PDA

View Full Version : ABC Commisary

big blue and hairy
10-18-2007, 10:17 AM
DW and I have eaten at many counter service locations, and by and large been pretty pleased. We love Everything Pop. Last trip, we ate a ABC Commisary. It was awful! I got fish and chips, it was overly greasy, the chips were cold and tasteless. I don't remember what my wife got but she said it was also awful. Is that the norm for ABC? If WDW can get CS right in most of their places, what's the deal there? :ack:

:sulley:

disneymom15
10-18-2007, 11:08 AM
We've eaten there several times. It's always been good. I usually order the noodle stir fry.

Goofyjrzgrl
10-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Their chocolate pudding is great! haha
There really aren't too many other options for quick service in mgm anyway... mayber just stick to a burger and fries next time.

lightyearfan
10-18-2007, 12:48 PM
me and dw ate there on our past june trip, not because we wanted to , but because everything else was so crowed, anyway, we both got the fish and chips, and they were fine, i mean it's not the rose and crown or even columbia harbor house, but it was still good, maybe it was just an off day?

Victor

Sinewiz
10-18-2007, 12:52 PM
I've eaten there many times and always found the food more than adequate. Sorry your experience wasn't as good.

Kairi_7378
10-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Had the chicken curry when we were there this month. It was good (not something I'd go out of my way to get but it was good). We got the chocolate pudding and shared it while waiting for Fantasmic.

Princess'Mom
10-18-2007, 12:54 PM
The food has always been good for us when we go. Must have been an off day. I've tried their vegetable noodle box as well as the chicken curry. Both were pretty tasty!

#1donaldfan
10-18-2007, 12:55 PM
I'd have to say with our experience there, yours would be the excpetion, not the norm.....we've always great food there....sorry you didn't like it.......:thumbsup:

big blue and hairy
10-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Maybe we'll try it again somewhere down the line, but I'm sure it will be a while. The food was really bad. I hope you're right and it was a one shot deal, but you know what they say about first impressions....

SurferStitch
10-18-2007, 01:35 PM
We've eaten there several times. It's always been good. I usually order the noodle stir fry.

I love that noodle stir fry. I've had it several times, and it's really good.

DH and I have always had great meals there. No complaints. We love the fish and chips...has always been hot and crispy for us. Sounds like you just had bad luck...I would have taken it back for a fresh one.

#1donaldfan
10-18-2007, 02:13 PM
I know what your saying about 1st impressions....we had a 1st and horrible experience at 50's prime time.....yuck, yuck, yuck...and that's very, very much different than the post's and reviews I've read on 'em.....

KarenP
10-18-2007, 02:14 PM
I just ate there last week. I had the Cuban sandwich. It was good not great. I had the chocolate mousse for dessert and it was fine. Overall, it was what I expected for counter service.

ElenitaB
10-18-2007, 06:09 PM
After a few so-so experiences at the ABC Commissary, we now stick to breakfast there (which is very generous and good). For lunch, it's the Backlot Express (though one of these days we'll try Starring Rolls or even head over to Beaches & Cream at the Beach Club).

SgtTigger
10-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Last trip, we ate a ABC Commisary. It was awful! I got fish and chips, it was overly greasy, the chips were cold and tasteless.

Funny I have not stepped foot inside of this place for years now and way back then I had the same problem........
It is a must stay away from on our list..... It is the worst place we have ever had a meal at Disney World......

:cop: :tigger:

jillluvsdisney
10-18-2007, 10:53 PM
I think all the counter services at MGM are gross. I'd put ABC at the top of the list. Unless we have an ADR at that park, we don't eat a meal there. We just snack.

GrmGrninGost
10-18-2007, 11:22 PM
We have had bad experiences at the ABC Commissary also. The food was just awful! We now go to the Backlot Express.

SAHDad
10-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Maybe we'll try it again somewhere down the line, but I'm sure it will be a while. The food was really bad. I hope you're right and it was a one shot deal, but you know what they say about first impressions....

On my first trip to WDW, I had a very bad experience involving the food at ABC. Bad enough that I probably should have complained (and seen a doctor), and certainly bad enough that I doubt I will eat there again.

Jared
10-19-2007, 12:56 AM
I can't eat counter service at the Disney-MGM Studios anymore, and ABC Comissary is just one of the reasons. All of the restaurants are bad. Seriously, I rarely visit the park anymore. First, fix the attractions. Second, build a good counter service restaurant.

Mickey 101
10-19-2007, 01:04 AM
We usually hit ABC Commissary at some point in our trip, but the food has never been great. This month we re-tried Starring Rolls after a recommendation here on Intercot (I believe it was from Nahtazu). Anyway......they've kicked it up several notches and the sandwiches there were excellent. It was turkey, fresh mozzarella, guacamole (I think) on focaccia bread. However, ABC Commissary did serve a useful purpose. It was too hot to use the outdoor seating at SR, so we carried our food over to ABC which had ample seating in air-conditioned comfort!

GreenEggsandHamurabi
10-19-2007, 04:02 AM
The ABC is the only place eatery at the World at which I will not eat. I've tried to be fair, but it is just really bad food. :ack:

mudpuppysmom
10-19-2007, 08:56 AM
DS and I ate there last December and we won't be going back either. The food was just nasty! We waited in line to order forrrrrEVER then once we sat down, which was easy -- there was plenty of seating in the AC--we tried to eat our dinner. DS just protested to the degree he said if he ate that food he'd be sick. I tried his meal and he was right -- it tasted like it was old and very very salty! My sandwich (Cuban) was not much better. It was like they had it laying around in the back since lunch and picked it up and threw it on a plate. It was bad.

We've been trying to try new things at the Studios as far as meals go, but we'll be back to Backlot Express when we go in January!! Someone did say try Pizza Planet, but I'm not sure I want to venture to something else we don't know about for sure.

SAHDad
10-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Someone did say try Pizza Planet, but I'm not sure I want to venture to something else we don't know about for sure.
My wife and I have eaten at Pizza Planet several times. While it has never been great food, it's been at least average, and the value isn't bad. If we eat a CS meal at MGM, that's the one we do.

EPCOT84
10-19-2007, 06:35 PM
It is a nice place to take a cool break. The salad was good. We didn't get any of the fried foods so we cannot say if it was a one-time thing. I was curious about some of the more "exotic" dishes, the noodle soup and the chicken curry, but didn't try it. Yes, Columbia Harbor House is better.:mickey:

big blue and hairy
10-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Someone did say try Pizza Planet, but I'm not sure I want to venture to something else we don't know about for sure.

We haven't done the Backlot Express, but we did go to Pizza Planet, it was pretty good.

Natazu
10-20-2007, 10:08 AM
As a general rule, we skip ABC. There's just nothing about it that appeals to me except the A/C.
Studio Catering Co and Starring Rolls have great sandwiches so we tend to hit those places. In fact, I'll be on my way to DS for lunch at Starring Rolls in just a few minutes. They certainly have the best desserts at DS.

Stan
10-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Back in May I had a wonderful breakfast at ABCC of pancakes & sausage. Recently I was there again looking for the same thing, and the breakfast menu had been gutted- only hot choice was an egg/bacon bagel. CM who took my order said he used to cook those pancakes, and he agreed they were good. He suggested I complain to Guest Services (which I did not do- shame on me). It's pretty bad when you're wishing you were at a McDonalds. :(

Sorry but I have to at least partially blame this one on the Dining Plan. While I was standing there I watched several families order using DP credits (not that they had much of a choice- there weren't even any children's items). So this place (and many others?) will stay busy and make their (internal Disney funny?) money whether folks find the menu interesting or not. What they were serving was OK (I opted for a fruit cup- didn't want the bagel), it just bugs me that at DIsney World a manager found it acceptable to downgrade the selections at a major food place and apparently no one else stepped up to say, "Hey, we don't do things like that around here!". Well, I guess they do these days. :( (need an "un-magic" icon here)

EPCOT84
10-21-2007, 08:36 PM
Sorry but I have to at least partially blame this one on the Dining Plan.

:ditto:
My sentiments exactly. I realized the crowds at even the so-so places were because they sort of had to eat there, not that they chose to eat there. Of course, there are options but when a traveller is a newbie, unlike Intercotees, it looks like the only place in to town.

Its a good value to be in the DDP but when it forces business, like a school cafeteria program, it creates its own unique market conditions.