PDA

View Full Version : Have I missed any must eats?

Rodders
10-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Here is my current planned list of TS meals for our holiday next year. Are there any that some people think that are "must eats" that aren't on the list. Are there any on the list that people really dislike? I'm planning to call to make the ADRs 180 days out. I have never done this before. How difficult is it to get the ones you want at a reasonable hour?

Tony's Town Square
Mamma Melrose (Fantasmic)
LeCellier
BierGarten
Ohanas
Brown Derby
Fultons
Liberty Tree
Cali Grill
Hollywood and Vine
Narcoossee's
Coral Reef
CRT

murphy1
10-19-2007, 09:30 AM
I don't think you will have much trouble 180 days out on these. I've heard CRT is even easier at breakfast due to them making it 2 TS credits now. The only two I have consistently heard negs. on are Tony's and H & V. One I would really think about adding is Crystal Palace, we have been a few times and it's always great.

laprana
10-19-2007, 10:16 AM
If you're calling right at the 180 day mark, you shouldn't have any trouble getting the dates and times you want. The only one I've heard of being really, really tough to get is LeCellier, but last year we called about 178 days out and got it no problem!

The only one on your list I wouldn't recommend is Mama Melrose. We ate there in June and it was terrible. But, just because we had a bad experience doesn't mean you will, too!

If you do decide to change any, I would suggest Kona Cafe at the Poly or Spoodles at the Boardwalk. Both have great food and really nice atmospheres! Have fun with all your planning!!:mickey:

mudpuppysmom
10-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Here is my :twocents:

Tony's was just eyh for us.....we didn't leave anything there to go back and pick up.

LeCellier was pretty much like Tony's....but I will say the pretzel breadsticks are yummy! And, dipped in the cheese soup, even yummier.

Biergarten was a LOT of fun for our small family. DS enjoyed the show and we even danced a bit out on the main floor while they played the polka. The food was decent and I'd go again any trip!! DH enjoyed himself, and says he'd go back too, so that is saying something!

Narcoossee's was AWESOME!!! We will be back to this place one of these days....after we continue to explore all the options that WDW has to offer, but again, something we'd throw in here and there to know we're going to have an enjoyable and fantastic meal with impeccable service.

The others I can't really speak about as we have not eaten there. Mama Melrose's smells good when we walk by though!! And, I've heard Ohana's is good and we'll be trying that one in January.

One that I would recommned is Jiko. It, like Narcoossee's is a fantastic dining experience, with wonderful service, not quite as impeccable as Narc's, but it is a great, relaxing place to dine.

As the above poster mentioned, Crystal Palace is a good place too......Although I was not overly thrilled with it, DS enjoyed himself thoroughly, so I'd like to try breakfast instead of dinner one time in the future.

Good luck with your decisions!!

HeidiGW
10-20-2007, 12:18 AM
I'd skip Fulton's and sub Wolfgang Puck's. WP's appetizers are hands down the best in the World!!!

HndrdPrcnt
10-20-2007, 01:04 AM
We really loved a number of the ones on your list. However, we also love:

Crystal Palace - breakfast prior to park opening
Whispering Canyon Cafe'
Prime Time Cafe'
& RFC

Lessie
10-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Calling 180 days out, you should be fine getting reasonable times. You might not get exactly want you want with California Grill or CRT, but I wouldn’t stress.

I think you have a lot of good choices, especially Narcoosees! You might consider adding Kona Café, Jiko, and 50's Prime Time. They are wonderful and I highly recommend them! Of those listed, you might want to reconsider Fultons and Coral Reef. I’ve had good meals there, but they are somewhat hit or miss.

Have fun! :mickey:

Tinkerbellfan
10-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Hello-

Your list made me hungry!

I would also recommend Jikos or Boma's at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Both of these restaurants are wonderful and the resort is a lot of fun to visit. There are viewing areas you can see animals at and the the resort is worth the trip.

Enjoy!

Jared
10-20-2007, 06:51 PM
You made some great choices, even hitting 'Ohana, possibly my favorite restaurant.

My other highlights are Kona Cafe, Boma and Cape May Cafe.

Happy dining!

:tasty:

Natazu
10-21-2007, 12:27 AM
You have some wonderful choices. One recommendation though... Dump Fulton's, go to Flying Fish (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=118570) instead.

mousetrapper
10-21-2007, 09:54 AM
I'd recommend Boma's as well. Fantastic atmosphere and a wide range of delicious dishes from which to choose.

I'd also consider a dinner show -- my vote is for Hoop Dee Doo Revue!

Good, filling "down home" food with a wonderfully entertaining show to boot.

And, as you're visiting from England, it's a great taste of Americana! (but I guess all of WDW really is, isn't it?!):mickey:

Enjoy!

GrmGrninGost
10-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Wow! You hit all my favorites except for the Rose & Crown. We had not tried it until this past September. We won't miss it again! It and the Coral Reef were the two best meals we had in our 9 days at WDW! I highly recommend both! :mickey:

pink
10-21-2007, 03:22 PM
I know most people don't like Sci-Fi because there food is so-so. (I agree:secret:) However, I think it has one of the best atmospheres. :mickey:

Tinkerbellfan
10-21-2007, 03:22 PM
I second that!

You have some wonderful choices. One recommendation though... Dump Fulton's, go to Flying Fish (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=118570) instead.

IloveDisney71
10-21-2007, 10:59 PM
The only one on your list that my family really doesn't care for is H&V. We left hungry because nothing we tried was good enough to eat. Even the desserts were not good. It is the only rest. at Disney that I have tried and won't try again. ?BUT they could have been having an off day?
But we LOVE LeCellier and Ohanas - two of our must eats on every trip.:thumbsup:

Rodders
10-22-2007, 04:20 AM
Wow, I am thrilled that so many of you took the time to reply to this thread. It's really made my morning :number1:

I'll certainly take your recommendations on board and tweek our list.

You guys are the best. Thankyou :mickey:

Rodders
10-22-2007, 04:38 AM
I'd recommend Boma's as well. Fantastic atmosphere and a wide range of delicious dishes from which to choose.

I'd also consider a dinner show -- my vote is for Hoop Dee Doo Revue!

Good, filling "down home" food with a wonderfully entertaining show to boot.

And, as you're visiting from England, it's a great taste of Americana! (but I guess all of WDW really is, isn't it?!):mickey:

Enjoy!

Thanks for the show tip. I'll make sure to add one to the list. As for Americana, coming through immigration control feels like good old fashioned USA to me :cool:

Rodders
10-22-2007, 04:48 AM
Wow! You hit all my favorites except for the Rose & Crown. We had not tried it until this past September. We won't miss it again! It and the Coral Reef were the two best meals we had in our 9 days at WDW! I highly recommend both! :mickey:

The R&C is one of the places that I am unlikely to go to. Not that I think it's bad in any way, infact I would imagine that it's great. The thing is, the nearest authentic English pub is only 300 yards from my house. :D I think that I can wait until I get home for Sheppard's Pie or Fish and Chips. Thanks for the tips though :thumbsup:

Rodders
10-22-2007, 04:52 AM
I second that!

Sold!! Thanks for the tip:thumbsup: Thanks for the review Natazu :thumbsup:

murphy1
10-22-2007, 07:17 AM
Congrats on your citizenship!! You probably know more about American History than most born here.

You must stop and have a Bass at the beer cart in UK pavilion, even if you don't eat there, I rate that as one of my must-dos at Epcot everytime!:mickey: I also agree on Boma and Hoop De Doo, both well worth it!

Rodders
10-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Congrats on your citizenship!! You probably know more about American History than most born here.

You must stop and have a Bass at the beer cart in UK pavilion, even if you don't eat there, I rate that as one of my must-dos at Epcot everytime!:mickey: I also agree on Boma and Hoop De Doo, both well worth it!

:blush: When I said immigration control I just meant to get into the country for my holiday (vacation). Sorry if I confused you. :blush: As much as I love the USA 2 weeks every other year suits me nicely right now. :mickey:

Go on then. I'll pop into the UK pavilion for a pint (or two) :beer::beer::thumbsup: It'll feel like home :D

murphy1
10-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Oh, no, my mistake, so sorry :blush: I do that sometimes!

You truly have the true pubs, you can skip the Bass, you get the real thing!! If you have any good tips for Ireland, please let me know, we are trying to plan a trip next June.

Floridian Yeti
10-22-2007, 10:52 AM
You've compiled a pretty impressive list!

I do agree that the UK beer cart in Epcot is not to be missed...we must replenish our fluids, etc. :beer: Plus I love the gals at the UK pavilion...those accents and smiles :cloud9:

I like the Mama Melrose/Fantasmic package - well done. We had a not so great experience at the Brown Derby, but...I assume it was just one of those things. It's an impressive restaurant, though. You can feel like a Hollywood movie exec making a big deal over lunch!

Some things you could do that are different...the buffets at Boma, and afternoon tea at the GF - my wife and daugthers loved it (and I did too, I have to admit).

Lastly, i recommend Crystal Palace as well - it's a MK tradition for our family. And it's very, well...American! :mickey:

(We used to love the smorgasbord at Akershus...haven't been there since the invasion of the princesses...)

poeticeclipse
10-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Keepers - Mama Melrose (great surprise for us)
- LeCellier
- 'Ohana
- Coral Reef

If you were going to knock any off, based on reviews I've read, I would say get rid of Tony's and Hollywood and Vine.

Replace those with Prime Time Cafe and Cape May Cafe

And in my opinion, whatever you do don't go to Crystal Palace. I've had two pretty bad visits here in the last 3 years.

Rodders
10-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Oh, no, my mistake, so sorry :blush: I do that sometimes!

You truly have the true pubs, you can skip the Bass, you get the real thing!! If you have any good tips for Ireland, please let me know, we are trying to plan a trip next June.

No probs. I frequently get the wrong end of the stick on forums. I'll probably give the Bass a whirl though. See how well they are keeping the ale there. :beer:

As for Ireland, I haven't been there. It's on my to do list so to speak. The countryside is to die for. I would certainly try Guiness and Murphys in a proper pub somewhere :beer: Where in Ireland are you planning to visit? Don't forget that you will need your passport to cross from South to North and vice versa. Also, if you are here for long enough then you can get a quick flight or ferry across to Liverpool. A great city, the duck tour is a fun way to see the place. It's one of the old landing crafts from WWII. They take you around the city past the cathedrals and past the Cavern club (of Beatles fame) and then drops down into the Albert Dock and sails around to see the Liver buildings.

And don't forget that we drive on the left over here. It's a brilliant way to wind up French tourists :thedolls:

Rodders
10-22-2007, 11:58 AM
You've compiled a pretty impressive list!

I do agree that the UK beer cart in Epcot is not to be missed...we must replenish our fluids, etc. :beer: Plus I love the gals at the UK pavilion...those accents and smiles :cloud9:

I like the Mama Melrose/Fantasmic package - well done. We had a not so great experience at the Brown Derby, but...I assume it was just one of those things. It's an impressive restaurant, though. You can feel like a Hollywood movie exec making a big deal over lunch!

Some things you could do that are different...the buffets at Boma, and afternoon tea at the GF - my wife and daugthers loved it (and I did too, I have to admit).

Lastly, i recommend Crystal Palace as well - it's a MK tradition for our family. And it's very, well...American! :mickey:

(We used to love the smorgasbord at Akershus...haven't been there since the invasion of the princesses...)

The list is based on wonderfull reviews and opinions on Intercot. It's great that people are good enough to share with my planning. :mickey:

I have already planned a few changes to the list. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup: :mickey:

Rodders
10-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Keepers - Mama Melrose (great surprise for us)
- LeCellier
- 'Ohana
- Coral Reef

If you were going to knock any off, based on reviews I've read, I would say get rid of Tony's and Hollywood and Vine.

Replace those with Prime Time Cafe and Cape May Cafe

And in my opinion, whatever you do don't go to Crystal Palace. I've had two pretty bad visits here in the last 3 years.

Thanks for that. It's so interesting to hear peoples honest reviews.

My DW and I are landing mid afternoon. The seed of a tradition that we planted on our first trip (Disneymoon) was to see Spectro and Wishes on our first night from the junction at the end of main street. I wanted something semi romantic and not far from MK for our first day. We love Italian and that's what drew us to Tony's. I have read mixed reviews on the place but I can't think of anywhere else with a pinch of romance. Does anyone have any suggestions in or near MK?

poeticeclipse
10-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Thanks for that. It's so interesting to hear peoples honest reviews.

My DW and I are landing mid afternoon. The seed of a tradition that we planted on our first trip (Disneymoon) was to see Spectro and Wishes on our first night from the junction at the end of main street. I wanted something semi romantic and not far from MK for our first day. We love Italian and that's what drew us to Tony's. I have read mixed reviews on the place but I can't think of anywhere else with a pinch of romance. Does anyone have any suggestions in or near MK?

MK is really tough because there isn't a ton of TS meals in MK but more around it. And for the good ones near by, well, you've got 'em! Maybe you would enjoy Chef Mickey's... I haven't been there but I haven't heard many bad reviews on it. Same with Whispering Canyon.