PDA

View Full Version : Child's First Haircut at MK

BeccaO
10-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Has anybody ever had their child's first hair cut at the barbershop on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom?? I am interested in doing this when we go in January and was wondering if they take appts or how it works? Do they make a fuss over them? Any information would be great!!!

1goofyfamily
10-19-2007, 03:14 PM
It was great. We had our youngest get his 1st hair cut there when he was barely 1. They totally covered him in Mickey Mouse stickers, gave him a light up spinner to play with. You get a certificate & special ears too. We were so glad we got the chance to do it. It is done on a walk in basis. We didn't have to wait long if at all; it was December when we had his done so it wasn't too busy.

ibrowse17
10-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Despite what my DW says, I am no longer a child. That being said, I did enjoy my first MK haircut on our last trip. It was such a nice experience, and I look forward to my next Disney haircut:thumbsup:

Hayden's Dad
10-19-2007, 03:31 PM
We did this in May and I would recommend it to anyone. :thumbsup: We went straight there when the gates opened and were the second ones there. My son at the time was 16 months at the time so I held him. They did a great job they kept the hair for us, gave us stickers, pixie dust, and the special mouse ears, oh and the certificae all for $14.00. I thought that was a pretty good deal. We will be taking him back there in Nov for his haircut again. I would recommend going early though they only have two chairs and the line was forming by the time we were leaving.

vamaggie
10-19-2007, 03:37 PM
WE did this in 04 when DD was 18 mos (she was a hairless wonder for most of her 1st year!) She sat on my lap, they gave her lots of stickers, big fuss over her. The ears said "1st haircut". I would recommend it--it was great!

teambricker04
10-19-2007, 07:54 PM
I think we had the oldest bald baby! He got his first haircut at Disney when he was 16 MO and I think they cut like three hairs. Okay, maybe six.

Anyhoo... When we did it, we ran right in at opening and got in line. There were probably four or five little kids ahead of us and only two barbers. They take a decent time with each child and literally cover them head to toe in stickers and give confetti. It was well worth the 14 bucks even if DS didn't wear the ears. The pictures are priceless.

Should I mention that my DS has never sat still for any other haircut??? Ever. Never ever ever ever.

merlinmagic4
10-19-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm going to check it out next month for my 18 month old son...........we will be arriving at 4pm for MVMCP and if there's not a huge line, we'll definitely do it!

TheMartellFamily
10-19-2007, 09:42 PM
We had it done with our DS who had just turned one. He had literally no hair at all except one little tuft on top of his head. Mikal said that he will get his 1st haircut here and got all the goodies to go with it. He cut off all of it in one fell cut and when his other brother was done we paid the bill. He said that there was no charge for Dilan as for he really did not do anything since it was more work for us holding when an unknown person was around. It truly was a great surprise and a great memory. Sadly to say by the end of the day the few hairs that were cut were lost. Let me tell you it is such a great experince to get to this as a 1st haircut it is worth anysort of wait to get in.

BeccaO
10-19-2007, 10:41 PM
WOW!!!! Thanks for such a great response from everyone!!! I believe this will definately be a first stop as soon as we arrive at the MK when we go in January. Our son will be a little over 13 months old and ready for his first ever haircut!!!! I am crossing my fingers that his hair doesn't all of a sudden have a huge growth spurt before then!!! I think we should be OK. His hair seems to be growing so much faster than his older sister did at his age!! Anyhow, thank-you all so very much for your in-put, it's much appreciated!!!

Flower
10-20-2007, 02:10 AM
When we adopted Brandon at 18 months he had never had a haircut - we went to WDW a month before his second birthday for his first haircut. DH was SO mad at me because I made him wait that long, and because his hair was so long at that point!

DH soon realized waiting was a good decision. The experience was wonderful and Penney was awesome!

2 weeks ago Benjamin had his first haircut at 11 months and he too had a great experience with Beverlene - he was so good, I could not believe it!

They really make such a big deal and such a fuss over the little ones!

Of note: be careful of the 'pixie dust' they put in their hair. Brandon was sitting in front of Ben in the double stroller and Ben was reaching out and eating the pixie dust - bad baby!!! We had to brush it all out of Brandon's hair so Ben could not get anymore.

teambricker04
10-20-2007, 07:48 AM
DH soon realized waiting was a good decision. The experience was wonderful and Penney was awesome!

My DS had Penney too. She was super nice and very good with out VERY wiggley little boy. Seriously, I have never seen him sit like that before or anytime after that cut.

Ian
10-20-2007, 09:22 AM
It's so funny how often someone around here posts a question relating to something I've been wondering about ...

We're taking DS down for his second trip in December. He'll just be a year old and we've already decided we want to do this.

Reading everyone's feedback seems to confirm that this is a really good idea!

illini
10-22-2007, 12:10 AM
ITA with everyone else that it's worth it. And for the parents of baldies, be heartened. We had DD's first haircut at 2.5. YIKES!

Anyway, I do have a tip to make it easier and no wait. We went to the MK on a.m. EMH. About 10 minutes before park opening, I plopped down in front of the barber shop with some breakfast from the bakery. The kids munched while we waited and we were the first ones in. So easy and fun!

My DD9 doesn't want to do BBB, she would prefer to go back to the barber shop. :mickey:

KatGat
10-22-2007, 04:00 PM
In November, our 18 months old got his first haircut on Main Street (after months of looking like a girl because we were 'holidng out' for that magical haircut..LOL). The haircut itself was a wonderful experience, but we had to wait 2 full hours. There were 2 barbers and about 8 people ahead of us (first come, first serve). Most of the people were adults and most of the kids waiting were girls wanting colored/sparkly stuff done to their hair. Must've been time-consuming. Our toddler did surpise us and sit still with the fun dictractions, though, and it was a great cut! Probably won't do it again, but great for first time.

brigidfirst
10-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Has anyone gone and get thier hair cut and then donated it to locks of love? We are plaining our next trip summer of 2009 by then our daughters hair will be long again so she can cut it.

Flower
10-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Has anyone gone and get thier hair cut and then donated it to locks of love? We are plaining our next trip summer of 2009 by then our daughters hair will be long again so she can cut it.

No, we haven't, but what a wonderful thing to do!

I was just thinking about a TIP we got from Penney for Brandon's first cut - GIVE HIM A TREAT!!! It worked like a charm, he sat and ate his Cheerios as she cut away. Everytime DH takes him for a haircut now he always makes sure there is some sort of snack for him. Yes, you have to be careful hair does not get on the food, but it definitely preoccupied him and kept him happy!

Septbride2002
10-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Has anybody ever had their child's first hair cut at the barbershop on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom?? I am interested in doing this when we go in January and was wondering if they take appts or how it works? Do they make a fuss over them? Any information would be great!!!

We just did this last week and it was great. My daughter is 1 and extremely shy - they covered her with stickers, blew bubbles, gave toys. They did make a fuss but not a whole lot because they are there to cut hair as well. Ms. Penny was fantastic. My daughter got a certificate, and a pair of mouse ears. Our reciept even says, "First Haircut."

No appointments - it is first come first serve. We got there about 15 minutes after opening and had to wait about 10 minutes.

It was great - I totally reccomend it!

~Amanda

Mousemates
10-24-2007, 01:27 PM
As a member of the 40+ crowd I've had my fair share of haircuts, but on our 2006 trip I did have my first "non-family" haircut in over thirty years. My mom had cut my hair since I was about 8 years old (she was a cosmetologist), and when she passed away for whatever reason the thought of going and getting a haircut was something of an issue for me...i guess I was afraid I might "tear out" in the chair...so my wife and kids decided to make an event out of it...and a few clip later (with a whole lot of gel, glitter and even a Tennesee Orange Mickey thrown in) I was well groomed once again. The girl who cut my hair was great and she ended up being the one with tears, not me. FWIW.

tomorrowschild
10-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks for all the great info on this. I have always wondered about what went with the first haircut. We will definately be taking Chloe:princess: here next year for here first haircut!

Belle_0717
10-25-2007, 01:12 PM
We had my DNephew's first hair cut there. Everyone spoke so highly of it, we couldn't wait.

We arrived at WDW just about noon and headed to MK around 1:30. DH and I got on line. There were about 4 people (kids and adults) ahead of us. A family of 3 let my nephew go and he had Penney.

I was skeptical at first BUT HOW AWESOME. The stickers kept Andrew occupied and she was so quick. She kept pulling toys out and he was an angel.

My DFather went into the Emporium and got the 2 young boys gift cards for letting Andrew go first. It was a wonderful experience so DO IT!