PDA

View Full Version : DVC Contemporary Resort

BW Fan
10-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Does anyone have any information as to the building of a DVC resrot at the Contemporary Resort? I saw pictures where they were tearing down the garden wings for new constructions and assumed it to be for DVC villas. I haven't seen any posts on this, so any information will be helpful.:mickey:

WDWfanatic742
10-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Nothing has been released officially about the new tower that is supposed to have DVC units.

MartyS
10-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Pics of the construction site of the "not a DVC resort" are can be found at the WDW park update for Oct 9 on [another site]. As much $$$ as that old wing of CR made, you KNOW that it wouldn't just be an empty space for long. Looks like the new construction is moving right along.

DisneyGiant
10-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Pics of the construction site of the "not a DVC resort" are can be found at the WDW park update for Oct 9 on [another site]. As much $$$ as that old wing of CR made, you KNOW that it wouldn't just be an empty space for long. Looks like the new construction is moving right along.

Thanks for that web reference. That Hawaii resort looks awesome! And the "not-a-DVC"
photos were interesting as well.

C'mon - its got to be a new DVC location!!!! Can you imagine how fast those points would sell?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-14-2007, 02:40 AM
If I might add, I don't think it's likely it would be DVC. I mean, Disney has officially announced two other locations that haven't begun development or construction yet. But the CR which already is having the foundation and structuring being built, hasn't? That's extremely odd, isn't it?

Also, if Disney really was wanting to sell more points, why waste the time and money to market locations such as California and Hawai'i first instead of CR? It would be unreasonable from a marketing perspective to do that.

Personally, I think Disney realized that a building that is over 30 years old needs to be updated. So they can't work on the main building ever because the monorail runs through it, so they can really only work the two smaller ones.

But, I could be wrong. What do I know?

Horizon93
10-14-2007, 09:18 AM
If I might add, I don't think it's likely it would be DVC. I mean, Disney has officially announced two other locations that haven't begun development or construction yet. But the CR which already is having the foundation and structuring being built, hasn't? That's extremely odd, isn't it?

Also, if Disney really was wanting to sell more points, why waste the time and money to market locations such as California and Hawai'i first instead of CR? It would be unreasonable from a marketing perspective to do that.

Personally, I think Disney realized that a building that is over 30 years old needs to be updated. So they can't work on the main building ever because the monorail runs through it, so they can really only work the two smaller ones.

But, I could be wrong. What do I know?

They actually have worked on the main building. All of the rooms have been renovated and there are many changes happening in the Grand Concourse.

I believe that there is every chance that the new building will be a "mixed use resort" like the new Grand Californian Villas and the Hawaii project will be. Meaning that the resort will have regular resort rooms and DVC vacation villas.
DVC has neither confirmaed nor denied that DVC at the CR is happening. With SSR close to selling out and AKV selling well, this could be true. They likely won't announce anything until SSR is completely sold and Kidani construction is well underway. Let's keep in mind that Disney has made no announcement of any kind regarding the construction on the former site of the north wing.

With the tremendous growth inDVC membership, they will need to offer more properties at WDW over time. A DVC resort on the monorail would be a huge seller.

We will have to wait and see.

DVC Mike
10-14-2007, 11:54 AM
I believe that there is every chance that the new building will be a "mixed use resort" like the new Grand Californian Villas and the Hawaii project will be. Meaning that the resort will have regular resort rooms and DVC vacation villas.
DVC has neither confirmaed nor denied that DVC at the CR is happening. With SSR close to selling out and AKV selling well, this could be true. They likely won't announce anything until SSR is completely sold and Kidani construction is well underway. Let's keep in mind that Disney has made no announcement of any kind regarding the construction on the former site of the north wing.

I agree with Horizon93. Why would Disney not make any announcement regarding the construction at the CR? The best answer I've heard is they don't want to slow down current DVC sales at SSR and AKV.

lockedoutlogic
10-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Since everyone is so messmerized by that silly castle and train....why on earth would they announce anything there?

They would not sell any units at AKV...and they sure as heck wouldn't sell what's left at Saratoga (my "home"...which i'm not likely to go home to)....

Selling 3 at WDW at one time would be completely silly....one location would quickly become the leftovers....

think about it...

Horizon93
10-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Exactly. That is my point as well. They will likely wait until SSR is sold out. I would imagine that the cost per point will be higher than AKV as well. The point values per night will also be likely higher than existing resorts.

I will take my AKV any day over CRV. If I were to add on a second resort, it would likely be BWV as DW and i spend far more time in Epcot than at MK.

DVC Mike
10-14-2007, 06:30 PM
I think CRV will be a big seller for two reasons:

Location! You can walk to the MK or take the monorail to MK or Epcot.
Views! Imagine the MK view rooms.I'm ready to buy...

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-14-2007, 07:15 PM
They actually have worked on the main building. All of the rooms have been renovated and there are many changes happening in the Grand Concourse.

Oh I know they renovated them, but it's not like they can restructure the entire building.

To me, it just seems like.....it's not adding up.

Even if they did announce a CR DVC unit, it would most likely sell out. And then with being able to point out that a monorail resort will be used for DVC could probably finish off AKV and SSR.

I never said I was right or wrong (or anyone else), it's just not adding up to me.

lockedoutlogic
10-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Exactly. That is my point as well. They will likely wait until SSR is sold out. I would imagine that the cost per point will be higher than AKV as well. The point values per night will also be likely higher than existing resorts.

I will take my AKV any day over CRV. If I were to add on a second resort, it would likely be BWV as DW and i spend far more time in Epcot than at MK.

Whole heartedly agree...

My guess is that by the time they sell any DVC at Contemp...the price per point will be upwards of 120 per...they will attempt to sell at least 75% of AKV (which is a heck of an amount of contracts) before they breath anything of a Contemp location....

I also think that the point cost per night will be much higher than any other current location. Why shouldn't it? People will jump at every available room no matter what time of year they're going....I'm guessing that the studio would be somewhere between 16-18 per night (Sun-Thurs) in Value season....just a guess

They may also do what they have stated they're doing at Grand Californian: all 2 bedroom DVC units.....
...they could certainly get away with it on the monorail line...and those buying Contemp would end up purchasing 400 points+ a year just to pay for their normal WDW travel...where as 160 would get you alot at OKW, SSR, or even AKV...

They also just might be planning on building new North/South wings as part of the existing resort....it's possible...the contemp is still usually cram packed and could definitely sell more rooms....

The only thing I can say is this:

Went by on the monorail about 3 weeks ago...and there is no doubt that the design is the crescent moon shape pointed toward Bay Lake as was leaked on an architect's website a year or two ago....there is no question.

And the demo and ground work permit app filed with Reedy Creek last Spring has "contemporary timeshare" all throughout....

But we don't know what that exactly means....and the footings that they have in place now don't look like a massive foundation....but I didn't see them doing the pilings so I can't say for sure....

It's possible that we may be getting basically a replacement of the old north wing....not a 15 story timeshare Mecca....

I guess we'll see....

Oh...and I agree that I don't really want to go anywhere near it either...

AKV, Beach Club Villas, and VWL are much more attractive to me for a variety of reasons....

I can only hope that this new monstrosity will pull alot of traffic away from the "old" locations I just mentioned and they fall by the wayside....

And by that...I mean "fall onto my confirmation letter":thumbsup:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Okay so let's say that they *are* making a DVC....

With how quickly it's being pulled together, it will probably be completed sometime within....what? Maybe 2 years or less?

If AKV sells anything like SSR, then the CR DVC resort will be completed before they sell most of the AKV contracts. So if they are wanting to wait to announce it until they sell the majority of AKV, then they will have a completed resort sitting there, not being used and losing money.

Unless they realize that as well, and decide to announce it anyways, regardless of how much SSR and AKV have sold. But then, that would bring back other points that others mentioned about having 3 DVC resorts selling at the same time. Which, given how long it took between planning and opening for SSR and AKV, this is most likely going to be the case if they did do a CR DVC.

And yes, I've seen the 72-page permit letter as well. And yes, they can keep a lot of the same ideas and concepts for construction. However, the key word in the entire thing was "Proposed DVC Resort." So it can still go either way. Not that it matters since we'll probably never stay there cause we like Wilderness, Beach and Boardwalk the best.

sillyolbear
10-15-2007, 08:54 AM
I could have dreamed this, but could another reason there has been no CR announcement be Florida real estate regulations?

Fact or not, I remember being told that companies offering timeshare property could only have a certain number of potential shares being actively marketed at any given time. If that is the case, they may have to wait to sell a certain percentage of AKL units before they can offer another resort.

Again, could be all bunk but what I was told once. I'm sure someone will be along who knows for sure.

lockedoutlogic
10-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Okay so let's say that they *are* making a DVC....

With how quickly it's being pulled together, it will probably be completed sometime within....what? Maybe 2 years or less?

If AKV sells anything like SSR, then the CR DVC resort will be completed before they sell most of the AKV contracts. So if they are wanting to wait to announce it until they sell the majority of AKV, then they will have a completed resort sitting there, not being used and losing money.

Unless they realize that as well, and decide to announce it anyways, regardless of how much SSR and AKV have sold. But then, that would bring back other points that others mentioned about having 3 DVC resorts selling at the same time. Which, given how long it took between planning and opening for SSR and AKV, this is most likely going to be the case if they did do a CR DVC.

And yes, I've seen the 72-page permit letter as well. And yes, they can keep a lot of the same ideas and concepts for construction. However, the key word in the entire thing was "Proposed DVC Resort." So it can still go either way. Not that it matters since we'll probably never stay there cause we like Wilderness, Beach and Boardwalk the best.

I think I agree with everything you said...except the how long would it take question...

2 years? Disney couldn't build an outhouse in 2 years...it takes 3-4 for a modest ride to be built...

Look at Saratoga....they've been building there for 4 years...and that one wasn't even done from scratch....all the groundwork and utility issues were constructed long before a single DVC unit went up....It took them about 3 to build Wilderness and Beach Club Villas....and those are very small units.....

Disney is many things...but they are not ignorant with marketing and sales....
To sell a monorail/ magic kingdom view DVC with others on the table already would completely undermine the existing for sale locations....

And let me be clear on this: Animal Kindgom lodge has and always will be a difficult sale...

It's awesome...and shouldn't be difficult to move....but people are pretty stupid when it comes to this place...americans at least...

Horizon93
10-15-2007, 08:18 PM
I think I agree with everything you said...except the how long would it take question...

2 years? Disney couldn't build an outhouse in 2 years...it takes 3-4 for a modest ride to be built...

Look at Saratoga....they've been building there for 4 years...and that one wasn't even done from scratch....all the groundwork and utility issues were constructed long before a single DVC unit went up....It took them about 3 to build Wilderness and Beach Club Villas....and those are very small units.....

Disney is many things...but they are not ignorant with marketing and sales....
To sell a monorail/ magic kingdom view DVC with others on the table already would completely undermine the existing for sale locations....

And let me be clear on this: Animal Kindgom lodge has and always will be a difficult sale...

It's awesome...and shouldn't be difficult to move....but people are pretty stupid when it comes to this place...americans at least...

I agree that it is further out than 2 years. I don't know how AKV is presently selling (it is my home resort), but I can see a big marketing push coming for AKV. The theming is incredible, the rooms are stunning to see and it will be appealing to many. Transportation reports are all good to all parks. And there is something to be said for getting away from it all after a long day in the parks.

Once SSR is sold and AKV is well on its way, DVC will want another WDW resort to sell. They can set the CRV per point cost higher than AKV, set the dues a little higher as well. That would make sense if the concern is that CTV would slow AKV sales. Believe it or not, some will still prefer AKV. The key is not to announce anything until the time is right. If it is not going to have DVC villas, it would be in DVC's best interest to announce that as there are people waiting to buy in so that they can buy the rumored CRV. Shut down that rumor forever and sales of SSR, AKV and the 2057 OKW would increase.

They have made no such announcement, Hmmmmm.

J.T.Toad
10-22-2007, 08:27 AM
Last week I had I great conversation with a Monorail Pilot and this is what he told me.

Management has instructed me not to discuss the construction of the new tower with the public. If asked I am only to say that Disney is adding additional rooms to the Contemporary Resort.

This is what I am thinking. If Disney were only adding additional guest rooms to the CR then why haven't they announced it? What harm could it cause?

It’s only a matter of time before the rooms are added and the construction photos are leaked, then we will all know for sure.

JT

Horizon93
10-22-2007, 08:41 AM
I agree. If all that is was was the adding of additional rooms to the CR, there would be no need for management to instruct anyone not to say anything. I still predict mixed use.

Ian
10-22-2007, 09:36 AM
I could have dreamed this, but could another reason there has been no CR announcement be Florida real estate regulations?I think you're right on the money. Our DVC rep told us as much when we were buying. There's certain rules governing how far in advance you can put out notice for new timeshares and how early you can sell them.

It can't be any more than like 18 months before they're ready for occupancy or something like that.

It's awesome...and shouldn't be difficult to move....but people are pretty stupid when it comes to this place...americans at least...This is sort of an odd comment to make? I mean your opinion is that it's awesome and (apparently) if other people don't agree with you then we're just "stupid Americans"?

That seems like a relatively narrow-minded viewpoint, if you ask me. I'll tell you ... I stayed there and I had many legitimate issues with the place. I don't like where it's located on the property, I didn't at all care for the resort layout, and I thought the rooms felt too small for a deluxe resort.

Not sure what, if anything, that has to do with me being American?? :confused:

And as far as it's being "beautiful", isn't that just a matter of taste? I mean some people may find it too rustic for their tastes, right?

lockedoutlogic
10-22-2007, 11:37 PM
I think you're right on the money. Our DVC rep told us as much when we were buying. There's certain rules governing how far in advance you can put out notice for new timeshares and how early you can sell them.

It can't be any more than like 18 months before they're ready for occupancy or something like that.

This is sort of an odd comment to make? I mean your opinion is that it's awesome and (apparently) if other people don't agree with you then we're just "stupid Americans"?

That seems like a relatively narrow-minded viewpoint, if you ask me. I'll tell you ... I stayed there and I had many legitimate issues with the place. I don't like where it's located on the property, I didn't at all care for the resort layout, and I thought the rooms felt too small for a deluxe resort.

Not sure what, if anything, that has to do with me being American?? :confused:

And as far as it's being "beautiful", isn't that just a matter of taste? I mean some people may find it too rustic for their tastes, right?

If you're deducing that I am...
A. Not an American
B. Anti-American

Then you are lost on the other side of town...

I'm very american...but of the kind that doesn't think we've reached the pinnacle of life on earth just yet and could use a good deal of improvement both as individuals and a society...
So i'm measured, inquisitive, and skeptical...as all americans should be (that is in my opinion...of course)

My point is that AKL has always been tough for disney to sell...that is not an opinion (learned from the trenches)

Many things can be considered causes of this...the area (though every area is distant from some guest area) and the dislike of animals are probably the two most cited reasons...and two most valid.

But something else doesn't add up...animal kingdom is much better than wilderness lodge or the poly as far as what they offer to the guest...
...but you have to beat people away from those places...

Something else doesn't add up...and never has with AKL...

My contention is that it has to do with preconceptions and the generally polarized nature of WDW patrons....that is an opinion.

take it with a grain of salt...

And contemporary villas...if in fact they are...is well over two years away....they are going to have to complete the facilities upgrades in the original tower before any new rooms would go online....so the world shouldn't expect anything until 2010 at the earliest....if they really are building a 13 story tower...that is gonna take alot of time....plus the repairs to the grounds and an addition of at least one decent sized pool area....

we'll see...

J.T.Toad
10-23-2007, 08:50 AM
I'm very american...but of the kind that doesn't think we've reached the pinnacle of life on earth just yet and could use a good deal of improvement both as individuals and a society...
So i'm measured, inquisitive, and skeptical...as all americans should be (that is in my opinion...of course)

I may be wrong but the last time I looked this thread was supposed to be about the DVC at the Contemporary Resort.

JT

Ian
10-23-2007, 11:05 AM
...animal kingdom is much better than wilderness lodge or the poly as far as what they offer to the guest...
...but you have to beat people away from those places...But again ... that's just your opinion.

One I totally disagree with, by the way. I'd stay at WL or Poly any day over Animal Kingdom Lodge.

It's just a matter of different tastes and what matters to you as an individual. I think it's just that Disney mis-judged the appeal of that resort to the masses.

I still fail to see how the whole "American" aspect entered into the equation.

lockedoutlogic
10-23-2007, 04:20 PM
But again ... that's just your opinion.

One I totally disagree with, by the way. I'd stay at WL or Poly any day over Animal Kingdom Lodge.

It's just a matter of different tastes and what matters to you as an individual. I think it's just that Disney mis-judged the appeal of that resort to the masses.

I still fail to see how the whole "American" aspect entered into the equation.

Of couse it's an opinion...that was the point.

But the history of AKL and AK for that matter being an extremely difficult sell is not....

The park is probably due to cutting corners (presslering it...as i say)...the lodge is the one that is puzzling...there's no reason why it shouldn't have more demand than the least of the deluxes...and it is firmly entrenched in that spot....

I just think it is an example of the types of travelers who frequent WDW....and I am one of them...so I'm not meaning to insult...

But WDW isn't for everyone...nor has it ever been...and alot of the reasons for that is largely due to economics and subsequently personal values....

Take it for what it's worth...just something I have noticed as a child, teen, and adult...a traveler, and worker, a traveler again....now soon to be a family person who actually got married in EPCOT and purchased DVC basically because it didn't make sense to not purchase it based on our frequency of travel.

So back to the questions about why I brought the americans into the discussion...I have to apologize and clarify...

It's not all americans...it's really the types that frequent WDW that I point to as to the struggles of AKL.....

It is a theory...but one that has been observed for awhile now (many people probably think much less than in the day to day lives when they are on vacation at WDW...I'm completely the opposite...being facinated by demographics, trends, and especially the techincal and marketing characteristics of each new addtion)

Full circle...the reason why I mentioned the hard sell of AKV in this thread is that i think they will be very deliberate in making AKV the prime sales location exclusively for a long period of time. the appeal of that location almost necessitates it....

Contemporary would completely torpedo that...though, in my opinion, it shouldn't...

AKV will be a harder sale...contemporary will not....and based on the probable point per night charges with the two.....that is completely ackwards from what it should be....

Just a hunch...seen through the looking glass.

So I don't think they'll be dishing out contemp contracts anytime soon...they've got a ton of units to sell "all the way out" under that "ugly thatched hut" (frequent comments at AKL since day one)...and a new concrete slab next to MK isn't going to make that any easier....unless they play one location off against the other with incentives...which is a strong possibility.

btuskan
10-27-2007, 10:00 AM
I have a couple of comments. First, I see the same comments being made about AKLV that were made about SSR when it first started to sell. I seem to remember a time in the history of SSR when people said, "It's not selling well" or "it's so big who would want to buy there?" or "It's too far away from the parks,"etc. It must have sold well or they wouldn't be building the last "optional" phase. And I believe that AKLV will sell. Second, when I bought at SSR, there were still points available at VWL and BWV. We loved those resorts, but wanted the 50 years offered by SSR. My final point being, that just because DVD may announce a DVC resort at CR, doesn't mean that people will stop buying at AKLV. I agree that the points at a CRV will likely be more expensive and some people may not opt for more expense, so will buy at AKLV. Now for my question, I thought the proposed tower was for 7 floors. The drawings and pictures and those imfamouse (:mickey:) blue prints that showed up on line for a few hours a year or two back didn't show anything that would rival the current tower in height.??? (not exactly a question).

lockedoutlogic
10-27-2007, 10:34 AM
I have a couple of comments. First, I see the same comments being made about AKLV that were made about SSR when it first started to sell. I seem to remember a time in the history of SSR when people said, "It's not selling well" or "it's so big who would want to buy there?" or "It's too far away from the parks,"etc. It must have sold well or they wouldn't be building the last "optional" phase. And I believe that AKLV will sell. Second, when I bought at SSR, there were still points available at VWL and BWV. We loved those resorts, but wanted the 50 years offered by SSR. My final point being, that just because DVD may announce a DVC resort at CR, doesn't mean that people will stop buying at AKLV. I agree that the points at a CRV will likely be more expensive and some people may not opt for more expense, so will buy at AKLV. Now for my question, I thought the proposed tower was for 7 floors. The drawings and pictures and those imfamouse (:mickey:) blue prints that showed up on line for a few hours a year or two back didn't show anything that would rival the current tower in height.??? (not exactly a question).

I'm mostly on the same page with you...except i strongly disagree that a contemp location would not negatively impact AKL sales....
It's simply a different game when you're talking about a spot on the monorail....and AKL is probably the least in demand resort location of the deluxe category...

The combination of the two factors could be a mess for AKV sales....

I think they will wait...unless sales of AKV go very quickly.

Horizon93
10-27-2007, 11:50 AM
I believe that they will wait. They will wait until SSR is sold out and the time when they can legally sell ownership interests in CRV. By that time, AKV sales will be even further along. AKV will always appeal many people. That is our home resort, and we can't wait. We are also looking forward to Kidani. It will be a wonderful resort and a destination in itself when completed.

CRV will likely slow sales at AKV, that is true. But by the time they announce, if reports from AKV guests continue to be primarily positive, ALV will continue to sell.

It would be interesting to hear what history shows happens when a new DVC resort is announced while another is still selling. Did AKV sales hurt SSR. dID ssr hurt V WL, BCV, or BWV? What happend to OKW sales after the next resort was announced? It would be interesting to see.

But the truth is everyone should buy where they want to stay and where they want that 11 month window!

WheresWalt
10-31-2007, 02:11 PM
As for AKV being a hard sell...

Why it would ever be a hard sell is beyond me. Talk about unique among vacation properties. How many others anywhere can boast zebra and giraffe views out your balcony while you sip your morning coffee?

We bought into AKV and would have bought into NO OTHER DVC property, period. Don't like any of the others well enough to make them a yearly vacation but AKV... no doubt. I could go there every couple months and never feel bored. It is a world unto itself and a nice respite from the hussle and bussle of WDW. A nice retreat after a long day in the parks. Plus, it is our favorite resort for eating. Even the counter service is great.

lockedoutlogic
10-31-2007, 08:46 PM

Why it would ever be a hard sell is beyond me. Talk about unique among vacation properties. How many others anywhere can boast zebra and giraffe views out your balcony while you sip your morning coffee?

We bought into AKV and would have bought into NO OTHER DVC property, period. Don't like any of the others well enough to make them a yearly vacation but AKV... no doubt. I could go there every couple months and never feel bored. It is a world unto itself and a nice respite from the hussle and bussle of WDW. A nice retreat after a long day in the parks. Plus, it is our favorite resort for eating. Even the counter service is great.

I agree with you...but the reality is that AKL has never been a good selling resort as compared to the others....and they significantly decreased the rack rate rooms after the first year...

It is often the last choice of many....that's just how it has been...

Those who don't try it are missing out...but yet they still stay away.

toyz33
11-06-2007, 01:08 PM

that is why we bought it as our home resort.

EpcotChic23
11-06-2007, 01:47 PM
My parents were in WDW last week and ate at the Concourse Steakhouse and the cast memeber that worked there said that the new building is going to be a new DVC when asked about the new renovations. She also added that they want the new shop to open on the 4th floor by end of Nov, just in time for the holiday season.