PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Space Mountain Major Refurb

magicman
10-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Screamscape has published that there is a rumour that Space Mt will close down in Jun of 2008 for a major, one-year refurb.

Personally, I'd be willing to forego riding the ride for a year if it would bring WDW's version up to the upgraded DisneyLand version.

Ian
10-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Been hearing that one around a lot lately. In fact, no need to go to Screamscape for it ... someone mentioned that here like a week ago.

I agree with you ... I'd forego it for a year if they brought in DL's version, which is vastly superior.

JPL
10-19-2007, 03:53 PM
This was reported here a while back I think as far back as last spring when the information came in from my source. I laso know a few SM CM's have been moved to different attractions or are training on different attraction to work whils it's down. This is definatley a bit more than a rumour it's more of when will it go and exactly what will they do to it.

The same speculation that took place with the Mansion when it was scheduled to go down. I just hope we don't have the same impossible they would never close it that long and at time discussions again. At times I really wish we could disclose our sources but then the flow information would stop.

I have January 2008 as the month it will go down right after the holiday rush. I have herad information about it being closed for 12-18 months to complete the refurbishments. Of course as I will state with all information I get before it is officially announced it is all subject to change up until and sometimes even after the announcement.

magicofdisney
10-19-2007, 04:02 PM
I have January 2008 as the month it will go down right after the holiday rush. I have herad information about it being closed for 12-18 months to complete the refurbishments.
This is the information I remember reading about, quite sometime ago, probably in this forum.

mttafire
10-19-2007, 04:08 PM
I always contact my buddy on Orlano Fire when it comes to Disney rumors...He says " Yep, You can bet your bottom dollar that S.M. WILL be closed for 1 year starting in 08."
Now, This is NOT official obviously but he does seem to have some credibility. He aint been wrong yet..:thumbsup:

mttafire
10-19-2007, 04:10 PM
This was reported here a while back I think as far back as last spring when the information came in from my source. I laso know a few SM CM's have been moved to different attractions or are training on different attraction to work whils it's down. This is definatley a bit more than a rumour it's more of when will it go and exactly what will they do to it.

The same speculation that took place with the Mansion when it was scheduled to go down. I just hope we don't have the same impossible they would never close it that long and at time discussions again. At times I really wish we could disclose our sources but then the flow information would stop.

I have January 2008 as the month it will go down right after the holiday rush. I have herad information about it being closed for 12-18 months to complete the refurbishments. Of course as I will state with all information I get before it is officially announced it is all subject to change up until and sometimes even after the announcement.
Hopefully this IS a go. D.L. version of Space M. is AWSOME. If the M.K. does do this, Then they will have refurbed almost all of their "main" attractions.

Red Randal
10-19-2007, 05:00 PM
It also makes sense with the timing of the BTMRR rehab, ensuring the other major coaster can go the year or two Space Mtn will be down.

What about Splash, though? I heard Splash might be in for a little refurb in January. They surely won't close their two most popular rides at once. Maybe a quickie Splash refurb after Christmas and then Space goes down in February or March, still giving it enough time to reopen for summer 2009?

thrillme
10-19-2007, 05:21 PM
I'm a little surprised that they'll close SM for an entire year. I can see them close in Jan and then reopen in June...one year seems like an awful long time.

DisneyDudet
10-19-2007, 05:41 PM
I'm a little surprised that they'll close SM for an entire year. I can see them close in Jan and then reopen in June...one year seems like an awful long time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the DLR version down for about 2 years while getting its amazing refub? I hadn't ever been before (the refurb), but the new version is AMAZING! Yeah, I'll miss riding it Jan 2009, but when I go back again, it will be AWESOME! Doing what they did to DLR, 6 months is not nearly enough time.

And I don't like hearing about all that "Why not have it closed during off season" stuff. Well, this past weekend, I have to say, I've never seen Epcot and AK that crowded... EVER! I'm sure most will agree that last Saturday, Epcot was WILD. So, there really isn't an "off season" anymore, and I believe it.

It will be a welcome refurb, and no matter how long it takes, I will happily wait.

JPL
10-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the DLR version down for about 2 years while getting its amazing refub?

Correct DLR closed SM for aproximately 2 years and gutted the entire ride system and rebuilt it from scratch. Still no word on this is what WDW will be getting. Just remember everyone doubted that they would close the Mansion and keep it closed for the entire summer the same was true when news of SSE came about with people saying it would not be closed during busy season. Sometimes there is just no good time to close something in order to get the job done especially when it needs to be a lengthy refurb.

brownie
10-19-2007, 07:44 PM
We didn't make it on Space Mountain at DLR when we were there this past June, but I would have liked to have been able to.

It may not take them as long to redo Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom since they have the experience of having already redone Disneyland's. Hopefully if they do shut it down for work, it'll be running by our planned 2009 trip.

WDWfanatic742
10-19-2007, 08:14 PM
I will definately be visiting the week before the ride goes down. I don't know if I will be able to stand not going on my new favorite ride for a year.

battle beast
10-19-2007, 09:16 PM
It also makes sense with the timing of the BTMRR rehab, ensuring the other major coaster can go the year or two Space Mtn will be down.

What is BTMRR? :confused: I know when I hear I'll smack my forehead.

*added a few second later*

I got it. Big Thunder Mountain. DUH!

WDWfanatic742
10-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Plus they need to plan around Jungle Cruise going under for rehab as well. At least our favorite attractions are getting treatment.

big blue and hairy
10-20-2007, 09:28 AM

Well...if its something that takes at least a year, they can't too well open it half way through it. Yes, I'm sure Disney would prefer to have one of their most popular rides open during busy season, but that would mean they could never really upgrade the ride.

:sulley:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-20-2007, 12:16 PM
BTMRR = Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

There are still off seasons, when the times are slower. It just depends on the year. There are a lot of factors that can affect tourism to WDW.

But SM needs the update, it's great but getting old.

Red Randal
10-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Well, this past weekend, I have to say, I've never seen Epcot and AK that crowded... EVER! I'm sure most will agree that last Saturday, Epcot was WILD.

I don't know about that. From the perspective of someone who has made many trips during the summer and Christmas week, this weekend was a WONDERFUL time to be at any of the parks. AK was mobbed on Monday, I'll admit, but we did just about every major Epcot attraction with little to no wait on Saturday morning. World Showcase was mobbed for the Food & Wine Festival in the afternoon and night though. I think that had more to do with it than anything else.

Also, on a completely unrelated (to the above) note, this might be a ridiculous and insane idea, but is there any way to refurb one side of the ride and not the other, then switch when the first side is done? I'm think it is almost surely "no" but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Ian
10-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Also, on a completely unrelated (to the above) note, this might be a ridiculous and insane idea, but is there any way to refurb one side of the ride and not the other, then switch when the first side is done? I'm think it is almost surely "no" but I just thought I'd throw that out there.Interesting thought ... probably depends on what, exactly, they're going to do.

I wouldn't be horribly shocked to see them end up with a longer coaster and only one side. If memory serves, I don't think DL has two sides. Although honestly I really don't remember.

DisneyDudet
10-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Interesting thought ... probably depends on what, exactly, they're going to do.

I wouldn't be horribly shocked to see them end up with a longer coaster and only one side. If memory serves, I don't think DL has two sides. Although honestly I really don't remember.

No, DLR doesn't have two sides. There is one ride track. It took up the entire building and the new version is just so massive, that I don't think taking down one side is even possible.

They would need to make sure that is the only ride down, and hopefully not to many other attractions break down. It would need to be down for a long time, so I don't think they can avoid a busy season.

And RedRandall, I have been at Christmas and in the summer, and I have personally never seen Epcot or AK that crowded in my other 12 trips. It may be a matter of perspective, and I know the F&WF was the main reason, but still, not having room to move around on my way to Norway for the Mickey Meet and there not being any available space anywhere... that's crowded. Crowds I've never encountered before.

Red Randal
10-21-2007, 02:37 AM
And RedRandall, I have been at Christmas and in the summer, and I have personally never seen Epcot or AK that crowded in my other 12 trips. It may be a matter of perspective, and I know the F&WF was the main reason, but still, not having room to move around on my way to Norway for the Mickey Meet and there not being any available space anywhere... that's crowded. Crowds I've never encountered before.

Honestly, I intended on devoting my entire afternoon to the F&WF but when it became evident that it was going to take me longer to get two bites of chicken than it did to get on Test Track, I decided it was time to hit the road so we spent the afternoon at MGM. When we got back we only went from the International Gateway to Innoventions, then back to France for the Illuminations party. I noticed the UK was absolutely mobbed, but once I fought through the crowds outside Rose & Crown, I had no trouble getting across the bridge.

The morning was mostly empty IMO around Future World. I guess it's just a matter of who was where and when.

I guess I lucked out on the Epcot crowd. AK was admittedly a zoo, however, on Monday morning.

**Edited to add that I had literally no intention to word that last sentence that way, but now I think it's hilarious.**

Ian
10-21-2007, 07:02 AM
AK was admittedly a zoo .... See? I've been trying to tell you guys that it's just a zoo, but you won't listen! ;)

DisneyDudet
10-21-2007, 09:28 AM
AK is Natazu! Gosh Ian!

KylesMom
10-22-2007, 02:53 PM
I've been prepping DH and DS regarding SM going down for refurb ever since we began discussing this topic 'way back when'. As disappointing as it would be not to get our Triple Mountain Whammy fix in '08, I would welcome the closure, if for no other reason than to improve service. Although we were able to ride the attraction many times in June, it seemed it was down about as much as it was actually running. I think that if HM is as good as everyone says it is, then my guys will agree that it would be worth the 12-18 month closure for Space Mtn. :mickey:

big blue and hairy
10-22-2007, 04:36 PM
:jaw:
See? I've been trying to tell you guys that it's just a zoo, but you won't listen! ;):jaw:

Slap yourself....;)

Natazu
10-22-2007, 06:23 PM
AK is Natazu! Gosh Ian!

Ian will understand once he gets a little older.
Note that AK is Nāhtázū. Natazu is copyrighted. ;)

Natazu©

Ian
10-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Ian will understand once he gets a little older.
Note that AK is Nāhtázū. Natazu is copyrighted. ;)

Natazu©Jim's still recovering from when I cornered him at Jellyrolls and asked him, quite seriously, if he had ever considered the possibility that maybe it really is .... just a zoo ...

:razz:

JPL
10-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Actually on the Backstage Safari our tour guide said AK is a Zoo but a Zoo with alot more to offer:thumbsup:

Natazu
10-23-2007, 12:34 AM
Jim's still recovering from when I cornered him at Jellyrolls and asked him, quite seriously, if he had ever considered the possibility that maybe it really is .... just a zoo ...

Yup. I was completely unprepared for that. It was really the delivery that got me. You could be a comedian. Certainly not a dancer or a singer. I love Jellyrolls.

ccp1
10-23-2007, 03:13 AM
This thread just got really funny...
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Natazu
10-23-2007, 03:19 AM
This thread just got really funny...
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Hey ccp1. I just noticed your Location. I was born in Lindenhurst, 111 E. 9th St right off 109. How's the old neighborhood doing? Is Kellum Elementary still there?

What was this tread about again?

big blue and hairy
10-23-2007, 10:11 AM
maybe it really is .... just a zoo ...

Hmmmmm....does that mean as far as you're concerned...maybe the Yeti is....real?:razz:

Ian
10-23-2007, 11:28 AM
You could be a comedian. Certainly not a dancer or a singer. I love Jellyrolls.Yes, this may surprise you, but you're not the first person to mention my .... ummm ... deficiencies in those areas. ;)

Patricia
10-23-2007, 01:06 PM
Certainly not a dancer or a singer.

..Sounds like someone forgot the "No Bad Dancing" rule implemented at the Odyssey Meet. :nono:

The WDW Space Mountain is the only version of the attraction that has ever had two tracks.. but the tracks do cross one another, so you couldn't close only one side.

I think Disneyland closed SM because the ride was becoming unstable. If you'll recall that track broke some years ago, as well, injuring riders. It had a complete track replacement, but they used the same layout anchoring it 30 feet deeper into the ground, making it much safer and we got new ride cars, on ride sound, special effects and a much smoother ride with the new track systems available now. :)

Seeing that the WDW version was built first (it's old) perhaps it's just time to rebuild it not only for safety sake, but to update the technology. I think it's the only one left without an on ride soundtrack. I'm looking forward to a smoother ride myself.

DisneyDudet
10-23-2007, 01:54 PM
I think it's the only one left without an on ride soundtrack.

You mean, the SM at DL Paris has a soundtrack?

OOOOH... You just got me even MORE excited!

Ian
10-23-2007, 02:38 PM
..Sounds like someone forgot the "No Bad Dancing" rule implemented at the Odyssey Meet. :nono:With me, it's more like "No Good Dancing" ...

We were actually laughing the next day looking at our pictures. We're like, "There seems to have been a lot of pointing ... what was with all the pointing?"

Any dancing that involves pointing can't be good. :(

mttafire
10-23-2007, 02:49 PM
And now back to Space Mountain..........

Patricia
10-23-2007, 03:06 PM
You mean, the SM at DL Paris has a soundtrack?

OOOOH... You just got me even MORE excited!

Paris SM was the first to have on ride audio.

Oh, and I was wrong.. Tokyo SM does not have on ride audio yet. I thought they would have added that on it's last refurbishment, but no.

mttafire
10-23-2007, 03:10 PM
The D.L. soundtrack was GREAT! Im VERY happy that M.K. will be doing an extensive refurb. Well...Rumour has it anyways...:secret:

DisneyDudet
10-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Paris SM was the first to have on ride audio.

Oh, and I was wrong.. Tokyo SM does not have on ride audio yet. I thought they would have added that on it's last refurbishment, but no.

Well, how exciting! I will HAVE to post a trip report when I get back from THAT!

crazy4disneyworld
10-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Although I'll miss this original Space Mountain terribly, I'd love to have something similar to what they did at DL because the soundtrack sounds awesome and, from what I've heard, the ride has been nothing but a great improvement there. I'm all for it if Disney wants to bring it to WDW (as long as I can ride the original one more time in April...:D).

Or, maybe with John Lasseter making huge changes in WDI, WDW will get something amazing and original! Hey, I can dream...

(Of course, that's all assuming a rehab is really going down...)

poeticeclipse
10-24-2007, 09:17 AM
What are the major difference between DLR and WDWs SM? I just can't remember. I know that the cars are wider and much more comfortable for people who are bigger than a twig. I fit okay into it and i'm not "big" by any means but my husband is 5'7" and about 210 pounds so he always feels like he's squeezing into the SM seats. Eeek!

DisneyDudet
10-24-2007, 11:24 AM
DLR has a longer car, with seating side to side (think EE). It has a lap bar as well. There are speakers that blast cool sounding music during the ride. It is in sync with the ride! There are some visual effects at the beginning and at the end that are a little fun, that are tied into the "trip into space". The ride is MUCH smoother and seems a little faster!

That's a brief synopsis of the difference. It may not be way accurate, but, hey, its early and I'm sick.

DisneyFanaticDargon
10-24-2007, 08:27 PM
WDW's Space Mountain is much larger, and has dual tracks. The trains DO have lap bars on SM at MK but they only sit one per seat and can only seat 6 people per train versus the much more capacity friendly and traditional roller coaster trains at DL. Another interesting fact is that you can see the the ride from the loading platform whereas at DL you cannot. DL also has 3 lift hills in order to get to the "peak" of the mountain before you enjoy the rest of the ride.

magicman
10-25-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm betting that the refurb won't begin until after Splash Mountain refurb is complete in 2008.

Also, I don't know if one to one and a half years is as long as they had DLRs Space Mountain in refurb when they upgraded it, but I bet the refurb time will be shorter because they've done it before.

Here's some upgrade pixie dust.
:tink::tink::tink:
:coaster: