PDA

View Full Version : What attraction has FP hurt the most?

Imagineer1981
10-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Fast Pass has been a great invention and it has been a much needed help on rides like Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, etc whos average wait time during peak season can go past 75 minutes. However, I think FP has also hurt many attractions such as Peter Pan in which it worked better without it. If you've noticed, HM lost its FP for this same reason.

Jeff
10-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Living with the Land. Used to be a walk-on but now a huge wait. I know this is a combination cause from Soarin and FP.

I enjoy this ride; it fit's with the theme of Epcot, but now I won't take the time to wait for it or use a fastpass on it.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Peter Pan!!!

The "regular" lines never seems to move...the FP line always has a long wait too...maybe they need to give out fewer FP's for it?

gtpooh
10-16-2007, 11:59 AM
While I agree it's hurt slow-loading rides like Peter Pan for those waiting standby, I still think it's better to have it as an option than not. As a mom with a young child (DS is 14 months now), it's nice to have an option for a ride like this to make the line as short as possible. :mickey:

me...
10-16-2007, 12:19 PM
And I think it's actually hurt Splash Mountain. (I'm biased I work there) I saw it first hand when our FP machines went down for a week for rehab. Our whole line was open and the wait was maybe 50 minutes. It was amazing and people were actually happy. And then you see things like we had to deal with yesterday. We had Pirates go down (re-ads coming back), Dream Flight was in park (love them to death but 400 people and 64 wheelchairs going through the exit kills our numbers) as well as we were giving out our full amount of FP and with Thunder not being opened we were slammed. So in the end we were handing out more FP's then we were getting through the line and the big wigs didn't care.

Sorry thats the end of my rant but in my opinion yeah it's a great system I just wish they would limit the FP more because it's killing us and making people unhappy.

Imagineer1981
10-16-2007, 02:01 PM
And I think it's actually hurt Splash Mountain. (I'm biased I work there) .

I couldn't agree more

biodtl
10-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Peter Pan!!!

The "regular" lines never seems to move...the FP line always has a long wait too...maybe they need to give out fewer FP's for it?

Last October, we were VERY frustrated with this ride. We didn't have FPs, because the line looked pretty short. Famous last words, of course. We barely moved. I know that it is a slow-loader, but I couldn't understand the wait. once we got to the front of the line, I saw what the problem was. There wasn't a line at FP, just people wandering in a few at a time. But the CM running the line was not letting any of us from the regular line in in-between the FP-ers.

Two people would come in the FP line, then there might be two more just heading for the line and instead of letting the regular line folks get on in-between, she was just waiting for FP people to approach. Of course, every time they would be let on, one or two more would be heading for the line and we'd start all over again. We started counting and found that she was letting 20-30 groups from the FP line (with 30+ seconds in between them) and then letting 1 or 2 from the regular line. It didn't seem particluarly efficient.

princessM0m
10-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Last October, we were VERY frustrated with this ride. We didn't have FPs, because the line looked pretty short. Famous last words, of course. We barely moved. I know that it is a slow-loader, but I couldn't understand the wait. once we got to the front of the line, I saw what the problem was. There wasn't a line at FP, just people wandering in a few at a time. But the CM running the line was not letting any of us from the regular line in in-between the FP-ers.

Two people would come in the FP line, then there might be two more just heading for the line and instead of letting the regular line folks get on in-between, she was just waiting for FP people to approach. Of course, every time they would be let on, one or two more would be heading for the line and we'd start all over again. We started counting and found that she was letting 20-30 groups from the FP line (with 30+ seconds in between them) and then letting 1 or 2 from the regular line. It didn't seem particluarly efficient.

I've had this problem too, on both PP and SM. I'm not begrudging the FP'ers their right to board, but they should be allowed to actually get to the entry point before the stand-by line is stopped.

Jasper
10-16-2007, 04:33 PM
We almost never go to WDW during the busy season so things may be different then, but during the times we go it seems to do more harm than good on just about every ride. We have noticed that in almost every case the regular line moved at about the same pace as the fast pass line!

MickeyandTink
10-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Despite the problems some people seem to be having, we found FP to be fantastic while we were there in September. It might need some tweaking, but I would hate to see them get rid of it.

GrmGrninGost
10-16-2007, 09:57 PM
I don't think it has "hurt" any of the rides. Even rides like Peter Pan, you get a FP, then go ride a few other things and come back. Now what did that hurt? You got to do a few things extra while you were waiting. I love FP! :mickey:

TBY2225
10-17-2007, 10:12 AM
We were there the last week of September and lines were short already. Fast Pass did help us on some rides such as Jungle Cruise and Peter Pan. It was hard to tell on the others because most of the time the fast passes didn't save us any time. The reason I say this is because most rides were walk ons so either way you were right at the front of the line.

goofysbabe
10-17-2007, 11:33 AM
I don't really think that the FP has hurt any rides. It's the way the CM's let FP'ssers in that hurts. The FP list a time frame for you to go to the line. When we've used FP's the CM's always let us go right at the time. If they would wait a few minutes then let so many go at a time and then the regular lines go in between I think that might work. It's just a thought - and I think they need to think more about how it works (Disney & the CM's) There must be a happpy medium somewhere in the mix.

Imagineer1981
10-17-2007, 11:41 AM
I've had this problem too, on both PP and SM. I'm not begrudging the FP'ers their right to board, but they should be allowed to actually get to the entry point before the stand-by line is stopped.

The CMs are supposed to run a 4 to 1 ratio for FP to Standby guests. So if you have 16 people go in FP, only 4 standby get to go. Unfortunately some CMs don't follow this, and I know from SM, if you are not paying attention, stand by can get very very backed up

me...
10-17-2007, 12:38 PM
4 to 1 is the norm but there are many factors that lead into it that many don't understand. People coming back later in the day with early FPs backs up the lines. If other rides go down that backs up the FP line. If we had a down time earlier in the day that backs up the FP line. If we have slow people loading. If guests aren't listening or paying attention to what rows we put them in that backs up the line. If we have intrusions(ie people getting off the ride while it is moving) that backs up the line.

We have an obligation to the FP to get them in usually in 15 minutes or less but with all those factors it is hard. And that is the reason we call the regular line the stand by line because you are standing by and waiting

crltkcagle
10-17-2007, 12:45 PM
we went in september and hardly had to use fast pass for anything. we walked right onto peter pan, winnie the pooh, dumbo and the teacups. no wait. i guess we got really lucky!

Taja
10-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Fastpass definitely hurt Peter Pan. Or helped it, depending on one's point of view!

This was a C ticket ride. Very few people rode it. I could not believe the queues after FP became available. It's as though FP validates the ride. It's a cute ride, but... :shrug:

SBETigg
10-17-2007, 01:53 PM
4 to 1 is the norm but there are many factors that lead into it that many don't understand. People coming back later in the day with early FPs backs up the lines. If other rides go down that backs up the FP line. If we had a down time earlier in the day that backs up the FP line. If we have slow people loading. If guests aren't listening or paying attention to what rows we put them in that backs up the line. If we have intrusions(ie people getting off the ride while it is moving) that backs up the line.

We have an obligation to the FP to get them in usually in 15 minutes or less but with all those factors it is hard. And that is the reason we call the regular line the stand by line because you are standing by and waiting

So maybe FP would work more efficiently with Standby if the CMs actually followed the expiration times on the FPs? Is that what you mean? It sounds like a good idea.

me...
10-17-2007, 03:12 PM
And sometimes I wish we could follow the times on the FP but as one of my managers said We are not Universal.

SBETigg
10-17-2007, 03:43 PM
And sometimes I wish we could follow the times on the FP but as one of my managers said We are not Universal.

This argument makes no sense. Then why post windows of time at all? Why not just say "here's your fastpass, good for whenever you want to use it?" Quite a few CMs do follow the times on the Fastpass to my experience, and I think things work more smoothly when they do.

Victor Kelly
10-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Peter Pan. We got in line when it said 45 minutes. 45 minutes later we were in the same exact place in line, no movement. People just started leaving the line and going somewhere else. For me, it ruined Peter Pan completely.

Any ride with a constant load capability even if slow should not have FP. Constant load is definied by me as people getting off at the same time others are getting on. Wedway, PP, Space Ship Earth, etc.

I have also seen fastpass waits (IN LINE) that were equal to standby time, once the line formed up. Example Space Mountain, only one side running, the fastpass line really ended just as you go underground, the standby was just outside the entrance.

I have never been a fan of fastpass. It has its merits and can be used very effectively on an individual basis. It is essentially wait and shop then get in line quick. In reality you are still waiting, just not in line. I use it rarely because I only go during off season times.

I prefer the old way, everyone waits in one line, waits their turn, and then gets back into another line to do it all over again.

me...
10-17-2007, 06:28 PM
This argument makes no sense. Then why post windows of time at all? Why not just say "here's your fastpass, good for whenever you want to use it?" Quite a few CMs do follow the times on the Fastpass to my experience, and I think things work more smoothly when they do.

Darlin I know it makes no sense but that is how it works. We've had many debates in my area and me and my fellow CMs hate it but we are there to please the guest. If we didn't accept late FPs wed have more guest complaints on our hands. People get mad when I don't let them use them the following day.

AXOAlum
10-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Fastpass definitely hurt Peter Pan. Or helped it, depending on one's point of view!

This was a C ticket ride. Very few people rode it. I could not believe the queues after FP became available. It's as though FP validates the ride. It's a cute ride, but... :shrug:

Oh I disagree - we've been going to WDW on a regular basis since I was 5 weeks old (1973) and I honestly don't remember anytime that PP is not backed up - either pre FP or now. That's why we hit it 2nd when we arrive at the MK (at opening - just after Dumbo) so we don't get caught in the long lines (FP or otherwise). It may be/have been a C ticket ride, but I definitely disagree that "very few people rode it" :mickey:

Speedy1998
10-17-2007, 08:50 PM
I don't think it has "hurt" any of the rides. Even rides like Peter Pan, you get a FP, then go ride a few other things and come back. Now what did that hurt? You got to do a few things extra while you were waiting. I love FP! :mickey:

What it hurts is that the lines for everything with FP are much longer than they were in the pre fastpass days. In someways I think it hurts the WDW experience overall during the busy season. If you are not there early enough to get a fastpass (11am for some rides) you do not have a chance of riding that ride with less than a 1 1/2 wait. I have also run into experiences where the fastpass line was 45 minutes long.

To get on my :soapbox: the biggest problem with fastpass is it seems to do the exact opposite of what it was originally intended to do. The original idea was that it would distribute the crowds in the park better. In the pre fastpass days the strategy that the most experienced guest used was to hit the popular attractions first thing when there was no line, than spend the rest of the day doin the less popular attractions. Now people run in to grab a fastpass, and ignore the line that is only 10 minutes long, only to come back for their fastpass time when the line is 45 minutes long and getting longer because of all the people returning with fastpass. Sorry I got long winded, I just think fastpass is making line problems worse at WDW instead of better.

Speedy1998
10-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Although if the rumors are true that Disney is thinking about giving extra fast passes to Resort guest than you are starting act a little like them. If I remeber correctly there copy of fastpass started out as a perk for their resort guest. Than morphed into the current system where you can buy the pass.

Speedy1998
10-17-2007, 09:06 PM
The CMs are supposed to run a 4 to 1 ratio for FP to Standby guests. So if you have 16 people go in FP, only 4 standby get to go. Unfortunately some CMs don't follow this, and I know from SM, if you are not paying attention, stand by can get very very backed up

Ouch, no wonder the Standby lines never move. Personnally standing in line watching how fastpass and standby line are handled I have thought on many rides that it was extremly inefficent. I think the ideal situation would be to adjust the number of fastpasses so that a 50/50 split would keep the fastpass line at 15 min or less, and would drastically reduce the wait in the Standby lines.

sheepishlambert
10-17-2007, 09:19 PM
none I love FP.

kimommy63
10-17-2007, 09:20 PM
:hi:I don't like to pick a side on this particular subject because I know it's a hotly debated topic on this site and well- I just like to get along with everybody! Having said that, I don't really understand why FP is so hated. Each time we come to the World we use FP. We're not big fans of 45 minute or longer lines. We've got a young son who just will not do it. But FP really helps us out. We always use it during the time frame and have never had a terribly long wait with one (never more than 20 minutes if my memory is accurate). I never understood the sullen looks:envy: from the stand by line folks. I mean, why don't they just get a FP? They're available to everyone right? We manage to hit all the rides we want to ride in one day (and we pretty much do them all) every time we go. I'll admit, we only go once a year, and if we were there more often, we might run into a problem, but I can't think of why so many people have such difficulty with it. Am I naively not seeing something? It's totally possible that I am. I'm like that sometimes. :blush:

SBETigg
10-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Darlin I know it makes no sense but that is how it works. We've had many debates in my area and me and my fellow CMs hate it but we are there to please the guest. If we didn't accept late FPs wed have more guest complaints on our hands. People get mad when I don't let them use them the following day.

Well, I am all for making your job easier. And not just because you called me darlin :blush: Thanks for doing what you do.

I do like the Fastpass system and think it has generally improved things in the park. I'm not sure how it has affected rides like Peter Pan because that ride has always had long lines to my experience.

January-2007
10-18-2007, 09:13 AM
I think Fast Passes have hurt Space Mountain. On one of our trips we waited stand by for Space Mountain and the CM letting people from both lines go further to wait in the line to board was so mean. Seriously. He treated everybody in the stand by line like second class citizens, being rude, talking down, not letting anyone on. I refuse to wait in that line stand by anymore unless the park has just opened and the problems haven't started yet. It's too bad too, because the queue is neat with the stars and pictures of space. Some CMs just need a lesson on curtosy, then maybe there wouldn't be as many problems. Then again, people following the rules associated with the Fast Pass would help too. But that's another thread entirely.

princessM0m
10-18-2007, 09:42 AM

This point is well-taken but that does not mean that stand-by riders should wait for FP riders to walk from the head of the FP line to the end and unfortunately this is what I've seen a lot of CMs do, ESPECIALLY on PP and SM, the ones with the longest stand-by times. If a FP rider is not at the entry point then the stand-by line should not be held up waiting for them. Will the CM hold up the stand-by line for that 4th FP rider if no one is coming? Probably not, because that would not make sense. Neither does holding up the stand-by line waiting for a FP rider to walk up. The FP rider wouldn't wait any longer for their ride, because the stand-by line would be stopped again when they reached the entry point.

I love FP, I use it a lot, but this aspect of the system is counterproductive for those whose plans don't fit into FP return times.

me...
10-18-2007, 10:06 AM
That does not make any sense to me. If I know there is no one with the party I just sent down the FP line coming up I send that Stand by line and make sure they keep walking until FP comes up. I hate cutting the stand by line but it's what I'm there to do.

I also hate when people get mad when they are waiting a while at the merge point. It really isn't done on a time basis it's done on the 80-20 ratio. Once I get my 80. There will be 20 or more going down from stand by. So make sure to always keep up with that person in front of you filling ALLL available space : )

Taja
10-18-2007, 12:24 PM
:hi:I don't like to pick a side on this particular subject because I know it's a hotly debated topic on this site and well- I just like to get along with everybody! Having said that, I don't really understand why FP is so hated. Each time we come to the World we use FP. We're not big fans of 45 minute or longer lines. We've got a young son who just will not do it. But FP really helps us out. We always use it during the time frame and have never had a terribly long wait with one (never more than 20 minutes if my memory is accurate). I never understood the sullen looks:envy: from the stand by line folks. I mean, why don't they just get a FP? They're available to everyone right? We manage to hit all the rides we want to ride in one day (and we pretty much do them all) every time we go. I'll admit, we only go once a year, and if we were there more often, we might run into a problem, but I can't think of why so many people have such difficulty with it. Am I naively not seeing something? It's totally possible that I am. I'm like that sometimes. :blush:

Well, for some of us (definitely yours truly!), the issue is that fastpasses for some attractions are completely distributed early in the morning. If I have a short WDW visit (5 days or less), my body never adapts to the time change. Added to that, I get very little sleep for two or three days prior to the trip--just too much to do at work and home. If I make it to the parks by 11:00 a.m., it's a miracle. If the visit is longer, I may be able to arrive at a park early enough for the popular FPs.

I would like to see FPs distributed more evenly throughout the day, with some available later for those of us who live in the wrong time zone! *LOL*

Since the world doesn't revolve around me--regardless of how much I would like it to do so--I'm not holding my breath for a possible change! ;)

CandleontheWater
10-18-2007, 06:26 PM
I really don't get the hostility to fastpass on these boards. I traveled many times to WDW in the pre-fastpass days and remember waiting in lines much longer than they are today. Utalizing fastpass properly, I can hit all headliner attractions in one day, something that would be nearly impossible if I had to wait in 45 min or more for each attraction. I also have seen very few instances when all the fastpasses were gone for an attraction before 11 am, and I've been in the parks 31 days so far this year. I've been to the parks on 4th of July, all major 3 day weekends, Thanksgiving, Easter and Christmas, and without fastpass, I'd never be able to get anything done when the parks are super crowded. I don't actually think fastpass "hurts" any attractions. If those people didn't have a fastpass, they'd probably be in line in front of you and the wait would be just as long. The ride has the same capacity and the same amount of people waiting to ride regardless of fastpass. Getting a fastpass just gives you the option of not waiting 75 mins for Peter Pan, a choice I'll gladly take!

Speedy1998
10-18-2007, 06:49 PM
For those of you who are so supportive of fastpass I have a question. Seeing as it sounds like you never wait in line unless you have a fastpass how are you getting so many fastpasses? Due to the fact that I can only pull one about once every 2 hours I have never gotten more than three before the fastpasses were completely gone (unfortunately because my wife is a teacher we can only go during the busy times of the year).

SandmanGStefani24
10-18-2007, 06:52 PM
i'm probably the minority here, but I don't think FP has ever (or will ever) hurt any attraction. I have no desire to stand in the heat for an hour or more waiting to get on a ride, when i could be seeing something else, eating, riding something, ect...I don't mind queue areas, but it doesn't mean I like waiting for hours either. FASTPASS RULES!!

indytraveler
10-18-2007, 08:54 PM
I guess from a standby ride Peter Pan's line is the worse. Maybe Pooh. I will only ride those rides with a FP. If I don't then NO WAY!!! About the only ride with FP that I'll wait standby for is Buzz. Jungle Cruise and BTMRR I ride early in day before it gets backed up so I don't need FP

DadTriton
10-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Rockin Roller Coaster fast pass wait used to be 40 min.
They changed it this year - a lot faster.

DisneyGiant
10-18-2007, 10:19 PM
For those of you who are so supportive of fastpass I have a question. Seeing as it sounds like you never wait in line unless you have a fastpass how are you getting so many fastpasses? Due to the fact that I can only pull one about once every 2 hours I have never gotten more than three before the fastpasses were completely gone (unfortunately because my wife is a teacher we can only go during the busy times of the year).

Adding my voice to LOVE LOVE LOVING the fastpass system! We go during the busiest times of year too - due to school issues.

Our secret is - we try to go at park opening, and grab a fast pass for the first attraction we want - then we go on other attractions - while waiting for the time. As soon as it says you can get another one - you send one of your family to the next attraction and get the next fast pass.

I'll use MK as an example - if we go first thing in the morning, or at early opening - we'll send someone to Space to get the fast pass - then we do everything in Fantasyland - there are no lines - hence no need to fast pass Peter or Winnie. By the time we do this - its time to ride Space. But before we ride Space - if its ok to do so (the fast pass says we can get another one) - we send someone to Splash to get those fast passes. Then we ride Space.

Then while we're waiting for the Splash time - we'll do the People Mover, Carousel of Progress, Stitch ... etc.

After Splash - we'll try Big Thunder if the return time is not too late. When its busy - sometimes the return time can be later that evening! If we can't do it - we'll do it another day.

My line tolerance is 30 minutes - if its over 30 - we don't do it. I have terrible sciatica - and my legs start to burn at 20-30 minutes standing still.

Fast Pass has revolutionized our enjoyment of the parks.

And yes, we occasionally go back after the time frame listed - this is usually due to the fact of having an ADR at the same time the fast pass says, or a parade conflict - sometimes you have no control over this. This is "ok" by WDW, so we do it.

We've never tried to use a previous day's pass though. That is not allowed.

kimommy63
10-18-2007, 10:56 PM
:mickey: Me again. Maybe I've been incredibly lucky or something. We arent usually at the parks at the rope drop...more like around 930 or 10. Sometimes even later (I move slow in the am myself and after all it is a vacation). Anyways, even with a late start we've never run into the problem of all fast passes gone. Well, that's not true actually. Expedition Everest was one time on our last trip and Soarin was on the trip before. But I know it's because the rides are either really new or newish and popular. We knew we might miss those rides if we didnt get there early, so we made a point to hit the park a second time just for the purpose of hitting those rides early, then we went back to the park that was on the agenda for that day. I guess it would be nicer if they did distribute them out on an hourly basis so that late arrivers would have a chance, but like the other poster said, it's unlikely that they will change it for us late risers:sleepin::blush:

albino_pygmy
12-19-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm also not a fan of the FP system. As a guest, I didn't mind it since it was just an option, and didn't really pay much attention to how it really worked and affected the standby. As a CM, I tend to notice a lot more things about FP. All I've seen it do is cause more harm than good. It's just a big cause of stress for most CM's and the guests who are trying to use or abuse the FP system. It's "ruined" several families entire vacation because their FP ticket conflicted with dinner, or the CM wouldn't let them in 10 minutes before their ticket's posted time. Not everyone knows it or fully understands the system, so we're always answering questions trying to clarify how to use it (even though it is rather tempting to tell them they really are better off to wait it out in the standby line.)

As for the attraction FP hurts the most: Peter Pan, with Jungle Cruise near the top of the list too because it does seem pointless to have FP there too :)

chrisb26
12-19-2008, 06:55 PM
I can really see both sides of this. I personally really like the FP system and use it on a bunch of rides such as Test Track and Soarin' I don't like waiting in line. However I can also understand for those that wait in the Stand By as I've done it before and have seen it take longer at times because of the amount of people that they let on with a FP while making the Stand By wait. I think if it was tweaked or followed by the 4 to 1 thing it would work pretty well. I know it would also since I've seen several times where several FP went by then they stopped the line and several Stand By went by it worked pretty well.

I think it depends on how long it is until your fast pass return time is. I know I have gotten it before and not had to wait 2 hours for my next one. This is especially true if your return time is before that 2 hours you would have to wait closer to when the return time is. Although that is different when the FP get used up fast I think it does that to limit the amount of FP people get. Which I think helps otherwise people would hord all the FP :D