PDA

View Full Version : Ride restrictions for height/weight?

vamaggie
10-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Are there any lists somewhere (besides the Passporter books) that show which rides may be more difficult for larger and/or taller riders? Do any rides have weight and/or height restrictions (max vs min)? We are going in a few weeks and this may be an issue with a few in our party. TIA!

pennsy22
10-17-2007, 01:18 AM
I have never seen a maximum height or weight restriction for any of the rides, but that doesn't mean that a larger person might not have trouble fitting into some of the seats, especially the ones that require seat belts. I have never seen someone turned away from a ride because of weight. The roller coasters are built with a lot of head room even though it might not look like it. I'm 6' and the only place that I've ever been able to put my arms up and touch anything is in SM when you are going through the tunnel at the beginning and end.:secret:

SpecJoe Magic
10-17-2007, 03:24 AM
There is a place at Intercot's info central called Large and In Charge at Walt Disney World that contains many posts by members about this topic. I am one of those posts. You can get to that page by clicking http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/misc/largeandincharge.asp

I'm close to 6'9'' while wearing my shoes, and I weigh about 280 lbs. The following information is based upon my physical attributes and some aspects of it may not apply to you and/or your party.

Minimum height requirements are enforced due to safety reasons, but there is no such thing as maximum height and/or weight limits. As long as a person meets the minimum height requirement and can fit into the ride vehicle with all safety restraints locked into position then that person is allowed to ride. I'll list the attractions that I tend to have more trouble with than others, and I'll explain methods that may help you fit more comfortably into the attractions.

Splash Mountain- So many people think that Space Mountian is the biggest problem, but Splash Mountain is even more difficult in my opinion. The reason being is because Splash Mountain's rows all have the same amount of leg room meaning that there are no options for seats with extra leg room like on Space Mountain. The only way that I can fit into Splash Mountain is by using what I call the "pretzel technique." It's done by crossing your ankles as you sit down and spreading your knees as far apart as possible while still remaining somewhat comfortable. I say somewhat comfortable because I don't think it's possible to be entirely comfortable while sitting in this position. I usually do ride with a person beside me but if that seems to be a problem, you can request a row by yourself, which will provide you with more room. I think that this attraction is worth the extra effort because it's one of the best at WDW in my opinion.

Space Mountain- Don't be scared to ride this just because some people seem to think you will hit your head on the supports. That is not true. I never duck during the ride, but I advise you to not raise your arms up or out to the side during the ride just in case. While the supports are close to each other, the darkness makes them appear closer than they actually are. There are three different seats in each rocket, and there are two rockets connected to each other. So, that means that seats 1 and 4, 2 and 5, and 3 and 6 are identical to each other. Do not sit in seats 2 or 5 because they are the middle seats on each rocket and provide the least amount of room. Seats 1 and 4 provide the most knee room due to there being no seat in front of you, but they lack room to stretch out your legs. Seats 3 and 6 are the largest seats, which allow you to stretch out your legs the most, but they don't provide quite as much knee room as seats 1 and 4. I prefer seats 3 and 6, but I'm willing to ride in seats 1 and 4 as well. My legs are also fairly wide. To keep the lap bar from squeezing and pinching my legs, I slide as far forward in the seat as possible before pulling down the lap bar so that my knees stick up higher and the lap bar is mostly up against my upper thighs once it is locked into place.

Rock 'n' Rollercoaster and Test Track- The ride vehicles on these two attractions are designed in a similar way regarding leg room. On Test Track, make sure you get a seat in the front (odd row number) because the back row has very little leg room. On Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, each individual car on the train has a front seat and a back seat. Once again, make sure to get in the front seat (odd row number).

Snow White and Winnie the Pooh- On both of these attractions, make sure you get a whole row to yourself. Winnie the Pooh has a T style lap bar. The design is meant for two legs on each side of the T. Just put one leg on each side of the T.

Goofy's Barnstormer, Backstage Studio Tour, and Mad Tea Party- These are three of the tightest fits in all of WDW when it comes to leg room. Fortunately, none of them are excellent attractions so missing them is not a big deal. I've only been on Goofy's Barnstormer once and that was several years ago so I don't remember much about the seating arrangement other than that it was uncomfortable. If you do ride the Backstage Studio Tour, use the pretzel technique and make sure the Cast Member knows not to put many people in the same row as you. I haven't been on the Mad Tea Party in a long time so the best advice I can give you is to not have any more than one other person in the tea cup with you, but it might even be better to be in a tea cup by yourself.

Pirates of the Caribbean and It's a Small World- The front row on both of these attractions has considerably more leg room than all of the other rows, but I can ride in the other rows as well as long as they don't put many people in the same row with me. Even so, the front row is still more comfortable.

Haunted Mansion- The ride vehicle has quite a bit of leg and head room and isn’t a problem unless you’re close to my height. I use my foot to keep the safety bar from lowering all of the way down onto my knees or I use the “pretzel technique” as described above.

Tomorrowland Indy Speedway- Just don't do it. It's not fun for anyone that drives on a regular basis, and it's impossible for tall people to get under the steering wheel.

Primeval Whirl- This one is not a big problem, but I find that it's better to have one side to yourself while the other people sit on the other side. It's all contained within the same ride vehicle.

Dinosaur- Supposedly either the front row or back row has more leg room than the two rows in the middle, but I can't tell much difference. Maybe a Cast Member can help you with it. This ride is a tight fit, and it's all a matter of finding a way to wedge yourself in there. The pretzel technique won't work here because of the design of the ride vehicles. It's worth the hassle in my opinion because it's a great ride. Besides, you may not have any problems with it at all.

Hub and Spoke rides- I haven't been on Dumbo since I was a kid, but I imagine that riding in an elephant by yourself would make things easier. Although, it may be possible to have someone else ride in the elephant with you. The same goes for Astro Orbitor. The Magic Carpets of Aladdin is better because it has two separate rows with more leg room. I think the back seat might have more leg room, but I'm not sure. I've never been on Triceratops Spin.

Big Thunder Mountain- This one is not a problem at all even with someone riding beside me. All rows have the same amount of leg room.

Mission: Space- This one might appear to be a problem, but I've found that it is quite comfortable.

Remember to talk with a Cast Member about it before being loaded into the ride vehicle if you have any concerns and request a particular row or seat if necessary.

vamaggie
10-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Thanks SpecJoe Magic!! I sent you a PM.

BritCody
10-17-2007, 08:02 AM
We went to WDW the last 2 years after a few years absence and I was worried about fitting on rides. On last years trip I weighed in at 490 and I am 6 '5, rather big. I didn't have too many problems at all. Space Mountain was tight and Dinosaur was tough on the knees,but I managed. I would say the biggest problem I had was Small World. We were towards the back and there were 3 people in our row. My knees were crushed against he back of the seat. I rode everything in the 4 parks and everything else was fine. At no time did I sit alone in a seat, I rode with my DS who is a teenager and he is slightly above average sized for his age.
Even though I know I fit on the rides I am excited about our next trip (one year from today), because since our last trip I have joined Dan Marino an lost 175lbs.

Goofy Pluto
10-17-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm 6'5". I have used the crossing-the-ankles technique on many rides. While not the most comfortable, it works and is bareable. I wish I could put my feet down flat on the floor of the rides for some stability, but it works OK.

I just wanted to say on Space Mountain, I've only ever been comfortable sitting in the front seat of either car. Not having that seat in front of you pressing against your knees is a great relief. I would recommend that.

Imagineer1981
10-17-2007, 02:36 PM
can't agree more on Space Mountain...seats 3 and 6

trackbarroness
10-18-2007, 09:23 AM
I agree that seats 3 and 6 have more leg room. I find that seats 1 and 4 offer less leg room then seats 3 and 6. Even seats 2 and 5 give me more leg room then seats 1 and 4.
Like someone posted earlier if the lap bar can not lock into place, please please don't ride becaause the lap bar is there for your safety.
Space Mountain is verly well known for going down unexpecting due to either a series of slow guest(s) or because something flagged a sensor. the only height restriction there is, is to keep little ones safe from riding an attraction that is known to make sudden stops in the ride area.

CM~Mserrano
10-19-2007, 05:36 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew if they had changed the turnstiles at HM since they made the refurbishment... Thanks :)

LCPZA
10-19-2007, 08:40 PM
My DH is Big and he had no problems. He has a 52' waist and BIG BOTTOM CALFS and can make it on everything.
HE just seems to have problems (BUT CAN MAKE IT) at the POTC turnstiles.
Don't worry. What I always did when he first started to go with me was watch for people his size and judge from that.

Mousefever
10-20-2007, 11:38 AM
We went to WDW the last 2 years after a few years absence and I was worried about fitting on rides. On last years trip I weighed in at 490 and I am 6 '5, rather big. I didn't have too many problems at all. Space Mountain was tight and Dinosaur was tough on the knees,but I managed. I would say the biggest problem I had was Small World. We were towards the back and there were 3 people in our row. My knees were crushed against he back of the seat. I rode everything in the 4 parks and everything else was fine. At no time did I sit alone in a seat, I rode with my DS who is a teenager and he is slightly above average sized for his age.
Even though I know I fit on the rides I am excited about our next trip (one year from today), because since our last trip I have joined Dan Marino an lost 175lbs.

Congratulations! That takes a lot of work! I hope you enjoy your trip next fall.

Amy

:dory:

PETE FROM NYC
10-20-2007, 12:50 PM
I was going to start a similar thread.
We went down last March.
DW is over 400# and pear shaped.
She could not fit thru many turnstiles, and could not fit in /on Spaceship Earth,Star Tours.Tomorrowland Transit,and a few others.
She did make it with Splash Mtn,Big Thunder, and many others.