PDA

View Full Version : Time for Pixie Dust for dad... again

Here we go again...
10-16-2007, 12:29 AM
Well, here we are again. Dad has cancer... again.

Many of you have been down this road with me many times and know the story. For those that are new, I will give you a brief recap.

In 2003 dad was diagnosed with cancer of the esophagus. They gave him 4 months to live. We wanted to spend his last days doing what he loved, so I quickly booked a trip to Disney World for just us. When we got back, the doctor wanted to do a radical new procedure... remove his esophagus and stretch his stomach to make a new one. He would never be able to eat the way he did before , but it was worth a try. Well, it worked.

One year later, dad got terminal cancer of the bladder. Don't ask how, but he beat it.
The next tumor was a malignant tumor atached to his aorta. The surgery to try to remove it should have killed him.... the tumor is gone and he is still kicking. Next up, lung cancer.... 4 months to live. It was gone in 6 months.

That brings us to today...
Dad has cancer in his lung again and possibly bone cancer in his jaw. With everything else he was able to keep his pain in control which meant he was not depressed or ready to give up.
Tonight he told us this is it. The pain is unbearable and that he can not continue to do this any longer. He did not tell us that he will stop treatments, I think he is waiting to see what the spots on his jaw are.

Dad is 77 years old and had live a long healthy life. He has never really been sick until he was diagnosed with cancer.
Please, please send some prayers his way.As much suffering as he has been through, I am not even sure what I am praying for any more. I hate that I pray for him to get through this and then he gets sick again. Is praying that he be put out of his misery a bad thing? I hate to see him suffer and that is all he is doing now.

Help me find a way yo deal with this with out the guilt of wanting him to be pain free.

DDBird
10-16-2007, 04:57 AM
Your love for your father is obvious. I will keep your family in my prayes at this terrible time.
God's peace be with you and your father.

RedSoxFan
10-16-2007, 07:33 AM
So sorry to hear that the cancer came back. He is in my thoughts and prayers. Cancer is a difficult thing -- I have a family member dealing with it now.

carley
10-16-2007, 07:35 AM
my thoughts and prayers are with you....

when my father had lung cancer and the pain got to be unbearable we too as a family no longer prayed for him to get better...we prayed for his release from pain...as hard as it is to lose a father its horrible to watch the pain they go threw...

hold him close to you...spend every available moment with him...make magical memeries with him. the laughter and smiles you make now will help you threw it

gauvin4
10-16-2007, 08:27 AM
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!! I understand what you are going through. Cherish every moment you have with him.

DizNee143
10-16-2007, 08:34 AM
i am so sorry to hear the cancer is back yet again...you and your family will definetly be in my thoughts and prayers!!!!!!!

buzznwoodysmom
10-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Angel,

So sorry to hear this news. I wish him well and that whatever will be best for him will happen. Whatever happens remember that it all happens for a reason. Like you said he has lived a long life and if he was never sick before age 73 then I am sure he's had a great life. I will keep you, your father and your family in my prayers. I truly wish the best for him.

Piglet822
10-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Angel, I'm sending lots of prayers and :pixie: for you, Dad, and the whole family.
I lost my Dad to a brain tumor so I know what you're going thru - Give me a call whenever you need to talk. :hug:

BriarRose0708
10-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Angel, I am so sorry to hear your dad has fallen ill again. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope that whatever happens, you all will find some peace.

Best,
Nikki

Mickey'sGirl
10-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Angel I hope that your father finds some comfort, and that you stop feeling guilty. I am so sorry to hear this.

NJBelle
10-16-2007, 09:31 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this! I'm praying for you and your Dad at this time. Sending lots of :pixie: and lots of hugs!

My grandpa had cancer on his brain and lungs. So from as veterin of watching a loved one having cancer, I'll be praying.

~Emily:bfly:

Momof2boys
10-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Angel, we dealt with your same scenario over the past 4 years. My father in law was in and out of the hospital every year or so with some life threatening condition. My mother in law would clean his funeral suit and then the following week he'd be home feeling great. He started dialysis 5x per week and then his kidneys started working again so he was down to once or twice a week.

This past February my father in law passed away. We knew the medical issues had been making him weak but my husband's family healed by knowing that he wasn't suffering anymore.

My thoughts are with you, your dad, and your entire family.

poohmom787
10-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Angel:

I am so sorry that you are having to go through such a difficult time. I can sympathize with you, my SIL passed away from cervical cancer. She went into remission three times, before she passed away. It is never easy to watch a family member in pain. Even more difficult is giving your loved one permission to leave. Sometimes that is what they are waiting for; your blessing. I have you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Please don't feel guilty. Just spend the time you have left making wonderful memories that you can hold close in your heart.

Disneyatic
10-16-2007, 05:38 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your family's pain. I will make sure my family includes you all in our prayers.

My grandmother passed away this April after a short and painful battle with cancer. When it got to the point that we knew she wasn't going to get better, I struggled with how and what to pray for. I began praying for mercy and asking God to do what was best for her.
I totally understand the guilt you are feeling but remember that even though you are praying for his suffering to end, it is with the best intentions because you love him and want him to be in a better place physically and mentally.

mrsgaribaldi
10-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Angel I'm so sorry. It's natural that we would want our loved ones to not have to suffer. I'm sending you alot of :pixie::pixie::pixie:and I will keep you all in my prayers. I hope that your Dad's prayers and yours are answered soon. You are a great daughter :hug:

ElenitaB
10-16-2007, 07:01 PM
As always, you are in my thoughts and prayers... extending that circle to include your dad. :hug:

crazypoohbear
10-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Oh, you poor thing, I'm very sorry that you are going through all this. And you should pray for whatever you need to pray for. When my father was sick with cancer I would pray that God would do the right thing for Dad and not let him suffer or be in pain, whether that meant remission or otherwise it was in God's hands.
When my dad was sick my sister Payroll princesss and I drove in to Boston EVERY DAY to visit him. I was pregnant at the time and it was difficult, we both worked full time and would meet after work and drive in together, we knew it would just be the two of us visiting because everyone else had other things to do. It was very hard watching him everyday go through the things he did so that is when I decided to "let go, let God"
I hope you know how much your father loves you and appreciates having you around for him. I will keep you and your father in my prayers.

MsMin
10-17-2007, 12:23 AM
:pixie: Angel keeping you and yours in my thoughts and prayers :angel: My dad is going to be 77 on Saturday and I know what you are going through. :hug: Call me if you want to talk, I still owe you lunch.

mouseaddict
10-17-2007, 09:30 AM
I am so sorry to hear that your father is fighting yet another battle. Have you had any contact with your local hospice organization? They are extremely helpful, and a great shoulder to cry on. They will help your whole family deal with this and put together a plan to make your father's last days so much more comfortable. We will keep you and your father in our thoughts and prayers.

offwego
10-17-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm sory to see this Angel. Prayers are with you and your whole family as you go through this difficult time.

daparish
10-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Keeping you and your dad and family in my prayers.

Here we go again...
10-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Thank you so much for all of the kind works and private messages. This is very hard for all of us.
Dad is still waiting for more test results and we are still not sure what he is going to do about treatment. I think he is tired of fighting and ready to put it in God's hands.
I will keep you posted.

Terra
10-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Your love for your father is obvious. I will keep your family in my prayes at this terrible time.
God's peace be with you and your father.

Beautifully put!
Many prayers to the Lord for your father and for strength for the family.
Do not feel guilty for wanting your father to be free of pain. It's terribly hard to watch your family suffer!

MNNHFLTX
10-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Angel, I am so sorry to hear about your dad. It is okay to feel whatever you are feeling--there is no right or way to react to this kind of situation. Whatever course of action your dad decides to take, please advocate for him as there are lots of options out there now for pain management and a good doctor will explore them all in an effort to provide a good quality of life.

You will all be in my prayers. :pixie:

SgtTigger
10-17-2007, 07:25 PM
Angel so sorry to hear that. if you need anything call.....................

:cop: :tigger:

disneydeb
10-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Prayers for you and your family. God bless you and take care. if you need anything we can help with just hit the boards and ask.:grouphug:

Auntie
10-20-2007, 11:07 PM
My thoughts and prayers for you and your dad.

Beast_fanatic
10-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Angel, many :hug: and :pixie: going out to both you and your Dad.

Please don't feel guilty. Just continue loving your Dad and hoping for the best outcome, whatever that may be.

Here we go again...
10-21-2007, 12:14 AM
You guys are the greatest.
Dad went to see a new neurologist Friday and had some more tests run. Hopefully we will get some results soon.

magicofdisney
10-21-2007, 04:34 AM
Angel,

I've prayed for your family. I agree there's no wrong way to feel right now. You don't want to see your dad suffer and you don't want to loose him. Desires can be conflicting. I hope you get helpful answers from this most recent Dr. visit. In Jesus, take care.

merlinmagic4
10-21-2007, 06:43 AM
:pixie: for you and your dad. Sorry to hear the news. This must be terribly hard for you.