PDA

View Full Version : strollers?

butterfly18237
10-14-2007, 10:38 AM
I am trying to decide what to do about a strollers in the parks. My DS is 4 and loves to walk, but like every kid gets tired and needs a little rest. WE dont want to go back to pop century every day. So my question is, should I bring my own and haul it on the plane and stuff or should i rent one? or another option is to go and get a cheap on at a store once I get there. If anyone else has a suggestion I would be happy to hear it. :mickey:

tiaramom
10-14-2007, 11:44 AM
My Daughter Is Almost 3 And In Extemly Tall- Though Petite
A Stroller Is The Way To Go
Maclaren's Are Unbrella Strollers And Are Comfortable And Fold Up Easily- And Quick.

I Hated Hauling The Reg. Strollers- Too Bulky For The Buses-

Easy- If Child Falls Asleep - And Can Stroll Her Around At Resort Down Town Disney , Parks Etc....

Get An Unbrella!
And Have A Blast
Its The Best Way To Go
I Could Do Without My Own Stroller

tiaramom
10-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Oops
I Meant I Couldnt Do Without My Own Stroller

Stormer
10-14-2007, 01:57 PM
I bought a Maclaren for our last trip. My boys are 3 1/2 and 5. They both love to walk, but it was the best investment. They took turns in it when they were tired. If we stayed at the parks late at night it was comfortable for my little guy to fall asleep in. It folds up really small so it was easy to take on the plane and the trams in the various parking lots.

vamaggie
10-14-2007, 04:06 PM
If you have a small, lightweight one at home that your dtr is used to riding in, I would bring it. Our DD is 4.5 and we are planning on bringing our umbrella stroller. DD likes to walk but I know that there is no way she is used to the amt of walking at WDW (neither is DH I fear!!!) If you don't have a small lite one at home you may want to consider renting one. My understanding is that you need to fold the strollers up for the buses back to Pop so if she is sleeping in it at night you would have to wake her anyway. Bringing or renting either way I think a stroller is a good idea for a 4 yr old.

teambricker04
10-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Agreed. Take a light weight stroller. Something that reclines somewhat. The rentals are alright, but not comfy to sleep in.

kakn7294
10-14-2007, 04:58 PM
At 4 yo, if he's not big into napping and only needs the stroller for riding to rest tired little legs, I suggest a cheap umbrella stroller. He doesn't necessarily need a reclining stroller if he's not going to sleep. My DD liked to sleep in the umbrella stroller - she just propped herself against the side and snoozed away!

butterfly18237
10-14-2007, 05:03 PM
is there cheap umbrella strollers I could get in florida, around disney world?
I'm trying to figure out between buying one there or renting one in the parks.

pixiesmimi
10-14-2007, 07:24 PM
There are Wal-Marts and Walgreens around WDW but you can also buy one at WDW at the rental place. We have found over the years that it is easier to just rent one and not have to worry about your own or the transportation. We have done both and there are pros and cons about both but have never gone without one, one way or the other. The bigger ones are a pain sometimes but if you have a small child, is worth it but for older children, an umbrella or a rented one are fine. They won't be in it much anyway but are good for storing your bags and things.

CleveRocks
10-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Our kids loved the rental strollers ... we went when they were 5 and 2.5, and again last year when they were 6.5 and 4.

We were happy to NOT have the stroller available to them at the resort and DTD (so they couldn't choose to be "lazy" all of the time), but we were thankful to have a stroller for the literally miles of walking each day within the theme parks.

peemagg
10-14-2007, 08:27 PM
At the parks and at DTD, there are some Kolcraft strollers for sale for about $40. They are a little step up from an umbrella stroller, but have some nice features, like recline. If you decide not to take your own, then that could be an option if you find that you need it.

tinksmom02
10-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Our kids loved the rental strollers ... we went when they were 5 and 2.5, and again last year when they were 6.5 and 4.

We were happy to NOT have the stroller available to them at the resort and DTD (so they couldn't choose to be "lazy" all of the time), but we were thankful to have a stroller for the literally miles of walking each day within the theme parks.

These are my feelings exactly. We took our stroller on our January trip, and not only was Jenna (4 1/2 at the time) just about busting out of it, she was extraordinarily lazy...like, she was too tired to walk from our room to our car. (I suspect that having Grandma and Grandpa along with us increased her laziness a little, though!)

She is no longer in a stroller at all, but we decided to rent while there in Sept. She seemed pretty comfy in it, although she didn't nap in it (I think those days are long gone :() But she still got plenty of walking in!

#1donaldfan
10-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Why not just rent one. The aggravation you save in lugging yours down, or running around trying to find one might be worth while. Your on vacation, why go shopping for a stroller you don't really need (once you get home). The rental strollers are at all the parks, so why not go that route? I don't remember the exact cost, but it's minimal at best....have a great vacation...

wedway76
10-14-2007, 08:49 PM
We only went to WDW once when my son was stroller age and we stayed offsite so we rented a stroller at the parks. We always stay onsire now, and from watching other families, on busses etc. I have to agree with the other posters. Either bring a small lightweight stroller that is easy to fold carry and push or rent them at the parks. Bigger strollers on the bus seem like they can be a nightmare.

mjaclyn
10-15-2007, 10:15 AM
DH and I actually had this same conversation before we went to WDW last month. We would have ended up paying about $80 to rent a Disney stroller for the entire trip so we just decided to buy a lightweight stroller that we could keep for trips. We decided on the Peg Perego Aria stroller - it only weighs 9 lbs and folds up very small. It was GREAT for the buses. I looked at the Maclaren strollers as well but didn't go with one of them because (if I remember correctly) they were more expensive and didn't recline at all. Plus the basket was smaller.

MickeyandTink
10-15-2007, 11:11 AM
We thought about renting one, but decided to just bring a cheapo umbrellas stroller from home. It saved us about $40, and having the stroller was useful for DD6 :princess: when we were at Epcot, MK and AK. Didn't bring it or really need it for MGM. When DD wasn't using it , it was handy to push around our backpack and camera bag.

Taja
10-15-2007, 06:09 PM
I would suggest using your own--whether you bring it from home or purchase an inexpensive one in Orlando. Particularly if you plan late nights.

While your DS is likely to walk a good portion of the day, those little legs are going to be very tired on their way out of the park (if not before). Carrying a child to the buses or other transportation (trans, ferry, monrail, etc.) is very tiring--particularly when the adult legs are every bit as tired at the end of the day!

pooh's pal eeyore
10-18-2007, 01:56 PM
If you already have an umbrella stroller, take it. Last Dec we took ours but the foot strap broke while we were there. I was going to Walmart to develpoe pictures, and you would think of all places Walmart would have them but they didn't. We made do for the last of the trip. So don't expect to buy one there. And renting is very expensive. It was like $16 a day for a double. If you are staying a week, thats over $100.

pixiesmimi
10-19-2007, 09:50 AM
On the rentals, you get a discount the more days you rent and you can use your rental tickets at each park and don't have to pay at each park. Just tell them how many days you need it to begin with and they give you a book of tickets that are stamped or torn off each time you pick one up. We had (twice) someone hand us their tickets and stroller as we were coming in because they were either leaving or didn't need the stroller the rest of their stay, so we got it free. That was so nice of them! And one was a double.

laward32
10-19-2007, 10:17 AM
We are bringing two umbrella strollers, but I think my girls are going to walk this year. I think with all the standing in line and then sitting to have snacks or lunch they will get plenty of rest. We bought one of our strollers at WDW (the Kolcraft the previous poster talked about) It is very nice. My girls are 6&7 but tiny for their age, but I think we will be okay. If we get in a huge bind and don't want to go back to the resort for the strollers we will just rent one at the park.:mickey:
6 days and counting!!!

1EeyoreFan
10-19-2007, 10:34 AM
We purchased one of the Kolcraft strollers at our resorts gift shop. The one we brought broke while we were there. They were kind enough to dispose of our old broken one! This was a great find! At $40 it was cheaper than renting and we use it to this day! Perfect for our 2 1/2 yr. old. It reclines, has a drink holder, small shade and a mesh bag on the back. My DH liked the fact that it was taller than most umbrella like strollers and he didn't have to hunch over to push it.

MNNHFLTX
10-19-2007, 11:42 AM
I just wanted to confirm that I saw Kolcraft strollers for sale in the Port Orleans Riverside gift shop during a stay last week, and I assume they would be available at the other resort gift shops. They appeared to be good quality umbrella strollers, if you choose to go that route.

pook@wdw
10-19-2007, 06:08 PM
If your flying, I would purchase a cheap portable one when you arrive. The last time we stayed @ CBR, a couple saw us @ the pool w/our youngins and came over to us and "donated" their stroller to us, as they were flying out the next AM. And to pay it forward, we did the same thing w/the same stroller when before we flew out 2 days later. I would like to hope that the little stroller served many a happy family on their Magical Journey!:D

Buttercup
10-19-2007, 06:20 PM
I would just rent one.
But a word of advice: bring along a bright colored bandana or ribbon to tie onto the handlebars of the stroller every day. It makes finding your stroller in a sea of other Disney strollers MUCH easier!