PDA

View Full Version : Would you stay with the ghosts?

ImagiAsh
10-13-2007, 12:18 PM
I am currently working on a research project and decided to get some help from INTERCOT! We all know about the chance to stay in the Castle for a night, but what about other theme park landmarks/rides? More specifically, since this happens to be Halloween month, what about the "scarier" rides? Would you dare to stay in one of Disney's spookier structures for a night? Take your pick. And, if you'd like to help further with my research, feel free to answer the following questions in reply:

1) What place did you choose?
2) Why?
3) Would you want some of the spooky effects included in your room to enhance the experience?
4) Do you think Disney should consider theming a hotel after one of these darker rides? (Specifically, the one you chose)
5) If you answered "yes" to the previous question, what specific feature(s) would you want in the hotel to enhance the similarities to the ride you chose?

Bonus Question: I know lots of people are hoping for Disney to better accommodate families of 5. My question is: what do you think the best room layout for a family of five should be? (Ex. 1 Full and 3 twins)

Thank you so much for any help! I am interested to hear your responses!:mickey:

Goofeygal
10-13-2007, 01:31 PM
I picked the Haundted Mansion because it has always been my personal favorite and my DS. Oh by the way it is not Alien Encounter anymore it is Stiches Great Escape. I am not sure how well a darker themed hotel would go over at Disney. Good luck on your research.:mickey::number1:

ImagiAsh
10-13-2007, 01:52 PM
I picked the Haundted Mansion because it has always been my personal favorite and my DS. Oh by the way it is not Alien Encounter anymore it is Stiches Great Escape. I am not sure how well a darker themed hotel would go over at Disney. Good luck on your research.:mickey::number1:

Thanks for your input! And yes, I know it is Stitches Great Escape now, but I think Alien Encounter was significantly scarier, so I decided to throw it up there as an option. :D

kim1st
10-13-2007, 03:45 PM
HM would definitely make the best resort stay...it's dark and spooky but it's such a classic and has enough silliness that it could be done 'light" enough for a hotel stay.

I want a ghost to show up in my room's mirror whenever I look in it...

As far as the bed configs...any configuration where two kids aren't in the same bed is really the best. For some reason, it's hard to put siblings in the same bed without them constantly bugging each other.

Jasper
10-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Given the opportunity I would jump at the chance to stay at any of them!! However, since you were being mean and forced us to select only one ;) I had to choose the Haunted Mansion.

I just think it would be fun to see in person how everything works and I especially like the idea of sitting down at the table in the dining room scene and seeing what things look like from that perspective. (How's that for a run-on sentence?)

GrmGrninGost
10-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Being the GrmGrningGost, I think I'd be right at home in the Haunted Mansion! :hmghost:

cal5755
10-13-2007, 07:09 PM
HAUNTED MANSION

2) Why?
THERE IS MORE IN THE HAUNTED MANSION AND I THINK IT WOULD BE COOL TO SLEEP IN THE ATTIC SCENE!!

3) Would you want some of the spooky effects included in your room to enhance the experience?
ABSOLUTELY -- ESPECIALLY HITCHIKING GHOSTS AND THE BRIDE.

4) Do you think Disney should consider theming a hotel after one of these darker rides?
(Specifically, the one you chose)
I THINK IF THEY ARE GOING TO DO A SPOOKY THEME THEY SHOULD DO ALL OF THEM....HAVE SEPERATE BUILDINGS PER RIDE.

5) If you answered "yes" to the previous question, what specific feature(s) would you want in the hotel to enhance the similarities to the ride you chose?
RESORT CMS DRESSED THE PART, FOOD COURT FOOD THEMED AS WELL.

Bonus Question: I know lots of people are hoping for Disney to better accommodate families of 5. My question is: what do you think the best room layout for a family of five should be?
WE ARE A FAMILY OF 5. ONE DOUBLE BED AND A BUNK BED WITH TWIN TOP AND DOUBLE BOTTOM WOULD BE NICE. 2 KIDS SHARE THE BOTTOM ONE GETS THE TOP.

ImagiAsh
10-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks for your help so far! I am enjoying hearing everyone's opinions! :thumbsup:

NJBelle
10-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Haunted Mansion
2) Why?
I'm a dare devil and although HM scares me (yeah, yeah, yeah, I've heard all the jokes before) I'd want to sleep there just for the dare of it. (also I had a dream that I was lost in HM and had to sleep there, so it'd be very cool to do that)
YES! MUHAHAHA!
4) Do you think Disney should consider theming a hotel after one of these darker rides? (Specifically, the one you chose)
Well, no. Last time I went on HM there was a little girl scared out of her wits. She was just sobbing and kept telling her mom, "I don't want to ghosts to get me!" So a hotel would be creepy. Now a Holly Wood Tower Hotel on the other hand.....
Well, the CMs should all dress the way they dress for the ride. The rooms should have cob webs in the corners of the ceiling. The wardrobes should be in the shape of coffins. The food court should have some of those portates that change. And everything should have an old fashioned look about it.
Bonus Question: I know lots of people are hoping for Disney to better accommodate families of 5. My question is: what do you think the best room layout for a family of five should be? (Ex. 1 Full and 3 twins)
I'm hoping for better accommodations for families of 7! What we did last time was we got too joined rooms. We had two kids to a bed and at the time we had a 1 yr old and he slept in the portable crib. I actually don't know what we're going to do this year.... *scurries off to ask the TASC (Travle and Spread-sheet Coordinator) aka Mom* Sorry, I probably didn't help much. :blush:

Diznee4Me
10-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Another Haunted Mansion fan
2) Why? I didn't think E:E, ToT or AE had quite the themeing as HM or Dino. I'm not saying E:E ot ToT doesn't have great theming but in both cases they are limited to the que. The up and down of ToT and the coaster track of E:E doesn't leave much room to stay over night! :D Dino was my second choice but HM was more in line with the holiday.
3) Would you want some of the spooky effects included in your room to enhance the experience? Ballroom dancers and the library - love to read!
4) Do you think Disney should consider theming a hotel after one of these darker rides? (Specifically, the one you chose) I could easily see a ToT themed Hotel - they've already got the facade figured out :D - but a entire hotel themed like the HM would be pretty interesting. If done correctly it could be pretty neat.
5) If you answered "yes" to the previous question, what specific feature(s) would you want in the hotel to enhance the similarities to the ride you chose? I think the room should remain simple - don't want to scare the kids. The dining area, the lobby, pool area (the seaweed covered seaman comes to mind) maybe the paintings in the hallways, could all be HM themed.

Bonus Question: I know lots of people are hoping for Disney to better accommodate families of 5. My question is: what do you think the best room layout for a family of five should be? (Ex. 1 Full and 3 twins) We are a family of 3 so the problem never arises. If the rooms were alittle larger I would like to see two queens and maybe a single. The kids could swap off sleeping alone.

martinfamily5
10-16-2007, 10:52 AM
I chose HM. I would love the opportunity to walk around in there. I don't know about the hotel.

As far as rooms sleeping 5, the ideal situation for us would be 1 queen bed and a triple bunk:thumbsup:. My kids are getting older and the 2 girls don't enjoy sharing a bed.

poeticeclipse
10-16-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm sure that my husband would pick Dinosaur because he loves them! I'm terrified and would want nothing to do with winning a night stay with a bunch of prehistoric monsters. :)

I WOULD however LOVE to stay in ToT. I think it'd be great to have a room towards the top of the Tower. It'd be neat to have sound fed into the rooms so you could hear screams from people riding the attraction. For the room design I think of a very periodic room (of course) with the similar deserted ambiance of the lobby. Almost as though one room was restored just for that special family. You have to take a really neat haunted elevator to your room. Everything right down to your key is all in the same time period. Some dress up clothes in the room's closet so you could really get in the mood.

As for a "haunted" themed hotel... well I know that I would love it but I don't think that it's as family friendly as many other of the WDW resorts are.

Figgyluv03
10-16-2007, 01:01 PM
I think I agree with Everyone on this one as well, The Haunted Mansion! What a perfect Halloween place to stay. Of course my 2nd Choice would be ToT.

Cinderelley
10-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Tower of Terror
2) Why?
It's already a hotel, and I love the decor of the place

I would have to borrow from HM and have "hitchhiking ghosts" randomly appear in the mirror.

4) Do you think Disney should consider theming a hotel after one of these darker rides?
Yes. Actually, I think a hotel with different ride areas like Pop has different decades or CBR has different islands.

Each area would be themed like the queue of the ride with the appropriate music playing in the lobby. Doom buggies could take you to your room at the HM area. Bell hops could help you into the elevator at the ToT area. The Yeti could growl in the hallways of the EE area with blasts of cold air every once in a while. Never saw Alien Encounter, so I can't comment on that one. The food court area could be set up like in HM with dancing "ghosts"

1 Full bed with the type of bunk beds that have a full mattress on the bottom and a twin on the top. This would be my preferred layout.

or
1 Full bed, 1 bunk bed with a twin on top and a twin on bottom and a daybed. This would give each of the kids their own bed.

IloveDisney71
10-16-2007, 10:50 PM
I responded to your questions in red:

1) What place did you choose? HM
2) Why? It's one of my favorite rides and I think it's theming lends itself to a stay.
3) Would you want some of the spooky effects included in your room to enhance the experience? I would like the ghosts in the mirror and the madame in her crystal ball. And I would love to have a "spooky" bellboy!
4) Do you think Disney should consider theming a hotel after one of these darker rides? (Specifically, the one you chose) Maybe a resort with different sections themed after different rides??? I'm not sure this would hold enough appeal, with the general public, for it to work.
The same things I mentioned in answer to #3.
I would like to see a queen bed, and either 3 twins OR 1 twin and bunkbeds.
I don't like all of the pull-out beds that are offered in the ASM resort. Every pull-out I've ever slept felt terrible! We opted to have 2 rooms for 5 people instead of the family suite at ASM for that very reason.

Flower
10-16-2007, 11:40 PM

Haunted Mansion

2) Why?

I think more for nostalgia reasons, it is the oldest of all of the attractions and one of our favorite. I also think the lighting inside the ride is good, whereas with TT it is so dark there is not a lot to see - except for the library and boiler room, which, let's face it, a boiler room hotel room would just be depressing!

Yes, but as several posters said - not so scary that it would scare the kids. But how cool would the eye wallpaper be in a hotel room?!!! Especially now with the new effects and 'moving, glowing' eyes! Maybe it could be used in the hallway leading to your room.

Architecturally I think it could be amazing - a big fireplace in the lobby, an 'attic' lounge, very unique. I could see it just becoming more of an all-star type hotel with big icons out front and generic theming elsewhere if it were not done all the way.I think my boys would one day love to stay in a dinosaur-themed room.

Using HM as an example, period wallpaper and luxurious comforters, upper rooms with solariums, rose gardens, big over-sized chairs.

I hated the beds at POP last week - way too small! I would love a Queen or King bed for mom & dad, a bunk-bed for the kids would be awesome, maybe the style that has a double on the bottom and single on top, but I would like a sofa in the room for more space and comfort. They also make the bunk beds with a pull-out fouton/sofa on the bottom and single on top, I don't think that would be as comfortable though and the fouton-style mattress would wear away too fast.

I have to say, we stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara Falls Canada in the summer, and they had a great layout to their rooms. Ours was 2 queen beds and a pull-out sofa - tons of room with a half-wall between the sofa and the beds. The pictures of their den rooms look awesome and I know my boys would love to stay in one of their cabin-themed rooms when they are older.

LauraleeH
10-16-2007, 11:49 PM
Haunted Mansion
2) Why?
It's my favorite ride!
Probably not actual effects. If you get too close to the magic, you just might figure out how it's done, which will ruin it for some ;)
I've never thought about that until now, and I am dying to stay at the HM resort now!!! ;)
Well I think as beautiful as the victorian look of the HM is, the resort should be deluxe. They could make a really nice sit-down restaurant that could be more "spooky themed" since it would be mostly adults eating there. And then a quick-serve restaurant (Maybe with long tables, like in the ride) that would be more family friendly.

Geez, I think if that really happened, I would honestly move in. At least, I would part-time!

mttafire
10-17-2007, 12:39 AM
H.M.
Why?
I think by yourself all night long, It WOULD be a bit creepy.:blush:

c&d
10-17-2007, 02:20 PM
I chose Tower to Terror. I think staying there at night would be spectacular if the room were on the upper floor and you had windows so you could watch the fireworks at MK and Epcot.

I don't think theming an entire hotel after one of the rides would work. However, a themed room based on one of the rides in each category of hotel would be great. The cost of the room should only be a little over the cost of a regular room, that way everyone would get to enjoy it, not just those able to pay for it.

PlutoLover
10-17-2007, 03:33 PM
1. I'm torn between Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror.

2. I LOVE horror and Halloween and these are my 2 favorite rides.

3. I would definitely want spooky effects in my room, but not while I'm trying to sleep :eek:

4. I personally would love a horror hotel but I'm not sure how popular it would be. I would think most families would opt against it for the sake of their children. Even kids that LOVE scary don't normally LOVE it at bedtime..Now if it was adult only it might book up better for all the couples that want a child free hotel.

5. I love the old Hollywood look to Tower but from HM I would love the hitchhiking ghosts floating around and the themed pool should look like a graveyard.

Let me know when they build this so I can move to Orlando and get a job there :thumbsup:

thrillme
10-17-2007, 04:25 PM
This is a rather fun thread

I chose Tower of Terror

2) Why?

...because it's already a hotel although I was very tempted to choose haunted mansion

That would be fun...as soon as you turn on the lights...perhaps from time to time a shadow would pass through and when you look in the mirror a family member would appear etc...maybe instead of real windows it's a stormy scene...of course this would only be for the SPECIAL room. The rest of the rooms will be 1930's themed with modern conveniences of course.

Most DEFINATELY...I think it would be more popular than people might think...it might not be fabulous for real little kids but...sometimes you've got to realize not everything is about the little kids...it would be fun to add some thrills and uniquness for older kids, teens and adults.

Lots of Chandeliers and to have some ghosties (hotel guests) pop up throughout the hotel at night...Maybe some lights flickering in the lobby...doors that open with that neon light..it would be soooo much fun. Maybe some B&W episodes of the twilight zone playing in the food court or gift shop. Maybe a mirror that when you look into it you and your family appear white as a ghost...

Either a 1 King or 2 queens, a bunkbed with a twin on top and a full on the bottom. That should definately support 5 people. Unless they are totally obsessive about everybody having their individual bed in that case have a pull out sleeper sofa. But usually 2 adults and a small child fit nicely on a king then the two older children or 3rd adult will do fine on the bunk bed. OR...two adults on the 1st queen, 3rd adult or oldest child/teen on the 2nd queen and then the two youngest children on the bunks. Bunks are great...they don't take up much room.

A third idea would be one queen and a bunk bed with two singles and a trundle bed. That would really maximize space in a small room.

dolphinmickey9170
10-17-2007, 09:19 PM
2) Why?

1. Tower of Terror!!

2. My ultimate favorite ride in all of WDW!!

3. I would love it if Sally Shine, Carolyn Crawson, Ms. Partridge, Dewey (the bell hop) and Gilbert London could join me in my room.

4 & 5. Can you imagine staying in a hotel like ToT? Take me to the 1930's and have a blast. That would be the BEST themed hotel ever!! It would have to be exactly like it is when you walk through the door, minus the cobwebs and dust, of course. Although, if you took that away, you wouldn't have the right theme would you? So I guess I would leave it just the way it is. I just couldn't sleep with all that dust. I would have to have the elevator to take me to the main floor after a wonderful nights sleep. Can we also have "Q" take care of the place?

Okay, just leave everything the way it is, don't change a thing, except to add rooms and me to be there every second of every day!!

Bonus: I feel that a full size bed and three bunks that criss-cross each other built into a taller room would be awesome. Or even 1 full and two sets of bunk beds would alleviate the crunch families of 5 must face.

Thanks for the great question. Let us know how your research goes.

animalkingdomguy
10-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Haunted Mansion. No Contest. Wouldn't be wonderful if Disney created a dream suite there aswell.

magicman
10-22-2007, 04:11 PM
I voted Tower of Terror because it is set up so well for a hotel stay. (I almost voted Alien Encounter because I'm assuming they would have to get rid of Stitch to bring back AE first.);)