PDA

View Full Version : Maelstrom with 15 month old

andypooh
10-13-2007, 10:22 AM
We are going to DW in 3 weeks. Should we take our 15 month old son on Maelstrom?

karenrarintogo
10-13-2007, 10:43 AM
I think it would be fine for any age. A little scary at times--just keep a firm and reassuring arm around your little one.
Very fun ride; not to miss!:cloud9::cloud9:

karenrarintogo
10-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Oops! Backtrack! (which you will do on this ride! :mickey:). Somewhere I just read minimum age restriction on this ride is 3 years old....you may need to check this restriction out! :confused:

Ruprect
10-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Oops! Backtrack! (which you will do on this ride! :mickey:). Somewhere I just read minimum age restriction on this ride is 3 years old....you may need to check this restriction out! :confused:

We took our 7 month old and 2 year old on it so I don't think there is any restrictions.

Kairi_7378
10-13-2007, 10:56 AM
I think you will be fine. It's a nice ride with plenty of things for a 15 month old to look at. I don't remember there being a height restriction for it. There isn't one for pirates, which also has a drop.

chick20679
10-13-2007, 11:00 AM
The ride is a little dark at points and has the trolls.... they could be scary depending on how you look at it.
If your son doesn't scare easily, I say take him. If he's afraid of the dark though, I would think twice. But that goes for some other rides too.
I think it really depends alot on your child and his personality.

MickeyMousse
10-13-2007, 11:10 AM
We took our youngest on it at 12 months and he was fine. Of course, I had my hands on him throughout the ride, and when in total darkness whispered to him to reassure that everything was fine.....it has now, years later, turned out to be one of his favorite rides!:thumbsup:

Gator
10-13-2007, 03:09 PM
At that age, I don't think kids are scared of anything. Of course, I'm only going by my own DD's reaction. She was 17 months and was just fine. The bear and the trolls didn't effect her. She even liked the little drop. The trip in general will be fun. It will be an "awakening" of their senses. Get lots of pics and video.

dumbo ears
10-13-2007, 03:11 PM
I think that it will be okay. there aren't any big drops and you dont get wet.

momof3+twins
10-13-2007, 03:14 PM
All of my kids have been on it before age 2. Their never was a problem. Just, be sure that you hold on to the little one right after you start to go backwards ( because that is when the drop is). Otherwise you are okay. I don't think it is scary. My (last trip a then 2 year old) son didn't seem scared. But, he did hide his eyes on every ride after Haunted Mansion until about 2 rides before we left.

kim1st
10-13-2007, 03:36 PM
My kids hated it. Granted, it was after DD 5 had been on Dinosaur and after we had tried taking both of them into "It's tough to be a bug" earlier that day.

A child under 2 might do better, because they might not know to be scared of the trolls and the polar bears.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
10-13-2007, 11:57 PM
My kids have never been scared of this ride. My daughter is not too thrilled with the troll eyes but, she just looks the other way.

I think the drop on POTC is more of an issue then this ride. But that is just my opinion. I have taken all of my kids on it under the age of 1 so physically your son should be fine. (Not that POTC is an issue either..lol...Just trying to give you an example. :))

Have a great time!!

hockeymom
10-14-2007, 05:03 AM
I think that he should be fine as well.

A Big Kid
10-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Wee took our youngest at about 2 years old. The rest of the time in WDW she kept repeating," no more tunnels!" It totally freaked her out and every ride after that, we had to reassure here that there were "no more tunnels."

frakers
10-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Our older son was just under 6 months old for his first ride there and he did fine. The little ones seem to have no problems from what I have seen and experienced.

bkfree
10-14-2007, 06:20 PM
I think is one of those rides that it could go either way for a child of that age. Some would not really notice the scary parts while others may scream the entire time. I have seen both reactions. In our group of 6 kids ages 3 -9, some loved it and some were really scared and will not get on it again.
Hope for the best, be prepared for the worst.

SoaringEpcot
10-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Our DS was 14 months when we went last. He loved anything that had to do with boats. Now he is 3 1/2 and at times does get scared. I have not really though about it but he may not wan't to go on it this year when we go in December, and if we do get him on it he may not want to get on any other rides. Has anyone else experienced this?

mjaclyn
10-15-2007, 10:11 AM
We just took our DD 11 mos on this ride and she was fine. I don't think there is any age or height restriction. It can be somewhat dark and there are trolls, so if your 15 month old gets scared easily, I might skip it.

Dyanna
10-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Just retruned this past Friday & took DD 10 months old. She was fine on the ride. There is a drop towards the end so make sure to remember this & hold onto your DS.