PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone traveled to Disney while pregnant? I need some tips!

ljv1975
10-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Hi, I will be 5 or 6 months pregnant when we travel depending on the dates we choose. We will be taking our 2 year old daughter for one last trip before the baby arrives.
I know at some theme parks if you're pregnant you can't ride anything - is there anything at Disney that I will be able to ride with my daughter?
The DH gets pretty bad motion sickness on most rides, so I hate to make him ride everything, and I would really love to share some of the experiences with my daughter.
Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!:mickey:

caryrae
10-21-2007, 11:14 AM
:welcome:

You can check this out http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/rideheight.asp, it tells what rides expectant mothers should not ride. We went one year when my SIL was pregnant and one thing about Disney is there is more rides you can ride them not ride when pregnant.

If you look at the list from the link you notice how small the list is for what not to ride at each park.

JohnnyJayhawk
10-21-2007, 11:29 AM
We've been a couple of times when DW was pregnant. Everything said above is correct, there are still plenty of rides you can do. In fact, I would guess that anything a pregnant person should skip, a two year old should skip too.

CAS
10-21-2007, 12:00 PM
We've been a couple of times when DW was pregnant. Everything said above is correct, there are still plenty of rides you can do. In fact, I would guess that anything a pregnant person should skip, a two year old should skip too.

That's an excellent point. I'd agree. We went with our 2 yr old and some friends (one of who'm was 8 months pregnant) and we didn't even really notice the fact that we were limited somewhat. :thumbsup:

Speedy1998
10-21-2007, 12:11 PM
DW went twice while pregneat my 2 recommendations would be 1. make sure not to push yourself to much. 2. Consider renting a wheel chair or ECV, this will make it much more likely that you will make it through the entire day with your family.

teambricker04
10-21-2007, 09:50 PM
I just read a similar thread somewhere else... So I may repeat myself :)

We had our second DS this year, we took our oldest to WDW last Christmas time for one last trip before his brother came... he was nearly two at the time.

I agree with the statement that there isn't anything that a two year old can be on that a pregnant woman shouldn't. Just stay away from big thrills.

Just be careful in big crowds (example: like at a tree lighting at christmas time or leaving a packed event like fantasmic). Most people are so concerned with getting out or what not that they don't really pay attention to anyone around them, let alone someones belly. It always made me nervous.

I never had issues walking around. Just take your time and take a lot of breaks. Generally, a two year old needs them any way.

prprincess
10-21-2007, 09:55 PM
I went 4 years ago when I was about 5 months along in my pregnancy. I spoke to my doctor about it, and she actually said that Disney coasters are so tame that I could ride them. Not that I listened to her, though!!! But like an above poster said, there's a list out there and it's super short. I actually didn't feel like I missed out on much during that trip. So just remember to stay hydrated, rest when you start to feel tired, and enjoy!!

Here we go again...
10-21-2007, 10:16 PM
My DD was 5 months pregnant when we went one year. Like the others have said, avoid thrill rides. Anything that does not have big drops (splash mountain) or too bumpy (Big Thunder mountain RR) should be okay. There are many rides that have warnings that we questioned. One of those was the Safari... We could not understand what would make that a ride that a pregnant person should avoid. The CM said that the truck goes over some bumps so they are just being cautious. My DD chose to ride the Safari... she just sat in the middle.

I would worry more about the heat. My dd had a meltdown in the middle of Epcot. The heat and the crowd got to her. Take some time in the heat of the day to go enjoy a nap with your DD. :mickey:

mulderxcoltrane
10-21-2007, 10:30 PM
We are going to Disney World in December and I will be 5 months pregnant. We too wanted to get in one last visit with our son(he'll turn 2 on the trip) before the baby is born. I haven't found too much that I won't be able to do. Obviously the big "thrill" rides are out, but there are so many other things to do, I don't feel like I'll be missing out on too much. I'm actually looking forward to doing some of the things that we tend to end up skipping in favor of the bigger rides. We sometimes miss a lot of the shows and I'm excited to get to see them this trip!

LilBugsMa
10-22-2007, 08:32 AM
We just returned from a "last trip with our 4 yr old before the baby comes" vacation at Disney. I was 6 months pregnant.

I got and ECV at Epcot - couldn't have done World Showcase without it. We had planned to do Epcot in the middle of vacation, with a wheelchair so that there would be a day's rest for me.

We picked our resort based on wanting to go to Epcot and MK with my daughter, to limit transportation time so I could take a break if needed - which, due to heat, usually was. I found that an afternoon dip in the pool helped greatly - both with fatigue (got baby's weight off my back) and heat.

There was plenty of stuff for me to ride and do, so I wouldn't worry about not getting to do things with your 2 yr old. The only things that I can think of off the top of my head that would be bad for hubby's motion sickness and that you couldn't ride are the Barnstormer and Tea Cups.

As a previous poster said - be careful in crowds - like after evening shows. My baby is all out in front - people who asked me when the baby was due expected an "any minute now answer..." Still, I had lots of problems with people running into me, and was almost knocked over once (with my balance being off, and due to how hard I was bumped in to). We decided to either skip shows, or to wait and relax until after the crowds had cleared before leaving. People did not notice or care that they were running into people.

We still had a great trip - and I'm glad I took kiddo on a "spoil me before my little sis arrives" vacation....

diz_girl
10-22-2007, 10:18 AM
I was 5 months pregnant my last trip and the only thing that I found myself doing was sitting down more often. I had no problem walking around, but my feet hurt when I stood (hence the sitting). I had gained 15-20 pounds of baby weight by then, so I had to carry some extra pounds by then. My DH gave me a cold on the drive down, so if I was slowed down it was due to having a bad cold, not from being pregant. And I still had a great time.

Due to my pregnancy, that rides that I normally go on but didn't this time were SM, SplM, BTMRR, Teacups, the Safari and Test Track. Also off-limits were Goofy's Barnstormer, ToT, RnR Coaster, EE, Dinosaur (I think) and MS. I think that I covered them all.

Just take it easy, rest often, drink plenty of fluids, wear comfortable clothes and shoes (per normal), and have fun (a must).

brownie
10-22-2007, 10:22 AM
With a 2 yr. old, I think you'll find that should be able to ride most if not all of the attractions she can go on. Don't forget the shows and entertainers in the parks, they can be just as fun as the rides.

May524
10-22-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm so glad you made this post! I am leaving in 31 days and I'll be 6 months pregnant. I am so excited, but again nervous. It's only DH and I, so this is our last 'getaway' before our baby comes! We are going for 5 days/4 nights. We decided to not go very long bc I seem to get worn out easily. But thanks to all who have posted already! :cloud9:

Zippy_D_DooDah
10-22-2007, 11:12 AM
My wife was pregnant with our second child while at WDW (She is 2 now btw). She fell in love with the baby stations while there that year. If you need to get out of the crowds and heat, the baby stations are great. The one she spent the most time in was behind the Crystal Palace in MK.

Here's some more Info (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/children/babytips.asp).

Oh, and she was able to ride most of the rides.