PDA

View Full Version : Starting Illuminations?

IloveJack
10-18-2007, 04:38 PM
I've read two trip reports today that said something about their child "starting illuminations." What is this? I didn't know anyone started it; I just thought it began when it was time. Just wondering... :confused:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-18-2007, 04:44 PM
I could be mistaken on this, but I believe CM's pick a child by all of the torches to have them blow out them out so that the storyteller can begin Illuminations.

I've only seen it done once, so I am not sure if it is for all the torches or just certain ones. The one I saw was by Japan. It's pretty cute, although...I've been "starting Illuminations" for years now. :D

MMouse6937
10-18-2007, 05:00 PM
As far as I know it's somewhat of the child "blows" and all the lanterns (lighting) goes out and thus they have "started" Illuminations.

ElenitaB
10-18-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm one of the guilty parties. :blush:

In 2000 and in 2001 my son was asked by the CMs at Rose & Crown where we were having dinner, to "start" Illuminations. With their help, he waved a wand up and down (just as the first drum beats start) to signal an "all clear." We saw a young child asked to do the same thing when we had dinner there last November, so apparently it's something that happens regularly, but only when the :pixie: is blowing your way.

Tink&Goofy
10-18-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm one of the guilty parties. :blush:

In 2000 and in 2001 my son was asked by the CMs at Rose & Crown where we were having dinner, to "start" Illuminations. With their help, he waved a wand up and down (just as the first drum beats start) to signal an "all clear." We saw a young child asked to do the same thing when we had dinner there last November, so apparently it's something that happens regularly, but only when the :pixie: is blowing your way.

This was our DD5 got to do during our Aug 06 trip. She genuinely though she had started them! The first blast scared her to death, and all I got for the picture was her ducking for cover, with HUGE eyes! :laughing:

martinfamily5
10-19-2007, 10:13 AM
My DD and DS got to start Spectro Magic several years ago. This was so neat for them. A head honcho CM called them out of the crowd and told them that on the count of 3 snap your fingers. When they did, the lights went out and the parade was started. They thought that it was so cool. And frankly, so did I. It brought tears to my eyes.

TheRustyScupper
10-19-2007, 11:50 AM
1) Unknown, but to a few, most events have a "starter".
2) Typically a child is selected to start the parade or fireworks.
3) It is a nice little touch of Disney.

NOTE: The wife and I were there one night to watch Wishes. We were near the "starter" location and watched a little both "start" Wishes. He really did think that it was he that got it going. Talk about a Kodak Moment.

TBY2225
10-19-2007, 03:33 PM
I might be one of the parties you are talking about. My DD5 got to "start" Illuminations last month. It was in Rose & Crown as well. She was approached, according to the CM, because of her being on her best behavior! She got to stand on a chair and wave a mickey sword around and around and the CM at the right time told her to point it in the sky! She really thinks she was the one to start the whole thing! It was truly magicial! She got a great certificate signed by lots of the staff and she still talks about it all the time!

offwego
10-19-2007, 05:18 PM
My ds "started" wishes from Cali Grill once (a big red button to push). Dh went with him (I stayed at the table and let him enjoy it on his own...it paid off with 6 more trips so it's evened out I'd say).

A big thrill but totally unpredictable!:mickey: