PDA

View Full Version : Ready to start thinking about DVC

Hammer
10-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Jym (Natazu) and Rachel (sagessa) are to blame for this! I am seriously starting to think about buying into DVC. Jym had heard that they were reselling Boardwalk Villas memberships through Disney at $81/ pt. for 30 years. I am also looking at Boardwalk through the listings at the Timeshare Store. We love the Epcot area and Boardwalk is less points than the Beach Club.
Would the memberships purchased through the Timeshare Store be longer than 30 year memberships?
I noticed that Boardwalk is getting a linen/towel upgrade. This would include the Villas as well?
If we bought into Saratoga Springs, how hard is it to get the Boardwalk Villas at 7 months out?
In regards to housekeeping, would it be possible to pay for full cleanings every other day and pay to have trash and towel on the off days?
Regarding the AP discount, could I purchase an AP for myself (the DVC owner) and one for Cheryl? We do not have the same mailing address.
Generally, how much are closing costs?

I think that is all the questions I have right now...

Ian
10-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Before I answer, let me say that we're pretty happy we finally decided to buy in. We really feel good about our decision.

Would the memberships purchased through the Timeshare Store be longer than 30 year memberships?
It's certainly possible ... you'd have to check what they have available, but you should have no problem finding a contract that lasts into the 2050's. Not sure about finding one at Boardwalk, though.

I noticed that Boardwalk is getting a linen/towel upgrade. This would include the Villas as well?Can't really answer this, but I would think so.

If we bought into Saratoga Springs, how hard is it to get the Boardwalk Villas at 7 months out?Depends on when you're going. It's getting harder (at least that's what I hear). If it's at a slow DVC time you probably would be okay, but busier times you'd most likely be confined to SSR.

In regards to housekeeping, would it be possible to pay for full cleanings every other day and pay to have trash and towel on the off days?I think this is possible, yes.

Regarding the AP discount, could I purchase an AP for myself (the DVC owner) and one for Cheryl? We do not have the same mailing address.No, the AP discount only applies to those members of your immediately family living in the same household.

But if Cheryl went in on the contract with you, then she could get one for herself.

Generally, how much are closing costs?Depends on how many points you get ... Ours were like $450 - $500 for 160 points, but we bought new points from Disney and paid cash. I don't know what additional costs there are if you finance.

Tink&Goofy
10-20-2007, 12:24 PM
[QUOTE=Hammer;1452338]
I noticed that Boardwalk is getting a linen/towel upgrade. This would include the Villas as well?
If we bought into Saratoga Springs, how hard is it to get the Boardwalk Villas at 7 months out?
In regards to housekeeping, would it be possible to pay for full cleanings every other day and pay to have trash and towel on the off days?
Regarding the AP discount, could I purchase an AP for myself (the DVC owner) and one for Cheryl? We do not have the same mailing address.
[LIST]Generally, how much are closing costs?[QUOTE]

The Boardwalk is WONDERFUL. We actually own at Beach Club, but love the Boardwalk.

I'll try to answer what I can.
1. The "normal" contracts at BWV expire in '42. So these are what you would get purchasing resale. If I understand you correctly, DVC is selling 30 year contracts directly? If so, you would get a longer contract if purchasing a resale. The resale price would probably be comparable.
2. Not sure about towels and linens - DVC is likely separate, but they may do at the same time.
3. 7 month booking depends on the time of year. If you go at popular times, I wouldn't count on the 7 month window. As everyone says "buy where you want to stay".
4. You can pay an extra amount for daily cleaning, or can pay for extra towel sets. Don't know exactly how much, but its pretty nominal. I actually like not having somebody coming in my room everyday...
5. AP passes - I think they are pretty picky on this. I think its limited to DVC members (names on the contract), and household members.
6. Closing costs are not real high, but would be more for a resale. I think they are less than $500. I believe if you buy directly through DVC, you pay about half of the closing costs. (Once you are a member, if you want to add on directly through DVC, they don't charge closing costs).

Someone else will likely come along with more detailed answers. We are perfectly content with our membership - and have added on at AKV.
I hope this helps!

Hammer
10-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Thank you so much for the quick answers! I would be paying cash (once I finish refinancing, I will use the extra money left over) and looking at about the same amount of points as Ian.

I was looking at staying at the Boardwalk at about this time each year. Ian, did you ask if Boardwalk was available when you booked SSR for the Meet?

DVC Mike
10-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Jym had heard that they were reselling Boardwalk Villas memberships through Disney at $81/ pt. for 30 years....

Disney is selling BWV for $98/point, and they expire in 2042.

I am also looking at Boardwalk through the listings at the Timeshare Store. We love the Epcot area and Boardwalk is less points than the Beach Club.

Memberships purchased through Disney and the Timeshare Store will have the same expiration dates, with the sole exception of OKW. OKW purchase resale expires in 2042, while OKW purchased from Disney expires in 2057.

If you can typically book your vacation 11 months in advance, then you should buy into the resort that you would be happiest to stay at. If you would be typically booking 7 months or less in advance, then purchase the least expensive resort (considering both purchase cost and annual maintenance).

You could probably get "preferred" view at BWV. It would be more difficult to get "boardwalk" view or value views at BWV at 7 months.

Natazu
10-20-2007, 02:05 PM
I win

Horizon93
10-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Christine, DW and I am very happy w with our decision to buy into DVC. We received a ton of encouragement here.

For those of us who go at least every other year, (we typically go twice a year) DVC makes perfect sense, In terms of mousekeeping, DW and i are looking foraward to not having it every day. It will be nice to have breakfast in our room, take a walk, come back, without worrying if mousekeeping has gotten there yet.

We bought at AKV because we liked it the best and can see us staying there more often than other places. We have talked about possibly doing a BWV add on in a few years for food and wine stays, but we may just add on at AKV. As the saying goes, buy where you want to stay and i always add where you want your 11 month window to be.

In terms of BWV at 7 months, that can be challenging, particularly during food and wine.

Good luck with the decision!

kakn7294
10-20-2007, 04:45 PM
I don't have any answers to your questions but just wanted to wish you luck with your decision. It sounds as if you might be pretty close to buying in. I am not a DVC member - it doesn't make sense for us even with planned annual trips and it's beyond our budget at this time. I doubt if we'll ever be members but for some people it works really well - we're just not among them.

Ian
10-20-2007, 06:04 PM
I was looking at staying at the Boardwalk at about this time each year. Ian, did you ask if Boardwalk was available when you booked SSR for the Meet?Yes. No. ;)

But in fairness, I booked even way inside the 7 month mark. I think I booked maybe 5 months in advance tops.

Maleficent's Dad
10-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Christine,
Good luck with your decision. I've yet to meet an unhappy DVC owner. Is it a perfect timeshare? Hardly. But it's a pretty darned nice place to "own" at! :thumbsup:

As you often hear, "I wish I had bought sooner!"

I certainly can't answer all your questions (man! you do pose some tough ones!). But I'll try to help where I can.

Jym had heard that they were reselling Boardwalk Villas memberships through Disney at $81/ pt. for 30 years.
Wow! Is this official? Haven't heard this!

...tough one. If you asked this question 3 years ago, I'd have told you not to worry about it. We used to book the BCV at 5 months out. Nowadays... let's just say it's not so easy. However - keep in mind that we travel during peak times, so it's more of a challenge. If you go during off times (and not during the F&W Festival), it may be easier.
Some people have better luck than others. Our experiences have been that since the explosion of memberships at SSR, it's getting harder and harder to get in at non-home resorts.
Again - we travel at peak times.

You can do so. Make it noted when you make your ressies through MS (Member Services) that you want this. They'll put it on your ressie. When you check in, confirm it. We've had housekeeping "forget" our requests on more than one occasion. One time, we got a whole week of housekeeping for free (we were willing to pay - long story, mostly their fault! It's not always a "smooth thing" having housekeeping in to DVC rooms in our experiences).

Well, I'm not sure who Cheryl is (sorry), but the initial answer would be no. I say nope unless she is one of the actual "owners."
All DVC people who want the AP discount must be the actual owner, or a member of said owner's family living at the same address.
So unless she's on the deed as an owner, or she's in your family at your address, it's a no-go. :(

Generally, how much are closing costs?
Not sure, but others above have given you an idea. Note that closing costs are a new thing to DVC. Disney never used to charge any closing costs. They still don't charge you any closing costs if you are an existing member and are going to add more points on (something to keep in mind - purchase the minimum and then adding points could save you!).

Good luck with the decision - looking forward to Welcoming You Home! :mickey:

Natazu
10-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Wow! Is this official? Haven't heard this!

Officially, there are Boardwalk resales. There have been some for $81pp. Call your agent for current terms.

Carol
10-21-2007, 07:33 AM
I cannot answer your questions since we didn't finance and bought into Saratoga Springs. I did want to wish you much luck in your decision. I fall into the "wished we did it sooner category" - although now I'm using my points in Disneyland more and more. :cool:

As far as towels and cleaning go - you can do most anything. Here is the cost breakdown;

Pay As You Play
With Pay As You Play service, you'll be provided with the following amenities free of charge at the start of your stay. After that, you may purchase more for the following fees:

Toiletries Package, $5.00
1 facial soap, 1 bath soap, 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 shower gel

Coffee Package, $3.00
1 package of coffee, 8 sugars, 8 creamers, 8 artificial sweeteners

Towel Package, $6.00
4 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 4 washcloths, 1 bath mat

Laundry Detergent
(only in One-, Two-, and Three-bedroom Vacation Homes), $1.00 - 1 box

Housekeeping Daily Rates:
Studio/Inn Room - $25.00 per day requested
One-Bedroom - $30.00 per day requested
Two-Bedroom - $40.00 per day requested
Grand Villa - $60.00 per day requested
Trash & Towel - $10.00 per day requested.

Horizon93
10-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Officially, there are Boardwalk resales. There have been some for $81pp. Call your agent for current terms.

$81 per point through DVC directly? As far as I know the current price through DVC is $98 for BWV, We will likely do an add on there in a few years, but if DVC is selling them for $81, I will call my guide tomorrow!

Natazu
10-21-2007, 10:35 PM
$81 per point through DVC directly? As far as I know the current price through DVC is $98 for BWV, We will likely do an add on there in a few years, but if DVC is selling them for $81, I will call my guide tomorrow!
It was through DVC. I don't know if there are any more at that price though.