PDA

View Full Version : Ian's INTERCOT 10th Anniversary Bash Trip Report - Day Two - It Continues

Ian
10-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Day Two

Saturday morning came quickly for those of us who needed some extra sleep, but we got up bright and early anyway, met John, and headed to the counter service place at SSR for some breakfast. The service was devastatingly slow and the coffee was near undrinkable, but they made up for it by serving bad food, too. ;)

After our delicious meal ( :ack: ), we packed into John's car (his very, very SMALL car that was loaded up with very, very BIG boxes!) and drove to Epcot for our Soarin' meet. Epcot was pretty busy and the stampede to Soarin' was near legendary. We survived, though, and grabbed some Fastpasses. After much milling around, waiting, and moderate grumbling, a small group of us decided to head over and ride The Land while we were waiting. While we were on the ride, I got a call from Christine (who was the meet organizer) wondering why we weren't all outside waiting where we were supposed to be. Whoops! :blush: That's what we get for letting John be the only one with a copy of the itinerary.

When we got off and went back to the Soarin' queue area it was just loaded with INTERCOTees waiting to ride. We organized ourselves into a group and got in the standby line. The wait was pretty brief and I was fortunate enough to find myself among a group in row 1B in the dead center. Best seat in the house, baby! I love this ride ... love it, love it, LOVE IT! On behalf of our entire flight crew ... thanks, for Soarin' with us!

Most of us still held Fastpasses for Soarin', so we all decided to pay a little visit to The Seas with Nemo and Friends. We had fun visiting with Nemo, Dory, Mr. Ray, and all the others in "The Big Blue World." We stopped on the way out to take in a showing of Turtle Talk. Most of us are still wondering if that little boy ever got his rocket back. ;)

We all regrouped back at Soarin' again to use our Fastpasses, did that, and then headed off for Mexico for our Gran Fiesta Tour meet. On the way, our very own Carol won herself a set of YoaMD Mickey ears! I'm pretty sure that Beth and Donna won them too, but I'm not sure?

Anyway, we had ourselves a good old time cruising the rivers of Mexico with Donald, Jose, and Joey Carioca and then our groups split up to head off in search of food. Our next meet wasn't until 7PM for the Norway Mickey-fest, so we had some time to ourselves to just kick back and enjoy each other's company.

Gary, John, Frankie, Tracy, and I opted to go to Nine Dragons. They didn't open until noon, though, so they told us that we'd have to wait 20 minutes for a table. About 10 minutes into our wait, Frankie decided to his legendary powers of negotiation to get us a table more quickly. He went inside and was quickly able to shorten our wait time to only ten minutes. Way to go Frankie!!

Gary and I were on the dining plan, so we both got appetizers of the Drunken Chicken. John and Frankie split an order of the Pot Stickers. In an odd twist, for entrees, one side of the table (John and I) ordered the Kung Bao chicken (also known as "Kung BAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!"). The other side all ordered the Honey Sesame chicken. Weird ... must be some kind of left brain/right brain kinda thing.

When John's Kung Bao arrived, it was strange. Mine had both red and green peppers, but for some reason John's only had green. He commented on it to the waiter and asked if maybe they could just bring him some red peppers. The waiter apologized all over himself and went John one better ... he brought him a whole new plate of chicken with red and green peppers! Nice job on that one, Disney!

Since Norway was close by, we headed over there after lunch to do a quick Maelstrom ride. Ve vere not de first to pass dat way ... nor vill ve be de last!

After Maelstrom, John decided that he wanted to head back to SSR for some rest. We needed to be back in time to grab some dinner and meet Samaya (our Disney VIP guide) at 6:15 to head over to Epcot. John had a lot of merchandise that needed to make its way over to the Illuminations meet area in France and they were allowing him to take it in backstage to avoid having to drag the boxes through Epcot. In order to do this, we had to follow Samaya in John's car just so we could make it through security. Disney runs a tight ship when it comes to backstage access!

We stopped at Mouse Gears on the way out to do a little shopping, but nothing really caught my eye. John and Frankie took off, but Emily joined us in the interim, so she, Gary, Tracy, and I wandered up to America to see if we could take in a showing of the American Adventure. Unfortunately, the timing didn't work out so we just sort of wandered around a bit, browsed in the countries, did a little more shopping, and then went out to Em's car to go back to SSR.

She dropped Gary and I off and headed back to her resort to clean up before meeting Samaya, and Gary and I did the same. We met up with John around 5:30 and headed down to Artist's Palette for some quick dinner. Service? Again ... painfully slow ... John almost blew his stack waiting for a simple sandwich to arrive. The good news this time was my roast beef and bleu sandwich was pretty darn good. But because of how slow the service was, we BARELY made our meeting with Samaya, even though she was a little late.

Emily rode over to Epcot with Samaya and John, Gary, and I followed along in John's car. Going backstage is always neat, even though I've done it before as part of the Backstage Magic Tour. I was furiously snapping pictures as we drove along ... although backstage sort of looks a lot like some old factory somewhere, so it's really not all that scenic.

We stopped backstage in the UK and wheeled our boxes up to our viewing spot on the bridge in France. We left them there and then hightailed it over to Norway to start checking people in for the Mickey meet. Gary and I were assigned the task of taking down names and handing out wristbands. With over 125 people to take care of, you can imagine we were busier than one armed paperhangers! Eventually, though, we got everyone checked in successfully and were able to head up to the VIP area to spend some time with everyone ... and with the Big Cheese, of course!

I wandered around trying to get pictures of everyone and do a little socializing, but then John pulled me in to get a staff photo taken with Mickey. After a bit more socializing, it was time to walk over to France to start getting things ready there. I walked over from Norway to France with Karen and her daughter, Jen. I think I inadvertantly offended Jen, because when she told me she was 16 I was flabbergasted. I told her I thought she was about 12 or 13. BOY was she crushed! Her Mom helped soften the blow, though, when she explained to her how important that would be in about 20 years. ;)

So we got to France for the Illuminations VIP party and helped John set up his merchandise tables for a bit. People were slowly filtering in and pretty soon the landing was PACKED. John gave every attendee one of the blue, light-up lanyards (courtesy of INTERCOT's sponsor Offical Ticket Center ... thanks, guys!!) and we made quite a sight, all 125 of us down there on the landing, blinking away.

There's not much to really say about the experience ... it was as awesome as it was last time. Maybe moreso for there being so many more people there. The view of the show is incredible, the snacks were great, the company was great ... everything was great. To say that John and the sponsors outdid themselves on this one would be an understatement of epic proportions. It was, quite honestly, one of the best non-family related nights of my life. We just had a wonderful time. Thanks, John and all the sponsors who made it possible!!

So this is the part I'm sure a lot of people are waiting for ... the report about the Jellyrolls meet. So here it is ...

We got to Jellyrolls around 10PM or so. A good time was had by all. The End.

Oh yeah ... and we found out that the guys at Jellyrolls don't know Mr. Roboto. Ask John to show you his $20 bill.

Night, night everyone! Stay tuned for Day Three!!

dolphinmickey9170
10-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Ian, this was a great read. Just wish I could have been there. I get all teary just thinking of how much fun I missed out on. Hopefully next time.....I'll be done with school and can join everyone. Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I love your reports!!:mickey:

offwego
10-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Wow that meet sounds like so much fun..dratted wedding anniversary. (I looked into changing them but apparently you just can't sigh).

Thanks Ian for all the detail. I wonder if the roastbeef and blue cheese sandwhich is the same version as the one at POR cause I loved it!

disneydrmr
10-17-2007, 02:00 PM
What an awesome experience all of you had. I so wish I could've been there. I wonder how many non-intercottees thought YOU guys were the Illuminations show with all that blinking going on? :D

And hey, next time... try not to give out so much information on the Jellyrolls meet... I'm sure you've bored all of us reading it to tears! ;):D

tinkerbell04
10-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Sounds like a great time. I can't wait to read more about it :mickey:

Momof2boys
10-17-2007, 02:12 PM
It was, quite honestly, one of the best non-family related nights of my life. We just had a wonderful time.

I love the "non-family related" clause ;)

Sounds like John & the rest of the staff really outdid themselves. :thumbsup:

KylesMom
10-17-2007, 02:22 PM
It was, quite honestly, one of the best non-family related nights of my life. That speaks volumes for both the people at the meet and our whole Intercot community. What a wonderful day - with the exception of the service @ SSR, that is! Thanks for all the details, Ian. It sounds like Tink's magic was spread all around last Saturday. Pics from last post were awesome as well. I keep trying to hone in on the nametags so that I can have visuals of everyone! :mickey:

Looking forward to Sunday's report . . . :marg:

dpamac
10-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto.

Dsnygirl
10-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Day Two
We stopped at Mouse Gears on the way out to do a little shopping, but nothing really caught my eye.

So this is the part I'm sure a lot of people are waiting for ... the report about the Jellyrolls meet. So here it is ...

We got to Jellyrolls around 10PM or so. A good time was had by all. The End.
Nothing caught your eye???? Wow.... you have been to Disney a lot... I could've bought half the store... :blush:

Thanks for that great Jellyrolls report.... very enlightening.... ;)

Glad to hear day two was so good -- we loved meeting everyone @ Illuminations, too -- what an incredible job everyone did! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing!! (or not....:D)

mouseaddict
10-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the report..I am soooo jealous. I was booked to go but had a change of plan. I was in Orlando..at the EMS expo and Sea World..DH won this round..but I will drag him back for the next meet...mark my words!

pdrlkr
10-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

sleepingbooty
10-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Can't wait to hear about tomorrow!

Mousefever
10-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Day Two

We stopped on the way out to take in a showing of Turtle Talk. Most of us are still wondering if that little boy ever got his rocket back. ;)

I don't know if he ever got it back, but I'm sure he's still talking about it!
Amy

:dory:

Ian
10-17-2007, 07:06 PM
I don't know if he ever got it back, but I'm sure he's still talking about it!Oh, I'm quite certain!

Hopefully his Dad built him that new one. ;)

dpamac
10-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Can't wait to hear about tomorrow!

It was interesting, I know that much.

Ian
10-17-2007, 07:39 PM
It was interesting, I know that much.I may be able to post about it if I ever get off this darn bus. ;)

ElenitaB
10-17-2007, 07:50 PM
I agree, Ian... that was one of the best days we've ever had at Epcot... by FAR (and that includes DS starting Illuminations in 2000 and 2001).

My only regret is that I didn't take a picture from the American pavillion of the Eau de France landing... you could see all the blinking lanyards from way over there!

DisneyDudet
10-17-2007, 08:03 PM
The meet was amazing! I mean... I will NEVER forget it! I am so glad I was able to come, and that you guys helped plan it. I'm pretty sure you would have liked to take your few days at a slower pace, but you guys made it so great for everyone! I am so glad to hear that yall had such a great time, despite having to set up everything and, literally, do behind the scenes work!

Thanks everyone!

pjbs35a
10-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Gary, John, Frankie, Tracy, and I opted to go to Nine Dragons. They didn't open until noon, though, so they told us that we'd have to wait 20 minutes for a table. About 10 minutes into our wait, Frankie decided to his legendary powers of negotiation to get us a table more quickly. He went inside and was quickly able to shorten our wait time to only ten minutes. Way to go Frankie!!

No need to thank me, its just another gift of mine !!!

Gary and I were on the dining plan, so we both got appetizers of the Drunken Chicken. John and Frankie split an order of the Pot Stickers. In an odd twist, for entrees, one side of the table (John and I) ordered the Kung Bao chicken (also known as "Kung BAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!"). The other side all ordered the Honey Sesame chicken. Weird ... must be some kind of left brain/right brain kinda thing.

When John's Kung Bao arrived, it was strange. Mine had both red and green peppers, but for some reason John's only had green. He commented on it to the waiter and asked if maybe they could just bring him some red peppers. The waiter apologized all over himself and went John one better ... he brought him a whole new plate of chicken with red and green peppers! Nice job on that one, Disney!!!

If Gary hadn't kept interrupting me, I could have negotiated with the waiter and gotten the entire meal free of charge !!!

Since Norway was close by, we headed over there after lunch to do a quick Maelstrom ride. Ve vere not de first to pass dat way ... nor vill ve be de last!!!

You forget to mention the picture of John and his new Norwegian friend.

John and Frankie took off, but Emily joined us....

I had to make it over to ESPN to watch my fantastic LSU Tigers lose to Kentucky. Should have stayed with the group.

It was, quite honestly, one of the best non-family related nights of my life.

So we're not considered family ??? :(

Ian
10-18-2007, 02:03 PM
So we're not considered family ??? :(Oh, absolutely you are!

You guys are sort of like those odd family members that are only allowed out of the basement on holidays and special occasions!

Bethis26fan
10-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Ian
10-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Who fixed the title to this thread and how?? I tried to get that Day One switched to a Day Two a thousand different ways and couldn't figure it out??

:confused:

John
10-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Who fixed the title to this thread and how?? I tried to get that Day One switched to a Day Two a thousand different ways and couldn't figure it out??

:confused:

Heh - you have so much to learn grasshopper!

Domo, Domo - Kung BAAAOOOOOOOOOO

JPL
10-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Thanks for that great Jellyrolls report.... very enlightening.... ;)

That's probably all he actually remembers ;)

KarenP
10-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Meeting you was the highlight of my trip, Ian! It was like being with an old friend. And Jenn forgives you even though she would like to look about 19.

Ian
10-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Heh - you have so much to learn grasshopper!

Domo, Domo - Kung BAAAOOOOOOOOOONever fear ... INTERCOT's own version of Mr. Miyagi has already set me straight!

SgtTigger
10-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the wonderful report......

I wish so much that we could have been there..........

Maybe I will just go stand there in Nov. and pretend that you are all there......

:cop: :tigger:

pjbs35a
10-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Oh, absolutely you are!

You guys are sort of like those odd family members that are only allowed out of the basement on holidays and special occasions!

And we don't even have basements in Louisiana !!!

Ian
10-18-2007, 07:05 PM
And we don't even have basements in Louisiana !!!You could be like Magic Kingdom and just build a first floor, cover it with a lot of dirt, and call it a basement?

pjbs35a
10-18-2007, 07:11 PM
You could be like Magic Kingdom and just build a first floor, cover it with a lot of dirt, and call it a basement?

Don't spread that idea around. Maybe I can capitalize on it before the locals catch on.

Emily
10-18-2007, 09:59 PM

No wonder I'm so pale. :(

"But you yada yada'd over the best part! No, I mentioned the bisque..." Sorry, that's what I thought of your skimpy Jellyrolls report. Although I was there, so I'll let it go. ;)

Saturday night was a total blast, all around. Best time I've had at a meet, by far! I'm just bummed that I missed the morning Epcot stuff. :( Grrr... And it wasn't even because I slept late! I was awake! That's highly unusual for me! ;)

Ian
10-19-2007, 08:12 AM
I'm just bummed that I missed the morning Epcot stuff. :( Grrr... And it wasn't even because I slept late! I was awake! That's highly unusual for me! ;)Yeah, but there was a doofus involved, so you're excused.

HndrdPrcnt
10-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Another day of fun. I love going backstage to see everything in motion to make the "magic" happen. On our CM trips to WDW when I used to work at DL we got a tour backstage. Very cool and even very different than DL.

faline
10-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Great report, Ian! The Illuminations party was loads of fun! I was disappointed that we missed the meeting with Mickey! Oh well!

DizNee143
10-25-2007, 10:43 AM
another long great day!! and awesome i love going backstage myself..its pretty cool..off to read more!!