PDA

View Full Version : Up or Down???

To WDW and beyond
10-20-2007, 12:48 PM
During a discussion into the prospect of winning a $500 shopping spree, my sister and I realized our differences on the position of Casey's Corner and the shops on Main street.

When walking towards the Castle in the Magic Kingdom, do you walk up or down Main Street?

She thinks that you walk down Main Street to go to the Castle, stating that you don't walk up Main Street to exit the park.

However I think that you walk up towards the Castle, towards the focal point of the park. Also why would the singers on Main Street sing that they are walking right down the middle of main street when they are traveling towards the station from the castle?!

Please help to resolve our issues!!!
:confused: :thanks:

garymacd
10-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Personally, I am with you. You walk up the street to the castle.

Can't wait to see how polarised this thread gets. It's gonna be fun!:thumbsup:

tomorrowschild
10-20-2007, 01:03 PM
I think you walk up Main Street towards the castle.

Goofeygal
10-20-2007, 01:17 PM
I agree you walk up main street to cinderella's castle.:mickey:

amorillo
10-20-2007, 01:34 PM
another vote for UP!

rkmemkc
10-20-2007, 01:45 PM
I do also agree...you walk UP Main Street toward the Castle :mickey: and DOWN Main Street to go home :(

whistlewhileyouwork
10-20-2007, 02:05 PM
Definately UP to the castle and DOWN to the exit........:mickey:

SBETigg
10-20-2007, 02:59 PM
You must have a fantastic relationship with your sister if this is the kind of thing you debate. I think it all depends on your outlook and neither is right or wrong.

JuicyMoose17
10-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Up to the castle!

EJS-Houston
10-20-2007, 03:22 PM
I just watched a History Channel documentary about WDW in anticipation of being there in 2 weeks...and they talked about how the public areas of the park are all built up as if they're the 2nd or 3rd stories of a building, with the tunnel system for Disney cast members lying 14 feet below on the 1st story as it were...hence the reason you have to walk up an incline (if my memory serves correctly) to get into the park...and therefore (yes, I do eventually address the thread topic <G>) you walk UP Main Street toward Cinderella's castle, since you have to literally walk up to enter the park from the Transportation Center.

PrincessASquared
10-20-2007, 03:24 PM
UP :mickey: = towards castle

DOWN :( = leaving MK

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-20-2007, 04:15 PM
First, the Castle = North. So....you walk towards the north and therefore you walk up to the castle.

Second, there are no tunnels at the Magic Kingdom. Florida is below sea-level and therefore, we cannot have basements because if you dig a hole...you have water. So the 'utilador' (or utility corridor) is the first floor and the park is the second floor. So....you have to go upstairs to get into the park from the utilador.

The park is on an incline because of two reasons, the first being that when they built the Seven Seas Lagoon, they needed somewhere to put all the dirt. So it became the parks' foundation. The second being a visual aspect of it - From the Contemporary and other monorail resorts, you can see the Castle. But to create the movie theme, they built the Train Station to serve as the 'curtain' to the show. So when you stand at the turnstiles, you can't see the Castle because the Train Station acts as the curtain to the show and severs your connection to the reality of the parking lots, resorts, buses, etc to create the fantasy that is the Magic Kingdom.

wedway76
10-20-2007, 05:00 PM
I walk ALONG Main St!

GrmGrninGost
10-20-2007, 05:07 PM
UP to the castle! :mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
10-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Another Up to the Castle and Down Main Street to leave.

TheRustyScupper
10-20-2007, 06:42 PM
1) Most people in the world go DownTown.
2) Except New York, NY, and Charlotte, NC, they go UpTown.

TheMartellFamily
10-20-2007, 06:46 PM
We walk up to the castle.

dteed
10-20-2007, 07:09 PM
We always say "down the street," no matter which direction we are going.

BronxTigger
10-20-2007, 07:29 PM
1) Most people in the world go DownTown.
2) Except New York, NY, and Charlotte, NC, they go UpTown.

We go down here too...

But yes you go UP to the castle and DOWN to leave....matches your mood.

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
10-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Just to throw another thought out there, what about the song that plays when the trolley morning show is on Main St?

It's lyrics go "I'm walking right DOWN the middle of Main St. USA"

Buttercup
10-20-2007, 07:55 PM
I say "up" because on the map, you have to go "up" to get to the castle. The entrance is at the bottom of the page. :D

LudwigVonDrake
10-20-2007, 08:25 PM
I walk down Main Street USA to the Castle :mickey:

Mrs.Mya
10-20-2007, 08:42 PM
I am now totally confused. :confused:.....everyone's reasoning seems legit. I guess if I were to be having a general conversation with someone, I'm pretty sure I would say ....." I'm gonna walk DOWN mainstreet". ;) ( both entering & leaving MK )

kbean
10-20-2007, 09:05 PM
I would say also that you would walk down main street to exit.

Tink's Friend
10-20-2007, 09:07 PM
When walking towards the Castle in the Magic Kingdom, do you walk up or down Main Street?

Personally, who cares, so long as you're at the Magic Kingdom?!?!? :yay: (Just kidding--please don't take offense.;))

I think of it as walking up Main Street when I'm heading towards the castle and down Main Street when I'm heading back towards the entrance.

Suzanne Q
Bristol, TN

BronxTigger
10-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Actually, now that I've given this a little more thought, I've come to the following conclusions:

-Main Street is a two way street. Therefore, it goes both up and down.
-Towards the castle is "up" and towards the train station is "down", as evidenced on the Official Map.
-However, I think in spoken terms many people will simply say they are walking TO the castle. As in, "let's go to the castle."

I will come back to edit this post if the need arises based on further thought. :D

DisneyTwirler13!
10-20-2007, 09:48 PM
I think that you go UP Main Street to the castle, and DOWN Main Street to the exit

PirateLover
10-20-2007, 11:34 PM

Agreed! Technically you are walking "Up" but I've never heard anyone say I'm taking a stroll up the street. So I walk "down" Main St. whether I'm coming OR going! ;)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-20-2007, 11:42 PM
I go up Main St and then over to Frontierland. Or up Main St and over to Tomorrowland etc.

mainemajor
10-20-2007, 11:45 PM

Same with us. I think it's just how you talk which you use. I am "up" when I first get to the park and and truely "down" when I must leave, but either way I walk down Main St.

casey@bat
10-21-2007, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE=. Also why would the singers on Main Street sing that they are walking right down the middle of main street when they are traveling towards the station from the castle?!

Please help to resolve our issues!!!
:confused: :thanks:[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the singers walk towards the castle when they sing that song. It seems like I remember them going that way.

I think I have said before"I love when you go in and you're walking DOWN Mainstreet and you see the castle" and then when I leave I just say " leaving the park".

LibertyTreeGal
10-21-2007, 06:37 AM
I popped in my Disneyland Fun DVD, purely for informative reasons, and saw the train station in the background as mary was singing that she was walking right DOWN the middle of Main Street USA, so hey, gotta go with Mary, eh?

Down the street = down towards the castle

DON'T MESS WITH MARY POPPINS... she's practically perfect in every way.

Oh, and it was consistent for the entire song, they never turned around and walked back the other way.

disneymom2000
10-21-2007, 09:31 AM
I'm on Main Street and I go both ways. Depending on where I am standing and my mood at the time, I can go Up to the Movie Theater if I am at Casey's Corner or I can go Down to City Hall, if I am in front of the statue of Mickey and Walt.:spoiler:
Either way - I am so happy to be there.

To WDW and beyond
10-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the singers walk towards the castle when they sing that song. It seems like I remember them going that way.

There have been occassions where we have seen these singing trolley people going both ways on Main Street.
We have seen them singing from the Emporium towards the castle and singing from the castle towards the station, but still singing, "I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street USA."

Marker
10-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Actually I'd never really thought about it before.

Unless there is an actual hill involved, I think "walking down the street" is generic and does not imply any particular direction.

However, if I were to label it one way or the other, I say walking towards the castle as up, and then "down" to be toward the train station and exit, as in "down and out".

Or, if you look at a map of MK, the direction going towards the castle is UP on the map, and towards the train station is DOWN on the map.

But I don't think I can truly give a fair assessment without actually examining the situation first hand. So, in the name of research, I think I'd better make a plan to head to Main Street to check it out for myself.

LCPZA
10-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Now correct me if I am wrong. But if memory serves me correct, when my DS was around 2(almost 11 years ago)he had a Disney sing a long tape that had a song on it that used the words "Walking right down the middle of Main Stret USA". So if these are in fact the words ( I will check tonight when I get home and pull out the Disney Tape to confirm) then you do walk down main street. In the video they are walking from the entrance to the main castle passing the stores.
Either way does it really matter when you are in the MK? As far as I am concerned your walking in to Happiness and walking out to __. (well you fil in the blank with what ever fits for you)

caryrae
10-21-2007, 11:27 AM
:doh::crazy: I think I may just walk backwards on Mainstreet from now on.:blush:

I am with the people who said it's down both ways. Which ever side I am on I say lets walk DOWN Mainstreet.

Or maybe it is UP going to the Castle because your sprit is UP because you just got there and have all day to spend at MK and DOWN to the exits because you feel DOWN because your day at MK is over.:confused:

McGoofy
10-21-2007, 05:41 PM
I've never really put much thought into it as to why, but we always say "up" when we are headed toward the Castle and "down" when we are leaving. Maybe cuz it's such a downer to leave!:(

IloveDisney71
10-21-2007, 11:03 PM
I just watched a History Channel documentary about WDW in anticipation of being there in 2 weeks...and they talked about how the public areas of the park are all built up as if they're the 2nd or 3rd stories of a building, with the tunnel system for Disney cast members lying 14 feet below on the 1st story as it were...hence the reason you have to walk up an incline (if my memory serves correctly) to get into the park...and therefore (yes, I do eventually address the thread topic <G>) you walk UP Main Street toward Cinderella's castle, since you have to literally walk up to enter the park from the Transportation Center.
I recently read this same thing. They also mentioned that the downward slope as you leave was done to help with tired feet at the end of the day.:)

Kurtoon
10-21-2007, 11:17 PM
I'm walking right down the middle of main street USA
The trolley show starts at the town square and moves towards the castle and the cast members sing" I'm walking right down the middle of main street USA"
So... if the CM's walk DOWN main street to the castle...then so do I.

much mouse

Main Street Jim
10-22-2007, 09:50 AM
I'm walking right down the middle of main street USA
The trolley show starts at the town square and moves towards the castle and the cast members sing" I'm walking right down the middle of main street USA"
So... if the CM's walk DOWN main street to the castle...then so do INope. The Trolley show starts at the Hub end (Castle), and moves toward the Town Square end (train station). It's always been this way since they started this show a coupla years back.

Anyways...on another note, Main Street actually has an "uphill" incline going from Town Square to the Hub. This, in essence, is to "build the excitement up" of coming into the park and going toward Cindy's place. So when you leave, you're going downhill. Because at the end of the day, when your feet are sooooooo tired, you're actually being "helped' down the grade, but it sure doesn't feel like it. Makes it easier and less tiring on your feet exiting the park.

By the way, anyone know how long Main Street is from Town Square to the Hub?

*answer below*....

850 feet from curb to curb. It looks a lot longer, don't it? ;)