PDA

View Full Version : Pre-trip shopping spree

cydconn3
10-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Am I the only one that has this problem? Right before every WDW vacation, I print off those wonderful ultimate packing lists and head off to the store. I find myself buying everything travel size I can find (they're just so cute) :blush:. Then I go through the clothing section and find a couple of new items for me and the kids, then I go through the video games and find a new game for the trip, then I go to the books and find some books for the trip, etc. :cart::spend:

I've pretty much blown my budget and I haven't even left home yet. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

3 days!:mickey:

disneymom15
10-16-2007, 11:28 PM
We do the same thing. Although we don't usually buy video games, but always new clothes and travel size goodies. 9 days to go for us.

faline
10-17-2007, 05:39 AM
I always find there are some last minute purchases that need to be made prior to a trip.

vizsla
10-17-2007, 05:44 AM
DW and I do the same thing before every trip. We are planning on going shopping this weekend to pick-up the items we eed for our trip next month.

snowflakegirl
10-17-2007, 07:44 AM
I do pretty much the same thing. I love travel sized things they are cute :blush:. And I'm always picking up some new clothes, some magazines and books to read on the plane in the hotel, etc, etc.

Bethis26fan
10-17-2007, 08:40 AM
I do although not as large as video games and stuff. But new socks, some clothes, travel size stuff and a magazine. :) 38 days to go and my shopping spree starts in a 10 days lol.:mickey:

Bringonthemouse!
10-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Oh boy, do I know what you mean! I just went to the dollar store yesterday and bought at least one of everything!!:blush: We are going to WDW just before Christmas so I also had to pick up some Christmas decor for our room. I think my family may have me institutionalized. As long as they wait until after our vacation!:)
:cart::shop::spend:

GoofyFan630
10-17-2007, 09:25 AM
I use to do the same thing then decided to start keeping most of my travel size things. as in shampoo soap and all. in my shaving kit for the next trip. seems like you always have that empty shaving kit laying around somewhere. So just keep the bottles for next time. Just saves a little time and money.

Momof2boys
10-17-2007, 10:34 AM
I don't even want to know how much $$$ I've spent this past week - besides glo necklaces and medicines we've hit the Disney Store twice and have stocked up on "surprises" for the boys. Each day we give them a "treat" - Disney stickers, tattoos, small plastic balls for the pool, key chain, etc It keeps our souvenir purchases down.

I've learned to now buy full size shampoo & conditoner because as a family of 4 we go thru a pretty good amount for our 10 night trips - anything like that we leave in the room and that frees up more space for souvenirs :)

martinfamily5
10-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Yes, yes, yes. We leave Friday and I have been to Walmart everyday since Sunday buying something that has been forgotten. We also went to Kohls last week for new tennis shoes, socks and such. We spend a bunch before our trip ever starts. I don't buy travel size stuff anymore. There just isn't enough in them for 5 people.

luvdiznee
10-17-2007, 12:08 PM
:thedolls:Guilty. :(Last time I spent about $90 on stuff. From travel size to medicines to even new clothes for dd. I don't want to do that again. Ever.

MsMin
10-17-2007, 12:11 PM
I did the same last week but some of it did pay off. I bought a $1. travel size of Tide and the same thing was $4.59 in the resort only mine was liquid and easier to close. We also used the advil, bandaids, travel sz hair products. We tried to double up on things. I brought an LSU towel that we used instead of a flag and placed it in the back window and it doubled as a car blanket.
I keep my vacation $$ in a separate acct and take the travel items out of my regular budget. Remember if you were home you would be spending $$ on food so it usually balances out.

NJBelle
10-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Oh boy! Does this whole thread sound familiar to me! I'm very guilty of getting new clothes, travle size things, glow sticks, ect before going. Last time I went, my Mom and I sat on the couch and litterally bought a whole new wardrobe for everybody! And then of course, the night before we leave, we'll run to the dollar store or beauty store and buy all the little travel size Scopes, tooth paste, soaps, shampoos, make holders, jewlery holders, and lip gloss in the place. :D It's almost like a must do!

luvdiznee
10-17-2007, 12:29 PM
:thedolls:Guilty. :(One time I spent about $90 on stuff. From travel size to medicines to even new clothes for dd. I don't want to do that again. Ever.

LittleRoosMommy
10-17-2007, 09:13 PM
I'm also guilty of this! :blush: DH just shakes his head at me, but I don't feel like I have everything ready until I have my pre-trip shopping trip!! I usually end up buying travel size toiletries, sunscreen, medicines and of course a couple of new outfits for my DDs:mickey: We leave in 3 days and I'm going out tomorrow for my "last minute" shopping spree!:mickey:

Tink#64
10-17-2007, 11:54 PM
I always do alot of shopping before each trip. We have always gone in May so that's when I figure out that the kids summer clothes don't fit & they need all new stuff! I always buy a "few" :blush: new clothing items for DH & myself. Everyone always needs swim clothes, tennis shoes & socks, etc. I buy lots of snack stuff to carry in our packs & for the room & we take our breakfast food! So I start shopping months in advance picking up stuff as I go so it doesn't hit me all at once! I buy the little surprise things for the flight there for everyone, snacks, gum, magazines, etc. A friend of mine went with her family last year, also a DH & 2 DS's & she was surprised at much she spent on shopping before they even left for WDW! I told her we do it for each trip! But I, like many of you have given up on the travel size stuff. It's just not enough for family of 4 for 9 days! It's just easier to pack full size & know we have enough. But we are guilty of throwing the left over food items away to have enough room for all of the souvenears!:blush:

nicole48040
10-18-2007, 12:14 AM
It is funny that I should read your post today of all days. I just got "chastized" earlier today for this exact thing. My DH asked me why there was yet another disneyshopping.com on the credit card and I had to eat crow and tell him that I bought a few more disney "necessities". He then told me that if I keep buying these "necessities" there will soon be no money to actually go to WDW with! i would like to say that I will stop..........but I simply am OUT OF CONTROL!!!! What will I do with my life once the trip is over with :confused: Plan the next one I suppose :cool:

LizLovesDiz
10-18-2007, 12:52 AM
Oh my gosh,what is it about all of those little mini size travel things?I scope them out all of the time at every store I go into !!!:confused::mickey:

paulsheri
04-06-2011, 08:24 PM
It seems that we always need something

princessjojo
04-11-2011, 11:05 AM
:cart:Guilty! Only I don't buy travel sized items anymore. We travel around so much between camping and going to the beach among other places that it's no longer cost effective. Just buy regular sizes and keep them in a "go bag" that's always ready to go with shampoo, soap, deodorants, make-up and those handy-dandy laundry detergent sheets. I actually have a tote box for car trips that has everything except the kitchen sink, but it does have the dish detergent. This way we aren't always buying these things on every trip.

What I do do however is everyone gets new socks & underwear and they're packed still in their packages. We also get new shorts & t-shirts but usually because it's time for them anyways. Actually, I'm headed to Myrtle Beach this weekend so a-shopping I will go...

IloveDisney71
04-11-2011, 07:07 PM
I use to do the same thing then decided to start keeping most of my travel size things. as in shampoo soap and all. in my shaving kit for the next trip. seems like you always have that empty shaving kit laying around somewhere. So just keep the bottles for next time. Just saves a little time and money.

I do the same thing. I keep what doesn't get used because most of it doesn't expire between trips. :mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
04-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Nope--you're not the only one! :blush: For some reason I need a new (cheap) bag--used to be a small knapsack, now I've discovered the messenger bags and love them! Shirts, Mickey PJ's, and travel size goodies. Bubble bath and lots of gum, too! :mickey:

Pan
04-12-2011, 01:23 AM
We always have enough ibuprofin, bandaids, etc for the trip. but I always end up the day before buying way too much snack food for the drive down. And then, we bring most of it hame again! Better to have and not need then need and not have, I guess. Or, in my case, MUCH better to have to feed a 4 y.o., a 12 y.o. and me and mommy :eat:. Driving for Mommy =:sleepin:, the rest of us talk and graze for the entire trip!

mouseketeer mom
04-12-2011, 11:07 AM
I have pre trip shopping issues. I like to wear nice cute new things on the trips, I spend way too much before each trip on new clothes, pjs, flip flops, you name it. And not just for me, my kids too. Then theres the toiletries to pack and have enough of. I spend as much before the trip as I do on the trip. I'm not kidding!

KatieDuck22
04-12-2011, 01:29 PM
i didn't even read my moms comment, but we do that shopping like crazy! TJ Maxx twice a week! gotta keep stocked on the travel sized items:mickey:

PrettyMinnie
04-13-2011, 09:06 AM
I like to look and cute and be comfy when I go to Disney, and packing/buying for the trip is part of the planning process for me. Usually I find cute tops/sundresses/shorts that I just HAVE to have. :blush: One year I actually made myself a sundress for my trip, which turned out really well and got me excited! But yes, I shop, shop shop when getting ready to go to Disney!

MushuGrl
04-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Isn't it fun though? We also have our big "Shopping for the Trip" trip. Travel stuff, snacks to eat on the way, etc. Just makes the whole trip seem that much more REAL.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-18-2011, 10:39 PM
I have pre trip shopping issues. I like to wear nice cute new things on the trips, I spend way too much before each trip on new clothes, pjs, flip flops, you name it. And not just for me, my kids too. Then theres the toiletries to pack and have enough of. I spend as much before the trip as I do on the trip. I'm not kidding!

I can relate. I like to wear new things on the trip, too. Makes it seem more special.:)

princessjojo
04-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Actually did some of my shopping this weekend. Found some new sneakers (just enough time to get broken in right) and cute new t-shirts.

Just enough time left to start working on new stuff for everyone else in our family.

Oh, I think I may need something else...