PDA

View Full Version : Table Crashers!!

Minnie4me
10-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Hi All,

My wife and I just got back from Disney.

First let me say that my wife and I are very private people. We don't bother other people and we don't want others to bother us. Plain and simple.

Yes, I am unsociable.

While we were at Disney we had a couple occasions to eat at some counter service restaurants.

We were happily enjoying each others company when another person(s) approached us and asked if anyone else was sitting at our table (usually 2 or 3 empty chairs).

We said no because we really don't want to lie or be rude, but personally I would never ask to sit at someone else's table.

This is one reason we don't do cruises. Usually you have to dine with strangers at your table. I just do not like that AT ALL. :mad:

I feel they need to wait for a table the same as I did and not infringe. Even though Disney is crowded, when I eat, I like my space.

Does anyone else feel the same...or differ??

SBETigg
10-17-2007, 03:34 PM
It depends on crowds. I'm willing to share if there is a definite lack of seating and there's space at my table. I would rather not share, sure, but given the space issues at some counter service places, I have no problem doing it when necessary. We might even offer before being asked if someone looks needy of seating and willing to share with us.

When we were honeymooning (17 years ago now) we really cherished our privacy and we were having a nice table service meal at Rose & Crown when a couple came over from the pub area and just plunked down at our table! It blew us away. But we finished our meal and didn't say anything. Funny but as I get older, things like this bother me less and less.

EeyoresBestFriend
10-17-2007, 03:39 PM
My DH and I are a twosome and, gratefully, have never had to deal with that situation at WDW. We are both very social people, but prefer our private time at meals and such. And, I hate to say, but I would say "no" to people wishing to join us at our table. They are welcome to take a chair(s), but not to intrude on our personal space. Most of the time, we eat and vacate the space, we do not tend to linger - after all, we're at WDW - we have better places to be than a table.:)
And in the same token, I would never ask either.

Six more months for us!:mickey:

Ian
10-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Generally, I don't mind sharing space with other guests if it's really crowded, but I do agree that if it was me I'd just wait rather than intrude on someone else's meal.

If I'm somewhere like Teppan Edo where it's expected, that's one thing. Not sure I'd be so bold at somewhere like Cosmic Ray's.

prprincess
10-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Depends on my mood, too. If I am at an extremely crowded place, then I will definitely be willing to share, and I will ask to share. But if there is space, then there's no reason to.

But I laughed at your comment about the cruise. When hubby and I went on ours, that was one thing that we were not looking forward to--eating with strangers. But we had no choice, as we didn't make arrangements for a private table ahead of time. And to tell you the truth, it wasn't bad at all.

We consider ourselves pretty anti-social, too, but we are starting to find that when we force ourselves to be social, it usually turns out to be something that we enjoyed.

krose78
10-17-2007, 04:01 PM
This is one reason we don't do cruises. Usually you have to dine with strangers at your table. I just do not like that AT ALL. :mad:

You should try norwegian CL you don't have to sit with anyone at dinner and for that matter there is no specific dinner time. Just FYI.

mttafire
10-17-2007, 04:06 PM
I completey agree with ya. I couldnt imagine asking someone i didnt know to eat besides them. As others have stated..The ARE certain places where this is normal..Thats fine.:thumbsup:

tomorrowschild
10-17-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm the same as you, I would not like to share my table. I have never experienced this at Disney, and we have been at some very busy times. We do eat at off times though. On the other hand I am sure my brother and dad would not mind at all, they are very social people. To each his own. :mickey:

MsMin
10-17-2007, 04:28 PM
In Dec. 06 I asked when it was very crowded but it was 2 ppl who were finished (napkins in their plates) and just reading a map and the table seated 10 so we had 4 seats btwn us. Not ideal but I've also offered the end of our table if we had more space than needed. I don't see a CS as a time for intimacy- the other tables are so close anyway. We probably had more space than you would with the surrounding tables but you have to respect the boundaries as well- not intrude on conversations etc. IMO -If it's 2 ppl at a table that sits 4 then yes you deserve the space moreover 2 who sit at a table that seats 10 -then you have to expect a little intrusion or wait for a smaller table- which may not be an option.
Often their food is getting cold and I would feel better sharing than to have someone sit on the ground.

TBY2225
10-17-2007, 04:30 PM
I can see where you are coming from, but because I had a very good experience on a cruise ship sharing a table I feel a little different. I was very worried about sharing a table and tried to request a private one with no luck. I usually keep to myself too! The couple we ended up with at our table we found to have alot in common with. We ended up after that first meal spending the rest of our vacation together and now we are great friends! You never know who you will meet! Yes, you might not get as lucky as we did! ;) But, you never know! Hopefully they are in Disney for the same reason you are and you might just hit it off!

Hayden's Dad
10-17-2007, 04:35 PM
As my DW tells me GET OUT OF MY BUBBLE! :D During meal time is our time that is one reason we have avoided Biergarten we are both fairly shy and keep to ourselves.

DizNee143
10-17-2007, 04:38 PM
i would never in a million years do that...
and if someone cared to do that to me..id look at them weridand be like uhh what are you doing?? you are so not part of my family...
wait your turn...tables become free like every minute...that just seems extremely weird to me...no thank you..

Disnamic Duo
10-17-2007, 04:46 PM
I'd gladly share my table if it was real crowded and someone asked. Although I LOVE being with just my wife, and having quiet meals together, I also love other people, and can adapt and enjoy their company too. MY family is not the only one that matters. I think if other people could take on this type of thinking they'd be pleasantly surprised.

crazeedizneefinatic
10-17-2007, 04:48 PM
I personally feel that at counter service places if the table is big enough for 6-8 and only 2 are sitting it is not inappropriate to ask to sit at the end of the table. Now a table for 4 I do feel would be a little too intimate and would move along until we found something a little larger. I am in no way judging you or your wife but I had to wonder why someone sitting next to you at a CS restaurant bothered you? Did they want to start a conversation and interrupt your meal, did they evesdrop on your private conversation? Past bad experience? WDW seems such a crowded place to visit for someone that is uncomfortable with tight crowds. Do you or your wife feel the same way standing in crowded lines and que areas for the rides? Again, I am not judging you or your wife and don't mean to come across as such but I am truly intrigued with this topic.

Lynn J Mc
10-17-2007, 04:57 PM
I never table-crash but always welcome people who do to sit down. I have met some interesting people this way. And in other places besides DW. We were visiting Charleston SC when there was a large table in a small restaurant open but there was no party of 6. So one guy in line got us and another party of two together and we made our own party of 6. Instant seating! We had a great time getting to know the others.

MMouse6937
10-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Yikes, I never really thought about it as an infringement of my personal space.

This last trip we were at blizzard beach and two young girls asked if they could share our table since it was just DH and I. I said sure and we had a nice conversation about them being locals and coming to the water park whenever. They asked if we had rode Everest yet, etc. It was a nice conversation and I never really thought about it again until now. I wouldn't want someone to just sit down but I would think if they asked and we weren't expecting anyone else, I don't see the harm in it. Most of the time, that's how I meet the most interesting people. Plus, I figure I'm at Disney and most people are happy and friendly anyways.

DisneyDudet
10-17-2007, 05:48 PM
Generally, I don't mind sharing space with other guests if it's really crowded, but I do agree that if it was me I'd just wait rather than intrude on someone else's meal.

If I'm somewhere like Teppan Edo where it's expected, that's one thing. Not sure I'd be so bold at somewhere like Cosmic Ray's.

I agree with you, Ian. There's a time and place for it. Since there's usually 3 of us, this doesn't normally happen. We have offered our table as we were leaving before, but would never think of asking if we could sit at a table with others!

Melanie
10-17-2007, 06:53 PM
When we were honeymooning (17 years ago now) we really cherished our privacy and we were having a nice table service meal at Rose & Crown when a couple came over from the pub area and just plunked down at our table! It blew us away.

That blows me away! Wow. :nono:

We've never had this happen to us, and I certainly wouldn't think of asking someone to sit at their table either. I'm really not sure what I'd say to someone who asked to sit at our table. :unsure:

BoomNLeon
10-17-2007, 07:12 PM
This just happened to us at Pizzafari. We were more than happy to let the Mom and her 2 kids sit while they waited for Dad to come with the food (the line was really long). I could tell Mom was frazzled with her 2 kids suffering from DADHD (Disney Attention Deficit Disorder). I was able to get the latest dirt on the character breakfast at Chef Mickey's and the MNSSHP from the kids while Mom looked on with relief. I could tell she was feeling as awkward as we were.

Hey - it's not the best situation to have someone you don't know sit with you, but it can be part of the MAGIC. :pirate:

mermaidmarian
10-17-2007, 07:27 PM
I personally feel that at counter service places if the table is big enough for 6-8 and only 2 are sitting it is not inappropriate to ask to sit at the end of the table.

I share your opinion here. We have been asked in the past to share our table and have been pleased to make room for others because, I really can't imagine someone asking to sit with strangers if there were other options available. I've never had a problem with it and I think it is just what you do, same as having to ride share when appropriate. :mickey: However, I have never asked to sit at another persons table because I fear most people would be antagonistic to the request and I am pretty sure the latent hostility would upset my appetite. :(

Minnie4me
10-17-2007, 07:37 PM
I am in no way judging you or your wife but I had to wonder why someone sitting next to you at a CS restaurant bothered you? Did they want to start a conversation and interrupt your meal, did they evesdrop on your private conversation? Past bad experience? WDW seems such a crowded place to visit for someone that is uncomfortable with tight crowds. Do you or your wife feel the same way standing in crowded lines and que areas for the rides?

Let me try to answer your questions....

On this past trip for example, the first offense (yes, I look at it as an offense) took place at the Fish & Chip's CS (Can't recall the name) outside of the Rose & Crown. The tables are round so we had to sit there looking right at them, and hearing their chatter while we were trying to enjoy our meal. Those two things alone would probably bother just about anybody. Not to mention that it is just rude to invite oneself to join you at meal time. Even though they ask, I still view it as inviting themselves.

As far as evesdropping on our private conversation, the fact that they were there basically forced us to limit our conversations because we didn't want them to listen in. It made us feel rushed to finish and leave.

As for past experiences....Yes, this has also happened on past trips. Didn't like it then either.

Ride queue's....my wife and I seldom get on the rides. She gets motion sickness. However, we aren't old fuddie duddies either (40's). We mainly get on slow rides such as Haunted Mansion, etc. The queue's don't bother us. We know there are line and we expect that. Lines are normal. People wanting to join you for breakfast, lunch, or dinner isn't. IMHO

I guess one thing that urk's me (for a lack of a better expression) is what I view to be a growing sense of "Entitlement" that a lot of people in todays society have. It "seems" that more and more people nowdays have no regard for other people and their space. I don't mean to come out cynical. I really am a very positive person. I just wish that manners and politeness would come back in style.

By the way...we were eating at a CS restaurant during our last visit and saw a father and daughter waiting for a table. We told them that they could sit with us, and they did.

Itry to be polite and show manners. I just don't think it is right for people to impose.

Whew...didn't mean to be so long winded.

By the way....I love reading everyone's comments. Very interesting.

LizLovesDiz
10-17-2007, 07:51 PM
When we were looking for a table at the outside part of The Rose and Crown,this sweet little old couple waved for DH and I to join them at their table.We both thought that that was so sweet of them,but I would never just ask someone if I could sit with them,ewww thats just rude I think !:mad:

jillluvsdisney
10-17-2007, 07:59 PM
I can be anti social , so I know where you are coming from. I would not have a problem shring my table with other people at all however. Being at Disney makes me open up a little bit and want to smile and talk to people. My Dad always strikes up conversations with people. Sometimes you meet and learn neat stuff abut other people.

Deesdisney
10-17-2007, 08:08 PM
I am very shy and my dh loves our privacy. But this has never happened to us because I will not go during crowded tiimes. Another reason this would not happen because there always at least 5 or more people with us.

AbeeNormal
10-17-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm not sure if we are aloud to mention names of stores but here goes.......... :secret:

This sometimes happens at our local Costco and I do find myself inviting people to sit if we are at a large table with plenty of room because that's all there is. I have met some really neat people that way. Just feels neighborly when appropriate.:thumbsup:

I do totally see where you are coming from though someone asking to join a small table would make me a little uncomortable as well, and I'm very outgoing. Not that your not either it just sounds as if you enjoy your solice.:)

FLPasHldrs
10-17-2007, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=Minnie4me;1449621]Let me try to answer your questions....

I guess one thing that urk's me (for a lack of a better expression) is what I view to be a growing sense of "Entitlement" that a lot of people in todays society have. It "seems" that more and more people nowdays have no regard for other people and their space. I don't mean to come out cynical. I really am a very positive person. I just wish that manners and politeness would come back in style.

I'm not sure what nationality this couple was, but there are some countries that don't know what personal space is. I've lived in Germany and England and it took some getting used to. People from all over the globe visit WDW and they bring their lifestyle with them. I have had two experiences where this has happened. First one was at the commissary at MGM. I was sitting at a 6 top (only thing available) waiting for my husband. A family of four, from India, sat down. Didn't ask and didn't speak a lick of english. I felt uncomfortable since I was sitting next to the wall. I just got up and moved to a smaller table that had opened up. It was probably rude, but my husband would have had to crawl over them to get to his seat. The second time was at Pinocchio's. An elderly couple asked if they could join us. We said sure, and ended up having a lovely conversation. They were there on their 50th wedding anniversary. They never had been there before and we were able to give them suggestions to make their trip more memerable.

:mickey:

Jared
10-17-2007, 09:02 PM
I've never had anybody approach my family and ask to sit at our table. Taking the extra chairs is appropriate, but I wouldn't want anybody actually joining our group.

Sorry if I sound rude or unsocial, but the concept seems strange. I suppose if a small group is sitting at a very large table, it's fine to take the other end, but to intrude on somebody else's meal seems wrong.

tinksmom02
10-17-2007, 09:35 PM
I've had people ask for the extra chairs at our table, but never to sit with us. Although, when we ate at Pinnochio's Village Haus, there were people literally hovering over the tables, standing over the people, watching them eat and waiting for them to finish their meals and leave, so they could take their tables. That was mighty uncomfortable.

The tables at the food court at my local mall are set up cafeteria-style, long rows of tables pushed together. I have no problem asking people sitting if they're using the other chairs when it's crowded, BUT I always try to leave at least one chair between them and me and DD.

wendy*darling
10-17-2007, 10:08 PM
It looks like I am in the minority here. I do not mind this at all.
I guess it has happened to me about once or twice on every trip. Not much, but more often than in my "non-Disney everyday life."
I am not terribly outgoing, but I do try to smile at people and if they start a conversation I will respond in kind. I have had many enjoyable conversations in a ride queue or at a CS table at WDW with total strangers.

I have also found that most people who have asked to share my table do seem to be from other countries. Not always, but more than half the time.
And at very busy times, I have asked to share a table with others.

There's kind of a dance that occurs first.
I would never barge in on a family who appeared to be deep in conversation. But when they are eating and looking around- you kind of catch their eye- you can tell if it's OK to ask. Same thing if I am at the table and I see others looking for a seat. If I catch their eye- they may ask, or I may smile and invite them. But we've already made the connection.

But I do know it does not always happen like this. People from some other countries- and even from some busy US cities- are very comfortable sitting where there is an open seat. No need to ask. Like getting on a bus or commuter train in the morning rush. It's every man for himself. I liken it to that kind of mind set.

I understand that many Americans feel the need to have their "space" and sharing a table at a meal violates that space.
So I also think it's OK to say no if you don't want someone to sit with you.

#1donaldfan
10-17-2007, 10:10 PM
We love meeting new people and learning about different places and culture. Before the kids, and while in the military, we traveled all around the world, visited numerous different countries. Personally, while eating, I would feel "out of pocket", but if someone asked I'd say sure, why not?? I don't think I'd do it, I can't see asking someone who's eating, "can I use your table too?" I feel like you miss out on so much if you don't stick you head out of the shell once in awhile. I dare say everyone we've met at Disney was because of not being "shy" or intraverted. :mickey:

garymacd
10-17-2007, 10:27 PM
I would never just plunk myself down at someone else's table without asking.

Common courtesy says you should ask if the space is free and ask if the people would mind sharing. Miss Manners would be rolling over in her grave, if she was dead.

Like others, I would never do this unless space was at a premium. Usually, we look for little old ladies sitting alone at the mall and ask if we could join her. We have had some great conversations with these old girls and loved every minute of it.

On an unrelated note, I can't believe how many people posted in this thread stating they love going to Disney alone with just their beloved spouse and enjoying their togetherness. I thought that was just my beloved and me!

conorsmom2000
10-17-2007, 10:39 PM
I've never even thought about this type of thing happening! :confused:

I definitely would be annoyed if someone just sat down - but, if they asked, I would probably say yes. Mike and I are definitely private people (anti-social depends on the situation) though, I guess we're both a little more outgoing on vacation as it's kind of "well, we'll never see them again anyway...." :D I also come from a large family so I'm more used to various unexpected people at dinner! I don't know - it would really depend on the situation. If it was one of those times where we are all exhausted and in desperate need of some Disney down time, I'd definitely be more hesitant about it. Personally, though, I can't imagine myself asking anyone if we could share their table - that would just seem odd.

GrmGrninGost
10-17-2007, 11:43 PM
How strange! I would be most upset under these circumstances. My family and I go to WDW ( and other places) to be together, to interact as a family. I cannot imagine sharing our table with strangers who were not invited. To my mind, that is the epitomy of rudeness! I was raised to believe time at the table is family time. Even at WDW, that is the one time you can sit down, relax and talk about what has happened and plan for later. I hope this never happens to us! In all my trips to WDW I've never seen it crowded enough that I would think anyone would have to sit at another families table. I've had to wait maybe 5 minutes before, but something always opens up. I don't think I'm unsociable, but I am private about my meals.

KODABEAR
10-18-2007, 01:56 AM
DH and I will invite people looking for table's during busy times to sit with us. We've met some wonderful people!:mickey:

LibertyTreeGal
10-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Not meaning to be unkind, but if it was just me and DH at a large table and it was crowded, I would just have the expectation of myself to share it. I often, when sitting at a larger table (I only do it when nothing else is available), will be looking at people going by with trays and ask if they need someplace to sit.

I have carried trays with my twin boys in tow and seen two people sitting at tables meant for more, who have long since finished eating, and it is very frustrating when your kids are hungry. Not saying you were doing that, but this world is big enough for everyone and I don't expect to be alone unless I am actually paying for the table ;)

bleukarma
10-18-2007, 09:13 AM
If I were sitting at a big table and there were tons of extra seats and it was crowded then I wouldn’t have a problem with it. But if it was a small table then I would probably like to enjoy my privacy with my family more. I would never ask though, I’m just not that type of outgoing person.

TheDuckRocks
10-18-2007, 09:16 AM
Our first trip to WDW we went to the Fountainview Cafe and I just zipped up on my ECV to a table and plopped myself and hubby down with this complete couple of strangers..........Oh! wait a minute that was Marilyn Michette from here at Intercot and her husband Tom.:D If any of you ever get a chance to meet them, do so. They are every bit as nice as she is in her posts.
I talk to everyone! I talk to people at parades, on the buses, boats and monorails, while standing in lines, while sitting at shared tables at restaurants like the Biergarten. OK, you get the idea I really like people in general and am not very shy.
If somebody just came and sat down at my table during a meal without asking, I would not be a happy camper. If they asked if they could sit I would have no problem, I'd love to have you join us.
One of my biggest "I'm to shy" regrets was a couple of years ago at LLT there was a couple there with their son who I just knew was Conorsmom/Jen and I didn't go up and ask her if it was. Seeing pictures of them later I found out I should have gone with my gut feeling....it was them.:(
Would I ever, ever ask anyone else if I could share their table? No.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-18-2007, 09:17 AM
I've had this happen to me a couple of times at the food court at the mall back home, but never at Disney!

I hated it back home too...didn't like people plunking themselves down beside me, just felt too close, and I felt like we had to be careful what we said and how we said it. Not fun!

Now, we've been at large outdoor events, where they have HUGE long tables...when we sit down, we try and leave enough room between us and the other groups. Any meal time is a "family" time for us...

RobWreck
10-18-2007, 09:48 AM
Darn, I guess that I must have missed something with the DDP. I didn't realize that it actually gave you a possessory interest in 'your table' that allowed you to exclude other people from using unused space. ;) Seriously though, while it's rude to just 'plop down' without asking permission, at a counter service restaurant those seats are intended for the use of all the guests there. Some people have raised 'how rude' it is for people to 'invite themselves' to sit down at 'their table'. Instead, how about looking at how presumptuous it is and what sort of overdeveloped sense of self-importance people have to hold it against othes looking to utilize unused limited resources provided for their convenience? For people that are so anti-social that they can't share common space provided for all guests' usage, perhaps they should be the ones who wait for 'a table for 2' (or the appropriate number) to open up instead of taking one that can accommodate more people. Then they get their privacy and their insecurity issues don't intrude on other guests rights to fair usage of the facilities.
Rob
(Always willing to help out when he can...)

vicster
10-18-2007, 10:07 AM
When you're on vacation at WDW how can you let anything bother you? IMOI think the rudeness is when you don't offer extra space at your table when other people are waiting for one. I understand you want your privacy (and there's plenty of time for that) but put yourself in others' shoes. What if you're the one waiting for a table and someone offerred to share theirs with you? That's happened to me many times and I enjoyed great conversations with them. I guess you don't like to eat at Biergarten where you actually share a table with strangers. We've met many nice people there.

I also saw a lot of rudeness on busses when we were there last month. People would actually let a woman holding a young child stand and try to hold onto her child and a railing rather than offer her their seat.

Marker
10-18-2007, 10:51 AM
I have no problem whatsoever in sharing my table, in fact I typically find it rather enjoyable. I enjoy talking to people I don't know, to me it's part of the fun of WDW. But then, I talk to strangers where ever I go, while waiting in lines, on the busses, or just sitting on a bench.

Now, that being said, typically I won't impose on someone by asking if I can sit with them. Occasionally, like say 2 people at a table for 6 or 8, I would probably ask. Or at places where the table are basically table for 2 pushed toghether, I might ask to use one of the tables. Or if there is absolutely NO other place to sit, I might consider asking. But otherwise, I wouldn't choose to impose.

However, if I'm sitting and see someone, or a couple looking for seats and I have extras, I'll offer them up. And if seat are offered to me, I have no problem using them.

We ate at the Biergarten for the first time on our last trip, and I thought it was great that they sit you with other people.

garymacd
10-18-2007, 11:26 AM
I just have to add one more thing about Food Court etiquette. Every year my family and very close family friends attend the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto. One building of the exhibition is dedicated to food. There are small knots of tables throughout the building and very little place to cop a squat on the grounds outside the building, so seats are at a premium all day.

Sometimes, we end up hovering over people who are just about finished their meals with our trays of food in our hands, kinda like vultures. Rude? Nah, as someone else posted, it's every man for himself!

Other times we have seen a family get up and leave making enough room for all twelve of us (various and sundry bf's and gf's are now included in these outings). When that happens, one of us usually dives onto the empty seats and yells, "Quick! Go get some food!"

Just had to add a little light humour to a situation that seems to be coming polarised into two heavily armed camps.:blush:

mjaclyn
10-18-2007, 12:37 PM
I think there is a huge difference between asking to sit at someone's table and being asked to sit with them. If DH and I have room at our table and see others waiting with food, I may feel compelled to invite them over to join us, or at least hurry a little so they can have our table. I wouldn't like it if someone were to come and ask me to sit at our table (if it was a small table). If it's a huge table and DH and I are on one end I wouldn't mind if others were at the opposite end. I dont' really like eating with strangers - we've always avoided places like Biergarten and when we did go (once) we really didn't enoy it.

January-2007
10-18-2007, 02:31 PM
I have to disagree with the original poster. If you didn't want other people to sit at your table you should say that. I think it's good to share large tables though. While on our Honeymoon in January DH and I asked to join a few people at a large table during breakfast hours at the Pop Century food court because there were literally no other seats. Our room was too far away to eat in and we wanted to get to the parks. I think if you really want a table all to yourselves you should try to get a table that only seats however many people you are eating with. Maybe put a sweater over the other seat? Sorry you were uncomfortable, but sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do. Oh, and we asked before we sat down.

Minnie4me
10-18-2007, 03:25 PM
I have to disagree with the original poster. If you didn't want other people to sit at your table you should say that. I think it's good to share large tables though. While on our Honeymoon in January DH and I asked to join a few people at a large table during breakfast hours at the Pop Century food court because there were literally no other seats. Our room was too far away to eat in and we wanted to get to the parks. I think if you really want a table all to yourselves you should try to get a table that only seats however many people you are eating with. Maybe put a sweater over the other seat? Sorry you were uncomfortable, but sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do. Oh, and we asked before we sat down.

Hats, bags, jackets....been there done that. Tried that at Japan this past rip, and still had table crashers.

Trust me, I have no problem with telling someone "No". Plus being a fairly large guy 6'3" 240+ I usually don't get a lot of back talk if I do tell someone "No".

However, I am at Disney and really don't want to make a bad experience for someone, even if they are behaving in a way I feel is wrong.

I am lucky enough to go fairly often, some people have saved for years to go to Disney. I really wouldn't want to tarnish their experience by being a jerk.

WheresWalt
10-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Maybe I am odd but I LOVE sharing a table with other folks. I have been known to see a stranded family with trays in hand and hungry kids in tow and invite them to sit down at our overly ample table.

Momma always said I could talk the ears off a brick wall too so just beware, if you come to my table and sit down, I will talk to you.. a lot!!:D:mickey:

EeyoresBestFriend
10-18-2007, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't take a large table ( for 6 or more) for two of us and if i was at one - the other end is fair game. For me, eating habits would be the bothersome issue. Not everyone has, IMHO, good table manners and eating habits - so I don't want them next to me. Likewise, they might not like mine.
At Pecos Bills, many a time, it has been packed when we get there. We wait, order and watch (from a polite distance) for the next available spot then pounce!:mickey:
If we are preparing to leave, I will often catch the eye of someone 'searching' and let them know we are in the process of vacating the space.

CandleontheWater
10-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Gosh, I didn't realize that people would feel so strongly about this. If any of you are looking for a table in a packed CS dining room, you can feel free to come sit with me, because I don't care in the slighest! I think part of the fun at Disney is meeting new people and having nice conversations. :)

IloveDisney71
10-18-2007, 07:09 PM
I also love to meet new people at Disney when I'm waiting at a bus stop, in a ride line, on the bus, waiting for a show to start, etc. However, I wouldn't like sharing a table with someone I didn't know. That would be really weird to me. My husband is one who can talk the ears off someone, but he is also a germ freak, so if someone had really bad table manners, he would hate it.

mrs.jacksparrow
10-18-2007, 10:08 PM
I so felt like not sharing my table ever until I went to the 96 Olympic games in Atlanta. 10 days there fixed My "I want my space and need it now attitude". The huge amount of multi cultural attendees in very very crowded food venues taught me to share. The french, germans, africans, asians you name it just sat down many without even a "Would you mind?" At first I was like hey wait a minute and then I realized how much I got from it.... a little good Karma, good vibes etc. If I want privacy, ADR at a sit down. I was in Disney just last week..some of the counter service places were so busy we just walked out. I personally would have felt guilty to have a table with just me and my son and not share. IMHO only.:thumbsup:

jkj1224
10-18-2007, 11:45 PM
I guess I've travelled to enough countries where it's common to eat with people you don't know that it wouldn't really occur to me that it should bother me for someone to ask to join me. I definately think it's polite to ask before you sit down at someone's table, but you never know where and when you're going to make new friends, and where better than WDW :)

Mickey91
10-19-2007, 12:03 AM
There is absolutely no reason why a family cannot share a private meal at a counter service. Talk about self importance...I cannot imagine thinking myself so much above everyone else that I could just plop down at any vacant seat. HOW RUDE!!!!!!! Obviously some people were not brought up with manners. I will have no problem what so ever telling someone, "Sorry but this seat's taken" to have my meal with my family. You wouldn't sit down with another family uninvited at McDonalds and you would probably demand a manager if you went to the Outback and had a couple seated with you since you were at such a large booth. Just because it is Disney doesn't mean all rules of etiquette are thrown out the window!! We all paid through the nose to be there and we should all have the type of vacation we invisioned. For me, it does not include eating with strangers that were uninvited. And just a quick note, I am sure that when Minnie4me was asked if the seats were taken, they probably expected them to take the seats to another table, not plop down at their's. There is a difference. We have had this happen many times and it is perfectly acceptable. If you don't mind having perfect strangers share a meal with you then that's okay and my hat goes off to you. But, for me, I prefer to have a private family meal.

LibertyTreeGal
10-19-2007, 08:20 AM
I guess I've travelled to enough countries where it's common to eat with people you don't know that it wouldn't really occur to me that it should bother me for someone to ask to join me. I definately think it's polite to ask before you sit down at someone's table, but you never know where and when you're going to make new friends, and where better than WDW :)

This is off topic and has nothing to do with the original post, but it reminded me of something. When I was at Biergarten in 2004 with all my aunts and female cousins, there were two more slots at the end of the long table. They seated a couple with us who were VERY UPSET that they couldn't have a table to themselves, so much so that they complained the whole meal. I was grateful when the music started up. But I had to laugh -- at Biergarten that's the way the seating is! Ah well.

Rodders
10-19-2007, 08:57 AM
I do think it all depends on the situation. I don't mind sharing but prefer not to. If a place is packed then I think it's to be expected. If you want to have personal or family space then I'm not sure that Disney is the right place to go for it. CS locations can be bad for personal space at the best of times but in somewhere as popular as Disney it's even more so. If you feel that you have a right to your own table then I would hope that you choose to book a TS where possible. It is a shame because I know what people mean about family time around the table.

As for asking if I can share myself, I would only do it if getting a table was proving to be very difficult. Then I would try to ask in such a way that the person could refuse without embarasment. To plop down without asking is just not on IMO.

It's really interesting to hear peoples different views on this matter. Thanks for sharing.

Marker
10-19-2007, 10:22 AM
I guess I'm a bit surprised that this is as big and issue as it apparently is. I guess the interpretation of rudeness has wide variations. Even if I didn't what someone to join us, I wouldn't think it rude for someone to ask. What are they really hurting. And I certainly wouldn't get hostile with them about it.

This is just my opinion so don't take my head off, but I'd find it much more rude to be holding onto unused seats in a crowded dining room that to ask if someone minded if I sit down. I guess for me, it's not just about ME and what I WANT. We're not in this world alone, and a little kindness towards others is not really a bad thing.

I mean, it's not like they're going to sit in my lap. And it doesn't mean we have to strike up a conversation (although I probably would). They're just sitting beside me. They can have their own conversation and we can continue with ours.

I wonder, do the people who don't want to share a table also resist sharing a seat on a bus? Or sitting beside someone in a show?

Maybe it's a cultural difference, and varies depending on where you're from. If that's the case, I pretty ok with having a friendly midwestern point of view.

But that's all just my opinion. We all have different points of view, and it seems that mine is definitely in the minority. But nonetheless, is my view and I'm sticking to it.

Figgyluv03
10-19-2007, 12:19 PM
I probably wouldn't have minded if it's a CS meal and the person asked politely, and we were pretty much done, but other than that, no way!

TheRustyScupper
10-19-2007, 12:23 PM
{Flame Proof Suit In Place}

1) At Table Service eateries, you should have your own table.
2) At fast food, you should share tables if they are crowded.
3) You have paid for food and a seat, not a table.
4) It is only kind and courteous to share at Fast Food eateries.

NOTE: I do this a lot, especially in airports. People put their stuff around a table and take only one or two seats at a table. This is very impolite to others who want a seat. So, I take one of the vacant seats and move their luggage.

{Flame Proof Suit Back in Closet}

poeticeclipse
10-19-2007, 01:22 PM
On our honeymoon my husband wanted to eat at Pizzafari. We found a table and my husband began to enjoy his meal. About 5 minutes before he was finished another couple with two children asked if it was okay if they went ahead and sat beside us since they noticed we were almost finished. The place was getting crowded and we were almost done so it was no big deal. We even started a conversation with them about how it was their first time and we gave them some tips on things to see as well as how to get started pin trading.

That situation could have been different had there been numerous tables available and if we had just sat down. Me, being the pushover that I am, would of course say that it was no problem. But, i'm a coward and a people pleaser. I try and make the best out of an uncomfortable situation.

thrillme
10-19-2007, 01:27 PM
I can be a little mixed on this. If it a big table (like a picnic table) designed a lot of people to sit at IF the seating is really rough I "might" ask if we could share the end if it wasn't being used and there's quite a bit of space between us. I'd probably prefer if they were nearly done anywy. I have invited people to share in the reverse situation. Of course if it's a smaller table where I'd be placed quite cozily with the other family then I wouldn't think of asking.

But on the same note I do find it somewhat annoying when there are several groups of people looking for a place to sit with their trays in hand and people who have been finished since we first got in line are STILL camping out at the table just "chatting" (granted if there's NOT a lunch rush etc...then fine sit there aslong as they like)...then they finally leave and leave all their junk behind. SIGH.

Seasonscraps
10-19-2007, 01:28 PM
I don't mind if someone asks to sit with us if there are no tables available and there is room at our table. I'd hate for people to drag extra chairs over and squeeze people in. I would also be annoyed if someone just plopped down at our table without asking - I think that's rude.

If push came to shove and there was just nothing available, I would ask someone if we could sit at their table.

I can count the number of times that has happened to us.

Disney Doll
10-19-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm not anti-social by any means, but I do think it's rude to invite yourself to sit at someone else's table. I would never do that and I would feel a bit weird if someone else did that to me. However, I also think it's rude to sit at a large table if you are only a small party. We've never run into this situation because we always have at least 4 people. I don't mind sharing at Beirgarten because it is expected and everyone knows going in that shared tables are the norm.

ncscgirl2005
10-19-2007, 02:31 PM
I wonder, do the people who don't want to share a table also resist sharing a seat on a bus? Or sitting beside someone in a show?

I know this is offtopic but the seats on the buses really get next to me more than the table issue. It irks me to see a small kid or the elderly have to stand up on a crowded bus. We never hesitated for one moment to give up at least one of our seats to accomodate someone else, especially a child or the elderly! There we times when DDs shared a seat while DH and I stood up to accomodate someone else. A little kindness goes a long way!

Marilyn Michetti
10-19-2007, 05:22 PM
I don't like to eat with strangers because I have M.S., and sometimes drop stuff, and DH has to cut my food alot. It's embarrassing, but we're not at all anti-social. We'll talk to anyone, anywhere, about anything, but not with food falling out of our mouths.:blush:

MMouse6937
10-19-2007, 06:06 PM
I guess I'm a bit surprised that this is as big and issue as it apparently is. I guess the interpretation of rudeness has wide variations. Even if I didn't what someone to join us, I wouldn't think it rude for someone to ask. What are they really hurting. And I certainly wouldn't get hostile with them about it.

This is just my opinion so don't take my head off, but I'd find it much more rude to be holding onto unused seats in a crowded dining room that to ask if someone minded if I sit down. I guess for me, it's not just about ME and what I WANT. We're not in this world alone, and a little kindness towards others is not really a bad thing.

I mean, it's not like they're going to sit in my lap. And it doesn't mean we have to strike up a conversation (although I probably would). They're just sitting beside me. They can have their own conversation and we can continue with ours.

Maybe it's a cultural difference, and varies depending on where you're from. If that's the case, I pretty ok with having a friendly midwestern point of view.

But that's all just my opinion. We all have different points of view, and it seems that mine is definitely in the minority. But nonetheless, is my view and I'm sticking to it.

I totally agree with you. I also posted earlier but have seen this thread get longer and longer and the comments with more and more people agreeing that it's rude to ask someone to share their table. I really can't believe that so many people are really that upset by this, especially at Disney. I have never really even given it a thought. My DH is very shy and reserved but still not nearly impolite enough to not offer a seat or say yes if someone asked if they could share a table with us. I wouldn't expect this at a TS establishment but would at a CS, especially at busy times. People need to open up more and be agreeable to meeting new people, you never know what will happen.

EPCOT84
10-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Its a cultural thing. :figment:

Different regions in the U.S. have different ways. Outside the U.S., in some countries sharing tables without asking is the culture. Visitors from around the country and around the world may bring their customs and not even realize they are being offensive.

Part of the Disney experience is this sharing with people from around the world. So, the next time someone offends you, go with the flow and make it magical.:noevil::chipdale::figment:

brownie
10-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Never experienced this, and my initial reaction was I wouldn't much care for this "invasion." However, after I thought about it, it could be fun and an opportunity to meet some other people. If you really did want to spend some time "alone," I'm sure people would understand (too bad if they don't).

AdventurerKim
10-20-2007, 06:24 PM
I've never had anyone ask to sit at our table with us when we are two, my DH and I, nor would I ever think to ask to sit with someone we didn't know. Usually there are four or more of us (all adults) on a WDW vacation, so having extra places isn't an issue bc we don't sit at tables larger than we need. If someone was to ask to sit at a table with us, I would say no. Meals are down time for us. I don't care when people ask to borrow chairs bc we've done that.

Madame Leona
10-22-2007, 12:02 AM
This is a really good topic. I've really had to think about my response to this one. I don't think people should invite themselves to sit at a table occupied by another family. My reasoning is, a meal time is a time to talk about the day and plan for what may be coming up. My dh recently switched to an afternoon shift and I really miss our family meal time together. I am looking forward to our next vacation to have that time with just the family. I may be anti-social, but to an extent I'm ok with that.

Floridian Yeti
10-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Hi All,
We said no because we really don't want to lie or be rude, but personally I would never ask to sit at someone else's table.
<snip>
Even though Disney is crowded, when I eat, I like my space.

Does anyone else feel the same...or differ??

I'm with you, I would NEVER ask to share someone's table, and I don't particularly like it when others intrude on mine. This the one little piece of space in WDW that is all mine, if only for a brief time. If there are no tables available, you venture out and find a place to sit/lean and eat...it's not that difficult.

I'm not a big fan of being "entertained" while i eat either (i.e. Whispering Canyon...if you call being screamed at by a manic CM entertainment...), but that's a whole different subject :)

McGoofy
10-23-2007, 06:15 AM
I can see where you are coming from, but because I had a very good experience on a cruise ship sharing a table I feel a little different. I was very worried about sharing a table and tried to request a private one with no luck. I usually keep to myself too! The couple we ended up with at our table we found to have alot in common with. We ended up after that first meal spending the rest of our vacation together and now we are great friends! You never know who you will meet! Yes, you might not get as lucky as we did! ;) But, you never know! Hopefully they are in Disney for the same reason you are and you might just hit it off!
:ditto: I was so nervous about sitting with strangers too! As it turned out, we had a great experience and did lots of things outside of dinner with our table mates. We still keep in touch via e-mail and Christmas cards and that was 5 years ago!

I never table-crash but always welcome people who do to sit down. I have met some interesting people this way. And in other places besides DW. We were visiting Charleston SC when there was a large table in a small restaurant open but there was no party of 6. So one guy in line got us and another party of two together and we made our own party of 6. Instant seating! We had a great time getting to know the others.

I guess that's why we were voted "the most polite city.":D

My intial thoughts when I first read the post were..."even the tables at Cracker Barrel are too close for my comfort!" But then I got to thinking about all the neat people we have met in close quarters at Disney--restaurants, the bus, the swimming pool, long lines for rides, etc... It just seems like such a friendly and safe place that the whole not talking to strangers sort of goes out the window. Some of the tables at Le Cellier are really close, and we have met friendly people there. The best time that we have met people is about one hour before Illuminations in the patio area at the Rose and Crown. People get really close there, and usually most of the seats are taken. I don't think we've ever shared a table, but we give available seats away when we can. However, when we're all waiting an hour in close quarters, you get to know people. I have had some great conversations there. As for the table crashing, I personally would never do it. I think that is kind of rude, but I suppose if someone came up to me and asked, I wouldn't turn them away. A kind deed goes a long way!:mickey:

disneydeb
10-23-2007, 06:56 AM
I think sharing is a great way of expanding one's universe, but I can see how one fight feel their privacy had been invaded.:)

lyle21
10-23-2007, 09:13 AM
i am a shy and private person so my interior knee jerk reaction would be "no, are you crazy?"

but the right and gracious thing is to give up the seats. as a bashful person i always expect the worst from stranger interactions, but it always goes just fine. people at wdw rarely ever bite.

StillSimbaGirl
10-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Hmm...although I would prefer a table all to myself and my family...I often am at Disney with just my DD8.

If a counter service place is swamped, I have asked people politely if they minded if we had a seat. It is just too difficult to manage for long carrying the backpack, the food tray and whatever else. I also have been asked by others if they could sit at our table. And, of course, they may.

I guess it depends on the crowd level...just like at the movies...if most every seat is filled, well, people will have to sit right next to you. On the other hand, if the place is empty, it would be completely inappropriate for someone to sit right next to you - not to mention downright creepy!

jillluvsdisney
10-23-2007, 07:23 PM
I know someone up above posted this. I am really shocked at the number of responses that this topic has had. Never in a million years would I have imagined such an issue that so many people felt so strongly about. WOW.

HOLITRIN
10-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Here's another take on this subject. We've been at the CS restaurants and have actually asked people if they would like to join us, especially if there is no place for them to sit. Often times we are just 2 and have a table for 4 (that was all that was available when we sat down). If there was another couple and on quite a few occasions, someone doing Disney solo, and the place was crowded, then we've extended an invitation.

It's basically a Random Act of Kindness - and God knows this world needs as much of it as possible.

After all, what better place to extend a little magic of your own... :D

ldn324
10-24-2007, 01:59 PM
I don't have a problem sharing a table on two conditions - a) the person/people ask if it's OK and b) there are no other tables/seats available.

I can't honestly say I've ever offered table space to anyone at WDW, although I think I will be a little more aware in the future. You can sometimes tell the look of desperation in people's faces when they've been walking the parks all day, finally take a break for something to eat then can't find anywhere to sit. I'm sure I've had that look as well.

I don't think it's acceptable to just plop down at an occupied table without asking first. On the flip side, I don't think it's acceptable to say no if someone asks if they can sit at that table.

The only time I would not care for someone to sit with me would be when there are plenty of other seating choices. I would also certainly expect anyone sharing a table with me or my party to show respect - use manners, no yelling or arguing, etc.

Gator
10-25-2007, 03:31 PM
One of things I really enjoy is talking to people from all over america and the world at WDW. I remember a lunch at the Tepenyaki in Epcot and was really disappointed because nobody wanted to talk, even though we all sit a giant table together. I felt like I was at a yuppie country club and I was Happy Gilmore. Then again, I'm a medical sales rep and I love the job because I get to talk to new people all the time. Some people just don't want to get to know anyone else. I call it Nintendo America.

branvy
10-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Try to remember you don't know everyone's situation. I had an uncle whose extreme shyness turned into major social anxiety issues as he got older. He couldn't even do teacher conferences b/c he'd start to shake from nervousness. It was hard enough for him to do things out of his element, but as long as he was with people he knew well or family, he was fine. If a stranger were to sit down at his families table, he would have completely shut down - there would be no getting him to talk after that. So remember, there are people with varying degrees of shyness or social anxiety. Having a stranger sit down at their table might send them into a tizzy of nervousness. In addition, what about some families with hidden disabilities? What if someone is self-concious about a speech or hearing problem, perhaps they have a child who is autistic and doesn't handle strange people well? There may be many legitimate reasons why someone doesn't want you sitting at their table, and even if they say yes when they don't want to (often because they're timid), they may hate every minute of it. Sharing may be ideal, but it just doesn't work for everyone. The fact is, if they are there first, it is their table to do with as they wish. If you don't like it when you can't find a table, you should plan around that or expect to wait.