PDA

View Full Version : Question about Great Movie Ride in MGM

scootch713
10-17-2007, 10:49 AM
My 5 year old loves the wizard of oz.....wears her red glitter dorothy shoes everywhere! Is this ride scary for kids??? thanks

Here we go again...
10-17-2007, 10:54 AM
The ride is very slow moving and takes you through different movie scenes. It is not meant to be scary, but there are a couple of places that I would prepare your children for.

1. The gangster (or western) scene. It is designed to make you feel like you are in a movie scene and they shoot at each other. Make sure the kids know it is pretend.
2. The Alien movie scene. If you have ever seen Alien then you know that it is a little scary. This scene does have the Alien in it.
3. The Wicked Witch. She pays a little visit in the Wizard of Oz scene but does not come near the car.

Like I said, just make sure they know this is all make believe and they should be fine. My grand kids were not scared at all. It depends on the person.

Quasimodo
10-17-2007, 10:54 AM
There are some scary parts of this ride. How scary I guess depends on your kid. There is a part that is from the original Alien movie where the alien creature comes down out of the ceiling. There is also a room just past the Indiana Jones room that has snakes and scary looking skeletons. I think those are the only scary parts. You can simply cover your kids face in those sections though.

SBETigg
10-17-2007, 11:05 AM
If a child is not scared in Pirates of the Caribbean, for instance, they probably won't be scared at the Great Movie Ride. You pass by many scenes with animatronics- nothing too beyond the WDW norm.

But, (spoilers) as others have mentioned, the live action may be something to prepare them for. You have a tour guide exchanging some action scenes with a "villain" who "takes over" your car, and then a later scene to resolve the set-up. It's classic old action movie stuff, as long as they are prepared for the stranger taking over and all of it being part of the act, you shouldn't have a problem. The Wizard of Oz scene is one of the longer, more colorful ones and is really charming-- she should love it (except for the brief appearance of the witch).

#1donaldfan
10-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Our 5 year old loved it !!! There are some live action scenes that are a little much for some kids, but overall I think it's fine for that age.

Pocahontas
10-17-2007, 12:23 PM
We took my daughter on this ride when she was 4, and she enjoyed it enough to want to ride it more than once. We had her sit between my husband and myself so she would feel safe during the scenes that could be scary.

Von-Drake
10-17-2007, 12:28 PM
I really believe the Alien part to be the scariest part of the ride. It is the only part I would really be concerned with.

MickeyMousse
10-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Both my boys (now 10 and 5) had problems with the live Western scene/shootout and the Alien part. They know exactly where these are in the ride and "cover up".

McGoofy
10-17-2007, 01:25 PM
My DS has been riding this since he was 4. The scenes that have already been mentioned did sort of scare him a little, but he sat between my DH and me. When the scary scenes came, he just closed his eyes and covered his ears and burried himself in my lap. Once we passed the scene, he was fine. The rest of the ride he loved and even wanted to ride again. It's a 20 minute ride, so if you think your child would be terrified for that long, I would skip it. However, your kid might be a "tough kid" that can deal with the scenes.

I think that alien still scares me, and I know it is coming!!!:D

JohnHMCWYG
10-17-2007, 01:26 PM
When I went on the ride this year, we got the gangster ride. Our gangster was a female one and she looked somewhat familiar. Before she made her exit in the "Indiana Jones" scene, she walked by and winked at me.

JuicyMoose17
10-17-2007, 01:43 PM
I wasn't scared when i was five... but i guess it depends on your kid.

The "scary parts" aren't too long anyway. So if she is scared, it will be over soon.

Tom Servo
10-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Not for nothing, I'm 24 going on 78, and I still kinda get spooked by the Aliens portion of the ride. :secret:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
10-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Like the others have said, there are a few scenes that might make your DD a little nervous (I would use nervous more then scared...except for the Alien part) but, if you tell her about them before hand she should be fine.
I just hug my kids tight and tell them to cover their eyes at the scarier parts on rides like this one because it would be a shame if they missed the rest of the ride (Which I love, btw) since the other scenes are great. Of course, Wizard of Oz is cool but, my DD loved the Tarzan part even more since she is a huge elephant fan.
I say take her on. If it bothers her that much just don't ride again.:mickey:

mousetrapper
10-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Yep, the Alien scene and the gangster scene are both scary. I'd say the Alien scene is scary because of the loud *hiss* and blasts of steam when the alien appears...

As for the gangster scene, young ones may not know it's all pretend so could get scared. Plus, gunshots frighten many little ones. (Our cousin's five year old grandson flipped out on Star Tours -- all because of the blasters shooting right and left!)

So I would just prepare your child for the ride beforehand by saying "it's all pretend" and being on the lookout for those particular scenes. I'd say hug the child during both, chuckle a bit during the gangster scene and say "Isn't this silly? they're pretending they're mad at each other!" and then during the Alien scene maybe tell the child to cover his ears so the blast isn't too alarming!

AXOAlum
10-17-2007, 07:13 PM
The scariest part for DS (now 5 but last trip he had just turned 4) was the VOLUME on that ride. Terribly loud & he kept his ears covered for the entire ride. I can't comment on the scary parts - NOTHING scares my kid! Believe me... I've tried :thedolls: :cool: :mickey:

wedway76
10-17-2007, 08:23 PM
After a trip to a Hibachi Restaurant when he was three years old, my son developed an extreme fear of fire (the chef flared up some liquor on the griddle in front of us). When we went to WDW a few months later the fire Bank Robbery scene scared the heck out of him.

scootch713
10-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Thanks everyone.... I think I will prepare them and give it a try. Like I said my youngest LOVE Wizard of oz. tks again.

TBY2225
10-18-2007, 10:48 AM
My DD5 and DS22mos rode this a few weeks ago. My DS loved it even the gangster part! He doesn't mind loud noices at all. My DD wasn't scared she just didn't like the noice and covered her ears when the "guns" went off. The alien part isn't bad. I just told them not to look up when we went through. They both loved the Wizard of Oz part. My DD is old enough to know that they are just robots anyway. It is a little long, but overall it worked out ok. I am not sure if I would want to ride it every trip though!

Goofyjrzgrl
10-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Just keep reminding them they are in a movie! It's my favorite ride! I love old school movies... and although there are some scary parts--- there are some fun ones too!

DadTriton
10-18-2007, 10:27 PM
My daughter, 8, just went on this two weeks ago and slunk to the floor in the Alien part.
But, it is a quick scare and the nice parts that follow make them quickly forget.:whew:

mainstreet1997
10-19-2007, 10:51 PM
And theres always youtube to give your DD a sneak peak :D

scootch713
10-20-2007, 07:35 PM
And theres always youtube to give your DD a sneak peak :D

oohhh... will go try that now.

RocknRoller94
12-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Shut your eyes for-
-The Gangters
-The Westerns
-The Alien
(These three scenes come in a row.):mickey:

Tink#64
12-12-2007, 12:31 AM
The Alien segment is kind of creepy. I watch for it, you can see the "smoke" & I tell DS's to close their eyes & that I'll tell them when they can open them & they are fine with this. Our 1st time on this ride - DS's were 4 & 6, the last trip they were 8 & 10, they have seen a little bit of this part & they still don't like it! But it's over in probably a minute - give or take - & they have never been bothered by anything else in this ride. We think the gangster & western parts are litttle hokey. :blush:

I think if you do a little preparation you should be fine. We LOVE this attraction from start to finish!, it's one of mine & DH's fav's! :cool:

poeticeclipse
12-12-2007, 09:30 AM
I used to even get a little freaked out by the gangster scene until I sat up front right by the gangster and talked to him. He made a few jokes with my fiance (now husband) and I about getting married (all in character). Right before he had to get up and say "goodbye" to all of us, he leaned in grabbed our hands and said quietly "seriously you two, congratulations."

The alien scene I just have to think "it's not real, it's not real, it's not real." :)

Crystal Palace
12-12-2007, 09:42 AM
The only part of the ride I thought was scary was the Alien sequence. But it was fun scary. I love that ride! I'm sure your daughter will love the Wizard of Oz part.