The experience one has at a certain place will also change the value.

Now, one of the most expensive vacations I've ever been on was my 7 night DCL cruise. Some may never make enough to go on a trip like that, so I consider myself lucky. It was by far the best vacation I have ever had. So, was there a value there? Only the greatest. But that is me. Ask another person on that same vacation, they may tell you otherwise.

You simply cannot rely on numbers when you consider "value" of food or vacation.

So, in my book, Disney as a whole, is expensive, but invaluable.