PDA

View Full Version : Any attorneys out there?

Cinderelley
10-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Here's the situation -
My ex and I divorced here in Arizona 12 years ago. Our child support was set then, and I have never gone back and changed it, even though I could get more from him since my kids are past the age of 13 (where it could be raised). It's about $300 a month for 3 kids.

He moved out of state to Kansas. For years and years he didn't pay a dime, but the system finally caught up with him about 4 years ago and threatened to take his license if he didn't pay. (He's a truck driver.) So, he has had to pay the last couple of years, but he still owes me quite a bit of back child support

Last week I got a call from him (he never calls me), and he tells me that he is filing for bankruptcy and he wants me to "forgive" his $32,000 in back child support. (I think it's actually more than that.) He proceeds to tell me this sob story about how he's going to lose his house and can't make enough money, blah, blah, blah. I've heard this story too many years to care. My response was that his wife should get a job to help pay the bills. He then tells me that his wife is "legally" blind now, her oldest daughter is in some mental institution, and her youngest daughter (around 10 years old) still lives at home, so his wife has to stay home to take care of her. (They don't have any children together.) To make a long story, with many words that I can't type on here, short - I told him no.

Now I have received a notice in the mail about his bankruptcy. On this paper, it says "The names of DSO claimants, together with the approximate amount owed pre and post petition are as follows: 'my name' $32,000 owed in back child support"
It also says something about showing up there on 10/31/07 with ID.

1. DH says that child support isn't a "debt" so it can't be written off in bankruptcy.
2. I called my mom, who was a legal secretary before she retired, and she said that bankruptcy is a federal issue, so those laws supercede any state laws about our divorce.
3. She's on her honeymoon, but when she gets back, she'll call and make an appointment with a bankruptcy attorney that she knows is pretty good.
4. I'm a nervous wreck until she gets back, and I see that attorney. It would be very difficult for me to drop everything and fly back to Kansas on Oct. 31. Plus, he's been a slacker father from the get-go. I really don't want him wiggling his way out of this responsibility to his kids too. Any words of advice you guys can give me to reassure me would be much appreciated.

To top it all off, my DS17 comes to me yesterday and says he needs to take some money out of his bank account where he has been saving money for a car. (He has to ask me because the account is in my name.) I ask him what it's for, and his reply is that his father has asked him for $200 to make his house payment. My ex has used everybody in his family until they will not give him any money anymore. Now he's trying to take it from his kids, while he's also trying to get out of his child support obligation. ( :mad: I can't believe I was ever married to this man!) My DS17 is now mad at me for not letting him give his father his money! It's going to be a long week.

gerald72
10-14-2007, 07:48 PM
I am not an attorney, but I have given money to some.
Bankruptcy will not get him out of back child support.

missbunny
10-14-2007, 07:49 PM
I found this info online, I hope it helps. Hang in there. As for your son helping out his dad, that is a tough one. I wouldn't let him send money but if it hurts the relationship between you and your son, I might just let him only to keep the peace.

What happens to unpaid child support and alimony in the new bankruptcy law?

BAPCPA elevates domestic support obligations to top priority in an “asset” case under Chapter 7, where there are funds available to pay creditors. Domestic support obligations are not dischargeable. The law no longer distinguishes between debts for alimony or support (which were also not dischargeable under prior law) and debts arising from property settlements (which were sometimes dischargeable under prior law): both kinds of debt are not dischargeable.
It remains true that a Chapter 13 plan must provide for full payment of priority debts, including arrearages in domestic support obligations. Furthermore, to obtain a discharge in a Chapter 13 case, the debtor will have to certify that all post-petition domestic support obligations have been met.
Finally, case trustees in both Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 cases are now obligated to make certain disclosures to a domestic support creditor, such as an ex- or separated spouse, including the debtor’s most recent known address at the time of discharge.

Good luck in this and I hope it all works out. If you need a shoulder to lean on or just someone to vent to, send me a message and I will be there for you. I have family members who also have back support owed to them so i understand what you must be going there.

Scar
10-14-2007, 07:52 PM
3. She's on her honeymoon, but when she gets back, she'll call and make an appointment with a bankruptcy attorney that she knows is pretty good.
4. I'm a nervous wreck until she gets back, and I see that attorney.Why do you have to wait until she gets back? :confused:

J9
10-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Call the court and see if you could appear by phone so that you don't actually need to fly out of state.

brownie
10-15-2007, 11:13 AM
I think that even with bankruptcy, it's pretty hard to avoid paying child support, which is probably why he asked you to forgive it.

Cinderelley
10-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Why do you have to wait until she gets back? :confused:

She'll be able to find out who is a good lawyer and who isn't.

Scar
10-15-2007, 03:01 PM
She'll be able to find out who is a good lawyer and who isn't.Ah... Got it. I read it as she already knew one in particular.

Also, I don't really think you should do this but...

Tell your son to give you the $200 and then say "Now your father only owes me $31,800." ;)

Seriously though, your son is 17, he's a man. Have you sat with him and explained the situation logically without bad mouthing his father?

Jasper
10-15-2007, 03:42 PM
I don't know anything about the bankruptcy laws in your state or any place else for that matter.

However as to the matter of your son giving the money to your ex, while I agree with the other poster(s) about explaining what a user your ex is without bad mouthing him I doubt if it will do much good. However you should try anyway. Then if your son still wants to do it I would simply put my foot down. I realize this will cause ill will with your son right now, but I have to believe that eventually your son will learn what his father is like and will be happy you wouldn’t let him do it. I say that with the assumption that the laws in your state allow you to have this level of control over your 17 year old son. I know that here in Indiana as long as the parent is listed on the account with a child under 18 then the parent has complete control over withdrawals from such an account. (My wife has a brother that sounds like your ex and he pulled the same thing several years ago with his ex and son.)

No matter what happens the short term is not going to be very pleasant for any of you so I wish you the best!!

MickeyandTink
10-15-2007, 06:48 PM
I am a lawyer in Texas. However, I'm not licensed in Arizona or Kansas, so don't rely on my comments for your sole legal advice.

Back child support is NOT dischargeable by bankruptcy. Nor does his responsibility to pay disappear until all back support is paid and all children for whom he has been ordered to pay support are either over the age of 18, or graduated high school.

While you can agree to forgive him for back, unpaid support, you are under no obligation to do so (unless you have received State assistance such as food stamps. In that case, the State can go after him).

If you have received or are currently receiving State assistance due to his failure to pay child support, you may be able to get the attorney general in Kansas to act on your behalf. If not, or if you wish to hire your own attorney, I would contact the local or state bar association for a referral. They can get you in touch with someone who specializes in bankruptcy law and they usually charge nothing or a very small fee for their services. Another option is the local legal aid office.

Good luck.

Cinderelley
10-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks for all the input from everyone. It has really helped to calm my nerves. My mother gets back into town this week, so I'll let you all know what happens.