PDA

View Full Version : Kiosk Lines at F & W Festival

JohnnyJayhawk
10-21-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm seeing a lot of comments about long lines at the kiosks this year. Is this something different from prior years? I've never found the lines to be too bad, I think the worst I've seen is about 8 or 10 people deep and it's usually more like 3 o 4.

Do the usual crowd-avoidance techniques (don't go on weekends, etc.) still apply, or is it just impossible to avoid the lines this time?

Either way, we'll be there in two weeks and we can't wait!

TheRustyScupper
10-21-2007, 12:04 PM
1) During the week, expect 3-10 people in *most* lines.
2) On weekends, we don't even speculate - other than saying mobbed.
3) Even with 10-people in line, it could take a while.
4) Figure 2-4 minutes per person, average
5) People on DDP take longer than cash/credit.
6) They just don't seem to get it, and ask many questions.
7) This is even when their food is selected ahead of time.

NOTE: As a reference, we were watching closely at Poland.
. . . selections were made ahead of time with color-cards
. . . cash sales lasted about 1 to 1-1/2 minutes
. . . DDP sales took almost 2 to 3 minutes
. . . thus, 10-DDP-people could be up to 30-minutes

luvdiznee
10-21-2007, 12:08 PM
We must have gotten lucky or maybe it was because we went on the first day. The lines were not bad. Although Italy did have the longest lines when we went back for the second time :secret: but they did have 2 lines. And using the snacks on the DP worked out great for us. :mickey:

BugeyedMuggy
10-21-2007, 12:08 PM
We also found if you get there at opening go to the back (about France and get a red coctail) the lines there are more doable because everyone starts at the beginning. Tho it is very difficult to go past all those booths.

Polynesian Dweller
10-21-2007, 01:11 PM
We found that the lines took longer to get through even though they might have 4-6 people. The Rustyscupper gives some good info about the time for a transaction. The DDP have to be processed through the wireless system and this seems to take some time for the system to respond.

But we noticed, is that people stood at the menu boards longer and asked more questions of the CMs takiong orders. This seemed to have a lot to do with the fact that there were no display plates around. You used to be able to look at a display plate and have a good idea of what appealed to you. Now you had to try and figure that out by looking at what was served, asking what it was, or getting a CM to tell you what each menu item was. That really slowed folks down and happened in every line.

So, I'd say it seemed to be less about the number of people in line than the time it took to process them through the line due to these kinds of things. Hope they go back to the display plates next year.

mickey-mouse35
10-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Do they have cash only lines or does everyone stand in one line? We're not on dining plan... :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
10-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Do they have cash only lines or does everyone stand in one line? We're not on dining plan... :mickey:Sorry, it's one line for everyone, no matter the form of payment.

When we were there last weekend for the anniversary meet, the World Showcase was mobbed and the lines were very long from late afternoon into the evening. I have to say that I have never seen it so crowded there. Perhaps it would be better on weekdays, though.

McGoofy
10-21-2007, 05:16 PM
But we noticed, is that people stood at the menu boards longer and asked more questions of the CMs takiong orders. This seemed to have a lot to do with the fact that there were no display plates around. You used to be able to look at a display plate and have a good idea of what appealed to you. Now you had to try and figure that out by looking at what was served, asking what it was, or getting a CM to tell you what each menu item was. That really slowed folks down and happened in every line.

No display plates? That's a bummer! That's how I've always decided whether or not I wanted to stand in a line or not. I hope they go back to that next year as well.

I will be there this time next week!!!! Can't wait!!

TheRustyScupper
10-22-2007, 11:25 AM
. . . No display plates? That's a bummer! That's how I've always decided whether or not I wanted to stand in a line or not . .

1) But,
. . . think of the excitement
. . . think of the wonder
. . . think of the anticipation
. . . think of the bewilderment
2) And,
. . . see who wins the "Name the Mystery Meat" contest

NOTE: I agree, that I would have like to see what I ws ordering, However, from WDW's viewpoint, having a display plate can turn someone off and they would not order.

McGoofy
10-22-2007, 12:02 PM
1) But,
. . . think of the excitement
. . . think of the wonder
. . . think of the anticipation
. . . think of the bewilderment
2) And,
. . . see who wins the "Name the Mystery Meat" contest

NOTE: I agree, that I would have like to see what I ws ordering, However, from WDW's viewpoint, having a display plate can turn someone off and they would not order.

As much fun as "name the mystery meat" game would be with a bunch of drunk people, WDW may want to consider bringing the display plates back. Think about it...some of the names of the food turn me off more than the visual. Sometimes after I see it, I think, "oh it's not as bad as it sounds." "Oh...that's what that mystery name is...maybe I will stand in line and order it since it looks so good!!":mickey:

However...I nothing can stop me now....I will be at the F&W Festival next Monday...a week from today...checking out all of the mystery meats!!! Yes, the excitement, wonder, and anticipation is building up. The bewilderment will be when I get there and read the titles and am trying to figure out what it is without the display plates!:confused::D

DNS
10-22-2007, 12:45 PM
We were there a couple of weeks ago and some lines were very long, others short. I do remember the line for Ireland was very long when we were there. There had to be 15 to 20 people ahead of us. The lines seem to move fast though.