PDA

View Full Version : Table Dining comments for October 6-14, 2007 Part 2

Mickey'sGirl
10-19-2007, 05:36 PM
After much hemming and hawing (and 3 trips using the incredible DDE card), we opted to purchase the Dining Plan for our most recent trip. We typically eat at TS restaurants at least one time per day, and the convenience of having our food paid for before our holiday finally convinced us. I am going to provide a brief review of some of the restaurants, and of the plan itself.

Read Part 1 here
(http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=1451804#post1451804)

Wednesday was another good dining day. We had an early lunch reservation at the Sci-Fi at MGM. This is one of Harry’s favourite places to eat, so we never miss it. We paid out of pocket for this meal, as we were basically getting burgers and drinks. We started by sharing onion rings, then Harry and I had cheeseburgers, Euan had pasta and Brian had a Reuben and a Strawberry shake. It was a decent meal, enjoyed in a nice cool location. Our server was from Upper NY State and had recently been to the Toronto International Film Festival, and raved about our city. It was really nice talking to her!

Wednesday night we had dinner at the Kona Café at the Polynesian. We missed our Kona reservation in April as my poor DH contracted the stomach flu from a grubby little kid on Harry’s Hockey Team when we met him and his family for breakfast at Donald’s. I digress….. Let’s just say we were really looking forward to this dinner, as it is probably our favourite restaurant at WDW. We were seated promptly at a booth, and shortly thereafter were brought our Lapu Lapu’s. Just as good as ever! For starters, the kids had salads; Brian had the Pork bellies, which he did not enjoy. I didn’t try them as I don’t do pig meat, so I had the Crab Cakes. The recipe is slightly different than before – creamier if you will – but very very tasty. Harry shared the Crab Cakes with me and gave them his thumbs up. For dinner Euan had Chicken and vegetables, Harry had the Mahi Mahi – both were quickly gobbled up. Brian had the Filet, which he thoroughly enjoyed and I had the Shrimp and Scallops, which Harry “tried” and thumbed up again. For dessert the boys had sundaes, Brian had white chocolate cheesecake and I had the Banana Crème Brule (notice the pattern?). Even though we were stuffed, we could not resist. Other than Brian’s disappointment in the Pork bellies, we all thoroughly enjoyed our meals. It was really nice that the kids could get some good, fresh food to eat rather than the “pre-packaged” type they were being offered elsewhere. Kona is terrific value on the Dining Plan (I TS each) and worth every penny if paying out of pocket.

Thursday night, we had dinner reservations at ‘Ohana, where our friends Jym (Natazu) and Rachel (sagessa) were joining us. They came bearing gifts, so even better (Thanks again guys!). We all enjoyed the Sticky Wings, Salad, and Cheesy Potatoes. Harry particularly enjoyed the shrimp which he ate almost the whole serving of, and then some more from the “fill up” brought by our server. Euan nibbled on a chip. Then the course of meats arrived; beef and pork (neither of which Euan would eat – so the CM brought an ENORMOUS plate of Chicken fingers and fries which he didn’t eat either), sausage and turkey (which Euan finally ate – and then ate some more of). I think you could say that we all enjoyed our meals. During dinner there was a coconut race that the kids joined, but Jym declined to, then we had the bread pudding for dessert. It was very good…I love the caramel sauce. A great evening with two really terrific people (sorry for blowing your cover Jym!). ‘Ohana is a fun place to eat with a group, and the meats really are very good. I recommend it.

Friday we had a very late breakfast booked at 1900 Park Fare. We actually are not so keen on this location, and feel that the tables are crowded together, BUT, Euan is IN LOVE WITH MARY POPPINS and has been since he was only a year old. We had to go! Well, this ended up being one of the highlights of our trip. We were seated as the characters were making their rounds elsewhere in the restaurant, so we had time to get some food. The boys opted for cereal and bacon and fruit, Brian had an omelet and sides, and I had the Lobster Benedict and fruit and a bagel. The food was very good and our CM was terrific. She kept the coffee hot, and the juice glasses full. She also kept the boy’s chocolate milk full. This is where the fun began. Mary had made an initial stop at our table. I told her that Euan was very fond of her and had been for years – well the guy wouldn’t – couldn’t even look at her. I am sure he was blushing as he attempted to hide his head under my arm. She took this in measure, as only Mary would and continued to stop by at intervals to see if she could get a picture with him. At one of her later stops, the Mad Hatter was making a subsequent stop at our table. He was really enjoying goofing around with Harry….and Harry was having a blast too! At this later visit, the Mad Hatter challenged Harry to a caucus race – in the form of a “blowing tons of bubbles in your chocolate milk” race. Of course Harry was happy to comply, and seeing as our fabulous CM had just replenished his cup, he was good to go, and Brian set the camera up and was video taping the event. The Mad Hatter made some arrangements, setting Harry’s straw up properly and such and then he said “GO!” I don’t need to tell you what happened do I? The chocolate milk “backfired” up the straw through the lid and ALL OVER HARRY. He was COVERED from stem to stern. There was a pause as the CM, Harry, the Mad Hatter and Mary Poppins all looked over to me to gage my reaction. I have two sons! Of course I thought this was hilarious – so Harry and the Mad Hatter got into it, and poor Mary had to turn her head and cover her mouth as she was having a hard time controlling herself. We took some silly still shots, and Euan was so distracted that Mary finally got her cuddle with him, and planted a great big smooch on his cheek (he would not let me wipe the lipstick from it either). They spent so much time with us and we had so much fun. On our way out, our server stopped me. She said “I just wanted to tell you how nice and well behaved your boys are”. I really appreciated it, as they have ASD’s and are often fidgety and restless being in one place for so long. It was one of the nicest experiences we have ever had at WDW.

On Saturday, I had the pleasure of attending Afternoon Tea at the Grand Floridian. My table mates were Jym and Rachel, Christine (Hammer) and her sister Cheryl. The atmosphere was lovely, and the service was very good. I opted to start with a Champagne Cocktail, which was just all right (I had sampled the Pomegranate Kir at the France Booth earlier in the week. It ruined my palette for anything else!). I chose the Garden tea and had Scones with preserves. It was really lovely, and the company was terrific. It was great getting to know Christine and Cheryl and talking with the whole group. It cost about $25, which is fair. Tea at one of the better hotels in Toronto will run you $35-50 per head. Thumbs up and recommended for anyone who would not otherwise have the opportunity for a proper Tea.

Natazu
10-19-2007, 06:12 PM
It was a blast hanging out with you and your three well behaved boys. The oldest could use a shave though. Wasn't that tea fun? They even let me have the PBJ off the kids menu (for $13.50)

MauiMouse
10-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Sounds like you had more yummy WDW food. :tasty:

Thanks for the reviews, I've enjoyed reading them. :thumbsup:

offwego
10-20-2007, 12:10 PM
The tea sounds so neat. Think I could ever talk my boys into that? Sigh..

Way to go on the milk incident. What's that old saying no sense in crying over spilled (or in this case blown?) milk. I'm sure the pics will be a great memento!:mickey:

AbeeNormal
10-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks again for your great reviews. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time, it was like being there with you ...Thank you:) thank you:) thank you:)

LoriMistress
10-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the review. DH and I were planning on eating at Sci Fi as well.

ElenitaB
10-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Thank you for your fabulous reviews! Who wouldn't want to eat at these restaurants after reading what you have to say about them?

(And all I have to say after reading your reviews is that WDW is missing out big time by not having you on their moms' panel. :humph: Their loss, INTERCOT's gain.)

Jared
10-20-2007, 06:37 PM
I had a huge smile on my face reading your review of 1900 Park Fare. What an amazing experience! Your server sounded wonderful, and the interaction between your son and the characters is precious.

Kona Cafe and 'Ohana are probably my two favorite restaurants. You hit Boma in the other thread, so I'm impressed with your culinary taste.

Onto part three!

:tasty:

HndrdPrcnt
10-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Ah, more wonderful meals. I saw the pics from 1900 and it looked like a lot of fun was had. I just hope that you have a good stain remover as I can never seem to get chocolate milk out of clothes. Anyway, I am glad that you had some goot eats and great company!!:thumbsup:

pogo
10-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Oh Cousin..... the CM is right..... you have two wonderful guys in Harry and Euan. And Brian ain't so bad either. ;)

I've enjoyed reading these dining reviews. Especially the one about Kona. It is our favorite TS Meal at WDW. :D

Here we go again...
10-21-2007, 11:07 PM
I loved reading your reviews of the dining... and now I am really hungry. :tasty:

I just realized that we were at 'Ohana the same night as you! We had a late reservation so we were able to view the fireworks while we dined.
I will have to try the Brown Derby one day. You made it sound so yummy that I now think it might be worth 2 TS credits. (I think the Creme Brule is what got me)

January-2007
10-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Thanks for sharing.

disneydrmr
10-22-2007, 10:18 AM
How cute! They do say that chocolate milk goes with everything...:D Thanks for your wonderful reviews!

BriarRose0708
10-22-2007, 11:43 AM
:funny::rotfl::funny::rotfl:

Coffee, meet computer screen. I need some monitor cleaner after reading your 1900 Park Faire breakfast shenanigans!! That is just toooo funny!

Thanks again for your fabulous reviews, I concur with Ellen that Disney is missing out big time without you.

Aggie97
10-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks for posting all of your restaurant reviews! Very helpful information. :mickey: