PDA

View Full Version : What is it like at Disney at the end of May?

deebee29
10-17-2007, 12:25 PM
We are thinking about going to Disney during the last week of May. :mickey: I'm really not sure if we will actually go, we're still in the thinking stages.
I am thinking that we may go May 24-May 31, or something like that. I would like to go this week, as my birthday is May 29.
I've heard about the birthday button, any experiences?
What are the crowds like during the last week of may? Are there any special events going on during this time?
We were also thinking about staying at POP Century, how is it?
Thanks, and sorry this post has so many questions!:confused:

BugeyedMuggy
10-17-2007, 12:38 PM
We stayed at POP End of May this year. The resort in my opinion is the best value one. We didn't realized when we booked the year earlier it was Memorial weekend and it was very crowded that weekend. We usually go early May and the crowds are less. The weather is around 85° - 90° then. The Flower & Garden Fest is that time. Lots of fun.

deebee29
10-17-2007, 12:46 PM
So memorial weekend crowds would only be in the beginning I am assuming? How bad were the crowds?

PlutoLover
10-17-2007, 01:27 PM
I've never been to POP but I heard/read that it's the best value.

I've never been end of May but I heard/read it is super busy, especially on the weekend.

I went last September and we spent my niece's 10th birthday at AK and she wore the button but I have to say I wasn't that impressed. We had a character breakfast at Restaurantasaurus and they sang to her but they sang to everyone with a birthday and that was because I said it when I made the ADR and reconfirmed when I got there. During the day I don't remember to many people acknowledging her bday. During the parade was probably the best she got. A CM in the parade noticed and stopped and sang her Happy Birthday but that was really all. For her it was just extremely special to spend her 10th bday in WDW for her first trip there ever. I just thought a little bigger deal would have been made of her.

I'm sure other people have had better experiences but I figured I'd share mine :)

laprana
10-17-2007, 01:42 PM
We have been 4 times at the end of May/beginning of June (our trips usually started around May 26-27, depending on where they fall in the week). We really enjoy going at that time. We haven't been for Memorial Day weekend because we've always tried to avoid that, as we've heard it's super busy. But we've found the crowds to be pretty manageable at the end of May into June. It gets a little more crowded as you get farther into June, because I think that's when a lot of schools are letting out for summer. It can get pretty hot, around 95 some days, but not so hot that it's overwhelming. We've hit the very tail end of the Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot each time, and it's really neat! So many beautiful flowers and topiaries everywhere you look! Have fun whenever you go!:mickey:

Tygger7
10-17-2007, 01:48 PM
We are thinking about going to Disney during the last week of May. :mickey: I'm really not sure if we will actually go, we're still in the thinking stages.
I am thinking that we may go May 24-May 31, or something like that. I would like to go this week, as my birthday is May 29.
I've heard about the birthday button, any experiences?
What are the crowds like during the last week of may? Are there any special events going on during this time?
We were also thinking about staying at POP Century, how is it?
Thanks, and sorry this post has so many questions!:confused:

We went this same time period in 2006, the week before Memorial Day weekend. Crowds were great. The only "crowds" we experienced were at MGM during Star Wars Weekends, which was going on. Even with that though, the crowds are NOTHING compared to peak season (i.e. around the 4th of July).

The weather is beautiful this time of year in FL...nice and hot, but before the sticky summer humidity.

As for events...definitely the Flower & Garden festival will be going on at Epcot. Star Wars Weekends MAY be going on at MGM in May 2008, but the schedule hasn't been released yet.

Regarding Pop Century...I've never stayed there but am planning to stay there one night on our next trip because I've heard so many great things about it. (We always stay at a Value Resort the first day because we drive straight through and don't get to WDW until 5-6pm.) Then we'll be transferring to WL. :cap:

Hope this helps!

playdead88
10-17-2007, 01:57 PM
we went the last week in may the first two years - mainly for star wars weekends - since my son is a star wars freak but last year we went the 3rd week of april and the weather was awesome - so much so we are going in april for our 08 trip - the crowds were great both weeks - it's the weather that has changed our week from may to april - it's hot in may :mickey:

deebee29
10-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Bear with me here, I am not living in the US. But what weekend is memorial weekend? Is it May 23-26?

PlutoLover
10-17-2007, 02:25 PM
You are correct :mickey:

deebee29
10-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Perfect, thanks!

BugeyedMuggy
10-17-2007, 02:50 PM
You asked about the b-day button. My DH & I wore an anniversary button in Sept. and every CM that saw it made a big deal about it. It was kinda fun. One CM grabbed our camera and made us kiss for a picture :blush: The crowds are much better in early May if you could go then and if possible the end of Sept - early Oct is even better for lesser crowds. That is also the Food & Wine Fest.

deebee29
10-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks so much for the quick replies!!!

I really would like to be there for my birthday, and that is the whole reasoning for going around the end of may. What better place to be on your special day!

I've heard that September is a great time to go and would love to go at that time but it isn't possible.

thejens
10-17-2007, 10:03 PM
We went last year during this time frame and plan to do it again in 2008. I have only ever been to Disney during April and May, both busy seasons so don't know how to compare. We use fast pass and get to the parks on opening and have a great time. Last year it was not too hot, but we were lucky! Last year Star Wars weekend was the first weekend of June and my kids loved that. The Flower and Garden show is amazing. All in all, a great time to go, but probably busy and hot.

January-2007
10-18-2007, 08:45 AM
We were in Walt Disney World at the end of May this year over Memorial Day Weekend and into the beginning of June. The weather was absolutely wonderful, with only one solid day of rain, otherwise it was lovely. Warm but not too hot, very enjoyable. The crowds at the Magic Kingdom were higher than we expected, so we didn't accomplish much there, but Epcot was fabulous. We just loved the Flower and Garden Festival, so very beautiful, and since it's so long, we didn't feel the heavy crowds while we were there, even on the weekend! If given a choice, I would rather go earlier in May, but we still had a lot of fun when we went. Happy planning!

DadTriton
10-18-2007, 09:38 PM
early to mid May are really light crowds.:thumbsup:

ncscgirl2005
10-19-2007, 09:47 AM
I've never been at that time but I just wanted to wish you an early Happy Birthday. My b-day is May 30, one day after yours!

MickeyMousse
10-19-2007, 10:00 AM
We went in late May years ago and found the closer we got to the end of our trip, the larger the crowds were. CM's said it was due to some school's ending in May....we left the Thursday before Memorial Day weekend and by that time it was PACKED. Although I agree May is not as sticky weather wise, be prepared for the heat!

Red Randal
10-19-2007, 04:29 PM
I was there May 23-29, 2004 and May 17-20, 2007. I can tell you that the weather was absolutely perfect in 2004 and with proper planning we were able to everything without encountering any huge waits (just with smart uses of Fastpass.) In 2007 the weather was not quite as cooperative and the crowds seemed a bit heavier than I remembered them in 2004 but both were comperable. (Note, the 2004 trip spanned a week and the 2007 was over a weekend, thus accounting for the slightly heavier 2007 crowds.)

As it gets closer to Memorial Day crowds definately do increase. The weather was hot and humid but nowhere near as unbearable as July and August can get.