PDA

View Full Version : The great Flu shot debate!

GA girl
10-17-2007, 11:31 AM
It is that time of year again.:ill: I just got mine and it didn't hurt one bit. Are you getting yours?

Sinewiz
10-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Nope! I'm 55 and I've never had the flu so I'm leaving well enough alone.

JWDisneyFan
10-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Nope, I'm not. About 6 years ago, I got the flu shot and ended up in the hospital about 48 hours later and had to spend 3 days there. The only time besides giving birth that I have ever had to stay in the hospital. It may have been a fluke, but I'll never get another flu shot again.

Plus, my 2 year old son got one last Tuesday and has been so sick ever since. Maybe a coincidence though, my 5 year old DD had one at the same time and has been fine.

Flower
10-17-2007, 12:04 PM
No,

Every year I get them and I seem to be sicker than when I don't.:ill:

jillluvsdisney
10-17-2007, 12:10 PM
No, I've never had one and don't plan to. I hate needles. I've never had the flu.

Tuke
10-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Last year we got one for our DD6 a few days before we left for WDW. She was perfectly well before she got her shot, but got terribly ill afterwards. It ended up wrecking part of our vacation, and the poor thing was miserable. We'll not do that again! :down:

BRJARE3
10-17-2007, 12:14 PM
My three children will get theirs tomorrow and I will get mine next week. I get it every year and I have never had a complication. Neither have my children. I'd rather get the shot than get the flu!

DisneyWhirled
10-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Just got mine today! Hopefully, all will be well!

PirateLover
10-17-2007, 12:47 PM
I received one for the last 4 years for free when I was in college. Seemed to work like a beaut! Relatively painless, never got sick from it, and while my classmates were dropping like flies I remained fit as a fiddle (allergies aside). I will keep my eyes open for a place to get one this season...

SurferStitch
10-17-2007, 01:10 PM
:nope:

Never had one...only had the flu once over the past 10-12 years or so (I think....not even sure it was technically the flu). I mostly just get bad colds, and the flu shot doesn't do a thing for those.

I don't inject or ingest any drug that my body doesn't absolutely need. I only take drugs when absolutely necessary.

Wrigley
10-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Nope!

I used to get the flu shot when I was in college and then when I taught preschool. But since I became a stay at home mom I don't get one anymore. I'm not sure why though!!!! Maybe I'll look into it this year :)

BAMABOY
10-17-2007, 02:03 PM
I took a flu shot once, 3 days later I got the FLU!!!:ill: NEVER, NEVER NEVER AGAIN!:stop::pout::stop:

Scar
10-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Never, ever.

disneydrmr
10-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Add me to the 'got the shot once, got the flu shortly after."list so nope.. you won't catch me getting that shot!

#1donaldfan
10-17-2007, 02:23 PM
No way.....everytime I get one, I end up getting sick....I know they tell me I won't and that it's not the shot, but too many times that's what happens......so......I'll just take my chances and hope for the best.....

Terra
10-17-2007, 02:26 PM
No flu shots here either...then again, I do delayed and selective vaccines anyway for my DS....

mttafire
10-17-2007, 03:46 PM
YES, I've gotten one every year since 1990. NEVER got the flu since. There really isnt a good reason not to get one. It IS personal preferecne whether to get one or not. But for medical reasons..There is no good reason not to get it.
Got mine at work last week..

Terra
10-17-2007, 04:38 PM
YES, I've gotten one every year since 1990. NEVER got the flu since. There really isnt a good reason not to get one. It IS personal preferecne whether to get one or not. But for medical reasons..There is no good reason not to get it.
Got mine at work last week..

Yeah, it's truly a personal choice. But I would advise anyone to make sure they are educated on any vaccine that goes into your body. Which I'm sure people do anyway. I wouldn't think that you [general you] would get injected without knowing what was going into you.
For us we opted not to because of the ingredients in the Flu vaccines. Formaldehyde is something that I just don't want in myself or my child.
Of course we really try to be more homeopathic with our health anyway.

Here is a link from the CDC listing the ingredients in the Flu vaccine, it is on the second page.
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-2.pdf

MNNHFLTX
10-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Yes, I 100% believe in flu shots, especially for the elderly and those with chronic health conditions or those who take care of them (I know, I sound like a CDC commercial). As a nurse I get one every year because I worry that I might inadvertently infect my patients with the flu if I don't.

I will be getting mine this Friday. :)

Wayne
10-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Getting mine in the morning. As a pastor, I am in and out of hospitals and nursing homes all the time and I don't want to take a chance on endangering the health of one of my congregants. I've never had a problem.

Scar
10-17-2007, 05:51 PM
There really isnt a good reason not to get one.Yes there is. For many people, they are unnecessary.

Jimenyfan
10-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Nope! I'm 55 and I've never had the flu so I'm leaving well enough alone.

I'm with you, I'm 40 and have never had the flu or gotten a flu shot.

DisneyDudet
10-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Yes, I 100% believe in flu shots, especially for the elderly and those with chronic health conditions or those who take care of them (I know, I sound like a CDC commercial). As a nurse I get one every year because I worry that I might inadvertently infect my patients with the flu if I don't.

I got mine this year, as I have been for the past few years since starting in nursing. I was not allowed to have them as a child due to my allergy to chicken. My pediatrician thought it might affect me since the serum is made of egg. We finally determined that I wasn't allergic to chicken, rather allergic to bird feathers and dander. The first time I got my shot, I had a reaction, probably because of the egg serum, but it went away after a few hours. It was basically a "hot flash" and I was flushed for a few hours, but many medications cause that. Last year, I just felt a knot in my arm for about a week. This year, I felt malaised and tired and really blah for a day or so, but it went away. I see sick people everyday at work, so I don't want to catch it, or bring it home to my family.

You DO NOT get the flu from the shot, as it is not a live virus. What you feels is your body reacting to the vaccine and "learning" to fight the flu. This is the reason why people feel bad sometimes. Rarely does anyone have a reaction like JWDisneyFan, but it can happen. Even if you end up with the flu later on, it will probably lessen the symptoms and reduce it in length.

Whether or not you get the shot is a personal choice, but if you happen to feel ill at anytime, please go see the dr immediately. There are anti-virals that can be given within the first 48 hours of symptom onset to help with the flu. Make sure you wash your hands. If you do become ill, do not go to work. You don't want to spread it! I know everyone knows this, but, we don't want it to become a huge issue.

Just educate yourself! That is all I ask!

IloveDisney71
10-17-2007, 08:07 PM
I've been getting the flu shot for the past 7 years or so. One year I actually got the flu a month or more later because the flu I got wasn't in the vaccine that year!
Guess where I got the flu? On a trip to Disney. I was there 3 days and on the way home I started to feel awful - it was the flu!
I had pnemonia that put me in the hospital for 5 days and I would compare the flu with that! I will do anything to avoid getting the flu - so I will be getting the vaccine tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Terra
10-17-2007, 08:41 PM
I've been getting the flu shot for the past 7 years or so. One year I actually got the flu a month or more later because the flu I got wasn't in the vaccine that year!
Guess where I got the flu? On a trip to Disney. I was there 3 days and on the way home I started to feel awful - it was the flu!
I had pnemonia that put me in the hospital for 5 days and I would compare the flu with that! I will do anything to avoid getting the flu - so I will be getting the vaccine tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Oh no!!! I bet that didn't make for a fun trip:ill:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
10-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Each of us gets the Flu shot.

kakn7294
10-17-2007, 10:25 PM
I refuse to get one - and I'm a nurse.

AvonleaCF
10-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Have gotten one every year for as long as I can remember, and have never gotten the flu, nor any reaction from the shot. I would never not get one.

2Epcot
10-18-2007, 12:42 AM
I also never get flu shot shots, and think I've only actually had the flu once, and that was over 10 years ago.

MNNHFLTX
10-18-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm with you, I'm 40 and have never had the flu or gotten a flu shot.That's okay, though, as it is mainly recommended for people ages 6 months through five years and then fifty years and older. Although folks in between that can certainly get it if they want to. :)

Personally, I'm not sold on giving the flu vaccine to young children. It has been a relatively recent addition and kids are already getting a plethera of vaccines during that time frame. But I do believe in it for senior citizens as I have seen way too many of them with complications in the hospital.

prprincess
10-18-2007, 10:44 AM
I've never gotten one in my life. Even when I was pregnant with my two sons, my OBs told me not to bother since I'd never gotten them before.

But my boys are getting them, as is my husband since he works at a children's museum and comes into contact with a ton of germs.

Mickey'sGirl
10-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Yes, I 100% believe in flu shots, especially for the elderly and those with chronic health conditions or those who take care of them (I know, I sound like a CDC commercial). I have a suppressed immune system from the medications I take for my Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Asthma -- so all four of us get our flu shots each and every year. It has always been a good thing in our house.:thumbsup:

BriarRose0708
10-18-2007, 10:48 AM

Hey Beth! Miss you!

I had the flu in high school and I never want to feel that way ever again. In fact, death would have been better. So yes, I get a flu shot every year and will for a looong time to come.

mjaclyn
10-18-2007, 10:51 AM
I did get a flu shot one year and I don't remember having any symptoms. I probably won't get one this year but I am thinking about getting it for my 1yo daughter. I'm not sure though...

Jasper
10-18-2007, 10:53 AM
You DO NOT get the flu from the shot, as it is not a live virus. What you feels is your body reacting to the vaccine and "learning" to fight the flu. This is the reason why people feel bad sometimes.

Not only do you not get the flu from a flu shot it is also important to note that the flu shot covers lung influenza and not stomach influenza. It is far more common for people in the United States to get stomach influenza rather than the lung type.

My wife works for the county health department and she said that part of the problem with flu shots is that people who may not normally get one finally break down and get one when the stomach flu is going around. Then when they get the stomach flu they blame it on the shot.

By the way, if you have any kind of lung ailment like asthma the flu shot is very important regardless of your age. While you may feel like you are going to die when you have stomach flu in reality you are at very little risk to do so. However, with the lung variety of flu it is quite possible to die from it especially if you have other complicating lung issues!

DVC2004
10-18-2007, 11:21 AM
I don't get them. I have gotten the flu once in the past 10 years and I don't work with children or the elderly.

merlinmagic4
10-18-2007, 12:20 PM

By the way, if you have any kind of lung ailment like asthma the flu shot is very important regardless of your age. While you may feel like you are going to die when you have stomach flu in reality you are at very little risk to do so. However, with the lung variety of flu it is quite possible to die from it especially if you have other complicating lung issues!

This is very true. I have watched my son countless times in the hospital struggling to breathe. Sometimes we end up in a pediatric intensive care unit. Either way, it stinks. We have been flat out told that it's life threatening for him. We don't miss the flu shot for him and my other two children are getting it this year too because he is immune suppressed from a kidney transplant. My husband will get one because he gets so sick from it. I have avoided it so far but suppose I should get one this year, although I'm a really, really good handwasher/purell user!!!

disneydeb
10-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Yes. They help me as I am in a high risk category.

ncscgirl2005
10-18-2007, 02:08 PM
:nope:

Never had one...only had the flu once over the past 10-12 years or so (I think....not even sure it was technically the flu). I mostly just get bad colds, and the flu shot doesn't do a thing for those.

I don't inject or ingest any drug that my body doesn't absolutely need. I only take drugs when absolutely necessary.

This is almost exactly what I was going to post. My job offers them for free but I won't get one. I refuse to get one.

ncscgirl2005
10-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Yes there is. For many people, they are unnecessary.

Absolutely! :thumbsup:

thrillme
10-18-2007, 02:31 PM
I really don't get the flu but I have had it a couple of times. I'm very LOW risk. I usually stall a bit then when it's conveniently available here at work (free) then I'll meander over and get one.

I haven't gotten one for my son because he so RARELY gets any type of illness that most of the time the peditrician won't give it to him because there are so many children that are sick sooooo much and there's always a "shortage" of the vaccine. I also don't like taking a healthy kid to the doctor with all those sick kids if I can help it. (Yes they have a well kid/sick kid area but all the sick kids meaner over to the well kid area and contaminate everything...My DS and I usually just wait outside till our name is called then I have him wash his hands as soon as we get into the exam room. If it's him that's sick he just sits right by me leaning on me, then we still wash up.) But IF the shot for kids was offered "conveniently" without exposing him to a bunch of sick kids I'd get it for him too.

ChipDale2708
10-18-2007, 02:34 PM
I'll be getting mine in November. I never used to get one until a group of my volunteer ushers (I work in a performing arts center) yelled at me for not getting one. I come in contact with hundreds of people on a nightly basis. People pay big bucks for theater tickets, so sick or not, they come anyway spreading their germs. Never had a reaction to the shot, but my Mom did the first time she had the shot. She had all the flu symptoms in 24 hours and then was fine.

Tinkermom
10-18-2007, 08:49 PM
I never got one because like many here I said "I never get the flu, I do not need to take something when it is not necessary". Then I had a wake-up call...
I got the flu. I was so very ill. Not only did I get the flu all 3 of my children got the flu. My DD was 10 months old and was so sick she could not sit up. I took her to the pediatrician and they gave her 2 injections of antibiotic. The flu had left her susceptable to bacterial infections which she now had in her ears and lungs. We had to bring her back the next day for 2 more injections. Luckily after the first round of injections she was doing better or they were going to admit her to the hospital. All 3 of my kids ran a fever of 104 for 6 DAYS! I am a former pediatric RN and I was so worried! Remember though, while dealing with my sick kids I too was sick. I was running a 102-103 fever. DH lucked out and never got sick that year! I never want to go through something like that again.:ill:

Needless to say we all get the flu shot now. My pediatrician explained it very well. If everyone would get the flu shot we could reduce flu outbreaks and prevent a pandemic. Just because you may not become extremely ill with the flu does not mean that you are not spreading it. Some people can have mild symptoms and not even realize they have the flu.

Also, for those who get the flu sometime after getting the flu shot - the flu vaccine is a mixture of the influenza viruses that are predicted to be most prevelent that year. You CAN still get a different strain of influenza even if you have had the flu vaccine. Unfortunately it does not cover us 100% from getting the flu. However it does greatly reduce our chances.

Ok, off my :soapbox: :)

diz_girl
10-19-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm definitely getting a flu shot this year. My son's pediatrician recommended that both my husband and I get flu shots in order to prevent the spread of the disease. She recommended that we also get dTap shots for diptheria, tetanus and pertussis (whooping cough). Since I'll be placing my child in day care in about a month I can just imagine all of the illnesses that he'll be getting from there, so hopefully the flu will be one less thing that he'll catch.

Also, I've had the flu twice in the past ten years and I'd rather avoid getting it again. I've had the shot two or three times in the past five years and didn't get the flu those times, so I'm sticking with the shots. I didn't get a flu shot last year because I was in my first trimester when the shots were distributed. Thankfully I didn't get it.

Just an aside, I had shingles in May, when I was 8 mo pregnant. My doctor told me to stay home because I could infect someone with chicken pox. It's very unusual to see shingles in someone so young (I'm 38) and my doctor was concerned that I had a weakened immune system - from what I don't know. So it would be good for me to get a flu shot, even if I didn't have a baby at home.