PDA

View Full Version : What's with the Peter Pan ride?

Dyanna
10-16-2007, 09:58 AM
We went to Mk twice last week & both times the limes for this ride had a wait of 40 minutes or more when the other rides around it only had a 20 min wait. We did not think it was worth getting a fastpass for so we skipped it altogether. Is it that good?

JuicyMoose17
10-16-2007, 10:00 AM
I don't think it's worth a 40 minute wait, but it is the best kiddie ride, in my opinion...

Roger's #1 Fan
10-16-2007, 10:04 AM
It's a classic and I believe virtually unchanged original ride which speaks to its universal appeal. (and 40 min wait) We have caught it during EMH and later in the evenings during parade and fireworks times, with little to no wait.

It is definitely worth it. :thumbsup:

laprana
10-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Peter Pan is a definite Must-Do for us on every trip! We usually try to ride it during EMH when the lines aren't so long, but even then there can be quite a wait. To me, it's a ride that is worth the wait just because it's a classic! A trip to MK without Peter Pan just wouldn't be the same for us!:peter:

WDWfanatic742
10-16-2007, 10:33 AM
The Load/Unload is different from most rides, so you figure that a little of the extra wait is because of that. It handles pretty good crowds though. Whenever I pass it, it is always at least a 45 minute wait. Finally got the nerve to ride it the last time I was there and we were right at the front and they had to stop the ride for about a half hour :mad:. I think it was because someone had dropped their backpack and the CM's had to go get it or something.

Imagineer1981
10-16-2007, 10:35 AM
You would think the a ride that is consistantly moving would load people so much faster, but for some reason, its always a long wait, I've seen 90 minutes in July!!! This is one attraction where FP has actually hurt the ride

RBrooksC
10-16-2007, 10:52 AM
I would also not classify this ride as a "kiddie ride." This, along with the other rides in Fantasy Land, is a classic "dark ride." Unfortunately "dark rides" are not as in vogue as they used to be and Disney is one of the only places where good, classic dark rides (I am talking quality attraction) can be found.

One used to be able to find these rides all up and down the Eastern seaboard in Wildwood, Ocean City, NJ, Coney Island. Many of those had great effects and wonderful props.

I am glad that these rides are still there and always try to make my first stop to be these rides.

Ian
10-16-2007, 10:58 AM
If you have to ask, the answer is probably no. ;)

Peter Pan is a fun, classic ole Disney dark ride, but I think most of it's value comes from the nostalgia factor.

That, along with the whole flying element that appeals to kids, is probably what makes the line so long. I know it's a HUGE favorite of our family for those very reasons.

Lynn J Mc
10-16-2007, 10:59 AM
The lines for this ride amaze me. However, my niece rode it 9 times in 4 days when she was 4. That was 2 years ago. We would all get a fast pass and then take turns riding with her to maximize her ride time. She was the only child with 4 adults. The one time she didn't have a fast pass and we had to wait 45 minutes she said she didn't care she would just wait. The CM working the line got to know us and gave us a fast pass good for any ride we chose but PP. That got her on Buzz Lightyear. Finally.

buzznwoodysmom
10-16-2007, 11:00 AM
This is a must do for us as my youngest son is a huge peter pan fan. We always head straight to Fantasyland when entering MK first thing in the morning. The teacups, Peter Pan, Philhamagic and IASW are all almost walk ons at this time.

irish1967
10-16-2007, 11:27 AM
There are ALOT of children that think that it is worth it!

I stood in that line, many times, when my children were younger (pre-FP days!) My children were absolutely willing to wait and so we did.

It is a ride that we definitely try to hit each visit.

We stood in line for Dumbo (once again for our children), too!

crazeedizneefinatic
10-16-2007, 11:40 AM
The line always baffles me also. The continuous moving of the "boats" would have to make it go faster, nope! We found even a few weeks ago when we were there the line was longer than the HM that just got refurbished! We really do love the ride, why? who knows, maybe nostalgia? It goes pretty quick for such a long wait. We used fast pass for this ride, definately.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-16-2007, 11:45 AM
I don't know what it is, but Peter Pan is just awesome...everyone in our family LOVES it (DD could go on it again and again, but we limit her to a couple of times a day).

I think it is because that it such a cute ride, with the "flying", just a classic ride, a ride that everyone in the family can do and enjoy together.

mickeys_princess_mom
10-16-2007, 12:18 PM

That, along with the whole flying element that appeals to kids, is probably what makes the line so long. I know it's a HUGE favorite of our family for those very reasons.

I know it appeals to this "kid"! Once again, Walt DIsney makes a dream come true....Never gonna grow up or get tired of this ride:cloud9:

ibrowse17
10-16-2007, 12:24 PM
While this has been one of my all time favorites, the line makes me go :huh:

#1donaldfan
10-16-2007, 12:25 PM
That ride is truly a classic !!!! The detail is awesome, so for us to wait 40 mins is no problem....I've waited longer for it. However, we try to get to it very early and the wait is much, much less. You should not have skipped it. If I go to Disney, you can bet I'll be on that ride at least once. Next time you go, please try to fit it in......

thrillme
10-16-2007, 01:04 PM
We got lucky one time and there wasn't much of a wait for a change. I wasn't impressed. The little boat carried us over "statues" they really didn't even move or anything. I expected a LOT more. Both DS and I couldn't figure the appeal.

rnin02
10-16-2007, 01:47 PM
We skipped it this trip, we had to. Everytime we walked by, the wait was at least 40 mins, alot of times more. And Fast Pass was not worth it...the times to return were times we couldn't be there (can't remember why now). I like this ride, but I can't say its worth that long of a wait.

McGoofy
10-16-2007, 03:33 PM
I love this ride and because it is a Disney classic, I would say that it is worth trying at least once. We are always baffled at how this line is always long. I rarely see a wait under 40 minutes--even at "off times" when the parks aren't that busy and there's not too much of a wait at other rides. We will ride it if we don't have to wait too long, but if it is over 30 minutes we typically skip it. On Hallween night at the MNSSHP a couple of years ago, my DS went as Peter Pan. We started to get in line, but a cast member pulled us aside and told DS "This is your ride." and pulled our family up to the front of the line. The CM told us that they were letting anybody that was in a Peter Pan costume that night get to the front of the line! That was a sweet surprise!:peter::tink:

11 more days and counting for me!!!!!:mickey:

TBY2225
10-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Peter Pan is my favorite ride in Fantasyland. It is a must every trip. The line does seem to always be long unless you go first thing when the park opens. In 2006 we actually rode it 3 times in a row first thing in the morning. It just seems so magical to me. At one point you "fly over London" and it just amazes me everytime. The whole ride is just truly Disney magic. I would highly recommend you try it at least once. I think you would be hooked!

septembergirl
10-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Peter Pan is a favorite of mine. It is the nostalgia element for us. I remember riding it as a little girl and again as a teenager and being caught up in the magic of it. Now my DD4 is a huge Peter Pan fan and we would hate to miss it.
We rode twice on our last trip - once with a FP and again at the very end of the evening EMH. I wanted it to be the last ride we rode before leaving WDW. It is a very slow loading ride because it only has so many ships and they only sit 3 people at most (or 4 very small people). I wouldn't wait 40 minutes for any ride but I definitely think it's worth a FP or checking on every so often.

MickeyandTink
10-16-2007, 04:47 PM
I had never ridden Peter Pan before on my two prior trips to MK at WDW (albeit almost 20 and 25 years ago), but rode it for the first time last month. Despite not being a huge Pan fan, I found it to be the absolute best ride in Fantasyland. There is just something different about it, maybe the "flying" over London and Never-Never land.

I could do without riding Pooh and Snow White again, but Peter Pan is now on the must do list.

mousetrapper
10-16-2007, 05:16 PM
I also think Peter Pan's Flight is worth the wait!

The one that makes me go :huh: is Dumbo!

Sorry, I know it's a cute ride, but I don't think it's worth waiting in those long lines!

LibertyTreeGal
10-16-2007, 06:02 PM
It's amazing, the best dark ride there is. My boys were amazed that we were riding in pirate ships!

kbean
10-16-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm 29 and i love that ride. But the last two times I went, it as a 40min wait. So I skipped it. It's worth waiting and riding at least once if never been on it. You ride a ship that is suspended in the air, and the scenes are somewhat below you. Like the ET ride if you have been on that.

disneydeb
10-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Peter Pan is my favorite ride in Fantasyland. I rode it at least 2X last week.:thumbsup:

scorchio321
10-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Oh that is nothing. At DL you will wait 2-3 hours (no Fastpass there) during the summer and an hour at least off season. Thanksgiving or Christmas weekend is also like summer hours.

Go figure.

But I love the ride. I do, I do. I am 44 and can't wait to get on the ride but we go first thing as the line is longer than Indiana Jones or Space Mountain.

Again: Go figure.

Gina

Mickeydream
10-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Peter Pan is on our "must do" list while at MK. I can't imagine visiting without going on PP even with the long wait. The flying, the sights over London, Never-Never Land...love it all! We'll be there in just over 30 days and all I have to say is....Peter Pan, here we come. :peter:

Mickey 101
10-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Peter Pan is my favorite ride in Fantasyland. It is a must every trip. The line does seem to always be long unless you go first thing when the park opens. In 2006 we actually rode it 3 times in a row first thing in the morning. It just seems so magical to me. At one point you "fly over London" and it just amazes me everytime. The whole ride is just truly Disney magic. I would highly recommend you try it at least once. I think you would be hooked!

Ditto! We are ride junkies, with faves being RnRC and EE, but my teenage DD always says PPF is the most magical ride at WDW. I couldn't agree more. We never miss it! :cloud9:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
10-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Peter Pan is our favorite ride in Fantasyland and easily the only ride that we never get bored of. We ride it a few times each day, each year. We do not even do that with Splash or BTMRR.

We usually FP it once and we will wait on the line for as long as 40-45 minutes.

We would never skip it. It is a family must do for us. :peter:

As for figuring out the constant long lines..It is a little weird. But, they won't stop us!;)

Vintage Disney
10-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Peter Pan is my favorite WDW ride.:mickey: There's just something special about it. I love the music in this ride, It's like being a kid again.

GrmGrninGost
10-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Yes, this 44 year old kid thinks it's that good! :mickey:

Aggie97
10-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Peter Pan is my favorite MK ride. It's always our last ride on the last night of each WDW trip. :mickey:

pennsy22
10-17-2007, 12:59 AM
It's a nice ride but I'm not going to wait 40 minutes or more to ride it. If we don't FP it then we don't ride it.

goofysbabe
10-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Don't know about a 40 min. wait, but I'd fastpass it. I just love it - the scenes of London I think are great! It's just a classic, a can't miss. The first couple of times we've gone we didn't ride due to wait times. But now we just fastpass it if the wait is to bad.

mouseketeer mom
10-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Its one of those feel good rides. Classic Disney, and to us, it feels magical. We love it.

DizNee143
10-17-2007, 09:27 AM
i never remember the line being as bad as it has been for the pass few years..its like all of a sudden it got real popular again..its one of my favorites and i barely get on it anymore...becuase the wait always seems to be too crazy!!

grumpyguy
10-17-2007, 09:32 AM
pp is my sentimental favorite.it's really the only
ride i remember from my very first visit to wdw when i was a kid.it is ritual for pp to be the first ride we do every trip.the long lines are evidence of pans universal appeal:thumbsup:

mickey&missy
10-17-2007, 10:09 AM
We love Peter Pan! Peter Pan is my favorite classic Disney movie and DS loves it too! He was actually describing the ride to our 4 month old yesterday! Very cute!

We only ever gone on when we got a fastpass. Even then one time we waited a good 20 minutes. I remember DH saying "I thought this was supposed to be fast"

Its definitely a can't miss for us!

princessM0m
10-17-2007, 10:41 AM
She was the only child with 4 adults.

There are no adults in Never Never Land.

KAJUNKING
10-17-2007, 10:54 AM
we didnt get to ride it while we were there last month and although i really enjoy it everytime we were in the area the line was at least 40 mins long, and this was in sept when space mtn was walk on, cant imagine what pp is like in june or july

offwego
10-17-2007, 11:43 AM
For me it's nostalgia (for my DH & Ds it's indulging my nostalgia albeit they both love the different "scenes and have their own fave's now).

The lines can be long (so much so that once when we had a zero wait time we took a photo of it) but the charm of the less frentic action/soundtrack etc has it's place.

Peter Pan was the first Disney book I can remember having and by far the most vivid memory of my first trip circa 1978 or so..and thus will always hold a special spot for me. (mind you Space Mountian ranked up there but now that they have restraints it's just not quite the same as when your grandpa lets go of you to grab his glasses!)

Von-Drake
10-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Peter Pan is my 4 year old son's favorite ride. Over a 3 day period in August we rode it 8 times. It is a ride he can easily relate to a movie. There is really not too many of them. For example another movie favorite of his is Toy Story, but the Buzz Lightyear ride has few elements of either of the actual movies so it is harder for him to relate it to the movies he has seen numerous times.

DadTriton
10-18-2007, 09:27 PM
To ride this, along with Winne and Dumbo, hit it first thing in the park after opening.
By 11am - forget it.:peter:

EPCOT84
10-18-2007, 09:49 PM
:tink:...Nostalgia, childhood dreams.

There's something about going off to Neverland, flying over London, that appeals to the child and the child in everyone

Happy Halloween :mpumpkin:

IloveDisney71
10-18-2007, 09:54 PM
I also enjoy riding Peter Pan, it takes me back to my childhood. However, I won't wait in line for over 20 minutes to ride it. I'm always sad to miss it though. I'll have to try hitting it first thing in the morning. I usually don't make it to Fantasyland until the afternoon, I just assumed the lines for it were always long.

DadTriton
10-18-2007, 10:04 PM
I also enjoy riding Peter Pan, it takes me back to my childhood. However, I won't wait in line for over 20 minutes to ride it. I'm always sad to miss it though. I'll have to try hitting it first thing in the morning. I usually don't make it to Fantasyland until the afternoon, I just assumed the lines for it were always long.

That's the trick - everyone goes to the nearest attractions first and the big coasters. If you all the way back to Fantasyland first thing, you can complete most of it Dumbo, Peter, Pooh within 1 hour.:secret:

TIGGER17179
10-19-2007, 04:08 PM
Yeah I don't get it either. The Pooh ride is the same way, with the 40 minute or more wait. We like to do them because they are classic rides but the last 3 times we have been we had to skip them both all together. There is no air in the lines either which make it worse. Snow white is usually backed up too but not as bad. :confused:

Red Randal
10-19-2007, 04:50 PM
I'm perfectly fine with skipping it (though it's much better than the other Fantasyland dark rides) but I know it is a favorite of many many people. I tend to refuse to wait 45 minutes for ANYTHING unless I absolutely have to, so it's rarely on the top of my "to do" list. I always make sure to hit it up if I'm lucky enough to stumble upon a short wait though.

AdventurerKim
10-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Riding Peter Pan is nostalgia for me, but I wouldn't wait in the long lines for it. We always FP this. :mickey:

queen2princesses
10-20-2007, 10:08 PM
We go to Fantasyland at night when there is a parade. Our last two trips it has worked out for us. This year when we arrived @ 7:30 Peter Pan was a 50 min wait. When we returned at 8:30 (we did all the other rides in that time) Peter Pan was a 10 min wait. The best part was that we were already in Fantasyland for Wishes!

mickeys_princess_mom
10-21-2007, 03:41 PM
:tink:...Nostalgia, childhood dreams.

There's something about going off to Neverland, flying over London, that appeals to the child and the child in everyone

Happy Halloween :mpumpkin:
:high5: :dance:

Altair
10-21-2007, 04:22 PM
This ride is FastPass run amok. Those is the FastPass line never slow down and walk right on, while the only reason the stand-by line moves is because of people bailing out of it. IMO this is the worst implementaion of FastPass at WDW. Test Track has the best. It has three lines and they all move.

Go to this ride within the first hour of park opening. You can ride all attractions in Fantasy Land multiple times during that time period without FastPass.:mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
10-21-2007, 08:08 PM
Loading and unloading can be difficult which tends to slow the wait down. Plus the queue is deceptive because of how it snakes around.

It is one of the best dark rides in WDW :peter:

Floridian Yeti
10-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Peter Pan is definitely my favorite ride in Fantasyland, and -- for me -- it's worth the wait.

Why?
1. It's a classic dark ride
2. I love the story
3. When I was little, I had a crush on Wendy...I still think she's cute, too :mickey:
4. It's my dad's favorite ride (he's 80 this year)

brownie
10-22-2007, 10:25 AM
It's good. A 40 minute wait would be pushing it for me, but if I might get a fastpass if I was able to.

Taja
10-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Both Peter Pan and Pooh were walk-ons during MNSSHP in October 2006. We actually rode around twice--very few people were in line at that moment!

Peter Pan and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride terrified me at Disneyland when I was a child. The doors between scenes "whooshed" open and "clanged" shut. They were "C" tickets and we pretty much considered them to be filler rides when we were in our teens and as young adults.

This still isn't my favourite attraction at MK--doesn't even make the top 10. But as an adult I see all of the detail involved and certainly appreciate it!