PDA

View Full Version : Clear the way, I'm on wheels!

pwdebbie
10-13-2007, 04:06 PM
ECVs and strollers were our nightmare in Disney.

We saw people hot-rodding through the parks on their ECVs, practically running people over. Or, they didn't know how to operate them and were practically running people over.

And, strollers, my goodness people, they are not weapons to use to barge through crowds! My heals were banged up, my toes scrunched, and my calves bruised by parents using their strollers (or kids in wheelchairs) to clear the way through people.

And it wasn't even crowded when we were there.

Not to mention the kids wearing wheelies. I thought these weren't allowed?

My husband and I were really appalled at the amount of rudeness we encountered while we were there by parents wielding weapons of strollers or wheelchairs.

Deb

WDWfanatic742
10-13-2007, 04:07 PM
You get those encounters all the time at Walt Disney World. Rude people that are in a hurry.

LibertyTreeGal
10-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Outside DL they actually do have signs forbidding wheelies, and so I was shocked to see so many pairs of them!

Jasper
10-13-2007, 04:29 PM
What makes this even scarier is that you see this kind of rudeness everywhere you go these days.

As for the wheelies, they can be very hard to spot if a kid isn’t actually using them as wheel when they come through the turnstiles and are being checked out by the Disney fashion police. While none of this makes it right, I do also have sympathy for cast members who do see them inside the parks and don’t say anything because those CM have so many other things they have to contend with that makes the wheelies a small part of their day.

Exo
10-13-2007, 04:30 PM
I hear ya!! And those two, three, and four across strollers. Come you people, it's like you're driving a tank through Disney if you have three + kids that need a stroller, you don't need to be at Disney with them. And the rudeness is unreal. Because I'm in a "little rascal" or "I have 60 kids, outta my way". Uggh. I long for the Disney of 70's and 80's. People were so nice back then. I want Adults Only days at Disney Theme Parks, if only once a year.

buzznwoodysmom
10-13-2007, 06:18 PM
if you have three + kids that need a stroller, you don't need to be at Disney with them.

Why not????

Iluvpooh
10-13-2007, 06:21 PM
I have always been one of those people who hated to see steamrolling by rude parnets in HUGE strollers. This is my first year being one of them.:blush: I hope I don't nick anyone next week.

I can't stand those roller skate shoes. The kids I've seen in them at the mall or football games are always going too fast and a little out of control. Also, there is almost no way that a walking parent can keep up with a child on them, so basically those kids are just running wild.

I have never had a problem with ECVs in the parks, except when parents let their kids drive or they park in front of me right before the parade starts.

GAN
10-13-2007, 06:21 PM
If elected, my first move as President of Disney Nation will be to create new ECV, Stroller, and Wheelie lanes at all the Parks. Speed limits to be strictly enforced by radar.

Iluvpooh
10-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Why not????

I was wondering the same thing. I have a 3yo and 4yo and they will both be in a stroller on this trip. Where would be a better place for me to take them- Paris, London, Hawaii, New Orleans, or WDW? I can't think of a better place to take "stroller" age children. If you can, I would love some suggestions for next years vacation.

AbeeNormal
10-13-2007, 06:31 PM
I hear ya!! And those two, three, and four across strollers. Come you people, it's like you're driving a tank through Disney if you have three + kids that need a stroller, you don't need to be at Disney with them. And the rudeness is unreal. Because I'm in a "little rascal" or "I have 60 kids, outta my way". Uggh. I long for the Disney of 70's and 80's. People were so nice back then. I want Adults Only days at Disney Theme Parks, if only once a year.

OK...... I don't mean to go soap box riding, but let's not ban kids for heavans sake. :soapbox:

I can't stand rude people that do that either but there are many polite ones too they just don't get noticed much because they aren't running you over, stopping in front of you to get something out of the stroller, crashing thru a crowd etc. :nono:

I think Mr. Disney would roll over in his grave if they had a no kids day, and frankly so would I.:stop:

Melanie
10-13-2007, 06:37 PM
:cop: Moderator Alert! :cop:

Just stepping in here quickly to remind all our members to be respectful when posting. Think of others before you hit that reply button. Let's stay on track, discuss this (sometimes controversial) subject like the adults we are, and keep this thread open! :thumbsup:

Exo
10-13-2007, 06:47 PM
Why not????

Because after 4 hours parents and kids that need a stroller tend to get very cranky. I've seen it, and I've been with Nieces and Nephews and their friends, going in at 10:00am by 1:00pm the kids are raising heck and the parents tempers are short.

If your kids can't walk half the day, then you go back to your hotel for a nap and come back, I recommend staying away for everyone else's enjoyment. :D

mouseaddict
10-13-2007, 07:40 PM
I am so over all of these rants about strollers and scooters...I really wish that the mods would ban these. First of all it does not belong in the Theme Park section. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes, then come and complain.

WDWfanatic742
10-13-2007, 07:54 PM
I don't think that most people in this thread were complaining specificly about ECV's or Wheelchairs, but about the strollers and the parent's who push them rudely at times in the parks, and the kids who were the Heeley's which CM's are instructed to tell kids to take them off if they see them. The statement with the kids in strollers and them not belonging in Disney was too much though...

merlinmagic4
10-13-2007, 07:57 PM
This thread has me laughing because I had an epiphany the last time I used a stroller at Disney (no, I never hit anyone). I was CONSTANTLY watching people walk beside me and then cut in front of me. It was a good thing I didn't hit them but I finally realized that the strollers aren't the problem........it's the people walking and cutting in front of the strollers !!!!!!!!!! And, no, I'm not slow and I'm not in a hurry. I walk with the crowds.

BTW, I too am tired of the complaining threads but I really think people without strollers need to watch and make sure they're not cutting people off. Of course, you have people at Disney who are trying to be courteous and have a great time and then you have people who are looking for trouble and don't notice any of the good stuff. I prefer to focus on the good.......there's a lot more of it!

wedway76
10-13-2007, 08:45 PM
I think that the WDW busses should have special trailer hitches that you can hook up all the ECVs to, maybe some kind of magnetic connection. It would be a lot faster than loading them onto the busses. ;)

TheRustyScupper
10-13-2007, 08:46 PM
1) If my ankle is hit from behind, automatic reflexes kick in.
2) The leg and foot automatically kick backward.
3) If an ECV, usually my Coke spills backward in trying to balance myself.

FireCricket
10-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Merlinmagic4 - you hit it on the head.

My DD turned 5 in August and Dec will be her 7th trip & we will be bringing the stroller [prob last time] for those long walks back to the bus/car at night.

It's amazing how when leaving Fantasmic - I make sure there is ample room between me and the people in front of me so I can break for sudden stops without hitting anyone. You always get the people who cut in front - thinking that there is space there for them so they can scurry to the bus 1 minute faster then anyone else. The first trips I used to worry so much about hitting them, but now it's like, "oh well". I don't go out of my way to hit them, but I can only do so much depending on how close they cut in front.

The whole point is rudeness overall. If you think that people with strollers have become worse - look around, it's everyone.

Try being in the front of a mob [show in front of castle] and trying to get out with no one giving way behind you while you try to back up your stoller. It was amazing how many people just ignored me until I pretty much forced my way through the crowd. I apologized and iterated excuse me, please let me through - but what else could I do?

I know the last trip in May I was astonished at what I saw people doing. {grown-ups cutting in front of kids at the castle show for autographs, parents sending there kids to characters without concern for lines, people giving castmembers a hard time, etc.]

But for every person I see like that - I see 10 that are caring and giving off the Disney magic. WDW is a cross-section of the world and those rude people are just plain rude, whether in WDW on an ECV or in TimBukTu driving a car.

buzznwoodysmom
10-13-2007, 09:28 PM
This thread has me laughing because I had an epiphany the last time I used a stroller at Disney (no, I never hit anyone). I was CONSTANTLY watching people walk beside me and then cut in front of me. It was a good thing I didn't hit them but I finally realized that the strollers aren't the problem........it's the people walking and cutting in front of the strollers !!!!!!!!!! And, no, I'm not slow and I'm not in a hurry. I walk with the crowds.

BTW, I too am tired of the complaining threads but I really think people without strollers need to watch and make sure they're not cutting people off. Of course, you have people at Disney who are trying to be courteous and have a great time and then you have people who are looking for trouble and don't notice any of the good stuff. I prefer to focus on the good.......there's a lot more of it!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I've been one of these "horrid" parents with 2 strollers plenty of times and I swear that the stroller parents are not the problem most of the time. I can't even begin to count how many times I've had people running into our strollers not watching where they were going, practically jumping over my children in a stroller just to get to a ride or line first, or stoping to look at a map or take a picture (a stroller is not the easiest thing to stop on a dime),oh the list could go on and on. I am sure there are some parent's who will use the stroller to barge through a crowd, but the majority of us with small children are not out to wreck our kids or strollers into other guests.

We've been once when our two children were ages 2 and 4 (both stroller age at that time). I'd hate to think that had we had two sets of twins(thus we'd have "three + children in a stroller" )that we should be banned from a place that was intended for families with or without children, even if for just one day. Some people on here just take things a little too far sometimes. My only suggestion to those who dispise parent's and kids with strollers so much, is to find another place to vacation, like sandels.

merlinmagic4
10-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Merlinmagic4 - you hit it on the head.

You know, I'm STILL laughing...........! It was such a "lightbulb" moment for me and I practically studied it for the rest of our trip. I'm going to videotape us walking next time we go so I can show people that this is what is really happening!

I had read many post complaining about strollers on Intercot so when I finally did realize what was happening, I almost whooped out loud!

Again, the majority of guests at WDW are kind, happy, courteous people. I really believe that. Maybe people just need to believe...........Maybe you get what you're looking for.

teambricker04
10-13-2007, 09:56 PM
I find this a frustrating topic. I am a mom with a double stroller. I hate being cut off when I walk, by anything even though I am sure that I have cut someone at some point during my stroller driving. It happens. I am more forgiving now that I "drive".

I am pretty sure that most of you don't go home after you WDW trip thinking about your worst moment and then remember all the kids in strollers or adults on wheels. Hopefully you leave WDW thinking about the fun, most happy moments.

Gottaluvgoof
10-13-2007, 10:17 PM

I guess you were never a kid, and your parents never had to push you or siblings in a stroller. My kids are all past stroller age, and we have been to Disney 10 times. I haven't been bothered by strollers or multiple child strollers at all. Maybe your attitude makes people want to hit you. I don't get it!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
10-13-2007, 11:42 PM
And the rudeness is unreal. Because I'm in a "little rascal" or "I have 60 kids, outta my way". Uggh. I long for the Disney of 70's and 80's. People were so nice back then. I want Adults Only days at Disney Theme Parks, if only once a year.

Well, as a parent of three, one of which was in a stroller on occasion last month, Your last statement seems a little "rude and unreal".

It was an adult, without kids or a stroller, that blantantly cut in front of my 4 year old daughter and I while she patiently waited for her Mickey ice cream. It was the adult without a child or stroller that turned and looked at my little girl when I nicely said to him "I am sorry, she was next" and proceeded to place his order. Was it a big deal that she was next and had to wait for one more person? Not really. But, I am teaching my kids that being courteous and pleasant is important. That they will not, under any circumstances, walk in front of someone else or "cut" in a line. That adult was rude and inconsiderate. Even if he did not have a stroller or ECV with him.

My point is, to make a statement that suggests having an Adult Only day would end all rudeness for a day and everything would be perfect is kind of a silly one.

The funny thing is...I forgot all about that situation until I read this post. It was a non issue in regards to our vacation.

I agree 100% that there are people that use strollers and ECV's in a rude way. Our DD hardly used her stroller this trip at 4 and I can't wait to be stroller free next year. Trust me, it is not a walk in the park to use one in a place like WDW. Even on a slow day.

I guess I feel like this subject always tends to lump all things rude in Disney with strollers and ECV's. There are a lot of stroller and ECV users that are pleasant and courteous of others. Even if they happen to, dare I say it, stop in the middle of a walk way to look at something their child is excited about and forget that the 50 people behind them are in a hurry to get to a parade. :hide::soapbox:

Melanie
10-13-2007, 11:46 PM
The stroller, ECV, Heely, etc. threads usually end up like this - going around in circles with hurt feelings along the way. There are rude stroller etc. folks, but there are also just as many nice stroller, etc. folks. This discussion is not very INTERCOT like, and not really serving a purpose, so it is now closed.

Let's get back to planning our vacations! :thumbsup: